The Golden Thread, Part 3

The Golden Thread

The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is to check my wrist and I’m just as shocked as I was last night to see the thread still continues. What does this mean? I thought no one survived that ferry accident, so why is my thread healing? Does a broken thread simply mean a broken heart and that mine is rebuilding means that my heart is healing? No, that can’t be the solution, that sounds weird. Does it mean that someone else has been found for me and my thread is now connected to a different person? But why doesn’t it have the normal neutral color then? So no, that doesn’t make sense either. But the only other option that comes to my mind is just as impossible. If a person is dead, then they are dead, there’s no coming back from the dead after six and a half years! I grimace when I can’t help but imagine going out with a half-rotten zombie and I quickly shake my head to chase that image out of my head.

But what else is left?

I stare at my right wrist, but the same three options and the same thoughts keep on circulating in my mind.

Realizing after a couple of minutes that I’ll be late for work if I overthink this right now, I scramble out of bed and get ready instead.

 

As time passes, the others are starting to ignore my absent-mindedness and mainly chat among themselves. I still try to do my best at work, but I notice I’m even slacking there, so I often take work home. During all this time, I keep on watching my thread as it slowly regains its color until it looks like these threads always do when you haven’t met your partner yet, it’s a soft gold, not shimmering, not drawing attention, but it’s there, sturdy and looking fragile, but not broken, not gray, not looking like it’s about to be ripped apart. I also feel a little better, like that hole that had been ripped into my heart is gone. So does that mean my mysterious stranger hasn’t died, that he’s still alive somewhere? Then how can I reach him? How am I supposed to find out where he is? There’s too much work for me to do to just go and I only have the vague direction of the thread. What if he’s on a different continent now, what if he’s back in China where I think he lives? No, somehow the thread doesn’t point to the direction of China which is just another mystery to me. Then where else? The Philippines maybe? And isn’t Australia also in exact direction? Could it be that he's still in South Korea?

 

Months go by while I can’t do anything but watch my thread, waking up every morning to expect that I have only dreamed my thread coming back to life just to be reminded every time that I have not, that this is real.

“I’m getting used to Heechul being this way, but what about you, Jungsu?” Hyukjae’s voice suddenly pulls me out of my wondering and I feel like I’m truly with my friends again for the first time since my thread began to rebuild itself. Gosh, what did I miss out on? I glance at Hyukjae and Donghae, but both of them are looking at Jungsu, so I glance into that direction as well.

The oldest one of us looks at Hyukjae in surprise, but somehow there’s the edge of something I can’t quite grasp right now. “What do you mean?”

“What ‘what do you mean’? Heechul-hyung is absent-minded all the time and I don’t even know why he’s still coming with us and now you are starting to be down as well! Seriously, it’s the new year, shouldn’t we all be in a good mood instead?” Hyukjae complains and I think about protesting that I am here – at least now I am – but then I decide to remain quiet, too interested in Jungsu’s response and too embarrassed because I haven’t noticed anything at all so far. Should I start considering it a miracle that no one ran me over with how little attention I have paid? Probably…

Jungsu shakes his head lightly and smiles at Hyukjae. “I honestly don’t know what you mean, I’m fine.”

“Yeah, sure you are…”

“I mean it!”

“Which doesn’t mean that I am convinced.”

Suddenly, Donghae glances into my direction and I can see his eyes widen a little, then he nudges his boyfriend. “Hyukkie, I think someone woke up from his trance.”

Hyukjae turns and I can see in his expression that he wants to tell Donghae off so he can continue to convince Jungsu to tell him what’s going on, but then he just stares at me for a couple of seconds instead before he can apparently speak up again. “Yah! Where have you been all this time!? How can you just let your body walk around like an empty shell!? Did it never occur to you that zombies are still creepy?”

I can’t help but chuckle softly at Hyukjae’s exaggeration though I have to admit he’s probably at least a little right with what he said. “I’m sorry. I was… kinda busy trying to figure something out.”

“And what was that something? Seriously, you owe us a proper apology and an explanation!”

I open my mouth to say that I can’t tell him, but then I see that all three of them are looking at me expectantly. I bite my lip instead and try to make something up that will sound credible and not too far-fetched, but in the end, I decide to stick as close to the truth as possible. “Donghae, remember when we met for the second time and I told you there’s probably no such thing as a true love for me?”

“Of course I do. It sounded really sad, I wouldn’t forget something like that,” Donghae replies immediately so I nod.

“Well, maybe things have changed now.”

“It looked more like you were becoming suicidal the way you were always staring at your wrist,” Hyukjae observes and I flinch. I should have paid more attention to my behavior!

“I’m sorry. That’s not it at all.”

“Good because if this had lasted another month, I swear I would have started to convince you to either talk to us or seek professional help,” Hyukjae resumes and then turns back to Jungsu. “You’re not off the hook yet. I still want an explanation from you, too. And you better not wait as long as this guy here did,” he adds and nods towards me at the last remark.

I frown in remorse when I realize how much of an effect my worry and confusion had on the others because I never meant to make them worry this much. I’m still the second oldest of our group, I should much rather be the one to worry about everyone around me! “How about this: as an apology I’ll treat you guys next Monday,” I offer in part to take the attention away from Jungsu again. If he doesn’t want to talk about it right now, I’ll respect that, but I will pay closer attention to him from now on to try and figure out as well what’s going on. I’ve already done enough damage by not having noticed first that something’s going on.

They all nod and Donghae grins in triumph. “If this is the result, you’re allowed to be absent-minded more often,” he declares and Hyukjae laughs in response, ruffling his boyfriend’s hair.

“I’d still prefer you all being here with us – in every way.”

“By the way, Heechul.” I look at Jungsu when he speaks up, so he continues, “When you said there may be true love for you, does it mean you’ve found a partner?”

I blush at those words and curse myself in my head. Of course such a question would follow my words! “Well… kind of… It’s more of a feeling that the person is there somewhere. I’m sorry to tell you, but there’s no one I could introduce to you right now,” I reply, hoping that will be enough of an explanation.

Jungsu isn’t content with my explanation and already starts to protest, but Hyukjae is faster, “So it’s like the feeling you have with all of us? That you know there’s someone out there but you can’t tell us who it is until you’ve met that person?”

I nod, grateful towards him for saving me even though this might not be entirely true, I don’t know yet. “Yes, that’s what I mean,” I say nevertheless to hopefully close that topic again. I still have a lot of questions about that myself and there are so little answers so far…

 

On Wednesday evening, I get comfortable on my sofa. I have a folder with work lying next to me to take a look at when advertisements come on and a cup of tea is cooling down on the living room table in front of me while another can with tea stands beside it. I turn on the TV, hoping to find something out by watching the show that comes on where Jungsu works as an MC.

Tonight, he’s hosting the show with one male soloist that I think I remember from former episodes as well and a rookie boy band that I’ve never heard of before. Have they already had their debut? I have no idea.

I watch intently while Jungsu introduces himself – for some reason he’s gotten the stage name Leeteuk which I think is cute but also kind of unnecessary – then his co-MC introduces herself, then they give some information about the show before they briefly introduce the soloist – ah right, his name is Kyuhyun – and the boyband.

From the way this Kyuhyun guy jokes with the two MCs, I can tell that he’s become more or less a regular on this show, but I also notice that Jungsu is kind of stiff and that there are a little too many jokes going against him for my liking. I frown as I observe this, wondering if that is why Hyukjae said earlier that Jungsu seems to not be himself lately either.

The show goes on to some games and this is the boy group’s turn to shine while Kyuhyun struggles a little more to keep up with their high level of energy even though two of the group’s members are on one team with him to form equal teams. Even through the TV I can tell that Jungsu relaxes a little and I can’t help but wonder whether that is because announcing a game and what’s going on in it is comparably easy or because this Kyuhyun guy can’t speak up against him like this, but I have a dawning feeling that it’s the latter.

 

The weeks pass slowly and as I pay more attention to Jungsu now, I can see that he’s drained and that his always bright smile is only meant to cheer us up and keep us from worrying – it has the opposite effect on me. I try to keep up an equally positive attitude, but I know that Jungsu at least senses that I know something’s up with him.

Accordingly, I’m not too surprised when I get a text message from him one Friday evening asking me if he can come over. Half an hour later, we sit together in my living room, both of us with a bowl of ice cream despite the late hour.

“Alright, tell me,” I encourage him before I put the first spoon full of ice cream in my mouth, watching him expectantly. It only happens rarely that he asks me to consult him, so my ambitions to help him with this matter are high.

“You said you watch all my shows, right?” he asks in return between two spoon fulls of ice cream and I nod in response. “Then you’ve probably also seen Kyuhyun, haven’t you?” I nod again, not surprised anymore at all that this is the way the conversation is going. Over the past three weeks I’ve been able to gather enough evidence to know that my theory is right. “He’s such a stupid little bastard, such a spoiled brat! He may look harmless on TV because he has a reputation to lose, but let me tell you about how different he is once the camera is off!” He takes a frustrated spoon full of ice cream, then he continues. “You know, if he at least treated all of us the same way, it wouldn’t bother me so much! But no, this guy has picked me because I’m new to this business and he thinks I won’t survive anyway because I’m ‘too soft’ and because I haven’t grown up in it. As if he had any idea about what this is like!” He huffs and eats some more ice cream. “We both know how much of a flirt Hyukjae used to be, but I swear that even in his worst times he’s never been that bad! He keeps on calling me names once the camera is off, he makes fun of me, he calls me too stiff and tells me to loosen up and the next moment he’ll hit my and go off laughing. Can you imagine how nasty this kid is? I need more ice cream!”

I laugh at the sudden change of topic and do as he requests, then I sit down again and hand him his bowl back, picking mine up again as well to continue eating a lot more slowly than he does.

“And he keeps on making fun of me for always wearing light clothes. It’s not my fault that I like white and I am happy that the stylists usually respect that! He has absolutely no respect for people who are older than him, he should speak formally with me and yet he uses impolite language with me all the time when we’re not filming! His manager only shrugs his shoulders and tells me to let him do as he pleases because that’s just the way he is, can you believe that? They don’t even try to teach him manners! And something like that claims to be an idol!”

I put my now empty bowl on the living room table and instead put one arm on the backrest, leaning against the backrest with my side while I watch Jungsu. “And what happened now to make you come to me?” I ask, knowing him well enough to know that all of this is upsetting and the reason why he’s been stiff lately, but something else must have happened to make things escalate enough for him to come to me.

Jungsu suddenly stops eating and only plays around with the last bit of ice cream left in his bowl. “I overheard him chat with another soloist today whom he’s quite close to. He said I’m nothing but a simple game for him, that there’s absolutely no more than just plain fun for him about all of this and that he thinks it’s funny, then he laughed it off and asked what they’d eat for dinner tonight.”

I watch Jungsu for a while, taking in his lost appearance and the way he seems to fight something he might not even be aware is there and in that moment, I know what’s going on. A sad smile appears on my lips and I wait until Jungsu also finishes his ice cream, puts the bowl on the table, and then looks at me. “But it’s more to you,” I say then, looking straight into his eyes to make sure that he won’t lie to me.

Jungsu stares at me for a couple of seconds, then he looks down and leans against the backrest with his side as well. “I think so,” he admits quietly and pauses before he adds, “I guess I thought I was… different because he only really does that with me.” He laughs shortly and bitterly. “I’m such a fool.”

I move closer and pull him into a hug and Jungsu simply lets me do it, leaning against me, but he doesn’t hug me back. “Do you want me to come along the next time you have to film with him?”

“I don’t think you’d be allowed to enter.”

I shrug. “But it would be worth a try, wouldn’t it?”

Jungsu sighs. “Why would you bother to come along?”

“Because I’d be a terrible friend if I let that kid treat you so disrespectfully that you suffer,” I reason and finally feel him wrap his arms around me as well.

“Thank you, Heechul. I’ll see what I can do.”

“That sounds great to me.” I smile to myself and continue to hold Jungsu until he sits up and then we decide to watch a movie and also eat some chips before we go to bed. Luckily, he’s about the same size as me, so he can even sleep over when it hadn’t been planned like that.

 

A little over a month passes and all we find out is that, despite the management not being particularly happy with it, Jungsu is allowed to take me along once when he’s supposed to film again with Kyuhyun. When the day comes, I call in sick at work and get a sick note from the doctor, then I take the subway to the station Jungsu told me to go to. He’s already waiting for me by the exit and we go up together and to the building the show will be filmed in.

Once we enter, I look around in awe because I’ve never seen a studio like this from the inside and it’s really amazing to me that Jungsu can easily find his way through all these hallways and then we’re in a changing room where a young woman immediately begins to tend to Jungsu. Once he’s done – I think he looks strange with all the make up on, but I know it will look more natural than this later on TV – we just sit and wait and chat a little.

“Can you believe noona is really dating? I don’t think I’m ready for this,” Jungsu finishes his current story of his sister having found herself a boyfriend and I chuckle softly, trying to imagine my own sister dating and realizing I’d probably feel just as desperate as Jungsu does.

“If Heejin-noona won’t tell me the moment someone asks her out on a date, I’ll rethink cutting ties with this family again.”

Jungsu laughs. “I don’t think it’ll be that easy.”

“Why not? If it’s not the right guy for her…” I shrug lightly, still hoping that my sister will listen to me in case I’ll have to give her relationship tips.

“Maybe she’d just like to decide on her own whom she’d like to date? You know, not everyone would like someone else to influence their love life. Except from Hyukjae, of course, that kid-“

“What’s all this talk about dating, my love?” someone interrupts Jungsu obviously without caring about it and I look up in annoyance. The moment my eyes land on Kyuhyun, I freeze in place when I see something I hadn’t particularly wanted to see.

“Oh ,” I curse under my breath, but of course the other two hear it.

Kyuhyun clicks his tongue and turns to Jungsu again. “Seriously, you take another plain guy here and even let him use that kind of language? Maybe I should tell my manager to change plans when there are two such simple people here.” He shrugs and walks away in an obvious motion that he doesn’t care about the answer, but instead of getting mad at him over the insult, I can’t do anything but stare at the golden thread that connects him to Jungsu and that slowly becomes longer as he walks further towards the set to talk to someone else. This is bad!

I spend the time that they are filming trying to figure out what I can possibly do to help Jungsu despite the thread, but exactly because of the thread it’s incredibly difficult for me. More than once do I catch myself considering to punch Kyuhyun in the face for his comments towards my best friend, but I know I’ll have to simply find pleasure and revenge in the thought of doing it because they’d kick me out otherwise. During the breaks, I do my best to protect Jungsu from this kid who is still way too impolite for me to be comfortable with it, but I can tell that he distances himself a little once I start biting back at him and one look alone at Jungsu’s face already tells me how grateful he is to at least be able to relax a little today though so far I’m pretty sure Kyuhyun will make him pay for it eventually.

It’s only towards the end of the filming that a plan slowly begins to form in my mind about how I can change the situation for the better and I really hope that the plan will work out.

When they’re done filming, I disappear off into the hallway where the changing rooms are, I have already learned which ones will be unoccupied. Jungsu is the first to walk into the hallway, obviously surprised to find me there, but I just shake my head lightly. Kyuhyun and that other idol who was in the show today are next.

The moment I’m close enough to them, I grab Kyuhyun’s wrist and pull him along, ignoring his protest as I roughly push him into the nearest changing room, turn the light on, close the door, and lock it. Then I turn around, allowing my anger to show towards the singer who responds with an equal glare.

“Cho Kyuhyun. That’s your name, isn’t it?”

“And what’s yours?” he bites back, but I shake my head.

“That’s not important right now. What is important, however, is the way you’re treating my best friend.”

Kyuhyun huffs. “What about it? Is he gonna cry because of a bit of teasing?” he asks and raises an eyebrow at me, clearly pissed because of my actions, yet I can’t help but let out a bitter laugh.

“If that’s what you call ‘a bit’ I’m afraid you got the wrong definition of that. You completely disrespect him, you call him names he’s not comfortable with, you touch him in ways he’s not comfortable with, you talk him down during every show the two of you are in together, you’re not even using proper language towards him. I get it that he’s new in this business, but you’re five years younger than us. Act your age and not like some spoiled brat kindergarten kid that hasn’t been brought up properly.”

“Yah!” he protests and this time I can see anger flare up inside him. “Don’t you dare and talk bad about my parents!”

“I don’t, I’m speaking bad of you, learn the difference!”

I hear brisk knocking on the door behind followed by a firm male voice. “Open up! This is the security speaking! If you don’t open the door, we’ll enter forcefully.”

I quickly glance over my shoulder and then back to Kyuhyun before stepping closer to the kid who doesn’t even have the decency to move, causing us to almost touch just standing. “Now listen closely because I’ll only say it once and right now I hate myself for having to say it this way: Watch out what you’re doing. You’re hurting my best friend and I have a feeling that’s not what you want. If this is just a game for you, make it a game that’s worth playing for everyone and not on one person’s cost, you hear me?”

I glare at him once more, then I turn around, but before I can reach the door, Kyuhyun speaks up, sounding confused this time. “You’re not telling me to stay away?”

I turn to face him while unlocking the door. “Believe me, I’d love to.” But I can’t, there’s no way I’d tell them to stay apart when fate wants them to be together. I open the door to see two people in security uniforms standing in front of it, one with his hand raised to knock again, the woman standing a bit further behind him. Still behind them, I can see the others from the show, the idol, MC, and staff all looking a little scared and maybe even a bit excited because something unusual is happening, and then there’s Jungsu who stares at me as if I’ve gone insane. I look him in the eyes for a moment, wishing I could explain it to him, wishing he wouldn’t have to look at me in shock and confusion and even some disappointment, wishing I could tell him without having to be afraid to lose him or that he’d tell anyone else who might eventually use this against me, wishing I wasn’t too afraid to tell my closest friends about who I really am, then I turn away.

The security man immediately grabs my arm and pulls me towards what is probably the direction of the exit, speaking to me, but I don’t listen, replaying my conversation with Kyuhyun in my head and already realizing I could have done better. Did he get my message? Will he understand that I just want him to start being more polite towards Jungsu and even to give love between them a chance, to flirt for real and start asking for consent?

I promise the security guard to stay away from the building and from Kyuhyun – hopefully I won’t have to keep that second part of my promise! – then I’m finally allowed to leave. I look around for orientation before I make my way towards the subway station.

 

A little over one hour later, my doorbell rings. I sigh, already knowing who it will be, and indeed, one minute after I pushed the buzzer to open the door to the apartment complex, Jungsu storms through the door I’m holding open for him.

“What the hell were you thinking!?” he yells at me even before I can close the door. “Heechul, for God’s sake, I’ve taken you to work to solve things and help me and not to make everything even worse! I got a lecture of almost half an hour by Kyuhyun’s manager, can you believe that! What the hell has gotten into you!?”

I sigh and shake my head. “As long as that kid will change his way of treating you, I don’t care.”

Jungsu stares at me in absolute disbelief for a couple of seconds. “Are you insane!?” he yells then and I just look down because it indeed feels that way sometimes. “Did you not hear what I just said? They could turn to the public now, then my dream will be over and it has only just started! They might even sue us for what happened!”

“Jungsu, calm down,” I try, but of course it has the absolute contrary effect.

“I WILL NOT CALM DOWN! Have you thought even once about what you were doing? Have you thought even once about the consequences!?”

“Yes, God damn it, I have!” I yell back and glare at Jungsu, forcing myself to take a deep breath before I continue in a comparably level tone, “I have thought about this since I first noticed how this kid is treating you. I am sorry for how I talked to him, but you know, if it means that things will become better soon, I don’t give a about it. I’m not proud of how I did it, but I didn’t have a lot of time and I hope that in the end that time will have been used in the best way possible, but only time will show, I guess. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to do it in a way that you would have liked, but that kid is probably already at his next appointment, did you expect me to just go up to him and kindly ask him if he has a minute or two to chat with me?” When I notice I’m raising my voice, I stop talking, not wanting to yell at Jungsu. Truth be told, I don’t even want to have to defend myself in this matter and if I had had more time or more chances to talk to Kyuhyun, then I would have definitely done it differently, but I can’t be sure I would have had either one of those, so I still can’t really think of a better solution of how I should have done this. And maybe, just maybe, it even helped convey the message I tried to get through.

“If there’s nothing else you want to tell me, go home, Jungsu. I’m not in the mood to talk about this right now,” I say when seconds pass by during which we just stare at each other.

Jungsu looks at me like there’s a lot he’d still like to tell me, like he’s not done at all, and at the same time he looks almost shocked because I don’t apologize properly. In the end, he just shakes his head. “I honestly don’t understand you. If this will have consequences, I’ll make you pay for them.”

“I can live with that,” I reply and open the door again for him to leave. Our eyes meet once more and I can see clearly that I’ve disappointed Jungsu, that he thinks everything’s over now, and it’s almost too much for me to bear, but I hold his gaze until it’s him who looks away and leaves without another word. After closing the door, I lean my forehead against it.

Now all I can do is hope…

 

It takes almost three weeks until Jungsu is on speaking terms with me again, so I know I’ve really ed up. But at least things do seem to get better with Kyuhyun. I can’t tell for sure because Jungsu hasn’t been on another show with Kyuhyun since that incident, but he also hasn’t mentioned any further problems and he still appears on TV, so at least things haven’t turned out as bad as he thought in the beginning.

Things slowly become normal again for all of us, but I keep on watching Jungsu’s thread, hoping to see something but always getting a little disappointed when it stays normal until a little over half a year after I’ve talked to Kyuhyun. My mood is immediately brightened once I see the soft glimmer of a slowly rising love and I’m more relaxed because I know that they finally get everything together. I look at my own thread again, a mat golden that has nevertheless given me strength for the past months.

 

Nine months have passed since my talk with Kyuhyun when Jungsu speaks up about it in front of all of us for the first time and it’s obvious how embarrassed and nervous he is about it.

“Guys, there’s something I should tell you,” he starts one Monday during a comparably big circle of ours because not only Sungmin but also Yunho has managed to join us this time.

“What is it?” Yunho asks immediately and looks at him curiously just like the rest of us does even though I’m already certain I know what Jungsu will respond.

“Well… I have a boyfriend now.”

“Oh, we already know about that,” Hyukjae replies and when I glance over, Donghae nods. Sungmin and Yunho on the other hand look at them in confusion.

“We do?” Sungmin asks and Hyukjae nods.

“You two may not because you’re not around a lot, but our sunshine here has gotten even brighter lately,” he replies and gestures into Jungsu’s direction, making me smile. Of course those two would also notice.

“And he was absent-minded a lot and wearing that dreamy smile of his,” Donghae adds and when I look back at Jungsu, I see a bright blush covering his cheeks.

“I don’t do that!” he defends himself immediately.

“Oh yes, you do,” Hyukjae agrees with his boyfriend and nods.

Sungmin shakes his head lightly and looks at Jungsu again with that cute curious expression. “Tell us about him.”

Jungsu glances at me uncertainly, but I simply flash him a warm smile, wanting him to know that everything’s okay and that he doesn’t have to be afraid to tell us. “It’s… It’s Kyuhyun. Cho Kyuhyun.”

The other three around don’t seem to get it right away but Yunho does. “That singer Cho Kyuhyun?” he asks in surprise and I can see he’s not sure if he heard correctly.

Jungsu nods and looks down. “You know… He’s not that bad. He’s a tease, that much is for sure, but… he’s not bad. I actually really like spending time with him. And… he’d like to get to know you guys.” He looks up and I see how insecure he feels about this, but I am absolutely happy and content with how things are going.

“Sure,” Yunho replies immediately and I know he’ll try to come on that day.

“Do you already know when he has time to join us?” Sungmin asks further.

“He mentioned having time next week,” Jungsu answers and Sungmin nods in response.

“Alright, I’ll make sure to come!”

“I’ll check with Jaejoong to see if he can come as well,” Yunho adds and grins. “I know he wouldn’t want to miss out on something as important as this!”

“But there’s one condition,” Jungsu now hurries to say and sits straight again. “Because of Kyuhyun’s job, we can’t mention anything about us being together. So far, he’s only confided in his personal bodyguard because we’ll need his help to make meeting up possible at all, but no one else is allowed to know.”

“I bet you his fangirls will have the first blogs and fanfictions written by the end of next Monday!” Donghae replies and laughs and we all can’t help but agree. Seeing how celebrity news always spread like a wild-fire, it probably won’t take long for the first fans to guess the relationship between Jungsu and Kyuhyun more or less correctly. It’ll be a tough route, but I hope they will be able to bear it. Their thread says they should, but I can only hope they really will!

Jungsu gets up. “Then I’ll talk to the employees here to see if it’ll be alright for them or if we’ll have to find another meeting place.”

“I hope it’ll work out here,” Hyukjae replies and the rest of us nods; meeting at any other place wouldn’t be the same!

 

When I arrive a week later, dividers are creating an artificially elongated line on the almost too narrow sidewalk and the curtains to my favorite café have been drawn close. The first fangirls are already standing outside and I’m sure there are also a bunch of them inside – how do fangirls always know where to find their idols? Kyuhyun didn’t post about this anywhere, did he? Then is it the necessary preparation that gave everything away? – but I walk right past them and through the door. I stop briefly to read the sign that has been hung up, apologizing for the difficult circumstances today. A second sign has been put up beneath the first one and is, unlike the first one, handwritten and decorated with small, matching symbols. It reads:

Please leave your phones in your bags and talk to each other. It’s a lot more interesting than staring at a screen, I promise! – Kim Ryeo Wook

I can’t help but smile at that note and I hope that at least the majority of today’s customers will follow Ryeowook’s wish and give us privacy despite the famous singer who will join us today.

I enter the café, ignoring the protest of some of the fangirls, simply nodding towards one of the employees who has apparently been called to work to manage the guests waiting outside today. Inside, I check to find Donghae, who already texted me earlier that he’d skip one of his classes to reserve a good spot for us, sitting at a table that should be big enough for all of us, but since he’s currently on his phone, I go straight to the counter, ordering my usual coffee and apple cake and Ryeowook, being the cutest waiter I know, adds a bit of whipped cream on top of it with a wink. “I didn’t look at it cutely, so you won’t gain weight,” he adds with a grin and lets me pay the usual price despite the little extra, making me wonder if he knows I once again played into fate’s hands and am one of the reasons for this meeting.

I go to the table and see Hyukjae and Sungmin enter together, apparently they met somewhere on the way to the café. Both of them wave at me and I simply nod in response, then I reach the table that Donghae picked wisely – one side is limited by a wall, another by the window that is currently hidden behind the curtain. We can easily see the entire café but it’s still a comparably private spot.

“Good choice!” I comment and put my coffee and my cake on the table, then I sit down next to Donghae and put my bag on the floor.

Hyukjae’s boyfriend jumps and looks up from his phone, making me laugh. “Ah, thanks...”

“You’re a strange kid: first you get us such a great spot and then you won’t even guard it properly.”

“I’m sorry! I was just texting with my mom…”

“And before that probably with Hyukkie and with your brother, you texted us to inform us that we didn’t have to wait in line…”

Donghae looks down in embarrassment when he realizes I know him too well by now and know exactly that he hasn’t been paying attention at all. “Sorry…”

I reach out to gently ruffle his hair, making sure not to mess with it too much because I know he wouldn’t like that. “Don’t worry about it, everything worked out, after all.”

Donghae smiles at me again when he hears those words and I lean back, taking out my phone as well. Yunho texted me earlier to say that he’ll probably be running late because Jaejoong can only get off last minute, but I’m not surprised. Since that kid is running a bakery already at such a young age, I would also be busy all the time, but I’m really glad to know he’ll be able to join us at all because he almost never gets that chance! I really miss him, I have no idea how Yunho bears to barely see him. Then again, they live together, so they at least see each other at night, and on Sundays, the bakery closes early, also giving Yunho and Jaejoong a bit more time together.

Soon, Hyukjae and Sungmin also sit down with us and Donghae and I put our phones away. During the past months, Sungmin has become a lot more comfortable with Donghae and it makes me probably just as happy as him to know that they’re getting to know each other and getting along well.

Jungsu is the next to enter and I can still hear a girl recognize him, making me wonder if my best friend will also need a bodyguard soon and at the same time I’m incredibly happy because it means Jungsu is another step closer to the dream he’s always had. He looks around for a moment and I wave towards him. Once he’s seen me, he nods and goes to the counter as well.

“Guys, it’s crazy out there!” he greets us when he sits down, shaking his head lightly. “How did they know Kyuhyun will be here?”

“Maybe they’re here because of you,” I in response and wiggle my eyebrows, making Sungmin laugh.

“They’re fangirls,” Donghae reasons, though. “They know their idols’ schedules better than probably anyone else. I have no idea how they always get their information, but there’s absolutely nothing that can be kept a secret from them for too long.”

“You better get used to that,” Hyukjae adds with a grin. “And remember: we’ll keep you down to earth because you’re our favorite VIP and I wouldn’t want to be associated with a total snob!”

Donghae and I laugh in response, but Jungsu is way too nervous to laugh at Hyukjae’s joke while Sungmin muses, “Maybe I should have continued doing martial arts instead of going into design, then I could have become your personal bodyguard.”

“That would have been so cool!” Hyukjae immediately cheers. “Minnie, why don’t you do that now? It’s not too late for you, is it?”

Sungmin laughs. “Believe me, I’d love to, but-“

The screaming of fans outside the café interrupts him and we all look towards the door. Not much later, Kyuhyun enters, then the door is closed again and I think the bodyguard takes over in guarding the main entrance to the café to make sure the fans won’t just run in.

The soloist takes off his sunglasses and looks around for a moment, obviously clueless where to find us, then he spots us and walks over to us. People are watching him, but so far everyone is kind enough to remain in their seats and just contend themselves with staring and whispering. When he arrives at our table, Kyuhyun bows lightly towards us. “Annyeonghaseyo,” he greets us politely and he looks really shy and nervous, making me smile. We all bow our heads back from our sitting positions and greet him as well, then Jungsu motions towards the seat next to him.

“You can sit here, if you’d like,” he offers and Kyuhyun gratefully accepts that offer, putting his bag down first, and as he moves to sit down, Jungsu adds, “Won’t you get anything?”

The singer pauses in his tracks, then straightens again. “I think I will. What’s good here?”

My best friend smiles and gets up as well. “C’mon, I’ll show you,” he says and Kyuhyun hurries to grab his wallet, then they go to the counter.

While Sungmin, Hyukjae, and Donghae whisper excitedly, I watch the other two order, watch their shimmering thread, watch as Ryeowook looks up from the conversation he’s had with Yesung who was probably just as curious as my friends to get to know more about Kyuhyun, and then as Ryeowook takes the order, obviously excited to meet Kyuhyun even though I can tell he’s trying to behave normal. The moment Kyuhyun and Jungsu turn to come back to us, I can see the bright smile break through on Ryeowook’s face and he turns back to Yesung, talking quietly but excitedly.

I turn my attention back to Jungsu and Kyuhyun when they sit down and I see that Kyuhyun only took something to drink and no cake, making me wonder whether he’s just too nervous or if maybe his entertainment forces him to stick to a diet that he isn't allowed to break.

“Do you know when Yunho and Jaejoong will arrive?” Jungsu asks me when he’s seated again and I shake my head.

“No, Yunho only texted me that they’ll arrive late because Jaejoong can’t get off in time,” I reply and Hyukjae leans forward a little.

“Jaejoong-hyung will come?” he asks excitedly and when I nod, he beams. “Yes! I’m so glad I can see him again! He almost never gets out of his bakery, I don’t even know how he manages to leave it behind during the festival!”

I can’t help but laugh. “Me neither, but somehow he always does. I think he usually only opens the bakery during the mornings, doesn’t he?”

“Or maybe he leaves one of the others in charge?” Sungmin opts and we all nod.

“While we wait, should we start with introductions? I mean, Jaejoong already knows all of us, so I think we could start,” Donghae suggests and we all nod. Even though the other two haven’t seen each other often yet – actually I think they only met last year during the festival – he’s right that Jaejoong doesn’t need our introductions anymore.

I straighten and turn to Kyuhyun first. “To give you a proper introduction now: My name is Kim Heechul, namely Jungsu’s best friend, I work at a design company and I’m probably much nicer than you might remember me.”

“I wouldn’t count on that,” Hyukjae immediately interferes and I shoot him a death glare, making him laugh. “See, that’s what I mean!”

I roll my eyes, yet I can’t help but smile. “Silly!”

Hyukjae nods enthusiastically, then Donghae starts speaking. “My name is Lee Donghae – yes, like the east sea – and I’m studying marine biology, I’m about to finish my sixth semester.” He sighs softly and Hyukjae gently puts a hand on his thigh in silent support before he continues.

“I’m Lee Hyukjae and I’m really just working a normal office job, nothing to brag about, nothing exciting.”

“I’m Lee Sungmin and I work at the same company as Heechul, but we’re employed in different departments.”

“And he’s known for his aegyo,” Hyukjae adds with a grin. “You’ll see what I mean, Sungminnie-hyung is probably the cutest man alive.”

Instead of protesting like he usually does, Sungmin flashes our friend a cute smile. “Thank you~” he replies and Hyukjae claps his hands in excitement.

“This is what I’m talking about! You’re so cute!”

This time, Sungmin puffs out his cheeks and glares at Hyukjae – he’s still incredibly cute while doing so, if you ask me. “I’m not cute, I’m manly!” he protests like he usually does.

“Then a rare example of the cute manly human species?” Donghae opts and acts like he’s thinking hard about that question, making all of us laugh.

“No, not cute at all!”

My phone buzzes and I glance down to see that Yunho texted me, asking me to let him and Jaejoong in. I smile and get up from the table to go to the front door, opening it carefully. The bodyguard indeed blocks the way, but he turns around when he notices the door opening. I bow to him politely before I speak up, “Excuse me, those two belong to us. Could you please let them in?” I nod towards Jaejoong and Yunho who stand on the other side of the bulky man.

“Heechul!” Yunho exclaims in delight.

“These two?” Kyuhyun’s bodyguard asks and when I nod, he lets them pass.

I barely get time to close the door, then Jaejoong hugs me tightly. “Hyuuuung~! I haven’t seen you in ages! Why are you never stopping by my bakery anymore? I miss you!”

I can’t help but laugh and hug Jaejoong back. “Well, you’re never stopping by here either.”

“That’s because I’m busy.”

“Really? You were able to make time today, though,” I point out, acting like I’m hurt, and Jaejoong pouts in response, obviously buying it.

“I’m sorry… Things have been a little stressful these past two years…”

“Not to say: very stressful,” Yunho adds from behind him and Jaejoong lets go at the reminder that his boyfriend is still here with us.

I shake my head lightly, not wanting an argument to start, so I change the topic. “Why don’t you order and then we can finish introductions?”

Jaejoong looks a little torn at those words. “I don’t know…” He pouts again and looks back and forth between Yunho, the counter, and me. “My cakes are probably better…”

“I’ll treat you?” Yunho offers and his boyfriend beams immediately.

“Alright!”

I can’t help but laugh at that, seeing how quickly Jaejoong’s mind was apparently changed because of such a simple phrase. We go to the counter together and I wait until the other two have ordered and received their order, then I lead them back to the table.

Both Sungmin and Hyukjae get up, only leaving Jaejoong enough time to put down his caramel macchiato and his piece of cake before they hug him from both sides while Yunho and I sit down, watching the scene with amusement.

“Yah, you guys are suffocating me!” Jaejoong protests once he can stop laughing.

Sungmin grins. “If that means you’ll stay with us or simply show up more often, I think that’s totally fine!”

“I agree.”

“Yun, do something! They plan to kill me!”

Yunho simply shrugs. “I’d react the same way if I were to not see you for so long.”

Jaejoong huffs because that was obviously not the answer he had wanted to receive, then he wriggles himself out of the hug and the three of them eventually sit down. “Where were you guys with introductions?” he asks.

“You’re next, actually,” Hyukjae replies.

“How much did you guys go into detail?”

“Just the basics.”

Jaejoong nods and turns towards Kyuhyun as well, bowing to him lightly. “Hello, my name is Kim Jaejoong and I own a bakery where I also work as a chef.”

Yunho bows his head towards Kyuhyun next. “Hi, I’m Jung Yunho and I lead a gym downtown.”

“He’s also really involved in charity,” Sungmin adds and Yunho nods.

Kyuhyun nods as well and looks at all of us once, probably trying to recall all of our names. He stops at Hyukjae, asking for his name again – confirming my assumption – then he finishes his round and nods again. “I’m Cho Kyuhyun and I am a singer.”

“How did you two meet?” Jaejoong asks curiously, showing once more that he somehow didn’t get any information at all from the world outside his bakery.

When Kyuhyun looks at Jungsu, my best friend explains, “We met during the show where I’m currently working as an MC.”

For a moment, Jaejoong looks like he’s about to also ask about that, but then he blushes and looks down. “Ah, I see. That’s cool.”

I can’t help but laugh softly and pick up the cup with the cooled down coffee, more or less giving the starting shot for everyone to begin eating and drinking as well.

 

Even though Jaejoong almost openly talks about Kyuhyun and Jungsu’s relationship at some point and we all realize no one told him he’s not allowed to talk about that, the afternoon continues in a really relaxed manner. A few fans come to us to ask both Kyuhyun and Jungsu for autographs, but when it gets too much, Ryeowook steps in and kindly asks them to treat both Kyuhyun and Jungsu just like any other customer and to give them privacy while they’re here and even though I can tell the fans are embarrassed, they don’t seem to be offended by it.

 

As we all meet more often, Kyuhyun also begins to slowly relax around me, so I guess he understands that I just wanted to protect Jungsu during our first meeting and that I don’t actually mind him, a fact I’m really happy about because I can see Jungsu also relaxes more with each time we meet.

But to me, the most beautiful part of this and my highlight of every week is watching Leeteuk’s thread sparkle a little brighter, still with the soft flicker of a first love, but it’s there and I know I was able to help him find the love of his life before all of the teasing could have become too much for him to take.

And whenever my eyes go down to my own wrist, a smile appears on my lips. I’ll meet you, my beautiful stranger. Someday, we’ll be together.

I promise.

I won’t let you slip through my fingers a second time.

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, here's the next couple. I hope you guys enjoyed reading the chapter!

Please comment and subscribe, both of them will make me incredibly happy!

I don't know how quickly I can update again because university is keeping me quite busy at the moment, but I hope I'll nevertheless get around to writing more soon!

I love you all!