ch5

Thawing

Nayoung, Kyungwon, Eunwoo, Yebin, Kyulkyung, Yewon, Sungyeon, Xiyeon and Kyla are having lunch together. The 9 of them have been performing songs written by themselves every month during lunch performances. They are having an urgent meeting.

 

“Everyone here?” Nayoung starts counting. “Okay, let’s start. Now, our first performance will be on 18 April. There will be both dance and band performances this time. The songs and dances have been arranged already. I know Kyulkyung won’t be back before 23rd so she won’t be able to join us this month. However, the choreography has been arranged and it has included Kyul. We need to find somebody to replace her. I remember Kyulkyung has to sing and play the guitar and be the lead vocal for our band performance. I guess it’s better if we can find someone who knows both dancing and playing the guitar.”

 

Xiyeon asks, “This is troublesome. Can’t we just change the choreography? Besides, not all of us are performing in the band. We can just find someone here to replace Kyulkyung unnie during the band performance. I remember Sungyeon isn’t going to perform this time.”

 

Sungyeon makes a cross with her arms. “I’m having my piano exams soon. I can’t possibly practice two instruments at the same time. I’ll get confused. I have to dance also. I don’t have such time.”

 

“Chungha is too busy to rearrange the choreo either. We got no other choices...so who should we choose? It would be better if we know that person.” She looks at Kyungwon, “Bu-leader, do you know anyone that can help?”

 

Kyungwon glances at Yebin, who is now playing with her spaghetti, pretending that she is not listening. Kyungwon knows Yebin and her are thinking of the same person now. Someone they know who knows how to play the guitar and knows a little bit about dancing. Looking at her sister’s reaction, she thinks that it’s better not to mention her name. Minkyung hasn’t tell her bestie anything about their progress and so Kyungwon believes that it’s better to stay quiet. She pouts and shakes her head.

 

Suddenly, Yewon shouted, “Omo, Kyungwon unnie. I know who we can find! Why can’t we think of her? We can find Mi...mmmffffffff”

 

Kyungwon stuffs Yewon’s mouth with her hamburger. “Yewon ah, you should start eating or else you won’t be able to finish it before lunch ends.”

 

Kyla asks carefully, “Who is it, Yewon unnie? I’m curious.”

 

Kyungwon replies immediately, “Illa yah, it’s not important. Let’s think of…”

 

Yebin interrupts, “She was going to say Minkyung unnie. Kim Minkyung, the new student in our class. My seatmate, Yewon’s cousin, Kyungwon unnie’s bestie since she was in Australia. Yeah, I guess she’s the best one to choose. Most of us know her and we can ask her easily. She knows how to play the guitar and she had been to dance studios for awhile. I’m not sure how long. We can find her.”

 

Krrgh Krrrgh Krrrrgh Krrgh Krrrrgh. Kyungwon, who is drinking her coke, chokes. “OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST. Kang Yebin, are you feeling unwell? You wanted to kill me for mentioning her name weeks ago and now, you suggest us to find her and join our team? You’re not sleeptalking, right? Are you sober?”

 

Eunwoo smiled, “Oh beansssss. I’m glad you’re listening to our advice.”

 

Kyungwon grabs Eunwoo’s shoulder, “WHAT HAPPENED???!! JUNG EUNWOO, JOOKYULKYUNG, DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU TWO??? I DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU HAD DONE BUT THANK YOU FOR WAKING MY STUBBORN SISTER UP! OH MY GOD YOU GUYS ARE GENIUSES!”

 

Eunwoo and Kyulkyung smiles at each other.  

 

Nayoung adds, “I heard from Kyungwon that you feel awkward when you are with Minkyung alone and there will be a dance break for you and Kyulkyung. You sure?”

 

“Yeah, as long as it’s for our team. I’m fine with it. Besides, I’m trying to treat her like other classmates. It’ll be okay.”

 

“Great, then my sis, you go ask her whether she wants to join or not.”

 

“Wait no, I’m not doing so. You’re her best friend and the bu-leader of the team. You should be the one asking.” It’s true that Yebin’s wants to keep a platonic relationship with Minkyung, but still she wants to keep distance. She avoids being the one to ask her questions first.

 

“Huh. Expected. As your sister, I know you’re a coward when it comes to Kim Minkyung.”

 

The 3 middle school girls are getting confused. They know nothing about this new student Minkyung who has relationship with so many of their friends.

 

Xiyeon stands up, “Sungyeon unnie, Kyla, let’s go. We’re not involved in the convo.”

 

The high school girls stop their discussion.

