A New Tenant

Flames of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You're kidding! What in the world is this you're suggesting?" Kang Heeyoung sprang up and placed her hands on her hips as she glared suspiciously at Lee Jinki who had risen as well and who raised both his hands before him in a placating gesture.

 

 

Heeyoung took a step back from the park bench, just outside of the hospital, that she had just occupied. She had followed the doctor and Taemin outside because the doctor had said they needed to discuss something imoprtant. He'd seemed so serious that she had followed him nervously, assuming it was a serious discovery about Taemin's medical condition requiring some sort of legal compesation. But this? This was ridiculous. It sounded like these two men were suddenly trying to take advantage of her and the hospitality she'd shown Taemin the night before.

 

 

Beside the doctor, Taemin rose hesitantly from his perch and looked at her with those dark eyes. Eyes that shouldn't be so gosh darn puppy-like.

 

 

No. No way. Kang Heeyoung, these men are trying to pull something. They must be in cahoots together or something. How in the world can they ask this of me?

 

 

Lee Jinki frowned worriedly and pushed his glasses that he'd put back on further up his nose.

 

 

"Please Heeyoung-ssi. Try to understand. My cousin is obviously unwell. Although physically we can find nothing wrong with him, there can be other side affects we are unaware of...he needs a quiet, solitary place where he can recooperate."

 

 

"If he's your cousin, then he can live with you, doctor. Look, I'm grateful you're willing to pick up his medical tab, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let a possibly mental person live in my house. Plus, a man living in a woman's home is not generally a good idea, you know?"

 

 

Lee Jinki nodded, conceding her points and gently motioned for her to sit back down. Once she did, he and Taemin also sat back down. The bench was fairly long, so the three of them had no problem fitting on it. Above them, golden sunlight beat down on them. It was warm. But Heeyoung was sure it wasn't the cause of the nervous sweat that was trickling down the back of her neck.

 

 

"Please," Lee Jinki flashed her an apologetic smile, "I understand how this must look Heeyoung-ssi. But I promise, my cousin is not that kind of man. I know it may be hard to believe, but it seems to me that the fall he sustained did something to his brain. He knows nothing about how the world functions, and as I'm sure you have seen, he has lost his ability to communicate effectively. 

 

 

He's a young, poor boy who recently lost his family. Shortly after that, he disappeared. When you brought him into my hospital, and I realized he was alive, you have no idea how shocked and relieved I was. I'm the only family he has left. But as a doctor, I can't just quit my job when people so desperately need me. I need to make a living to be able to support us. We're all we have." He placed his hand on Taemin's shoulder and they shared a look riddled with some sort of emotion. Heeyoung couldn't quite pinpoint it. Loyalty? Determination? Companionship?

 

 

Heeyoung pulled her jacket more firmly around her as the wind brushed by. Although it was a warm day, the breeze was nippy, and Heeyoung did not like the cold. She rubbed her hand across her forehead frowning at what was being said.

 

 

"So," continued Lee Jinki, "Now that I have found him again, I want to make sure he's taken care of. I can't be there for him all the time and he still needs to recover. There are plenty of people I could hire to work with and look after him, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter