Chapter 5 : Change

Kryptonite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 5 Change

 

Change; unlike how easy as it may sound, it is difficult to conduct for the process is demanding. The beginning is challenging to kickoff. Then the following steps come next which prompts the start of disorientation in decisions and choices to carry for the next stage. Nonetheless, after through the turbulence and going in between the turmoil and restlessness of change, comes a magnificent outcome of scoring a deserved closer look to what’s right.  

 

No one starts a change without an act and one does not simply make a new step forward without an essential action. The steps being taken may be small and baby-like and seems to be time consuming as the clock ticks fast every single day of moving forward. Nevertheless, there they go on with their lives, showing progress as they continuously evolve into a persona that never once crossed their mind they would become, the evil side that displays and the goodness that appears from the depth.

 

 “Welcome back Jennie! We missed you!”

 

These loud cheers and yells from enthusiastic and thrilled students greeted the bright morning. The poppers blasted from each side of the door that opened carefully. The claps and smiles from each person surrounding the music club room fenced the astounded woman they just applauded. Although perceptive of what this small celebration is about, she needed to perform astonished using her wide smile to return back their kindness, and not to be mean and show no interest at all.

 

“Finally, we’ve been waiting for you Jennie.” The club’s senior members carefully guided the still limping Jennie inside the room and surrounded by the others who are so eager to see her again.

 

And the others follow, “I hope you liked our small welcome party.”

 

Jennie limped on her way in the middle of the circle that the members formed, to face them with the same eagerness as they have and be as enthusiastic as they are. Without anything to hold on, no crutch and no grip to support her bandaged leg, she proudly faces everyone, looking into each eyes one by one, staring and noting how truly they have missed her and their eyes and expressions that speak the truth of needing her in the club.

 

“Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I didn’t expect you’ll welcome me back this way. I missed all of you too.” Jennie softly said that she cracked because of the emotions she’s holding back from her clogged throat.

 

Their instructor clapped his hands halting the emotional comeback as he announces, “Okay guys! Now let’s tell Jennie our biggest surprise for her and the best news we got here while she’s away.”

 

“What is it? Am I missing a lot already? I didn’t hear anything from Chaeyoung about great news here. Did something change around here or what?” Jennie wondered yet with a smirk on her lips for the members gaze at her with excitement.

 

“It’s because we also asked her to keep it a secret for the meantime so that we can welcome you back with it and be motivated somehow.” The members winked.

 

“So…” A senior member stepped up and showed Jennie a piece of invitation letter and tells her straight, “We’re invited to perform on a national event together with other delegates from other universities. It’s a worldwide known event and they recognized our talent so we’ll perform for the country’s VIP visitors!”

 

Jennie huffs and joyously squealed, “Really? Oh my God! I’ve always wanted to perform at an event like this! Finally, we’ll be able to participate!”

 

The instructor interjects Jennie’s bliss and asks in concern in behalf of everyone while looking into Jennie’s figure that seems to be fragile, “But how are you now though Jennie? I know it’s one of your goals as a student to perform in a bigger stage like this but of course, we have to take in consideration about your health. We hope you’re not forcing yourself too much just to come back this quick for us and for this club. You know you can rest more if you need to and take more therapy. Your course is also a very demanding one so we understand if anything.”

 

Jennie however reassures them by thumping her chest and grinning positively, “Don’t worry. I’m alright. Though I can’t say I’m hundred percent recovered already, at least I am confident that I can walk on my own now and attend all of my usual classes, laboratories and club activities, plus part-time job too. In fact, I even came here in the university last time with Chaeyoung to fix my deficiencies on my subjects.”

 

“Oh yeah, by the way, where’s Chaeyoung? She’s surprisingly late today. She’s the mastermind over this surprise welcome celebration yet she’s not around.” The seniors belatedly noticed one of their ace members’ absence in the room.

 

Everyone looked around and same goes for Jennie who may have known at the back of her mind the reason behind Chaeyoung’s latency yet there she is, acting bewildered as everyone else is. And she needs not to speak more for not long after they summoned her name, fast and heavy footsteps can be heard resounding through the corridors, approaching the only room of this floor of the building exclusive for the club. There shall be no one else than Chaeyoung whose footsteps these are for she’s the only person missing in the group at this moment.

