Chapter 6 : Determination

Kryptonite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 6 Determination

 

Weakness and fears are difficult to conquer once these have taken over the fire in someone’s resolves. Oftentimes the greatest fear destroys a passion and the worst weakness grow larger until it becomes suffocating to break the barriers that these terrors have formed. Like a feeble bird locked up in a cage where there’s nothing to escape from, it waits for someone to open up the door and be set free from this confinement and fly up high once again.

 

Drowning in thoughts that create the illusion of fears and doubts, sure nothing productive can be done, only a greater amount of frights would be the result. Doing none result to none, as obvious as it sounds. Thus, there’s only one way to get out of this imaginary prison and that’s to move, make an action and do actions and that’s exactly what the passionate dreamer, an aspiring racer, Lisa, is doing together with the people who are breaking the cage along with her.

 

Hours and counting, Lisa hasn’t left the race track as she’s in the middle of her tight and intense training for her upcoming race. Going for countless rounds, in every lap she makes, her performance is being monitored by her friends on standby on the finish line waiting for her. It goes on and on, no one is stopping, no one is leaving her and no one is giving up despite the numerous failures she committed in the middle of her doubtful driving performance as seen in her speed that’s improving gradually.

 

“Time!” Bobby stopped the timer in his hand as Lisa passed through the finish line with swooshing car she borrowed from Chaerin. Then he checks on the record as he walks back to the garage where Lisa stopped and where the bystanders are, “You’re two seconds faster than your previous laps. You’re getting better.”

 

Lisa went down of the car and takes her deepest breath, “That was hard…”

 

“You’re almost there, Lisa. It’s true you’re getting better but you know you need more. Your opponent isn’t that easy to be defeated. But for now, you have to rest. You have a day left to train anyway.” Chaerin strictly advise upon checking Lisa’s good records for the day.

 

Yet Lisa insists, “I’ll take a short rest then I’ll go back to the track again later on. I’m not yet satisfied. I failed a lot of laps and I even crashed on some. It’s not yet enough to call it a day. I want to do more. I’m racing with no one, I’m only doing it on the race track alone yet I can’t achieve the best result. It’s not yet the actual race but I’m failing still. I have to go on until I’m good with it.”

 

“And here I am misjudging you because I thought you’ll easily get drained.” Chaerin said, more of a praise than a criticism as she smirked at the exhausted Lisa but still firm on her stand.

 

“Of course she has to be determined. Jennie has been supporting her and she has to show off.” Hanbin whistled coming from the side, teasing the off-guarded Lisa whose cheeks instantly reddened at his sudden remarks.

 

“Oppa, don’t say that! She might hear you! It’s embarrassing.” Lisa rustled and slightly pinched Hanbin’s arm as he’s giggling nonstop.

  

And Chaerin joins the teasing, “Isn’t it true though? Jennie has been supporting you and encouraging you ever since day one. No one is surprised if ever she’s one of the reasons why you’re pumped up to train. There’s no reason to be defensive and sensitive at all.”

 

Lisa was hushed by these teases for they are indeed true. Jennie has been there with her through the way, from the day she started training full of doubts, not giving up on her and juggling in between her hectic schedules just to rush all the way to the shop and give her the support she promised she would give to her. Lisa never wanted to waste all of her efforts and truly, if there’s one person who’s giving her the fire back and kicking out all these trembles she has been suffering from, there’s no other than Jennie.

 

Lisa raises her hands up as she surrenders, admitting in a grin, “Okay fine. You’re right. You win.”

 

“Jisoo’s going to explode when she hears that.” Bobby laughed.

 

“We’re back. We bought some drinks for all of us!” Later, Jennie came back with plastic bags full of cold beers perfect for the short break that everyone has been asking for.

 

“Woah! You’re the best Jennie!” The shop’s staffs all welcomed Jennie and immediately started setting the table in the empty space of the garage for them to use.

 

Together with Jennie is of course, Chaeyoung to help her out and to show support for her best friend as well. She is unusually reserved and talking lesser than how she usually does as she helps out for she isn’t used to this kind of environment. Nevertheless, she’s adjusting well not only for her best friend but also for Jennie whom she has to back up too on whatever she wants to do.

 

They closed the shop for them to enjoy this short break and gathered altogether around, circling the table topped with the beers and some foods Chaeyoung revealed from the other bag. Jennie and Lisa aren’t seated beside each other, rather in front of each other from across the table, just right for them to share glimpses and grins while there’s Chaeyoung serving Jennie with whatever she needs, from opening a can of beer for her and filling her plate with foods.

 

“I wish I have someone like Chaeyoung to take care of me too. You’re so sweet.” Hanbin commented as he saw how the reserved woman is catering Jennie beside her.

 

Bobby looked at them in envy and also mentions, “You two must be pretty close too.”

 

“We’re from the same university and we’re both from the music club. We always meet during club activities and we have the same taste in music so we got a lot closer than we thought. Lately, we’ve been together even more since we also have to practice for the national event.” Jennie explained to the curious men asking from across the table.

 

“Jennie-unnie is amazing and admirable.” Chaeyoung further accounted and got all ears to give her a listen. “She’s really good at multi-tasking. She has her busy schedules for her course, then she’s also active with the club then here comes the national event. Not to mention she also has this part-time job here in the shop every late afternoons and weekends. Plus, whenever she has those rare free times, she also randomly writes novels and short stories. She juggles everything so well and sometimes I can’t help but to get worried since she might overworking herself.” She then added while looking right into Jennie’s eyes which is being returned with those shy eye smiles.

 

“Oh really? That’s really amazing! You’re such a hard working woman! I didn’t know you’re that busy and I can’t blame your friend right here for being worried.” Chaerin praised, nodding in recognition.

 

Lisa zipped through the entire talk of Chaeyoung about her admiration for Jennie while everyone is so into it they initially forgot she exists somewhere around this table. She’s keeping the can in as she pretends sipping slowly just so no one will talk to her at the same time, but her eyes are fixated onto how her best friend is occasionally placing an arm around Jennie and the latter clings onto her just the same as they share sweet and harmonious laughter.

 

Looking at them sticking to each other like inseparable lovers, Lisa felt something pricked her chest and she was almost choked into this sudden feeling. It was a quick ache that startled her, like a needle when someone accidentally prick themselves while sewing. The ache she doesn’t know why it attacked caused her to break her glances on them and that’s when it stopped, when she looked down and avoided anyone’s eyes on her.

 

“Lisa, what’s wrong?” Her best friend noticed her being idle as if her mind is flying away and not with them.

 

Lisa returns back to the reality and finally speaks an excuse, “Oh, nothing. I think I felt an ant biting me somewhere from the ground.”

 

“We’ve been talking here about Jennie because we want to know her more yet there you are acting uninterested about everything. Aren’t you interested to know more of our new friend right here? She’s adorable, you know.” Bobby stated, looking straight into Lisa’s unsteady gazes.

 

Before Lisa could utter more excuses, Jennie answers for her gladly, “Oh it’s okay. Lisa already knows about these stuffs about me. We talked about it when we were together at the bar last time after we visited mom at the hospital. She knows nearly everything about me, same as what Chaeyoung knows already.”

 

“Oh!” Lisa reacted and froze on her seat.

 

“Wait, so you guys hang out even outside the shop and at the hospital?” Hanbin questioned in amazement and Jennie nodded eagerly. “Eh~ Lisa never told us anything about it!” He further exclaimed and playfully punched Lisa’s shoulder.   

 

“W-well…” Lisa nervously uttered and started sweating.

 

Lisa frightfully shifted her eyes to her best friend and she saw what she fears for, Chaeyoung is glaring at her disappointed and hurt for her lies were unveiled without a warning. Her eyebrow is raising so high and her glares can kill Lisa anytime. She’s evidently controlling her frustration and holding herself back from confronting Lisa with how she’s gritting her teeth tight and breathing heavily. Lisa feels guilty because she herself still cannot find out why she had to lie in the first place.

 

“Uhm, Chaeng, we just—“ Lisa was about to speak up and clarify herself but then she’s cut off with a loud series of loud thuds from the shop’s locked  entrance was heard resonating close behind them.

 

“Lisa, I know you’re there!” Someone screamed from the outside.

 

“Isn’t that Jisoo?” Chaerin initially guessed then when another loud knocks and screams came after, she was sure, “It’s really her. But what is she doing here?”

 

Everyone went back up on their feet as their short break was interrupted with these noises that Jisoo is making. They walked back inside the performance shop and Bobby opened it, only to welcome the flaring Jisoo, obviously mad with the way she used her heavy footsteps to parade inside. They’re lost for words because of her unexpected arrival in the midst of her busy hours as well and all they can do is to look at her from head to toe as they let her approach Lisa who is as confused as everyone else.

 

“W-what are you doing here?” Lisa awkwardly asked after all these days they haven’t seen and talked properly, not knowing how to greet her in a way a lover would do.

 

Jisoo crosses her arms and returns back the question to her lover with her cold tone, “And what are you still doing here too? You’re supposed to be out at this hour already. I went to your place and you’re not yet back home and you’re not answering your phone at all. And my guess was right, you’re still here playing around when you’re supposed to be resting already.”

 

“I can’t go back home yet.” Lisa answered and stepped backwards, farther from her girlfriend’s close stance. “I have to continue training for an upcoming race and it’s important for me. It will be my first race since the accident and I have to win it no matter what. So, I can’t just go back home without finishing my business here.” She explained in defense.

 

“What, another illegal race on a midnight?” Jisoo grumbled and Lisa hesitantly nodded in confirmation. Hence, she grabbed Lisa’s wrist and in a force she pulls her, “No, you’re not doing that. You’re going back home and stop forcing yourself to race again. What if something happens to you while racing and you completely get into a serious accident this time?”

 

But Lisa is strongly resisting as she’s pulling back from Jisoo’s force, “No! Don’t tell me what I want to do! This is the first time we’ll meet again and yet this is what you’re going to do to me? I’m not coming with you and I’m not going back home yet!”

 

Their argument is getting louder and larger as they are screaming at each other, too loud and disordered that no one can comprehend anymore. No one knows what to do exactly, to stop them, to let them continue the talk or to just stand there and watch them until they calm down, hopefully. They are unsure of what to do but to keep an eye on them and panic in their stands. However, Jisoo became more aggressive as she roughly pulled Lisa towards her, the latter yelping at how painful her grip is.

 

That’s when Jennie decided to step up and makes an attempt to stop them, carefully voicing out in the midst of the heated fight, “Excuse me but please stop it. Lisa said she doesn’t want to go yet.”

 

“Shut up! You don’t know anything about us so don’t come interrupting!” Jisoo roared and accidentally swayed her heavy hand to Jennie that Lisa managed to escape from.

 

Jisoo swayed her hand at a full force towards Jennie, causing it to accidentally hit her face and from the strong hit she lost her balance and fell straight down the floor in pain. Everyone gasped and stunned at the unexpected situation, also with Jisoo who never meant to do it and most especially Lisa who felt a gun triggered inside her. They stared at the lowly whelping Jennie massaging her nose that was hit and Chaeyoung instantly bent down to help her back up on her feet, wobbly and hurt.   

 

“S-sorry. I didn’t mean it.” Jisoo stammered, shocked at her own doings.

 

Even though Chaeyoung was already there to aid Jennie, Lisa still marched to her in order to check her face by herself. There’s a small cut on her nose bridge, but not too deep to be rushed to a hospital but her expression is telling her how painful it is. And this is done by her very own girlfriend, though by accident as she speaks, Jennie was hurt and that’s the unchangeable fact. Lisa never imagined this to happen and her mind went on a ruckus she cannot think rationally, but anger building up in her.

 

“Look what you’ve done!” Lisa roared so loud at Jisoo and it shaken up the entire shop. She heatedly grabbed onto Jisoo’s collar and continues on thundering to her face, “If you came here just to cause us trouble then you shouldn’t have come in the first place!”