 

“Awww, wuli Xiyeonnie is sulky, right? Sorry for leaving you guys out. Let Kyulkyung unnie explain what’s going.”

 

Yebin rolls her eyes. Now, all of her friends know about Kim Minkyung.

 

After listening, Sungyeon exclaims, “Oh god! I never know Kang Yebin will fall for people! I thought she only like books and sports in her life!”

 

“Yah, Baesung! I’m a human. I like people!”

 

“No wonder she rejected Soyeon then,” Evil Xiyeon smirked. “That Minkyung unnie must be very beautiful HAHAHAHAHAHA. I can’t wait to know her more and then I can finally find something to tease Yebin unnie HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA”

 

Yebin rolls her eyes. She gives up.

 

Kyla taps at Yebin’s shoulder, “Unnie. I’m here! Although I I have no idea why things end up like this, I’ll still be supporting you!”

 

Phew I’m glad there’s still somebody normal here.

 

Yewon points at the tall girl passing by the table, “Look! It’s her. How ‘bout asking her now?”

 

“Minky yah!!!!” Kyungwon waves and smiles. Nice timing tho. Yebin thought.

 

Minkyung walks to the table.

 

Xiyeon whispers to Kyulkyung, “Holy . She’s gorgeous. No wonder why aual Kang Yebin would like her.

 

Park Xiyeon. I’m not ing aual okay?!

 

Nayoung greets and tells Minkyung their request. “Would you like to join us?”

 

“This sounds fun but I think somebody isn’t welcoming me.” She looks at Yebin, who is now eating her lunch and refuses to look up.

 

Nayoung adds, “She asked us to find you.”

 

Minkyung’s eyes widen. Looks like she really wants to improve our relationship.

 

“Okay then. I’m in!” Minkyung is anticipated. She can’t wait to see Yebin dancing, singing and playing drums. She can’t wait to find more chances to talk to Yebin.

 

She hopes she will soon find out why Yebin had decided to leave her.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

It's recess time. Yewon is talking to Minkyung in her classroom. She’s finding Kyulkyung but she hasn’t return.

 

Yebin enters the classroom slowly, bending down her body and with one hand pressing on her stomach. She puts down her books, sits down and lies her head on the desk, pulling her hair due to pain.

 

Yewon jumps when she see Yebin who is now messing her hair, “My goodness. What’s going on?”

 

“I’m fine. Monday pains. Nothing special.”

 

Minkyung remembers Yebin having a regular stomachache once a week or sometimes once a month since she knew her.

 

Yewon continues, “Are you sure?? You’re obviously not fine. Do you need to go to the washroom?”

 

“I just need some rest. I’m okay,” Yebin lies. She knows that she’s not okay. She feels her stomach expanding and the muscles contracting. She feels like dying.

 

“She’s suffering from stomachache not intestine troubles, Yewon ah. Aren’t you finding Kyulkyung? I saw her entering just now.” Minkyung is worried. She remembers whenever Yebin was tortured by the pain, the only way to feel better lie down and sleep. Immediately, she sits back, offering her lap for Yebin.

 

She pats her lap, “Hey. You need this. Lie down.”

 

Yebin is surprised. She never see Minkyung offering her lap for someone to lie on, not even her sister when she insisted to sleep on Minkyung laps when they went for a picnic. However, the pain was too hard to stand. She’s too tired to think of the reason behind Minkyung’s action.

 

However, though she’s dying, she won’t forget she has to keep distance. She shakes her head.

 

“Arghhhhh. Can you just take care of yourself better and say yes to help that is needed? Everytime you had that stupid pain, you lied down and felt better. I have no idea why you still let your weekly pain untreated for years,” Minkyung moves Yebin’s body and presses her head down onto her lap, without Yebin’s consent. She brushes her hair so that Yebin can sleep better. Please take care of yourself Kang Yebin. It hurts seeing you in pain.

 

Yebin is too weak to struggle and she eventually gives up fighting with Minkyung. She loves and hates Minkyung for being so caring and thoughtful. She peeks at the taller girl above.

 

Stop being so caring, please. I’m controlling myself. Can you make things less tiring?

 

“Woah, they legit look like a couple.” Yewon scoops her head down between Eunwoo and Kyulkyung as she exclaims.

 

“AWWWWW I’M SHIPPING THEM. MINKYUNG YEBIN MINKYEBIN!” Eunwoo is hyped to see her friend finally sticking her head into somebody’s lap but not a textbook.

 

“Yewon ah, is your cousin gay? Or is she bi? She won’t be straight I guess, judging how she treats Yebin.”

 

“Ergh….ummm...I’m not sure. You better ask Kyungwon unnie.”

 

“Aren’t you her cousin, Kim Yewon?” Eunwoo rolls her eyes.

 

“Ergh….Yeah but she seldom talks about her stuff. But I remember she doesn’t like...” Just then, Mr. Ma enters the classroom. Yewon rushes to her classroom without finishing her sentence because she realises that she’s late for her class.

 

“DOESN'T LIKE WHAT?!” Eunwoo shouts. “HANA YAHHH???”

 

“Ok. Jung, thanks for reminding us that you’re throat is in good condition today. Save it for later. And...um...Minkyung, what happened? You should know that it isn’t really good to see students lying on each other.”

 

Everyone laugh, especially her friends Kyulwoo who are booing and teasing the girl. Minkyung’s cheek flushes red, “Yebin is unwell and she needs to lie down for the time-being and she doesn’t want to miss class so…” Yebin is sleeping soundly, not able to sense and know how Minkyung’s heart racing due to Mr. Ma’s statement.

 

“I guess she’s already unable to attend class, at least this class. She’s not even moving even it’s already like a market here. If you let her lie like this, you also won’t be able to attend class. Take her down to the medical room, Minkyung.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Yebin returns to class after sleeping in the medical room. Minkyung and Eunwoo are packing their Economics textbooks while Kyulkyung and Yebin are taking their lab coats for Biology lessons.

 

Yebin meets Minkyung as she reaches the locker. “You should better go see the doctor.”

 

“Nah. It’s nothing special. I feel better before going to the clinic. There’s no use for me to see the doctor.”

 

“But it has been years since you’re having this weekly pain, and you still need to lie down in order to solve the problem. I don’t know whether your pain is still that frequent or not but your pain is still happening and therefore, the problem worsens and hasn’t improved at all. I don’t think you should wait.”

 

“I’m really fine. Seeing the doctor will just be a waste of money and a waste of time.”

 

“But, babe. You’re wasting yourself.” Yebin freezes and the older girl walks away.

 

Minkyung looks back and sees her babe standing like a rock, holding her lab coat. She giggles, walks back and grabs Yebin’s hand. “You’re going to be late. Babe.”

 

Yebin won’t tell anyone and doesn’t know how to explain that feeling when Minkyung grabs her hands. She feels storm waves hitting her rocky heart and thoughts of keeping distance with the tall attractive girl in front of her start to wear away.

 

The girls wave goodbye at the door of the classroom because the lab is in the West Wing and Economics class are at the East Wing. As they started walking, Eunwoo hears some whispers and laughter behind her. She looks back and see some boys pointing at Kyulkyung’s dress. There are a few blood stains on her dress.

 

Immediately, Eunwoo throws her books to Minkyung. “I’m sorry. Would you mind holding these for a sec?” She takes off her cardigan and ran to Kyulkyung.

 

“Oh, ok.” And her eyes follow where Eunwoo is running to.

 

Eunwoo isn’t able to slow down, giving Kyulkyung a strong, impactful back hug while wrapping her cardigan around Kyulkyung waist, resting her head on her crush’s shoulder and tying her cardigan.

 

Kyulkyung is surprised by Eunwoo’s actions. “Nunu..?”

 

She whispers at her ear, “Shhh, let this be there. I see some boys are staring and laughing just now. I hate seeing them doing this to you. I might as well punch them if they continue.”

 

“Oh ...did I…?”

 

“Yes babe so don’t take it off. I’m going to fetch a new dress for you later. The lab is quite far away from the office so let me do it, okay? Now go to the lab. You’ll be scolded by Ms Song if you’re late again.”

 

Eunwoo doesn’t know where she gains her courage but before Kyulkyung can react, the latter feels a peck on her cheek and she sees Eunwoo runs away.

 

Minkyung smiles weakly as she watches Eunwoo’s actions. Her eyes fall on the girl next to the pair and sighs. Sometimes looking at the pair makes her think of the old days. She feels happy for the pair, happy that they don’t have to worry that one of them will suddenly disappear and refuses to speak to the other. 

 

 

 

 

: hi guys!! im back! sorry for not updating for so long :( my exams haven't finished yet but my next exam will be on thurs so i'd managed to finish this chapter:) i found out that my chapters are getting longer and longer because im being greedy and i want to add all ideas i can think of into the story...(i made a list and there are almost 20 of them including kyulwoo and jiaqixyuha loveline) will this be too long for you guys?? hope you all enjoy reading this story <3 subscribe, vote and give me some feedback! i may update the story more often after my exams! ily<3