 

“Speaking of Chaeyoung…” They teased as they all wait for Chaeyoung to appear on that door that Jennie left wide open.

 

“Why do I sense she’s mad?” They added their teases and wait for what’s coming through that door.

 

In a split second, Chaeyoung appeared breathless, catching her breath after those long and huge strides of running all the way up with all her might. She has her sweats breaking all over her body but cares no more about it, for even if her body sores, her eyes are in haste and frantically darting everywhere in the room to locate and spot her patient that escaped out from her care.

 

“Jennie-unnie!” Chaeyoung breathlessly grumbled then goes on confronting, “Why did you go out of your house all alone? I went there and your neighbor told me that you already came here on your own and you didn’t even wait for me! I thought we agreed that I’ll fetch you every morning and we come here together. What if something happened to you along the way? You know I don’t want that to happen, right?”

 

The club members turned into a deep silence as they listened to Chaeyoung’s rare wrath which happens once in a blue moon. Likewise, the guilty Jennie zipped but her pleading eyes are locked onto Chaeyoung’s burning ones, wordlessly telling her to calm down while the others awkwardly moved aside to give the two a time on their own, just the two of them to settle out this bittersweet argument that came unexpected and surprising at the same time.

 

“She sounds like an angry mother…” One of the members whispered to his fellowman as they step farther from the heavy scene in the middle of the room.

 

And the others share their thoughts with one another hissing, “It looks more of a lover. I’ve never heard Chaeyoung roaring like this and I’ve never seen her so worked up unless it’s Jennie.”

 

“What do you expect? She likes Jennie so much. We can’t blame her.” Their senior giggled and pulled all the members out of the room to give the two their most needed privacy.

 

The moment Jennie realized that the door behind Chaeyoung has closed and all who’s left are them in this quiet and expansive room filled with instruments, she pulled the latter into a comfortable seat in hopes to calm her down, giving her a weak smile and holds her hand as she looks straight into her eyes. Certainly, this side of Jennie, her caring and gentle personality, easily softened Chaeyoung’s heart that it didn’t take a minute for her to relax her once stiffed body and rumbling mind all caused by her worries.

 

“Hey…” Jennie started carefully as she occupied the seat in front of her, holding her hands tight by her lap. “I’m sorry. I know I was wrong for breaking our promise and our deal. I just wanted to try if I can do it on my own already. Thanks to you for always accompanying me to my therapies even at late nights, I’m quickly recovering. And now, I just wanted to show you too that I have improved and that I’m getting better.” She then explained her side, not looking away from Chaeyoung’s eyes filled with concern.

 

Chaeyoung looks down onto their clasped hands on her lap blushing as she utters, “I’m sorry for exaggerating too unnie. I couldn’t help but to worry this much for you too. You know you’re important to me and I just wanted to make sure you’re safe and sound. Also, I’m partly at fault too since I actually went to fetch you a little bit late than the time we agreed upon. If only I didn’t have to listen to Jisoo-unnie’s rants over the phone about Lisa’s behavior with their relationship then I would have made it on time to fetch you…”

 

Chaeyoung had said so much but only her last words about Lisa’s life registered into the depth of Jennie’s mind which made her attentive in her position that she has to ask promptly, “Lisa’s behavior? Why, did something happen?”

 

Chaeyoung sighs and looks up the bright high ceiling, “Lisa and Jisoo-unnie aren’t getting along well these past few weeks. For some reason, Lisa always easily gets triggered with Jisoo-unnie’s words and she gets offended pretty fast too. And just earlier this morning, I heard them arguing over the phone again. It’s not been so long yet when they last argued and Lisa completely ignored Jisoo-unnie’s efforts. She even cooked for her yet it seems like they just don’t connect well these days. I’m just in the next door but I can hear Lisa’s yells from the other side.”

 

“Lisa can do that? I mean, I didn’t expect she can be like that too especially to her girlfriend. I just know what she can be a joker or sometimes loud to her friends at the performance shop but I’ve never seen or heard her as a lover.” Jennie remarked hesitant and shaken by Lisa’s surprising personality.

 

“Well, yeah and they have been arguing and being distant from each other for more than a week now. And seriously if this goes on, I’m scared that they might break up. I don’t know what I should do for them too because as much as I want them to be alright again as a couple, it seems like I’m helpless because I don’t know which side I’ll go to. There’s a part of me that says Lisa has the right to feel mad and disappointed for what Jisoo-unnie has been telling her but at the same time a part of me also says that Jisoo-unnie is only worried as a lover and trying to be protective or whatsoever. Still, I don’t know. I want to help but I don’t know where I should place myself or should I even be intervening?” Chaeyoung frowned as she looked up above the ceiling.

 

Jennie has kept silenced by Chaeyoung’s truthful concerns as she was brought into deep thoughts too. Nonetheless, her strong-willed mind decided to show off a positive smile and says, “You think too much. I’m sure those two will be just fine. Besides, isn’t it normal for a couple to argue and fight sometimes? I don’t really have deep experience in a relationship but I heard long-time couples often have misunderstandings yet they end up just alright by the end of the day. Maybe it’s the same for them too.”

 

“I hope that’s the case unnie. I can’t help but to overthink because I rarely see them fight like this. Yes, arguments are normal between a couple only when it doesn’t last this long and only lasts less than a day. But it’s been so long…” Chaeyoung forced out a giggle and scratched her stiffed cheek.

 

Jennie pinches her chubby cheeks and smiles out to lighten up the mood, “Stop thinking about other people’s business for now. If you want you can think of their problem as much as you want to after we’re done with our most important task in the club. So, how’s that?”

 

“Oh yeah, the national event, I almost forgot.” Chaeyoung realized and blushed.

 

“See? You’ve been so into other people’s problems that you almost forgot about the club.” Jennie laughed and pulled Chaeyoung up her seat as she holds her hand gently. “Let’s go buy some foods while we look for the others and call them back so that we can start forming plans.” She added with a wink.

 

“Y-yeah…”

 

Jennie has always been brightening up days that may have started dim and depressing. She never fails to bring everybody up with her positivity, especially for Chaeyoung whose heart cannot cease from beating loud for her as her feelings are impossible to stop from going deeper. The adoration, the admiration and the respect for a woman like Jennie, Chaeyoung definitely holds this more for her and through their linked hands, she’s so sure of how much she has found herself so deeply in love for her that it hurts to be kept inside and remains unrequited.

 

On the other hand, there’s Lisa who’s trying hard to keep her day free and joyous as how it used to be back in the days when such arguments and endless quarrels with Jisoo never even existed. Surely, she cannot seek for such happiness with her girlfriend at times like this, certainly that her problems focus with their relationship and obviously Jisoo cannot be of a helping hand for her racing ambitions. And as she walks on her path going to her work, her grumbles and sighs get heavier every step, unable to stop and feeble in every stride she takes.

 

“Good morning, Lisa. How’s your day? I hope you’re doing fine. Chaeyoung and I are together and she’s taking good care of me. I came alone here in the university and I was able to walk without my crutches. Thanks to you as well, my therapy went well in the past days and recovered faster than I thought I would.”     

 

This morning message from Jennie, just this one simple message made Lisa’s frowns and worries turn into a wide smile, enough for her weak paces to fade and be in her straight stance as she goes on walking. The message may not have a sound of Jennie’s voice in it, but through Lisa’s mind, she can hear her sweet caring tone as she reads the message, even her small face’s features, the eye smile, her eyes and even her soft giggles she can possibly do while she simply talks. Lisa can picture her vividly in her mind.

 

And so she replies while she continuously walks with her smile that doesn’t seem to end, “Good morning Jennie~ I’m doing good. Thank you for asking. Lately, I’ve been working nonstop at the shop. In fact I’m on my way right now to start working again. I’ve been on the shop’s race track too, slowly getting into shape again and of course, it’s all thanks to you too.”

 

“Of course! I’m Jennie the manager!” Jennie responded back quick with laugh emoticons, indicating her simple joke.

 

Lisa entered the shop in all smiles thanks to her exchange of messages with Jennie that seemed endless, not until she’s distracted with the cheers and noises going on at the back of the shop where all the staffs are in. As she parades at the back and left the shop unattended in the front, there she found her friends celebrating while they count wads of money laid on the table, also together with their boss Chaerin clapping in celebration.

 

“What’s going on?” The clueless Lisa asked as she joined them.

 

“Hanbin won a race last night and we won the bet. He defeated a big time racer so the prize money is this big.” Bobby informed proud and showed wads of money that’s in the middle of being counted in the table.

 

In awe, Lisa also claps, “Wow, congratulations oppa! You did well! Too bad I couldn’t come and watch you.”

 

“They are demanding for another race actually and our boss right here agreed just because she’s confident we’ll win again. However, we’re not going to bet the same amount that I just won of course. We’ll have to find a way.” Hanbin said after he counted one bundle and put it back on the brief case.

 

Lisa looks at Chaerin who is nodding, recognizing her own decisions, “Yes, we’ll have to prove to them that our victory wasn’t out of luck but because we’re skilled and talented when it comes to racing. It pisses me off when someone looks down on us just because we’re from a small shop and we’re not well-known yet.”

 

“Would it still be Hanbin who’s racing? They might have new strategies and they might have studied his style too.” A concerned staff asked.

 

“No, it won’t be him next time.” Chaerin said firm and everyone was rumbled. Then she strictly gazes at Lisa as she declares, “Lisa, you’ll be up for that race.”

 

Lisa’s breaths were arrested upon being appointed and her friends looked the same in worries, taken aback for all they thought it’s going to be Bobby. It hasn’t been a minute since the appointment but she already felt her hands trembling, and so she clasped it together to calm down, yet it’s not working either. Her eyes dropped down and became unsteady, gazing everywhere but not to Chaerin’s firm glares at her.

 

“I… uhm…” Lisa panted, trying to find an excuse not to proceed with the race.

 

Hanbin speaks up for her as he stands tall in front of Chaerin, “Hey, won’t that be risky? Lisa hasn’t fully recovered yet and she just recently went back on training again. You always see her trying every day and you’ve seen how she’s not yet capable one of these days.”

 

“It’s like feeding the predator with their favorite prey.” Bobby backed up Hanbin in behalf of Lisa’s grave worries.

 

Chaerin, however, stood with her words and her glares at Lisa remains unmoved. She acted she heard none of the guys’ concerns and the feeble Lisa was forced to exchange stares at her. As they locked eyes, she determinedly contends, “I am also worried for you and you know that. Nonetheless, I trust you and your progress. Compared to when you first started driving again, you’ve changed and improved a bit. Moreover, this is why I hired someone like Jennie to be your partner, so you can boost fast and go back on track as soon as possible, faster than you think you can.”

 

“Now that I think of it, Jennie is indeed effective when it comes on boosting Lisa’s confidence. She was able to convince her to hold the steering wheel again.” Bobby then also started to reconsider.  

 

“Jennie will be there with you throughout your preparations and trainings. Of course, we’ll keep you on monitor too. Leave the shop’s operations to us while you train full-time. I want you to focus on getting back on the race with Jennie’s help by your side. You better not slack off, Lisa. This upcoming race will be your first official race since the accident.” Chaerin instructed strict and all that Lisa can do is to silently nod without putting up a fight.

 

“I’ll see what I can do.” Lisa responded weak and walked away first before the other staffs could, going straight to the race track where she’s ordered to be in.

 

Lisa was obviously downhearted with her weak resolves still and with her low confidence on racing yet. As much as her friends want to save her from the final decision, they know for themselves they cannot defy Chaerin, particularly when she’s having this look that could kill. Though they trust Lisa just like Chaerin is, at the back of their minds they’re concerned if it’s the right time for their friend to be on races again.

 

Hanbin approaches Chaerin to ask, “Can I ask you something? Why do you seem to trust Jennie so much when it comes on taking care of Lisa? Do you think she can really manage to motivate Lisa? Yes, we’ve seen it before that Lisa was uplifted with her words but racing for real is a different matter here.”

 

Chaerin is annoyed with his persistence, leaving her no other choice but to show an old newspaper she’s been keeping with her. At the sports news page, there Hanbin, later joined by Bobby and the others, saw a man winning a major international race competition. He’s proudly holding on to a baby whom he gave his medal to while in his other arm he puts the trophy up high.

 

“That’s Jennie’s father.” Chaerin disclosed and immediately gained shocked reactions from the men gathered around her. “…and that baby in his arm is Jennie when she was a baby.” She added more and this time she got confused looks from them.

 

“Jennie’s father was a professional racer?” Hanbin reacted with his jaw dropping.

 

And Bobby further questions, “Wait, how you found out about this?”

 

“A little bit of research wasn’t that bad. When I heard Jennie knows how to drive, I just thought how come a fragile-looking woman whose ambition of becoming a doctor like her mother and far from being a racer knows something about cars? Call me judgmental but that’s how I became kind of suspicious and I ended up with this juicy fact about her father. Her mother is also a well-known doctor so it was easy to connect them when I was researching.” Chaerin smirked self-assured.

 

“Is this why you also thought that Jennie would be a good pair for Lisa?” Hanbin wondered.

 

“Jennie might have heard the struggles of a racer from her father one way or another. Plus, she has a background about races that she might have heard from her father or she might have watched him once or twice at least. Furthermore, she’s someone that Lisa trusts too and they have unbreakable connection because of the accident. They are emotionally attached at some point, I have to say.” Chaerin explained to feed her staffs’ curiosity and concerns.

 

Chaerin is right, Jennie and Lisa have formed a special bond since the accident. It’s undeniable, more when it’s evident in front of their eyes on how their bond is growing each time. Better than anyone else, Jennie created a great impact on Lisa’s passion, making it both as Lisa’s weakness and strength. May it be good or bad, Jennie is the one who gave Lisa a rollercoaster kind of life, if not then a spark to wake up sleeping realities inside her and changed her to be a better person that how she used to be.

 

The day goes on and it gets busier each time. Arriving at the town’s biggest auditorium are the delegates and participants for the upcoming national event. In this sea of talented students together with their instructors, amongst them are Jisoo and her friends, the entire cheer dance team and other skilled young ones around them in their own fields. The pressure is heavy for either these people are just equally talented and felt the sense of competition or there are people who are better than the other.

 

To ease this pressure, Wendy grabbed the lunch box that Jisoo has long forgotten she has with her as she consumes it on her own while looking around anxiously, “I know we’re not going to some sort of competition, instead a joint force to make this event successful, but why does it feel like people are glaring each other here?”

 

Snatching a piece of the perfectly sliced egg omelet from the lunch box, Joy munches as she speaks, “It can’t be avoided. People tend to feel a bit threatened when they see their fellow talented people around. It’s human nature to sense a bit of stress especially when we all know that everyone who’s here will perform on the same event.”

 

“That doesn’t really make sense since we will perform in different fields. It’s just a meeting yet you’re being this dramatic.” Jisoo rolled her eyes and acted cold and aloof towards everyone and everything around her, not minding how many people have already glared at their team as they pass by to occupy their own designated seats.

 

Jisoo turned so cold that Joy had to , showing how huge she’s munching on those foods she made with full effort. Yet Jisoo didn’t bulge and showed no reaction, thus she questions, “Aren’t you mad we’re eating this lunch? You made it for Lisa.”

 

“She’s still avoiding me…” Jisoo heavily sighed and even gave them more foods from her bag that are supposed to be for Lisa too, chocolates that her lover loves the most. “We may not even meet today since she’s leaving my messages read and my calls unanswered. It’s annoying, to be honest.” She then added in a groan.

 

Her friends commented nothing more when Jisoo’s voice evidently turned into a hoarse, knowing she’s about to explode anytime soon talking about her lover. And not long after that, another set of talented students from other universities arrived at the auditorium. Their presence is eye-catching, hence being a head turner, people ogled at them as they walk in a decent group. They are like any others, brilliant, but what catches people’s attention is the beautiful person limping, Jennie.

 

“Oh, isn’t she the one on the news before? The one who was involved in an accident.” Someone recognized as they proceed on walking forwards, locating their seats in the vast.

 

Chaeyoung, being Jennie’s guide as they walk, she sighted Jisoo ahead of them. So she calls out, “Jisoo-unnie! You’re here too!”

 

“Chaeng! What a small world! Are you going to perform for the event too?” Jisoo excitedly went up on her seat and gave her friend a tight hug, having her confused friends in their seats glare at her as if she wasn’t cold towards them earlier.

 

Chaeyoung nods, grinning, “Yeah. We were invited too and we’re very excited. It’s our first time attending such event and we’re in the process of preparing already too. What a coincidence we meet here!”

 

Later, Jisoo found Jennie’s petite figure being covered with Chaeyoung’s tall figure a few inches back. She didn’t need introductions to know who she is and she can tell she’s Jennie Kim from the way she looks, thanks to her injured leg that’s visible because of how she folds it and brief descriptions she had heard before. She eyed on her intently, only to her and no one else, not even to Chaeyoung she was just talking with moments ago.

 

Jennie noticed this and she takes the initiative to step forward to formally introduce herself, “Hi. I’m Jennie Kim. It’s so nice to meet you.”

 

“She’s Jisoo-unnie, Lisa’s girlfriend. I’ve told you about her before.” Chaeyoung also introduced while having a huge grin in her face, having no idea of the invisible intensity between them.

 

Jisoo smiles back at Jennie and takes her hand for a handshake, “It’s so nice to finally meet you too, Jennie. I’ve heard about you too because my friend Chaeyoung right here always talks about you whenever she has a chance.”

 

“Really? I didn’t know about that.” Jennie softly chuckled and looked at the blushing Chaeyoung beside her.

 

“And oh, thank you for looking after Lisa too. I appreciate it a lot. I would also like to apologize if ever she’s being hard-headed and stubborn sometimes.” Jisoo bowed down.

 

But Jennie gently pulled her head up and clarifies, “Please don’t apologize. Lisa isn’t being stubborn or anything at all. She may be hard-headed but it’s only because she’s still adjusting since the accident and I completely understand that. In fact, she’s been working hard these days and she’s helping me quite a lot. I’m thankful for her and you’re lucky to have someone like her.”

 

“Luckier if only she listens to me and quits racing…” Jisoo sighed.

 

Somehow, Jisoo’s last words didn’t ring right for Jennie and her smile for this introduction disappeared. A part of her was pissed off for some reason, like a nerve popped to test her patience, and hearing her say directly out from , soon she realized why Chaeyoung is in a dilemma on who to side between them. As the realization hits, her eyebrows creased and looking at Chaeyoung beside her, she was only given a shrug of shoulders and an awkward smile.

 

Cutting off the tension Jennie is about to build, Chaeyoung steps in to interrupt, “So unnie, we’ll be going ahead to our seats. Our club members already found our seats so we better get going.”

 

“Yeah, let’s catch up some other time.” Jisoo said and gave way to them.

 

Chaeyoung smoothly pulled Jennie with her as they went to their seats. Jisoo however still eyed on Jennie’s back until they occupied their seats not far from them, just few rows ahead in the front. For her, Jennie is indeed a pretty woman, elegant and lovely despite the injury she’s carrying with her. If earlier she wasn’t feeling a sense of rivalry with these talented people, now she is sensing it with Jennie whose presence is undeniably huge for her.

 

“She’s even prettier in person.” Wendy commented and she pulls Jisoo back down to her seat as she rustles, “At least don’t be obvious that you don’t like her. Your eyebrows are meeting at the center.”

 

“I’m just annoyed she still looks attractive although she’s injured. No won

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter