Chapter 4

When You Love Someone

When Wonpil woke up in the morning his head felt like it will burst open from all the pain. The boy groaned as he rolled out of bed and headed towards the kitchen. He needed some caffeine and maybe something to eat. Also a painkiller. Yeah, he definitely needed the latter.

His little plan was ruined when he was met with Sungjin as the elder stood by the stove and suddenly all of his memories came back from last night. It didn’t matter how hangover he was he remembered every word he said into the phone. If his stupid drunk called the right person he wouldn’t have to deal with the embarrassment now.

Wonpil tried to back out of the kitchen before Sungjin saw him but the elder chose that exact moment to turn around.

“Oh you’re awake.” The elder smiled at him which caught Wonpil off guard. The boy expected some disgusted stare or awkward silence at most but the kind expression was absolutely unexpected.

“Yeah… Good morning hyung.” Wonpil murmured sheepishly.

“I’m making pancakes do you want some?” Sungjin asked and pointed at the pan in front of him.

“Sure I’ll just drink some coffee first.” He replied and while he poured some of the dark liquid into his mug he tried to analyse the atmosphere. The elder didn’t seem irritated or bothered at the slightest while Wonpil was oozing dread. He had no idea how to deal with his seemingly accepting hyung. If the elder were furious Wonpil would be begging for forgiveness, blaming the alcohol and maybe even move out of the dorm.

Maybe all of this was only a facade and deep down Sungjin was indeed angry or disgusted but he didn’t want to show in front of his childhood friend. Maybe he wanted to pretend nothing had happened so they can remain as friends. That would probably be the best for both of them.

“Had fun last night?” Sungjin asked as he set down two plates full of pancakes on the dining table. The question made Wonpil choke on his coffee and in the next moment he was coughing loudly.

“What do you mean?” He croaked after he got the liquid out of his windpipe.

“You know how much of a lightweight you are but you drank two cans of beer and a bottle of soju alone. Why did you do it, Wonpilie?” The elder smiled at him gently but it made the younger boy’s blood boil.

Was Sungjin playing pranks on him? He literally confessed to the elder through the phone and now he’s asking why he got drunk? Was he trying to embarrass him further?

“Are you kidding me? Do you want me to make an even bigger fool out of myself? You’ve listened to my drunk confession and haven’t even bothered to interrupt me and now you’re asking me to repeat all of that? You are the reason I wanted to get drunk because I love you so damn much but you will never love me back!” Wonpil rambled angrily but then Sungjin leaned over the table and kissed him on the lips.

It would be an understatement to say Wonpil was surprised. The boy could only blink confusedly as the other’s soft lips caressed his unmoving ones. It was sudden and unpredictable but also perfect. Wonpil never wanted the moment to end but the elder pulled away mere seconds later.

“I just wanted to hear it when we are facing each other.” Sungjin grinned as he sat back.

Wonpil’s face was redder than the strawberries on the pancakes and his thoughts were a big jumbled mess. His lips tingled as he blinked at the elder still taken aback.

“W-why...” He stuttered and Sungjin let out a soft giggle.

“Isn’t it obvious? I love you too, dummy.”

If Wonpil let out a squeal after hearing this no one has to know.

* * *

Since Inyoung saw Younghyun at the convenience store he was all she could think of. The boy was like the man of her dreams even if she hasn’t spoken to him at all. Younghyun just seemed the type who would listen to his girlfriend well and treat her like a princess. Inyoung needed someone like him.

She did her research on him so she knew he was also attending Yonsei and he was only a year younger than her. He worked usually at night shifts at the convenience store so she visited him often in the past few days. She always tried to strike up a conversation with him but the boy seemed really off lately. Inyoung started to worry that maybe she was coming onto him too hard.

“Have you been to the convenience store this week?” She asked Jae when the boy was hanging out in her dorm again.

“I’m living on instant ramyun and energy drinks since the semester started. Of course I went there.” The boy looked at her from the floor where he was splayed out with his textbooks. “Why?”

“I was just asking… The cute cashier seemed a bit weird when I last went there.”

“Yeah I think so too.” Jae hummed absent-mindedly.

“So it’s not just me.” She sighed.

“What do you want from him exactly?” The boy asked and abandoned his books in favour of sitting down next to her on the sofa.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m head over heels for him.” Inyoung blinked at him with big doe eyes. Jae had to admit she was kind of adorable but the jealousy he felt upon hearing those words made him grimace.

“You don’t even know him, how can you be in love already?”

“I just have this feeling you know? I think he might be the one.” She said with sparkling eyes.

“Do you really believe in this?” He frowned.

“I do because it’s happening to me right now. That’s why I’m gonna ask him out tomorrow! I’ll wait for him after his shift then I’m going to confess to him.” Inyoung clapped excitedly.

The anger and jealousy that took over Jae contorted his face but the boy tried his best not to say anything. Inyoung was one of his best friends so liking the same guy shouldn’t ruin things between them. Maybe if he was honest with her the first time she set eyes on Younghyun the whole thing would be less complicated. Inyoung would have let Jae have him. Preferably.

“I… That’s great. But I’ve just realized I left the stove on at the dorm so I have to go. Yeah… See ya later.” Jae scrambled off the couch and sprinted out of the dorm with his books and notes in his hands.

Inyoung could only stare after the boy but no matter how hard she tried she couldn’t understand her friend’s reaction.

* * *

Being a business management student meant a really ed up sleeping schedule for Dowoon who tried to ace all of his exams. This may or may not be because of the constant nagging from his parents and the threats to cut off his allowance.

His timetable was packed with lectures from 8am to 6pm with only ten or fifteen minutes breaks between them making his life a living hell. He had little to no time to eat something. Also he had to stay up late to study for the upcoming exams.

Dowoon was only a freshman but he wanted to give up already. With this crazy schedule he couldn’t even apply for music minor despite it being the only thing he wanted to study. If he had a say in anything he would have been a music major but of course he couldn’t bring it up in front of his parents. His business oriented father would have been furious. Maybe he would even hit him just like he used to do before Dowoon learned to shut his mouth and do as he was told without any complaint.

Friday mornings were always the busiest for the boy but today he was awoken by a message about the cancellation of his 8am lecture. His next one began at ten so he could have slept some more but he decided to use this opportunity to finally have a proper breakfast.

There were many cosy cafes around campus so after he got dressed he headed towards the closest one. The chilly morning weather made him shiver and he instantly regretted not putting on a scarf before going out.

Luckily for him the cafe was almost empty at seven in the morning. Only a few caffeine-starved student littered the place hunching over their mugs. Half of them were still half or completely asleep. Nothing unusual at uni.

After getting his espresso and sandwich, the boy found himself a nice table in the corner. From there he was able to observe the others but they couldn’t see him well. It was a perfect spot to observe the girl at the counter. Don’t misunderstand him, he wasn’t a stalker he simply liked looking at pretty things and the girl was absolutely attractive even in jumpers and with her raven hair tied up in a messy bun. Today wasn’t his first time seeing her, Dowoon may or may not had been crushing on her since the first day. Of course he was too afraid to actually do something like strike up a conversation with her but could you blame him? The girl looked like a goddess. Also she was older than him. Dowoon was one hundred percent sure the girl wasn’t interested in younger boys. This however hasn’t stopped him from doing some research on her. It took him a while but he found out her name was Nam Inyoung and she was an English major with a music minor. She was totally his ideal type so him being unable to man up and confess to her took a toll on his pride. He was really popular in middle school; he got love letters and confessions on a daily basis so he never had to ask someone out before. The girl he liked would usually just come up to him and he just had to say yes. Dowoon didn’t like being the one who should do the asking out part. He had to come out of his comfort zone and Yoon Dowoon didn’t like being vulnerable.

He left the cafe in a bitter mood and it only worsened as he had to attend classes. He hated the people who were surrounding him. They were all faking friendliness after the word got out of him being a rich heir of Yoon Corporation. Dowoon was practically disgusted seeing them try to kiss up to him in various ways. He even got some not so innocent offers from girls and boys too. Needless to say he declined all of them.

Lectures seemed even more boring that day making Dowoon grumpier than usual. He snapped at anyone who as much as looked at him, living up to his name as the scariest freshman on campus. Dowoon was quite content with this nickname.

It was dark already when the boy finished with his last class for the day. He felt immensely tired and craved some instant ramyun and sausage so he took the longer way home to stop by the convenience store. He should drop by the library too to take a look at the book his professor recommended them. The upperclassmen mentioned at the orientation that Prof. Kang always asks from the selected bibliography on the exams.

He was only a few feet away from the convenience store when he spotted two very familiar figures. They were both standing at the entrance in a strong embrace just under the street lamp. From this distance he could see Inyoung’s face clearly and although he only saw the other person’s back he was sure it was Younghyun.