 

Terrified, Jisoo fearfully argues back, “It was an accident! I said I didn’t mean it, right? What are you so mad for?”

 

“Accident or not, this shouldn’t have happened if you stopped from forcing me to follow whatever you want! I’m not your robot!” Lisa barked louder and tightened her grip onto her girlfriend’s collar.

 

“Lisa, stop it. You’re scaring her and you don’t have to scream at her like that. Calm down, will you?” Bobby had to separate them apart as Lisa is becoming a beast as more seconds pass by.  

 

Jisoo has never seen her lover in such a state, a whirlwind of pure anger and fury. If she can be compared, she looks like a hungry wolf at this moment staring at her prey she’s ready to kill. It’s frightening indeed, giving her chills down her spine and trembles all the way down her toes. This isn’t the lovely and charming Lisa she’s used of dating with. This isn’t the polite woman wearing the brightest smile no matter what time it is. Lisa is a whole different person protecting Jennie and she’s right in front of Jisoo’s shaking stares.

 

“Do whatever you want!” Jisoo lastly roared at her and stormed out of the shop without looking back, afraid to exchange eye contacts again with those eyes of her lover that flare up.

 

“Hey Lisa, aren’t you going to follow her?” Hanbin asked as he watched Jisoo disappearing from a distance, going to nowhere with her fuming strides.

 

Lisa however argues, “I don’t care! She suddenly barged in here to ruin our short break!”

 

“I’m sorry Chaeyoung but can you follow her instead? Lisa is quite stubborn and I’m worried something might happen to Jisoo too if she’s alone feeling like that. And we’ll take care of Jennie here. You don’t have to worry leaving her with us. She’s safe here.” Chaerin asked the stunned Chaeyoung who couldn’t do a thing to intervene the intense fight that just unfolded before her eyes.

 

Chaeyoung had no choice but to nod, passing the fragile Jennie to her best friend who willingly accepted her around her protective arms. It isn’t only Jisoo who have seen Lisa’s ultimate and unexpected wrath for the first time as Chaeyoung is the same as well. She had known Lisa for a long time and it’s only on this day she’s seeing her in such resentment. She had witnessed couple of fights of her with Jisoo but it’s never to this extent. Shocking it is that even she was stunned and couldn’t do a thing.

 

“I’ll go follow her then.” Chaeyoung decided but she didn’t forget to give her best friend a death glare for the lie she told her before leaving the shop without anything to tell her more.

 

Lisa has to set aside her issue with Chaeyoung for a while in order to attend to Jennie well. Bringing a chair for her, Lisa brought an ice pack and gently put it on Jennie’s nose, causing the injured one to wheeze a little due to the pain. Jennie is still not a hundred percent healed yet here comes another pain she has to deal with, and this is what angers Lisa she cannot hide it in her expression. She’s extremely worried and likewise frustrated she let this happen.

 

Lisa kneeled down to align her face with Jennie’s as she rustles, not removing the ice pack on her face, “I’m sorry about what just happened. If only I didn’t let that argument happen and made it worst, you shouldn’t have been involved like this.”

 

“It’s an accident. I know Jisoo-unnie didn’t mean it and even she was shocked of what happened. Also, you shouldn’t have screamed at her like that. She’s still your girlfriend you know and she must be hurt too.” Jennie said and grabbed the ice pack from Lisa’s hand for her to hold it on her own.

 

“I couldn’t help myself. I was so heated up and it was hard for me to control my emotions. I just hate it, to see you getting hurt again. You’ve suffered enough from the accident yet if another accident happens to you because of me, I won’t forgive myself anymore. I promised that I will protect you and not to cause you pain and involve you with anything that will hurt you.” Lisa leaned back, frowning to her lowest as she admitted what got her so riled up.

 

Her friends don’t feel right standing around them and hearing them having a heart-to-heart talk. They aren’t used to this kind of Lisa either and it gives them cringe to see her vulnerable in front of a gorgeous woman. Thus, similar to when Jennie and Lisa had their talk almost on that same spot some time ago, they quietly left the shop and all went back to the garage to continue their interrupted break, going back into circling the table and have their own talk as if nothing happened.

 

Jennie’s heart melted at Lisa’s words and how touched she is that Lisa still remembers that promise she once thought a silly one, being her Superman and such. She knew Lisa was serious but never had she thought it’s on another level of seriousness that she’s this ready to protect her, even from her own girlfriend if she has to. Truly, what Lisa did to Jisoo can be wrong but Jennie cannot help herself but to feel warm at the way she’s being protected by her.

 

“I’m fine, Lisa. Really, this is nothing to be worried about. It does hurt a bit but it’s not worth to be a big deal.” Jennie reassured Lisa and showed her how she went up on her feet all by herself. “Stop thinking about me and stop worrying about simplest things like this small cut on my nose. You should be worrying about yourself first because you have a race to win, right? Let’s stop being idle here and let’s resume the training.” She then encouraged and pulled Lisa up with her.

 

“You’re right. This is what I really like having you around me. You’re an effective motivator.” Lisa finally showed a smile as all of her anger and frustrations vanished.

 

The training resumed for Lisa in no time and Jennie watched all the way from the garage, cheering her up every time Lisa reaches the finish line. In every lap Jennie tells her “You’re doing well” with her thumbs up and applauds her every chance she gets. In every lap all that Lisa wants is to get better, a lot than how she’s performing at the moment and it’s not only for this race she has to win, but also to pay back Jennie’s efforts and support she’s unconditionally giving her and to be that person she promised herself to be.

 

On the other hand, Chaeyoung jogged all over the city looking for her runaway friend. She belatedly ran after her, hence she’s having difficulty on searching for her whereabouts. Thankfully, as she knows her well, searching for her isn’t as tough as she expected it to be, easier than she thought where she had to walk all over the tiny spaces of the streets. Chaeyoung only needed to roam her eyes around on those streets she has in mind where Jisoo would be possibly wandering around going to nowhere.

 

And bingo, Chaeyoung found her friend alone and crying in the children’s park, by the empty benches while the people passing back and forth around her would stare and stop momentarily. She’s cautious of approaching her for she knows her blood is still boiling and her mind is perhaps still in a rumble. She was even hesitant to be even accompanying her but since she’s downhearted, Chaeyoung had to find courage to be with her and hear whatever her blazing emotions would say.

 

“Unnie…” Chaeyoung carefully called her out as she stood in front of her, handing over her handkerchief to wipe away those tears staining her beautiful face.

 

Jisoo refused to look up as continues on crying, ranting in between her heavy sobs, “Tell me Chaeyoung, what was that all about? Why the hell is she protecting that woman more than how she cares for me?”

 

“Unnie, calm down. Maybe Lisa was only shocked of what happened too because everything happened so fast. Give her time and she’ll realize soon.” Chaeyoung sat beside her but with a space as she can feel more wraths are about to be thrown with those eyes that pierce through.

 

Jisoo dreadfully looked at her and outbursts more of her emotions, “I know she’s your best friend but you don’t have to cover up for her! You saw it too, right? You’re a smart woman and I know you saw how Lisa was an entire different person just to protect that woman! Lisa cared for that woman more than me, her own girlfriend! She sided her and not me and if she really chooses me then she should be the one who’s here and not you!”

 

Chaeyoung lost her words at Jisoo’s outburst, speechless as at the back of her mind, she’s partly right. Indeed, she didn’t deny and acknowledged how Lisa appeared a different person, showing her side that no one had seen before and it’s all because of Jennie being hurt. She was willing to stay beside Jennie but never beside Jisoo despite how had worst had the argument gone by. Lastly, Chaeyoung cannot understand why her best friend, for the first time, had lied to her about being with Jennie at the bar, something she cannot grasped, or rather she has an idea why but she doesn’t want to recognize it.

