Minatozaki Sana - 29 December 1996 - Invisibility

sending you a signal

“Can we buy fried chicken for dinner?”

Jihyo looks up from the two jars of sauce in her hands at Chaeyoung’s question, who’s propped up against the shopping cart beside Sana. Sana doesn't look up from their grocery list, trying to make sense of Nayeon’s writing, the mix of languages it’s written in. Sana isn't even sure Nayeon noticed. Still, her lips quirk into a smirk, too faint for Chaeyoung to notice in the moment.

“Nayeon unnie is cooking dinner tonight, remember?” Sana says in an innocent tone, and she bites her lip to stop her laughter from bursting out at the way Chaeyoung stiffens beside her. She loves her girlfriend, Sana’s sure, but all three of them know that the kitchen was not Nayeon’s place of strength here on Earth.

Surprisingly, Jihyo is the one who breaks the charade, laughing as she places a jar of tomato sauce and cream sauce into the shopping cart. “Sana, how could you just lie to our Chaeyoung like that?”

“I was just teasing our baby,” Sana waves off the accusations, feeling Chaeyoung slump with relief before she sees it. She wraps her arms around Chaeyoung’s shoulders, pressing a few kisses to her dark hair. “She still won't admit that Nayeon unnie isn't the best cook.”

“I’m 20 years old!” Chaeyoung complains, but seems to accept her fate as Jihyo takes over pushing the cart, taking them into the next aisle. Sana clings to her, happy that Chaeyoung doesn't evade her hugs like Jeongyeon does sometimes.

“Well, I can see right through you, Minatozaki,” Jihyo jokes, her eye flashing blue for a moment, and Sana bursts out into laughter, head resting against the top of Chaeyoung’s.

“That was bad, even for me.” Chaeyoung looks unamused, taking their grocery list and seemingly ready to abandon them in the middle of the snack aisle. “Neither of you answered my question either.”

“We can have fried chicken with the pasta Mina’s making later,” Sana tells her, squeezing Chaeyoung closer as they follow after Jihyo and trying not to think about all of the snacks that were floating into their shopping cart. “Anything to make our baby happy.”

“Not if she doesn't drop the fifth bag of salt and vinegar chips she’s put into the cart,” Jihyo warns over her shoulder, but Sana only smiles and gives a puppy-eyed Chaeyoung a wink.

“Your secret’s safe with me,” Sana stage-whispers, loud enough to earn a fond eye roll from Jihyo and a brilliant grin from Chaeyoung.

“I knew you were my favourite,” Chaeyoung hums decidedly, and Sana’s smile only widens. Jihyo meets her gaze, just like she did galaxies and light years away, and it feels just like home.