006 The Run-In

Flames of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Taemin awoke to an outline of hulking flame and starlight.

 

He blinked.

 

Starlight glimmered like scattered diamonds across the vast expanse of heavens above. An insistent night breeze ruffled through his hair. As his vision adjusted, he realized he was hanging limply from the talons of the Phoenix. The Eternal cradled him in his claws as gently as if he were a baby. Though the talons were razor sharp, they didn’t so much as scratch Taemin’s exposed flesh.

 

As Taemin looked past the outline of flames from the Phoenix, he realized the Phoenix was flying through the night, carrying him somewhere.

 

Did I...Am I dead? Taemin tentatively asked it.

 

No, young one. You are not dead. Wait a moment longer for your senses to kick back in and you will feel the pain your body has endured…if you were dead, you wouldn’t feel it at all.

 

How did I come to be here? Taemin wondered.

 

He tried to look behind him, and could make out the world below passing by. Dark forms of forest, and rugged terrain, whooshed past in the blink of an eye. It turned his stomach, so he faced forward again. The heavens opened before him, and the smooth rocking of flight calmed the nausea.

 

It was at about that time, that the pain crept into consciousness. He in a sharp breath and closed his eyes tightly, bracing himself.

 

You were nearly gone when I came. The Phoenix said solemnly, I felt your call... You said you were wrong...did you truly mean that?

 

Taemin kept his eyes shut floating in his own darkness as he answered, Yes. You were right. I was so consumed with vengeance, at first, that I didn’t see the big picture. But I learned to see it. I met Lauren...and halemoni. They were good people. They were kind. If I had been consumed with vengeance, I would have killed them. I wouldn’t have cared about their lives, their joys or sorrows...I would have seen nothing beyond myself.

 

In the end, I wanted to protect them...but I failed. In the end, because of me, they’re gone. The pain at that thought was stronger than the pain he felt from the ordeal he had just been through.

 

You did all you could, young one. The Phoenix replied simply. It is enough. You learned the importance of protecting those weaker than yourself. You learned that not everyone is your enemy. There is evil in the world that is meant to be eradicated, but you have learned not to let your emotions determine who is to live and who is to die. A person’s actions will tell you about what they are really like. Because you learned to love those whom you had vowed to hate, their sacrifice was not in vain.

 

Taemin was calmed by the words of the Phoenix, though he still ached at the loss of his loved ones.

 

So what happened then? How did you get me out? Taemin asked, more to distract himself from his own jumbled thoughts.

 

I came to get you. There was a magic barrier of some kind...a box you were being kept in. They were killing you inside it. So...I dove into the barrier and destroyed it. I took you and left.

 

What happened to the people? There were people there...Taemin remembered.

 

Gone. was all the Phoenix said.

 

Taemin allowed the silence that settled over them to last. It was not that hard to imagine: the fiery Eternal swooping through the night sky, bursting the barrier; the arena going up in uncontrollable flames around them. He doubted anyone would survive a Phoenix attack.

 

He thought of General Ji, of the royal who had sat in the top box, of the nobles and military men…

 

A silent acceptance settled over him. He hadn’t needed to kill General Ji. It was enough to know the man was gone...so he couldn’t hurt anyone else. Taemin could accept his, and the deaths of everyone else...and he wasn’t going to pretend to miss them.

 

They flew on in silence for a time before the Phoenix finally spoke again. You are unusually powerful. When I arrived, I saw what havoc you wrought. Your ancestors had to train immensely before they could even create a controlled, flame whip. Yet the power you unleashed...that would normally take a mortal years to learn. You even had control over how much of your clothing you burned off, while keeping some intact.

 

Well it wasn’t exactly a practical outfit for defending myself. Taemin smiled at the thought of burning that accursed outfit. And I don’t know why fire comes so naturally to me. I never had to work too hard at it...The only time I have to really try is if I don’t have energy; if I’m weak. I just have to picture in my mind what I want to have happen, and the flames just obey.

 

The Phoenix eyed Taemin with a bright, interested eye. You have a rare gift, it said finally.

 

The Phoenix then slowed his wings to a steady flap, preparing for descent. He circled in the air with a few powerful , before he landed. Taemin was deposited on a rocky surface. He lay there unmoving. It would hurt too much to try to sit up.

 

I’m going to be so bruised tomorrow. He thought grimly. Though I suppose it’s a small price to pay for being alive.

 

The Phoenix made an odd, grinding sound that was coupled with the hiss of flames and a couple popping noises. Taemin raised a tired eyebrow at it; trying to imitate the gesture his mother had always used.

 

Is that...Are you laughing at me? he demanded.

 

You are amusing, young one.

 

Where are we? Taemin asked, as the Phoenix wrapped its gargantuan body around him, encompassing him in a protective circle.

 

The mountain where you found me. We are deep inside it. Now, young one, it is time to sleep. You need rest. We will talk in the morning. There is much we have to discuss.

 

Taemin didn’t need to be told twice. His body felt like it had been thrown around, stomped on, and used as a punching bag...which it technically had. Exhaustion was a companion he happily yielded himself too. He allowed the heaviness that descended on his eyelids to pull them shut. His breathing evened out, and in a moment, he had settled into a peaceful oblivion.

 

Taemin awoke the next morning, stiff and sore from sleeping on hard rock. He lay there for a moment, gathering his determination, and then tried to sit up. He yelped as the tenderness of his body protested his actions. Looking down at himself, Taemin winced as he took in his bare stomach. It was a mottled medley of blue and black. The bruises were fully developed, and extremely tender. He rubbed his upper arms. Not because he was cold, he didn’t get cold anymore, but because it was a comforting habit.

 

I see you are awake. Taemin looked over at the Phoenix that was perched on a cliffside above him, a dead tellion in its beak. The Phoenix dropped it a few feet from Taemin who scrambled backwards, afraid the bulky animal would land on him.

 

It’s completely burned. Taemin eyed the tellion that had most of its tough hide singed. Where the beak had held the animal, the flesh was charred. That part at least wouldn’t be edible.

 

I was under the impression humans cooked their meat. The Phoenix cocked its head. Do you prefer raw meat?

 

We do cook our meat...we just don’t over cook it. Taemin smiled.

 

Well, next time, I will just bring it to you. I won’t try to help you cook it. The Phoenix seemed miffed.

 

Thank you for trying to help. Taemin made his way forward toward the cooked weasel like creature, with the elongated muzzle of a wolf. He tore off a section of meat and began nibbling trying to appease the offended Eternal.

 

The Phoenix watched him eat the overdone meat with satisfaction. A burnt to a crisp taste assaulted Taemin’s tastebuds, but he kept eating. It was sustenance after all. His body needed whatever it could get so it could begin to heal.

 

So...you mentioned we had a lot to talk about. Taemin noted as he ate the meat. His fingers were grimy from handling the stuff, but he didn’t care. He reached for the tellion and grabbed another handful as he eyed the Phoenix.

 

That is correct. The Phoenix settled it’s body on the cliff, where it peered down at him comfortably. I was contemplating what I should do with you.

 

What you should do with me? Taemin prompted. What do you mean by that?

 

Well, you no longer have a people here. The remnants of the Mages will want you dead. You are an outcast, and you are alone.

 

I’m not alone. I have you. Taemin pointed out.

 

But I will not always be able to be with you, young one.

 

Taemin’s blood went cold at the Phoenix’s words.

 

So...what are you planning to do with me? Taemin choked down the food in his mouth, and put what remained in his hand on the rock beside him. His stomach suddenly seemed taught with nerves. He didn’t feel he could eat another bite. Would the Phoenix abandon him?

 

The Phoenix dipped its great head. There are many worlds beyond this one, young one. You know I am an Eternal. I have many brothers and sisters. Together, we are 13. We dwell in the heavens...We are the creators of worlds. I have been away from my own for a great age and must return soon. You would not be able to go with me, but...I could send you to a world beyond this one. You could start over...have a new life...a fresh start.

 

Taemin’s mind reeled as he examined the words of the Phoenix in his mind. A new world? There are many other worlds besides my own? I could go to a new one? His mind almost didn’t know how to process the information...but perhaps it wasn’t so unnatural after all. After all, it would be a primitive thought to think that out of all the vastness of the universe, his world was the only one in existence.

 

What are they like, the other worlds?

 

They are what they are. The Phoenix replied.

 

That isn’t very helpful. Taemin frowned.

 

Some worlds are similar to your own, others are quite different. They have similar fundamental aspects as they are all connected to the Tree, but they do vary.

 

They’re connected to a tree? Taemin asked confusedly.

 

Yes. The Tree of Life. In the Universe, there is a Tree. It has endless branches, and every branch leads to a different world. The worlds are all different. Some are young worlds. Some are old. Some worlds, like yours, have people who wield great power. Some do not.

 

On every world, there is a portal. The portal allows you the ability to travel to another world. Normally if you were to travel between worlds, you would do so through a portal; but as you have me, I can simply drop you off to any world of your choosing without having to use one.

 

Why won’t you stay with me on this new world? Taemin asked as if trying to convince the Phoenix to stay with him.

 

I must rejoin the 12; as I have been gone, the balance of things has been upset. I must right that balance by returning. The Phoenix replied. But if you wish it, I can take you where you would go. I will, however, say this. If you go to another world, you will retain your powers with fire. The fundamental similarities that exist on every world, will allow you to use your powers no matter what world you decide to go to. But the worlds do have differences in their cosmic makeup. This may affect your powers…

 

What do you mean by that? Taemin asked, not sure he liked what he was hearing.

 

I do not know. The Phoenix replied. I just know your powers can be affected, for good, or bad. You will have to find what your new limitations and abilities will be in your new world...if you decide to go, that is.

 

I... will go. Taemin said slowly, but firmly. He knew there was nothing left for him if he stayed. Nothing but an empty existence. He had no purpose here. No family, no people. If he went to another world, perhaps...perhaps he could forge a new destiny for himself. One with purpose.

 

There are many worlds to choose from. The Phoenix said finally. What type of world would you like to go to?

 

A young world. Tamein decided. One where the people there don’t have the ability to bend the elements.

 

I know of a planet that fits that description. The people who dwell on that world call it Earth.

 

Earth. To name a world after an element was strange to Taemin. He thought of General Ji, using his elemental abilities to manipulate earth to help him rise to power. Surely there would be people like him on that planet, capable of harming others for the sake of their own pleasure and personal gain. Then he pictured Lauren. Her excitement as she had handed him a beautiful, white flower that he had planted in earth so that it could survive. Survive. That was what he was doing was he not? He would be planted, like that flower, on this new world where he would not just survive, he would thrive.

 

Yes. I will go to Earth.

 

Why would you choose a world like that?

 

Because Taemin replied firmly, If they can’t control elements, then they are more of a helpless people, are they not? If I am to be fated with such great power, I will use it for good. I will use it to protect people who won’t be able to protect themselves...like halemoni. Like Lauren.

 

The Phoenix accepted that.

 

We can leave whenever you wish, young one.

 

Alright. Taemin wiped his hands on his filthy red pants and stood. He ignored his pain from the bruises. What were bruises compared to the wealth of information he had just learned that was swirling through his mind? But first...take me home one more time.

 

***

 

Taemin found a trunk buried in the rubble of the palace. He had seen it peeking out of the debris piled where Sungmin’s room had once stood. It took him some time to dig it out, but when he did, he opened it to find training clothes and weapons.

 

A crisp, white sparring uniform emerged; one outfitted for a crown prince. Normally, training gear didn’t have ribbons, or tassels, or hanging decoration of any kind. But Sungmin had been the crown prince. His outfit had been an exception.

 

Taemin lifted the garments out of the box and looked at them for a long while. Two small fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter