Chapter 1

Fated
Please log in to read the full chapter

Brrrrrrrr! Brrrrrrr! Brrrrrrr!

The small round piece of plastic on the table vibrated and started to blink red. The vibration caused an unpleasant loud noise which forced most people to pick it up to silence it as quickly as possible. However, Jaebum, whom this piece of plastic belonged to, didn't seem to mind it that much. As if the notification was only an optional thing to recognize he continued to focus on the drawing in front of him. In a swift and confidante movement he added a few more lines to the drawing.

After a few seconds however, he started to get annoyed by the vibrating thing, lifted his head and stared at it angrily A deep sigh escaped his throat when he was forced to lay his drawing book and pencil on the table and pick up that annoying plastic thing. Hastily he got up from his way to comfortable seat. Without giving his drawing a second look he walked away from the table to the staircase that lead down to the counter.

The piece of plastic was still widely vibrating in his hands when he reached the counter. An employee with a wide but fake smile greeted him and showed him his order. A soft smile graced his lips when his eyes fell on the Iced Americano and the piece of strawberry cake he had ordered when he entered this place ten minutes ago. The rich smell of coffee reached his nose which made him smile a bit wider. Happily he exchanged the annoying thing for the tray full of wonderful things. He carefully picked the tray up and made his way upstairs again, where his drawing book and his things were waiting for him.

Only a few minutes later he put the tray down and let himself sink into the very comfortable armchair he claimed as his own for the next couple of hours. The place he chose to be seated at was right next to a large window front which allowed him to observe the people on the street downstairs as well as the people who were happily enjoying a cup of coffee in the shop.

JaeBum usually comes to this place. It always served him as a place of inspiration and creativity. It hasn't been that long since he first discovered this coffee shop. However, once he tasted the first sip of their Americano and was met with the warm and comfortable atmosphere he knew that this will be his place to spend hours and hours in the future to draw. The shop was full of people but the sound of them talking wasn't as loud as in other places which made the coffee shop experience even more enjoyable.

When he finally sat comfortably in his chair he grabbed his Americano and took a short sip of that heavenly beverage. Once the cold brew reached his mouth he sighed happily and closed his eyes. The coffee had a strong and rich flavour which wanted him to drink more of it right away. This truly was the best way to live one's life.

He put the cup back on the table and took his sketching book to hand. Again he looked at the last few lines he had drawn, picked up a pen and continued working on the drawing.

There was a name written in the middle of his drawing. Barely visible, however, if you knew it was there you still were able to see it. Different lines and colours covered it up and soon it was almost fully gone. Replaced by a beautiful picture that showed flowers and green plants that hid the name perfectly behind them.

It had taken him almost an hour to complete his sketch but once he saw the end result he smiled happily. He put the book down again to get another sip of his coffee. However, once he saw the oh-so-delicious drink he frowned. Not only was it half empty the ice had already melted, too. A pout appeared on his face while grabbing after the cup.

"Tough life", he sighed and wanted to take a sip when suddenly someone put down another freshly brewed cup in front of him. Cold and with new ice in it. With happily sparkling eyes looked JaeBum up and met the eyes of a handsome man he never had seen before.

"I hope I’m not bothering you. I've been watching you since you entered and was able to catch a glimpse of what you are working on. It's beautiful. As you barely touched your coffee I thought I’d buy you a new one. I hope you don't mind,” the stranger said while smiling softly.

JaeBum’s eyes glittered out of happiness and he began to nod vigorously. He put the already warm cup of Americano down and grabbed after the new and cold one he was offered. A wide smile graced his face while taking his first sip of the cold brown drink.

The stranger smiled happily when he saw JaeBum's reaction. He had another cup of coffee at hand. However, his coffee was still hot. The scent of fresh and warm coffee reached JaeBum's nose which made him lean back in his chair and sigh in happiness. Today sure was a very good day.

"May I?" suddenly asked the handsome stranger as he gestured to the chair right across from Jaebum’s.

"Of course!" JaeBum quickly replied while putting down his cup again to finally have a bit of his cake. Those strawberries look delicious!

"I couldn't stop noticing that your drawing was made to cover up a name... I was wondering if it is what I think it is...," the stranger started but hesitated to continue speaking.

"What do you think the drawing is for?" JaeBum asked while taking another big bite from the cake he enjoyed so much right now.

The stranger didn't answer. JaeBum lifted his head to look at the young man in front of him. Uncomfortable he shifted from one site to the other and nervously glanced around as if he was afraid anyone would hear what he was going to say next. After a few seconds he focused his eyes again on JaeBum. Hesitation had formed in his eyes and JaeBum wasn't sure if the other would continue speaking anytime soon. However, in a small and shy tone of voicethe other continued, “you know... it covers up the name of... you know..."

"I don't,” JaeBum replied. His expression suddenly became serious.

Hearing the artist's reply made the stranger look at him with desperate eyes as if he was hoping that JaeBum would continue what he wanted to say for him. Again he looked around nervously. Once done he leaned forward and gestured JaeBum to do the same. A smirk graced JaeBum's lips when he decided to follow the others request and leaned forward.

"Is it for the soulmate tattoo? I mean... I heard that people look for artists to overpaint it..."

"That's an illegal thing to do. I hope you know that," JaeBum said and leaned back again.

Disappointment appeared in the young man's eyes. However, he had a certain determination in his eyes that showed JaeBum that he won't give up that easily.

"I know that,” the stranger whispered. "I was hoping that you might be one of those guys... you know...who do that kind of work. I want my name to be gone."

JaeBum lifted his eyebrows after hearing that and took a better look at the stranger. The other was handsome. Very handsome, actually. He was dressed simple but still very fashionable. JaeBum guessed the other to be in his mid twenties, maybe even the same age as himself. A big bag next to the chair he was sitting in was filled with heavy and thick books which made JaeBum guess that the other might be a college student. Therefore he might be right when it comes to his age.

It was the stranger's eyes, however, that captured JaeBum the most. They were big and dark. They had something innocent but yet mysterious in them which fascinated the artist immensely.

After a while he tore his eyes away from the others and glanced at his wrist. A big wristwatch was put on his wrist which prevented him from seeing the name of his soulmate. The name, the other apparently wanted to have removed.

The stranger followed JaeBum's eyes and smiled shyly. He lifted his arm slightly, laid his hand in his lap and laid his other hand above it to prevent JaeBum to see the name at all. The artist frowned at that behaviour, furrowed his eyebrows and looked back up into the stranger's eyes.

"Can you help me?" the other pleaded which made JaeBum sigh heavily.

"No", JaeBum said in a strong tone of voice. "It's illegal and I'm not willing to risk my studio for this."

The strangers smile faded after hearing that. Disappointed he nodded and just wanted to stand up and leave the artist alone when suddenly JaeBum pulls out a business card out of his bag and hands it to the handsome young man.

"Listen, this is... the studio of a friend of mine. He does what you're looking for. I did some work for him in the past... and if you want I can help you there. Just ask for JB," he says while reaching out his arm to give the other the card.

The stranger's eyes began to sparkle again but before he was able to grab the card JaeBum pulled it away again. Confused the young man stared at the artist. His eyes longingly wandered to the small card. He really seemed to want the card. JaeBum sighed.

"Are you sure about this?" he asked to which the stranger nodded vigorously. Another heavy sigh escaped JaeBum's throat. Slowly he extended his arm again to offer the card to the other. Once it was close enough to the handsome man he quickly took it away from JaeBum and stared at it happily.

"JB, was it?" he asked while looking up again.

JaeBum nodded to which the other gifted him with a bright smile.

"I'll definitely call you. Do you need to see it for a first sketch or will that be done in a different meeting?" the young man asked excited, to which JaeBum only shrugged his shoulders to show him that he doesn't mind either way. The young man understood and immediately he began to remove his wristwatch. A few seconds later and the watch was placed on the table and the stranger extended his arm over the table so JaeBum was able to see the name.

Im JaeBum

JaeBum's heart sank when his eyes landed on the name written on the others wrist. It was his name. The artist bit his underlip and looked up at the other.

"I... need to take a picture of it as well... to work on a sketch for you. What would you like to have... as a picture? May... I ask your name?" JaeBum slowly said. Every single word became a challenge to mumble for him as seeing his own name had shocked him quite a bit. He tried to calm himself down a bit as there still was a chance that he wasn't sitting right across his soulmate. There are quite few Im JaeBum's out there. However, if the stranger's name would match the one he had on his wrist...it hurt to even thi

Please log in to read the full chapter