Childhood

The Fox and the Boy

In a big white room, a boy with fox ears and a tail sat in the middle of it all. Sitting on his bed with a black blanket and white sheets. Beside him was a drawer with all of the same clothes and a clock on top. Scattered on the floor were the latest gadgets for him to play with. But Eunki was not feeling like doing anything. He just sat and stared at the smooth walls. He knew, they were going to come soon.

 

Shifting his gaze to the door, he watched the circular window for any sign of movement. Suddenly a lady with a white lab coat came in

 

“Your turn Eunki.”

 

The boy got up and followed the woman. Going through the halls, he looked at the other doors and saw other children around his age. They were all sleeping. He decided to continue looking forward and follow the woman. The pair entered the last room of the hallway, and were met with more lab coats and machinery.

 

“Ah Eunki, my favorite cub. How are you doing?” A middle aged-man asked with a gummy smile

 

“I’m doing well Dr. Kang.” He replied with a small smile

 

“”Nothing hurts right?” A shorter man asked with a concerned look

 

“Don’t worry Dr. Yoon, the pain from last time subsided pretty quickly~” He hummed

 

“That’s good to hear~ Are you ready for this round?” Dr. Kang asked

 

“Depends what we’re gonna do for today” Eunki shrugged

 

“Just a couple of injections and tests actually hahaha” Dr. Yoon laughed

 

“Then I’m totally ready” The boy smirked

 

A few cries of pain could be heard from outside, but they quickly died down as soon as it started. Flashes of light could also be seen through the window, but nobody minded.

 

An hour past and Dr. Kang glanced at the unconscious child on the chair then to the other man in the room and flashed his gummy smile

 

“It’s working Jisung! Eunki and the other children are activating their transforming abilities! I bet with a few more doses of dna and practice, they would be easily shifting between forms!

 

Jisung smiled back “Hahaha, I think you’re right about that Daniel. I’m really glad we were able to have a breakthrough after how many years. Though I can’t say these kids don’t play a factor on why we succeeded. They’re so strong and willing to do this with us, I-I don’t want anything to happen to them..” He stared at the floor with tears dripping

 

“Don’t worry, we’ll make sure nothing happens to them right? We promised we would take care of them and keep them safe. We will never let them find these kids" the taller man said as he enveloped the shorter with a hug.

 

“Yeah~” Jisung smiled

 

The lady from before entered the room again “I’m sorry to interrupt, but is Eunki done with his tests?”

 

Daniel released the other from the embrace and carefully carried up the boy to her “Ah Siwon, don’t worry about it. Here’s Eunki, please be careful. He was kinda overexerted himself today.”

 

The woman smiled “I got him, don’t worry~” She took the sleeping child into her arms and went out the door, being careful not to hit him or shake him. She walked towards his room and gently tucked him in. “Have a nice rest Eunki, you deserve it.” she said as she smiled fondly at the boy. She quietly walked towards the door, closed the doors, and went out.