 

“You’re right unnie, I saw it too.” Chaeyoung admitted and gripped tight on lap. “But as you said, she’s my best friend and as much as possible, I don’t want to doubt at her. I want to trust her, but at the same time, at times like this, I’m on a tight situation. I don’t know what to think too. I don’t know which side I should take.” She forced a laugh to lighten up the mood.

 

“Sorry we got you locked up somewhere in the middle. I’d understand if you take sides with her too. I’m just ultimately frustrated right now. I only want to vent it out without being judged. My friends at the university will surely grill me if I go to them and I don’t need that kind of support right now.” Jisoo sighed and ceased her tears from coming out more.

 

 

“You need me more than Lisa needs me right now. She has her friends there and you’re alone here. I can’t possibly leave a friend behind and be on her own.” Chaeyoung comforted her with a gentle caress on her back for her to completely fade those sobs. “Anyway unnie, give it a rest for today. A lot already happened and I’ll walk you back home. It’s dangerous if you’re alone at night and people see you this vulnerable. If you want I’ll stay with you until you’re fine, at least for tonight.” Chaeyoung offered and lend a hand for Jisoo to stand up.

 

“Damn that Jennie, she’s so lucky she has someone like you in love with her.” Jisoo sighed and forced a smile out of her wet lips as she accepted Chaeyoung’s helping hand.

 

It’s a long stressful day, rewarding for some as they achieved a goal for the day while it’s disappointing for those who failed to grab what satisfies them. And for the very few who are ending their day with a satisfied smile on their faces are those who helped Lisa achieve her objectives as her training ended in a good note. With all these results that can only get better written in their records, this exhausting day pleasing and worth all the time and effort they poured and trusted to Lisa.

 

The night is deep but they are still in the shop organizing what’s there to be sold for the next day, aside from Lisa who is already out to drive Jennie back home. And in the midst of their busy works, Hanbin thought of Lisa’s entire day of hard work and comments while fixing the boxes, “Lisa sure was motivated throughout the training. I thought she’s going to be shaking the whole day to be honest.”

 

“I trust Lisa but honestly, I also thought she won’t be able to show this much improvement. She exceeded my expectations.” Bobby followed up.

 

“She got that chic beside her since she finished her classes and she’s supported willingly, that’s why. No wonder she would really pump up.” Chaerin chortled.

       

Hanbin laughs along with them as he shares his honest thoughts, “You know, if I don’t know Lisa has a girlfriend, I already mistaken Jennie as her girlfriend. Besides, Jennie is more supportive than Jisoo is and she’s motivating Lisa better than Jisoo can. I think anyone would agree with me.”

 

“As much as I want to understand Jisoo because she might be coming from something, like for example she’s just extremely worried for Lisa because she really loves her, I personally think the way she’s handling their relationship will end up consuming the both of them. Lisa obviously doesn’t like the way she’s being controlled while Jisoo is just thinking of what’s better for Lisa according to her own beliefs.” Bobby shared his thoughts as well.

 

“Anyway, those two need to talk about it, seriously. Lisa will end up getting distracted with the race or she might continuously go down and feel worse if this fight between them goes on. Even if Jennie is there to uplift her, knowing that you’re arguing with someone important will still bother her.” Chaerin said and ended their talk about their relationship.

 

Chaerin is manifesting her strong and tough upfront like everyone working under her is expecting her to be, yet deep inside her is troubled of Lisa’s state of mind because of her upcoming race and adding to it is her burdens she has to settle with her girlfriend. The new sides of Lisa she’s been seeing in the past days are unending and these fresh personalities and attitudes amaze her in every possible way. Lisa is getting stronger than before despite of her growing dispute with her girlfriend and it’s because no other than Jennie’s presence with her, the impact she never thought would energize Lisa in a way she’s developing faster.

 

However, it’s not only her relationship with Jisoo that Lisa has to fix for she also has to repair this distance between her and her best friend whom she hasn’t talked to for days. Chaeyoung has been avoiding her, either keeping her door locked and ignoring Lisa’s knocks during the night, or not answering any of her messages and calls that flood her anytime of the day just to beg for a talk with her. Ever since that day Lisa was exposed with her lie, Chaeyoung has been sulking and never had she looked Lisa in the eyes.

 

Even so, Lisa isn’t going to give up on regaining her best friend’s trust back to her as for this new day, she ensures she’ll get that most needed talk with her. Chaeyoung has been repeating the same routine of avoiding her for days, from going out at a time when she’s still sleeping to coming back home when she’s busy training in the race track, that Lisa already memorized her moves, thus blocking her midway on her new shortcut midway going to the university.  

 

“You can’t run away from me now Park Chaeyoung. We need to talk.” Lisa confronted her as she cornered her best friend in the middle of this two tall buildings, in a narrow alley and blocked her way going to the main streets to the subway station.

 

Chaeyoung looked away from Lisa’s resolute glares and mutters, “I don’t have anything to tell you.”

 

“But I do and I know you want to hear me out too.” Lisa insisted and paced closer to her best friend who stepped back to keep the distance. Dismayed, Lisa settled with the meters apart and expresses, “I’m sorry I lied to you about being with Jennie that night. That’s the reason why you’ve been avoiding me, right?”

 

Chaeyoung clenched her fists together at her sides and grumbles, “It’s the first time you lied to me, Lisa.”

 

“I know.” Lisa acknowledged.

 

“Then why?” Chaeyoung thundered and for the first time she looked at Lisa, seeking for explanation. “Why did you keep it a secret from me? You better give me the best reason Lisa.” She then added while having a good control of herself from bursting out.

 

Oftentimes they argue but they reconcile within the day and go on as if nothing happened. This time, Lisa is facing an ultimately disappointed best friend and there’s no way that a simple treat for food or free tickets to amusement parks can solve it. She hurt her and she can feel it even from a distance, even with just those eyes she’s darting at her, upset and frustrated.

 

“I…” Lisa breathed deep before she finally speaks out the only reason she has in her mind, “I didn’t want you to get jealous.”

 

“Huh?” Chaeyoung was stunned.

 

“I know you love Jennie and I know how important she is to you. Even before I came to know her, I always here her name from you and how much you love her. That’s why, I lied to you and told you I wasn’t with her during that late night, because I don’t want you to feel jealous or get suspicious of me about anything. I was scared you might hate me for keeping her up late and being with her while you’re not around. I didn’t want to give you any reasons to be jealous of me, but since I ended up getting busted, I think I gave you more reason to misunderstand me. Really, I’m sorry.” Lisa admitted but she never opened up about being confused about telling a lie.

 

Lisa didn’t hear a respond for a minute or two as soon as she lowered down her head to formally apologize, until Chaeyoung snorted and questioned, “Why would I get jealous if you guys hang out? Surely, I might get a little mad that she’s awake at such a late time because I always tell her to sleep early. However, just like any other friends, you hang out too. I’m mad at you for lying to me for the first time. I’m hurt because my own best friend who once told me that I’m her human diary, lied to me and now that I found out why, I can’t help myself but to laugh. Maybe I should have also listened to you in the first place too.”

 

“Y-you’re not mad at me anymore? Are we good?” Lisa hesitated to ask because she can see Chaeyoung’s smile coming out at last after days of being given cold shoulders.

 

“I’m not anymore, but seriously, why would you even think I’d get jealous when you know I don’t easily get jealous? I’m not that type of person and I’m surprised you had those kinds of thoughts.” Chaeyoung questioned and Lisa froze. “Unless, you like—“

 

“I don’t like her!” Lisa cut her off from any more suspicions as she defended herself. “I swear Chaeng I don’t like Jennie at all! I have a girlfriend, okay? We may not be in good terms but still, I have a girlfriend and Jennie is yours all you want! I can even ask her to go on a date with you or spend some time alone with you if that’s what you want! I’ll tell her a lot more of good things about you that she probably doesn’t know yet!” She aimlessly proposed just to find a way to soften Chaeyoung’s heart.

 

And it worked as Chaeyoung beams, “Oh, really? You will? Well, I’ll be the one to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter