001 Flame Keepers

Flames of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 “Are you sure honey? You’ve heard this story at least a hundred times.” She sat perched on the side of his bed, her deep green dress contrasted beautifully against her curling dark hair that was piled in a delicate heap on top of her head secured with green and cream ribbons. She leaned forward and, with a pale hand, brushed back Taemin’s dark bangs from his forehead. Her drooping sleeve sported golden tassels that brushed against his cheek as she did so.

 

“Of course umma,” he grinned up at her with the dark glint in his eye full of the playful assurance he’d get his way.

 

“Aigoo, my little son knows just what he wants.” Smiled the beautiful woman, “Very well darling.” She got up off his crimson and gold coverlet. The dark, russet canopy that draped itself around his bed full of plump, black, and red cushions embroidered in gold, hung heavily around him; the large golden rope tassels swayed as his mother brushed past them. She glided silently over the dark wood floor and reached out to stoke the flames in the fireplace that protruded from the opposite wall. Sparks flared in the grate as she straightened and returned to her seat beside her son.

 

Taemin’s eyes never left his mother. The way the firelight illuminated her face, leaving parts in shadow fascinated him; she was the most beautiful woman he’d ever known. She was also the most talented story-teller he’d ever known. He was determined. He wouldn’t go to bed until he heard his favorite story from her. “Now umma,” he told her pointedly, “Tell me about the Flame Keepers.”

 

His mother closed her eyes for a moment as if she were trying to decide how to start the story. Taemin didn’t know why she did it; for dramatic effect perhaps. She knew, just as he did, how the story started. Slowly she opened her eyes and began…

 

Many millenia ago… our ancestors fought against the elements for survival. They lived in caves and small villages, and hunted in order to obtain food. Back then, we lived in peace with the Mages. However, the Mages were better equipped than we for survival in that dark world… for one of the Ancient Ones had blessed them with the powers of the land.

 

But we were not so soon to be outdone…One night, under the light of the full moon, an Ancient One came to us from the heavens.

 

“The Phoenix…” Taemin breathed in excitement, eyes wide.

 

“That’s right,” his mother his hair and continued.

 

The Ancient One was a creature of old magic. A large bird of prey made up entirely of flames. He was exceedingly powerful and incredible to behold. Made of embers and flames, ashes drifted behind him as he flew like a flaming shadow across the skies. He had observed our people and realized the Mages had the ability to manipulate the earth: forming plants for survival and protection, but that our

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter