Chapter 1

When You Love Someone

Wonpil has always had a crush on unreachable people. First was Jisoo his babysitter when he was four. The little boy thought the beautiful girl was a princess from one of the Disney stories he loved so much with her long, brown hair and nice smile. Also she made the best sandwiches and it was all little Wonpil could have ever asked for.

Then there was Mijoo ssaem from high school who taught music. Wonpil was always a musical kid so having a pretty teacher with a gorgeous voice made him fall even deeper. He had learnt to play the piano just to impress her but Mijoo ssaem got married and left the school a year later.

Now it was Park Sungjin. His best friend who was a boy and who was so painfully straight. Also he was visibly pining after a girl who had just walked into the cafeteria with her stupidly beautiful raven hair in an elegant ponytail. Wonpil hated how she looked so ethereal but he hated more the jealousy he felt when he noticed Sungjin looking at her dreamily.

Wonpil and Sungjin were friends since elementary when the elder moved to Seoul from Busan with his family. The raven haired boy was a year older than Wonpil but still played with him after school and shared his lunch with him when the youngster's mum forgot his lunch box. Which happened way too often by the way.

It was understandable then why Wonpil has kind of clung onto Sungjin for ten years now. Still he tried to play it off as strong friendship and nothing more. Although when he looked at his friend obviously crushing on that upperclassman he couldn’t help but feel jealous. His mind was hazed with aggressive thoughts which was definitely foreign for Wonpil who had a reputation as the nicest sophomore of Yonsei University.

“Do you know her?” Wonpil asked when he had enough of his friend’s staring.

“Kind of. Her name is Inyoung and we have guitar class together on Mondays.” Sungjin finally tore his eyes away from the girl.

“I see.” The younger mumbled picking at his food with his chopsticks. While he was pretending that the egg rolls on his tray were the most interesting things in the world he missed the worried look Sungjin was giving him.

The elder was watching him for a while but then decided not to say anything and he too was focusing on his lunch instead. They ate in silence which was a rare thing because Wonpil usually chatted Sungjin’s ear off during lunch period. Since they had started university both of them were swamped in course work so they didn’t have many occasions to interact with each other. Although they shared a cramped dorm room (Wonpil whined at the administration office until they let them room together despite Wonpil being a year under Sungjin) they spent most of their times at classes or, as for Wonpil, he was busy with his part time job as well.

Still the jealousy formed a lump in the boy’s throat. He was afraid of saying something stupid in front of the elder which would lead to an argument. His chatty self suffered a lot but managed to go through lunch without a word being said.

“I’m going first I have a lesson in ten.” Wonpil stood up as soon as he choked the remains of his food down.

“Wonpil-ah…!” Sungjin tried to stop him but the younger briskly walked away. The raven haired boy stared at his leaving figure uncomprehendingly and decided to ask about it later at the dorm.

* * *

The rooftop was the most silent place at the whole university that’s why Dowoon preferred to have lunch up there. Despite being one of the most wealthy students at Yonsei University his lunch was surprisingly simple: some kimbap with banana milk. He often got side eyes because of it but the boy was way past the phase when these things interested him.

It was early autumn and the sun shined brightly on the cloudless sky. Dowoon rolled up his sweater’s sleeves and started to eat while the music blasted loudly from his headphones. Maybe that’s why he didn’t hear the opening door and the nearing footsteps.

When he noticed the other boy he was almost in front of him with a smile on his face. Dowoon eyed him for a good moment before taking off his headphones.

“What are you doing here?”

“Aren’t you happy you’re seeing me again Dowoon-ah?” The taller male smiled.

“On the contrary Younghyun hyung.” The younger answered with a displeased expression. This made Younghyun’s smile disappear for a moment then he forced it back.

“Ah, come on! You must have missed me!” He said in a teasing tone.

“I did at first. But that was seven years ago. I’m all grown up now.” He said and before the elder could have replied he put his headphones back on and continued eating.

Yonghyun was standing there for a while after but when he realized the younger wouldn’t pay him any more attention he silently left the rooftop.

* * *

Wonpil’s heart beat wildly as he rounded the corner and disappeared from Sungjin’s sight. His mind was a mess with at least a hundred different thoughts and while normally he would go to the elder with this kind of problem now it was all because of him. At this point he didn’t give a damn about his next lecture and headed straight to the dorms. If he couldn’t talk about things to his best friend he will turn to his second best choice.

Wonpil had Jinyoung’s timetable memorized so he knew exactly where to find him 24/7. Being Wednesday afternoon he was most likely in his room memorizing script for his drama class. At any other time Wonpil would feel bad for disturbing him but not today. He had an Emergency with a capital ‘E’.

As expected Jinyoung was in the dorm and he was indeed trying to memorize a script for class. Hence the annoyed expression when he saw Wonpil at his doorstep.

“What are you doing here?” He asked in a rather unfriendly way.

“Well, hello to you too.” Wonpil paid no attention to the unwelcoming boy and slipped inside the room easily.

“Not like you’re disturbing but that’s exactly what you’re doing right now.” Jinyoung grumbled but closed the door anyway.

“Sorry,” He said and managed to sound somewhat sheepish. “It’s kind of an emergency.”

“Why don’t you talk to Sungjin hyung about this emergency?”

“Because it’s about him.” Wonpil said which earned his friend’s attention. He dropped his script unceremoniously on his desk and ushered Wonpil to sit on his bed then sat down next to him.

“Tell me everything and don’t leave out any details!”

Wonpil was blinking confusedly at his friend’s newfound interest but then he started to speak.

“I don’t know how to put it but today when I saw Sungjin hyung looking at a girl I kind of felt weird? I don’t know really.” He mumbled embarrassed.

“Describe this weird feeling!”

“Well it was something akin to anger I guess. I wanted him to pay attention to me.” Wonpil chewed on his lower lip.

“Oh boy! I guess you’ve started to realize what everyone else knows around you.” The raven haired boy grinned.

“What are you talking about?” He blinked confusedly.

“Your obvious crush on Sungjin hyung. I knew it from the beginning! You always stared at him with so much adoration and now that he’s interested in a girl you are jealous!” Jinyoung said with a triumphant smile.

“What? That’s absurd,” The boy shook his head violently. “Hyung and I are just friends. Best friends at that.”

“Sure thing Wonpilie.” He sing songed. “Come back when you’re ready to face your feelings.”

With that Wonpil was forced out of the room and before he could have said anything his friend had already closed the door.

* * *

The semester had only began like two weeks ago but for Jae it felt like a year already. He had a lot of assignments piled up so free time was a foreign concept for the poor boy. He spent most of his time holed up in the library just like today.

After four hours the English words seemed like they were mocking him and if his friend wouldn’t have appeared next to him he might have started to argue with them. Maybe he needed some rest. And coffee. And real food. Yeah, that actually sounded appealing.

“I’m not used to seeing you taking things seriously.” The newcomer plopped down next to him.

“It’s good to see you too Inyoung.” Jae leaned back on the chair exhaustedly.

“I know I’m a delight,” She chuckled. “Wanna go out for some chicken and beer?”

“Call!” He responded without missing a beat then started to pack up his things.

The sun went down hours ago so the street lamps provided light for the two students who were heading to the convenience store laughing and bickering. Their voice bounced off of the surrounding buildings and they got some weird stares but they ignored it completely as they were immersed in a story about one of their professors.

The closest convenience store was located a few blocks away from the university library that’s why many students preferred it. Also it was open 24/7 and Jae just like anyone else liked to drop by when he was studying until late to eat some instant ramyeon and stack up on energy drinks.

Another pro for the boy was the cute cashier who usually worked at night shift. He was working today too and Jae didn’t miss to shoot him a lingering glance. He had never wore a name tag so Jae had to look into the guy a bit until he got to know more about him. His name was Kang Younghyun and he was a junior business management major at the same university as him.

His crush on the boy was so painfully obvious that he was surprised the cashier hasn’t found out by now. He had always tried to engage in a conversation with the younger and the occasional flirty remarks were a dead giveaway. Still Younghyun was checking his items like nothing had happened and it kinda made the elder feel bad. However he hasn’t rejected him either and that gave him a bit of hope.

The two had found their way to the beer easily, Inyoung was already grabbing a six-pack from the fridge. They put some snacks in the basket too before heading towards the cash register. Jae’s palm started to sweat at the sight of Younghyun but he put on a wide grin just for the show.

The younger greeted them politely before he started checking their items. Jae had already prepared the exact amount but Inyoung was faster. The boy turned to his friend to protest but when he saw her lovestruck expression as she was looking at Younghyun he couldn’t say a single word.