Chapter 3 : The Beginning

Kryptonite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 3 The Beginning

 

In writing a novel, everything starts with a blank page, zero ideas with not a single word to fill up a sentence. Writers and authors, often times, if not all then most or some, search inspiration and originality through experiences only they themselves have gone through. They use these knowledges and unique practices to formulate a story that only they can write and thus, creating one whole new story and impart this one new story to the people supporting them.

 

This very same principle applies not only to books, but as well as the belief of how a love starts to bloom from nothingness, from two people that are complete strangers having distinct life they run, but nonetheless they are bonded by experience and start a story that only the two of them can write. And how their story begins as two, only the two of them can tell and shall know how to this starts.

 

"Welcome to our place." Jennie introduced a home standing secured in front of the amazed best friends. "Come in. Please don't be shy." She then added reserved as she opened the door for them but limping with her crotch as she presented.

 

“Wow, you live here? It looks luxurious.” Lisa commented in amazement while with utmost care, she guides Jennie in her way, a gentle hand placed by her thin waist and a hand pointing at the way.

 

Chaeyoung follows close behind having the same tone while she carries Jennie’s bags, "Unnie, I've known you for quite long now and this is the first time I'm coming here. I didn't know you live in a place like this."

 

"It's all thanks to my mom's decades at work that we're living in a house like this." Jennie said so proud and further presents the place.

 

They are guided to a bungalow house painted in white. As it has a flowery garden in the front yard and a gate they entered, they perceive it lavish with its Italian design to furnish. It looks expansive and they see more of it as Jennie gladly welcomes them inside for them to have more view. The interior however doesn't differ from those typical houses that anyone had seen before, only equipped with what's necessary and what's needed, except for the shelves in the living room filled with thick books and some even rests on the floor because of how many Jennie has in it.

 

Jennie collects the scattered books and paper difficultly as she shyly says, "Excuse our messy space. I haven't cleaned up for more than a week and mom used to work a lot of overtimes before so I kind of got a little lazy too."

 

Chaeyoung helps her senior as she says, "It's alright unnie. Our places are much messier if only you see it."

 

The awkward Lisa on the other hand couldn't move as much as her best friend who is busily sharing discussions with Jennie while they tidy up the place. She knows none yet about Jennie aside from Chaeyoung's endless talks about her being such an admirable woman in and out of the university, hence, wanting to know more of her, she quietly scanned whatever her eyes would land on until her curiosity landed her to the photo frames hanged on the wall where portraits of their small family is shown.

 

“How cute…” Lisa remarked and smiled to herself at these baby photos of Jennie which her eyes can only see.

 

Lastly she found a photo frame by the racks at the side. For the frame is flipped down, the curious cat Lisa turns it open, only to see an old photo of a happy and complete small family of three that composes a little Jennie, and a deeply in love mother looking into her proud husband’s gazes as altogether they sit on a picnic cloth on an open park of the city. The family can be seen genuinely happy and contented with those smiles in their lips and Lisa’s heart is moved by this, slowly being drowned into her fantasies by just looking at them.

 

Jennie soon noticed her holding onto a frame that has long been forgotten, not until now that Lisa opened this one beautiful past yet so painful. She immediately left Chaeyoung in their small share of talks while they clean and hardly limped towards Lisa to retrieve that one piece of memory she once held in her hands, taking it back into her possession and looking down not to meet Lisa’s shocked and confused eyes.

 

“I’m uhh… sorry…” Lisa though confused with Jennie’s abrupt act, she muttered.

 

Jennie put the frame back on the rack but having the same flipped position as she answered low, “It’s alright. I’m sure you’ve heard some facts about me too, about my family particularly about mom and dad.”

 

“Sorry unnie… I told her about it.” Chaeyoung awkwardly stepped forward with a smile for Jennie but a deadly glare for Lisa over her curiosity that only brought heavy atmosphere between them.

 

Jennie exhaled loud, shaking off her anxieties as she goes back being cheery in a spilt second using her bright beam, “I’m not hiding anything about our family though. Yes, mom and dad aren’t together anymore and dad has his own family in New Zealand already. It’s just that, mom hates dad and everything about him ever since he left us so she’s keeping that one frame down. She could have removed it but I insisted to keep it on the rack.”

 

“I see…” Lisa nodded but with full caution this time she asks, “Does he know already, about what happened to your mom?”

 

Jennie unfortunately wobbles her head with a frown, “I haven’t told him yet and I might not even tell him. The last time I talked with mom, I promised her I won’t tell dad a single thing about her. I’m quite unsure this time though…”

 

“What are you planning to do from now on then unnie?” Chaeyoung asked concerned.

 

Yet Jennie returns a smile with such positivity, “Honestly I have a lot of things in mind right now. I can’t possibly use all of mom’s savings and money without doing anything so while I wait for her to recover, I might look for a part-time job. I don’t want to depend on mom especially this time it’s me whom she’ll depend on. I want her to be proud of me too once she wakes up and I can show her that she can rely on me too.”

 

“Won’t it be tough for you though? You’ll have to attend the university and other stuffs then your part-time job. Can you juggle all of it?” Chaeyoung again questioned.

 

And she receives another with a beam from Jennie, “Of course I can. You know me Chaeyoung, I won’t back out from my words and I put all of it in actions. Trust me, I can do this.”

 

“Wow, she’s so fast…” The amazed and stunned Lisa thought at the back of her mind as she stares at Jennie’s resolute expression with a determined smile.

 

Lisa has her surrounding in a blur but not for her sight that’s straight towards to Jennie who is shining so bright like a goddess in her eyes. Aside from noting how resolute she can be in all aspects despite of what’s going on through her life, Lisa can also see this determination she’s emitting, mentally comparing her to an active engine of a sports car that’s about to win a breath taking drag race.

 

“Lisa~ what’s wrong?” Chaeyoung snapped her fingers, waking up Lisa from her fantasies for the clueless Jennie whom she unknowingly dreamed of right on the spot.

 

Afraid to be caught fantasizing over her best friend’s crush, Lisa quickly returned thinking not twice, “Oh, I was thinking if Jennie would like to work for a part-time job in Chaerin-unnie’s performance shop. You know, that I shop I work at every morning, I think they are looking for part-timers too.”

 

“Yah! But that place isn’t suitable for Jennie-unnie!” Chaeyoung immediately argued as she glared at her best friend. “You can’t possibly let her to such works that only people with huge builds like your friends can do!” She then added.

 

Yet Lisa argues back in defense, “I didn’t say she’s going to change tires and fix an entire car. Of course Chaerin-unnie will have to consider that too! I’ll have to talk with her about this. I just wanted to help, okay? At least, Jennie won’t have to look around the city to search of a job anymore.”

 

As the best friends’ argument is starting to flame more, Jennie finally decided to step forward with a smile in attempt to loosen the tension, “Hey, you two, stop that. I understand you’re worried for me Chaeyoung and that you don’t want me to be harmed or whatsoever but at the same time I think Lisa also has a point.”

 

“But unnie…” Chaeyoung pouted.

 

And Lisa celebrated deep within, “Oh! I won!”

 

“I don’t know anything about cars, and I don’t even know what a performance shop looks like but at a time like this when I have nothing, don’t you think Lisa’s offer is worth the try? I mean, I’ll take it into consideration. I haven’t tried and seen it and besides, she’s still going to talk with the owner about the offer.” Jennie defended as she gazed at Chaeyoung’s concerned looks with a pout.

 

Chaeyoung, having no other way, she sighed in defeat, “Okay fine. Just make sure Lisa right here won’t involve you with those illegal things they do at night, drag racing… and for God’s sake I don’t even know if some people around her doing drugs and by the end of the day she would be chased by the police like the last time.”

 

“Yah Park Chaeyoung! Why do you talk as if I frequently get caught by the police and being put to jail? You’re staining my name in front of Jennie!” Lisa barked and started having a glare battle with her overprotective best friend.

 

“Isn’t it true though that you’re doing and joining those illegal races at night?” Chaeyoung sulked as she stretched her tongue out to childishly maddened best friend.     

 

Jennie, being out of place all of a sudden, she watches the best friends arguing boyishly in front of her, Lisa being so loud and hot-tempered while there’s Chaeyoung looking calm yet obviously muttering prayers for her best friend. This view, despite of having a heavy heart, it made Jennie burst out from laughter as she loves this sight, a sight she never thought would happen at such a dark night she never knew would lighten up a little.

 

Upon taking notice of Jennie’s soft giggles, the two immediately stopped and the ashamed Lisa over her rudeness asks shy, “W-what… w-why are you laughing?”

 

“Shouldn’t you be apologizing first instead?” Chaeyoung rustled so low that only her own self heard.

 

“Nothing. I just find the two of you so cute arguing like that. Maybe if I have a sister or maybe a best friend too then perhaps we’d be like you too. It’s just unfortunate that I’m the only daughter.” Jennie said trying to be calm amidst of feeling so bitter and envious deep within her heart.

 

So the bashful Lisa stepped forward proudly presenting herself with her right hand up, “Then, I’ll be your—“

 

Lisa was cut off for what she about to say as Chaeyoung has spanked her by the shoulders to stop with her playful words, “Okay! That’s enough of your senseless declarations Lisa! You already made me cringe from head to toe with your cheesy speech back in the hospital. Don’t dare you do it again. It’s embarrassing!”

 

“My, my… the two of you, calm down please…” Jennie softly giggled.

 

Before they start yet another senseless argument in a space they do not own, Jennie’s phone suddenly buzzed, ringing loud and it halted all of them for a moment, Lisa and Chaeyoung awkwardly arrested in their position while Jennie gloomily looking down at her phone with the caller’s name flashing bright on the screen. It’s evident in Jennie’s face, the muddle and the small panic in her eyes, that’s mixed with uncertainties drawn in her frowning lips that Lisa’s observant gazes can paint perfectly.

 

“It’s dad…” Jennie lowly voiced out. And with that tone of sadness she pleads avoiding the gazes of the two, “I’m sorry but can I have some time alone? I know it’s rude to ask you to leave after you guys came all the way here and I would love to prepare some foods for you guys too but you see… I…”

 

“Oh…” Lisa reacted awkward as she also looked down at the phone ringing that Jennie somehow gestured she has to get.  

 

Seeing that expression from Jennie and knowing almost all of it, Chaeyoung urgently announces and starts pulling Lisa along with her, “Unnie, it’s alright. We understand. We’ll just go ahead first then. I’ll call you later too before I sleep to check on you then maybe we’ll talk more about your plans some other day. For now, please do take care of yourself and rest immediately. You need it.”

 

“Thank you, Chaeyoung.” Jennie nodded to her then she looks at the disordered and slow Lisa, “You too, Lisa. Thank you for your concern. I greatly appreciate your help. I’ll contact you soon too regarding the part-time job you offered.”

 

“Y-yeah… sure…” Again, Lisa awkwardly answered.

 

“Then, I’ll just drop by again some time unnie.” Chaeyoung, in haste, paved goodbye and together with Lisa, she made a quick exit.

 

Though feeling regretful, the best friends left the injured woman all alone in that huge space of their home, no one to support her and no one to guide her. Yet as strong as she looks like, Chaeyoung, knowing Jennie for quite long, she knew she wouldn’t need more of their help, adding the fact she needed that space they have to give.  

 

And as they walk on the night street far sighting a bus stop they have to reach with their baby steps, Lisa voices her thought, “Is it really alright to leave her like that? She looked a little troubled with that call from her father…”

 

“Of course she will feel bothered. I think that would be his first phone call to her since the accident and surely he doesn’t have an idea of what happened to them yet.” Chaeyoung sighed but shortly determined, “But that’s Jennie-unnie… she can handle that. She’s a strong woman after all.”

 

“Oh, I see.” Lisa nodded and hummed, teasing her best friend who glared at her. “Well, I think I know now why you have huge crush on her. While I was looking at her, I immediately knew why a church girl like you is head over heels for her.”

 

Chaeyoung stopped midway and blocked Lisa’s way suspiciously questioning, “Yah, were you observing her the entire time? Are you having a crush on her too? That’s unfair! You already have a girlfriend! Don’t dare you also try to steal Jennie-unnie away from me!”

 

Lisa, as much as she wanted to deny straight to her face, for some reason she found her eyes avoiding Chaeyoung’s close glares, looked far behind her before she decided to continue marching forward while she stutters, “I’m n-n-not having a crush on her! D-don’t dare you assume things! I w-was just saying that you would look so good together if you guys become official or something!”

 

“Good!” Chaeyoung nodded as she’s satisfied of her best friend’s answer, though she stammered horribly. “Jisoo-unnie won’t like it too if you cheat on her or something so you better just leave Jennie-unnie to me, okay?” She added before she stepped in the bus that just arrived at the stop.

 

“Yeah… you’re just overthinking…” Lisa said and belatedly followed from behind Chaeyoung.

 

Lisa exhaled loud, far from Chaeyoung’s sharp ears for she’s thankful that her best friend must be tired enough not to notice her faltering not only with her words but with this sudden emotion that hit her by just thinking of Jennie, her face, her personality and her kind attitude. The image of Jennie, especially for this night that she’s beginning to take a closer look into her life, is imprinted into her mind and how she finds it odd that it’s going down to her heart making her nervous by just the mere thought of her.

 

Meanwhile, the one left behind, Jennie, who watched her phone ringing million times with trails of thoughts running wild and desolated emotions lingering her soul. Jennie was left alone by the living room and while she lets her phone rings nonstop, she takes her time recollecting herself and to be this strong lady that even if no one else is watching her, she can still pull this tough look in her expression. As soon as she breathed out all of her miseries, she went back to her phone and picks this call she never missed to answer every time, an anticipated call every time the night gets deep and all are in their sleep.

 

One last cough before she answers joyous through the line, “Hi dad! I thought you’ve forgotten to call me already.”

 

“How can I forget to call my baby girl?” Her jolly father joked. “I’m sorry I couldn’t call you for the past few days. Your father right here is so tight with his work schedules.” He said apologetic in his tone.

 

Jennie mumbled thankfully, just so low enough only for her to hear, “Well that’s a good thing you didn’t call.”

 

“So, how did your days go? How’s college? How’s your homework? You should be sleeping by now.” He then asked nonstop as he grilled his fully-awaked daughter.

 

“Oh dad c’mon, I’m not your little girl anymore. I’m an adult and I can take care of myself. Of course I’ve finished everything seamlessly. And shouldn’t you be the one sleeping already? It’s past midnight in there, dad.” Jennie argued and giggled over her father’s silliness.

 

But the father laughs loud, “You’re right. You’re not that cute little baby anymore. Sorry, your dad still wants to believe that you’re that one cute grade school girl I always carry on my shoulders back then.”

 

“Okay dad, whatever.” Jennie rolled her eyes and repositioned as she dropped her weak and beaten up body on the couches, looking straight up the white ceiling that feels so empty.

 

“By the way, how’s your mom too? Is she doing fine? I haven’t talked to her these past few weeks too. She might sulk if I don’t check on her too you know.” The father then questioned next.

 

And this left Jennie speechless for seconds. With her free hand she gritted onto her lap and spits out a lie that’s too against her will, “Mom is just doing fine dad. She’s just taking lots of works recently and she’s taking too much overtime and often sleeps at the hospital too. She’s keeping herself busy. You know, my college fees and some expenses keep on increasing.”

 

“I’m sorry that this useless father of yours can’t be of too much help for you. I don’t know what to say or how to face your mother with this little amount I’m sending to you for the support.” Her father sulked.

 

“Dad, you don’t really have to apologize. I and mom understand that. Besides, you have your own family to take care too, right? We already talked about that.” Jennie said so calm to ease her father’s burden, thinking more for him than to herself.

 

The helpless father heaves a long heavy sigh, “I’m so blessed that I have a daughter like you. You sure understand everything.”

 

“Yeah…” Jennie uttered short.

 

“Then, I’ll be going to bed and you should too. I’ll be calling again tomorrow, like the always. Take care.”

 

“Good night, dad.” Jennie ended with a smile and one last teardrop of the night.

 

Jennie neither feels glad nor lonely after talking to her distant father can’t she even embrace at a cold depressing night. This feeling of confusion mixed with her worsening depression though isn’t bizarre anymore; rather it’s too familiar for her heart to contain and finds no trouble in feeling it. She can smile. She can laugh and she can be this bright woman in the eyes of everyone but something inside her, unknown to the world, is grabbing her heart so tight it crushes into pieces. And slowly, bit by bit, on a lonesome hour, the brightness is gulped by the emptiness.

 

This is the life of a person who rejects weakness in order to live on. Unlike any other carefree people she often envies, she battles it out there and brings the best and worst in her. She’s a woman who falls but catches herself. She’s a woman having only herself in facing her life’s trials. She may have friends and she may have people to support her but only her she can lift herself up. Knowing that, she has become this woman independent in every move and decision she makes.

 

“Nothing will happen if I just sit here and do none. I have to live alone and wait for mom to wake up. I should make her proud of me.” Jennie said so resolute, encouraging herself for there is no one to do it for her.

 

Consequently, the next day, when everyone seems and appears unproblematic, typical people having their usual routine and their faces that shows nothing but plain boring life like most always have. Physically, these unique people gathered at the performance shop share the same old smiles and laughter in between their busy working hours of fixing cars and providing services. Yet mentally somewhere lurking in their minds and deep within their emotions, there are things they try to forget, possible facts they want to shake off their doubtful heart.

 

Hanbin, as he cleans his car parked by the garage, from the other side he can see his friend Bobby being devastated still over his wrecked car he cannot even fix. The way he stands look so drained he cannot keep his knees straight and his teary eyes locked onto his car, everything is evident that all Hanbin can do is to fake a cough saying, “Boo~ stop spacing out! We got a lot of things to do here.”

 

And Bobby snapped back to his right senses forcing out a smile, “S-sorry… I was just looking at my poor baby right here.”

 

“I know. It’s obvious since you’ve been staring at that for quite long now.” Hanbin just smirked for him.

 

As Bobby walked towards the tools on shelf at a side, he groans, “Besides, I’m not only worried about the car too. I’m most importantly worried for Lisa and you know what I mean, right? You race too, you should know…”

 

That’s when Hanbin soon also slowed down from working as his mind began to think deep, thoughts of Lisa’s face that was painted with fear and her body that trembled from head to toe on that very day she hit one of her life’s biggest rock bottom. Picturing this in his head, Hanbin frowns, “I know… You don’t really have to remind me. I’m actually trying not to think about it and I’m still hoping for the best.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Bobby halted and looked at Hanbin behind him standing still, almost as weak as he is. But then he went on with facts, “I can’t help it and if Lisa will really acquire that fear to race again, or even ride a car, I won’t be surprised honestly. Even I, when I got this injury, I was quite scared to be on races again but it’s just that maybe perhaps I’m handling this fear very well and I hope Lisa will get over it too.”

 

“I wonder how she’s doing now. She hasn’t come to work yet. She’s never been this late.” Hanbin wondered upon checking at the time at the wall.

 

Entering in her usual style, walking like a badass queen with her perfectly done make-up like how she has always been, Chaerin interrupted the two after catching them in talks of Lisa as she says, “Lisa won’t be coming today. She’s going to the hospital where Jennie’s mother was confined. She has to pay her visit and she also said she’s going to hang out with Jisoo today to catch up with her too.”

 

“Oh really? Wow, isn’t Lisa being like a lover material or something?” Hanbin doubted.

 

Yet Bobby believed, “Don’t say that. We all know Lisa has always been like that, caring towards others. Moreover, you cannot take it off from her head that she feels quite responsible for what happened to Jennie’s mom despite of the case being closed until Jennie’s mom wakes up.”

 

“Furthermore…” Chaerin faked a cough as she goes on, “Lisa also asked me another favor. She wants us to hire Jennie as a part-timer here. I couldn’t get the full details though but she sounded begging so hard for it through the phone. It seems like she really needs Jennie to have this part-time job and I already asked some of the boys here and they seem to be fine having another girl in the shop. How about you guys?”

 

“So… I see they are just friends then…” Hanbin mocked Bobby right after the revelation.  

 

“W-well, I think there’s no problem with us having a new girl in the shop. Maybe she can do some of the light works here while she’s still injured.” Bobby stuttered.

 

“And we can have a new babe! We’ll going to be inspired every day because for sure Jennie looks a lot prettier in person!” Hanbin joked but ended up bad as he received a heavy smash of Chaerin’s heavy hand by his shoulder.

 

Hence Chaerin concluded, “Okay then. It’s settled. I’ll tell Lisa later on about this. And hey, treat our new girl when she comes and starts working here. I don’t want any trouble. None of you will hit on her or even attempt to make a move on her, okay?”

 

“Yes ma’am!” The two boys saluted.

 

Chaerin, halfway of leaving the garage she stopped as she asks without looking back, “By the way, I heard you guys are talking about Lisa…”

 

Bobby steps forward admitting in a grimace, “Ah yeah. We’re just thinking that you know… she might have this phobia or something when she rides a car now, after the incident not long ago. Still, we’re hoping that wouldn’t be the case.”

 

Chaerin sighs, “Actually, when Lisa called me earlier, I talked about racing and about cars, also with other stuffs related about racing but she avoided the topic, saying and asking about how the shop is going and even weirdly asked about sales. That girl, I’m afraid it might take her some time for her mind to recover from the incident.”

 

All were left in blank for a moment, thinking how dreadful Lisa’s face was that day and as if in a cue they all sighed helpless as they go on with their work. The worries and anxieties, all creep into their veins, conjecturing Lisa’s racing career be at its end, or perhaps just the beginning of her racing journey which she just started to enjoy yet too early to be wrecked.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter