A Horrible Night Out

A Letter To The Sun

Hello,

I'm back finally.... not with another Ad Astra update, unfortunately, but with a small update to this tiny story. It was supposed to be a oneshot, but a reader who has previously been very gracious with their comments expected more since the chapter wasn't called "final" or anything. Alright. I think this story could use another few chapters, so here's one, and I'll probably do another one or two before this fic is officially over. Happy almost Thanksgiving if you celebrate :)


Waiting for their luggage to appear on the carousel, Byulyi and Genevieve continued to talk animatedly about their plans. They'd both managed to get the same two weeks off, which was a minor miracle, and both had decided it was high time they vacationed in Korea.
Byulyi’s parents had visited a few times since her move to France, all of which were lovely. Even the trip they'd made to meet this “Genevieve” for the first time was rather enjoyable. The Moons were older now, and Byulyi had nudged Gen and jokingly suggested that they took it so well because they had reached the status of “too old to give a ”.
“You do realize that you're really going to have to hold my hand through this, right? I can barely introduce myself, and you laugh at my accent!”
Genevieve gave Moonbyul a look- half serious and half light-hearted terror.
“Don't worry,” Moonbyul grinned. “With me as your tour guide and translator you are guaranteed to have fun! We're gonna hit all the best stores, the best restaurants, everything Seoul has to offer!” Byulyi motioned to their surroundings. “Don't forget that I lived here most of my life… I know that my French is flawless, so I understand if it slipped your mind.”
She craned her neck to check the latest clump of bags that had just made their way onto the conveyor belt.
“Oh! There they are!” Moonbyul and Gen dashed over to beat the small mob that was about to form, grabbed their large suitcases with a great deal of effort and began to wheel them towards the exit.
“God, what was I thinking packing so much?” Moonbyul cried.
“Well, if I recall,” Gen looked at Moonbyul with a smug grin, “a certain someone insisted on bringing a million gifts with them to give to everyone.” The girls paused for a bit as they struggled to navigate the doorway without falling over. “I also seem to recall another, very beautiful someone recommending you take less.”
“Yeah. Well. Maybe you were right.” Byulyi gave a tug and pulled her suitcase off curb. “But our driver today loves collecting random crap, and we've got to pay her somehow.”
The duo continued across the street, Byulyi looked around for the familiar face. Suddenly a car horn sounded - the women turned toward the sound, their eyes landing on an exuberant young lady, animatedly jumping and waving her arms. “Byul! Byul! Over here!”
Byulyi leaned over to Gen and muttered, “Well, Wheein hasn't changed a bit by the look of things.”
As soon as they got to the car Wheein pounced. “Oh my god Byul! It's so good to finally see you again - it's been so long!” She wrapped Byulyi in a ferocious hug. “We both thought… me and Hyejin... that you'd come visit us sooner than this. It's been six years since you left!"
Byulyi let out a polite chuckle, turning to Gen to give a quick translation. “And this!" Wheein continued. "This must be the girlfriend we've been hearing about!” Wheein extended her hand toward Genevieve, “Hello, I'm Wheein, nice to meet you.” Byulyi raised a brow at Wheein’s stellar pronunciation… had she always been that good?
“Yes, nice to meet you too, Wheein, I'm Genevieve.” the two exchanged a small, slightly awkward handshake before they all loaded the bags into the car.
“So, did you guys have something planned for your first night or are you down for going out drinking with me Hyejin and Yongsun?” Asked Wheein, who had slipped back into Korean.
Byulyi looked to Gen, “She wants to know if you're down with drinking tonight.” Byulyi nervously hoped Gen hadn't been listening hard enough to distinguish the name Yongsun in all of Wheein's talking. Byulyi had told Gen about Yongsun, and didn't know quite what she would think about spending her first evening in Korea with her girlfriend's ex crush. 
“Oh. That sounds fine. We didn't really plan anything until tomorrow anyway, so if you aren't too tired from traveling I'm up for it.”
Byulyi nodded. “Sounds good, Wheein. Do you have a place in mind?”
“Yes! There's this place near the office that has pretty good fried chicken, and this is the kicker, sells decent alcohol pretty cheap! It's so hard to find reasonable prices in Seoul, the cost of living here is really getting out of hand. It's not like we're all rich enough to pay Gangnam prices. Really! Whatever the local government is doing with the-”
“Woah there.” Byulyi interrupted Wheein. “Cool it for a second Wheein. I've got to fill Gen in.”
After a few seconds of rapid fire English, Byulyi turned back to Wheein. “Okay, you can resume your rant now.”
“Ah no- it's okay. I should make more of an effort to use English.” After a quick glance in the rear view mirror, Wheein merged over and continued talking. “So, Genevieve. Is this your first time to visiting Korea?”
“Yes, it is, but Byulyi and I have been planning to visit for a long time.”
Wheein furrowed her brow, clearly not understanding it all, and once again Byulyi had to translate. The conversation continued like this the rest of the way to the hotel.

----------------

“Well, I'll leave you guys here to get unpacked and ready. I'll be back in… how about two hours?” Wheein closed the trunk with a firm shove.
“Alright, sounds good! We’ll see you at seven,” replied Byulyi.
Wheein got in her car and drove straight to Hyejin’s apartment.
“Oh my god Hyejin!” Wheein threw open the door. “I just picked Byulyi up from the airport, and I know that we knew that she had a girlfriend, and I know that we knew what she looked like, and….”
“What the hell Wheein? Could you be any more insane? Take a few breaths… in, and out… and then try again.”
“She’s so pretty. She's even prettier in person than she is in the pictures! How the hell did a spaz like Byulyi manage to get the attention of someone as pretty as her?”
“Is it really that bad?” Hyejin looked dubiously at Wheein.
“Trust me Hyejin. It's bad. When Yongsun unnie sees Byulyi’s girlfriend there's gonna be blood.”
Hyejin searched Wheein face for any sign of exaggeration, and found none.
“Well then. This could very well be a horrible night out.”


Hopefully I'll be back with an update soon. Thanksgiving break is coming up fast and celebrating with an update to this story, or Ad Astra, or both would be a great way to celebrate! Comment if you like, I make every effort to reply to each one :)

Hope everyone is doing well,

Tom