Letter #2

101 Letters

Dear JiHyun-Yang-ie,

 

How are you? Have you already started your summer travels? If so, please travel well and eat well and don't do anything too crazy ><
 

It's hard for me to believe it but my first week of training is already over. The time seems to have gone fast; but it also feels like I've been here forever. We're getting used to the routine here. I mentioned my squad before. These are the guys that I room with. But we're also part of a larger platoon. There's thirty of us and we do everything together: morning runs, taking our meals, classes and training, showering, etc.
 

I thought I would be too busy to the point of exhaustion. But actually there is a lot of sitting and waiting around for roll call or our turn for each schedule which actually feels harder. That's the time I miss my phone the most. I feel like I'm missing an arm or a leg since I keep reaching for it and expecting it to be there. The hardest part is not knowing how everyone is doing.
 

Getting letters have become the highlight of my days (hint, hint) because then I feel connected again to the outside world. Did you know I've become quite the prolific writer? When I sit and count it out I've probably written over ten letters now. My handwriting has gotten worse though (sorry). 
 

One of the more interesting things this week is the Buddhist religious service over the weekend. My mother would be happy to know that I attended. But between you and me, the Choco Pies they hand out are an extremely popular motivation.  Even though we are fed well, there are no snacks or sweets at meals. So that sugar tastes so good. Maybe thats why military men tend to go to services more often? Haha.
 

I still have the Mala beads you gave me. I keep it safe in my locker but every morning I'll say a prayer with it. Thank you for that gift. 
 

Week One has gone well. I think the next four weeks will be great as well so please don't worry about me here. I look forward to hearing about your summer. 

 

Until next time,

 

Ji Chang Wook