END.

Spiritual Experience
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yongsun loved God.

 

She loved going to church, attending bible meetings, and singing hymns at the top of her lungs with her choir ensemble. She loved praying each morning before breakfast and each night before bed. Her spirituality was her life.

 

Church had been her safe haven. A place that helped shed light on her life even on the bad days. Her home away from home—no matter how small and dainty it was. It was always enough for her.

 

Byulyi, on the other hand, didn't quite feel the same.

 

She would yawn throughout sermon, zone out during prayer, and mumble the lines to hymns. She wasn't spiritual—in fact, she didn't believe anything they told her and often questioned everything she was taught. Nonetheless, she continued to dress up and go to church every Sunday without a second thought.

 

If it wasn't for that damn cute choir girl she wouldn't bother getting herself out of bed at 8 A.M. every Sunday.

 

Long honey colored hair, cheeks blissfully pink with optimism, and a voice that could only belong to an angel. Yongsun consumed Byulyi's mind and heart. Yongsun was the kind of girl Byulyi would do anything for, whether she was the leader of a satanist cult or God's holiest saint.

 

Unfortunately, Yongsun had no clue Byulyi felt that way towards her. They had never spoken a single word to each other; despite the fact Yongsun was an active member of the church, neither of them had garnered the courage to approach one another.

 

The main reason being, Byulyi choices in clothing. She dressed differently compared to the other women. She opted for suits; she was never a fan of skirts. They were classy and feminine, ranging from royal blues to pastel pinks. But it wasn't the suits that made Yongsun keep her distance.

 

It was how incredibly attractive Byulyi looked wearing them.

 

Yongsun felt like a sinner every time their eyes met during worship. She felt like a sinner every time they bumped into each other on their way to bible study. She felt like a sinner every time she planned an outfit that would stand out, just to catch a glimpse of Byulyi checking her out.

 

They didn't need words to know they were attracted to one another.

 

Yongsun loved God, but she was falling out of grace with thoughts of Byulyi ravishing her in the middle of prayer.

 

It didn't help that today, Byulyi decided to sit next to her.

 

It was the holiday season so it was no wonder why the small church was meagerly packed with attendee's leaving little room to sit. Yet, there were so many other spots Byulyi could have chose from, and Yongsun sat in the same seat every Sunday. So why today, out of days, did Byulyi sit next to her.

 

The energy surrounding the two was electrifying. Yongsun buzzed nervously, her posture straighter than normal, and her hands fidgeted in her lap.

 

Unlike Yongsun, Byulyi was keeping it cool, calm, and collective.

 

The packed church was the perfect excuse to sit next to Yongsun. And maybe, for once, they can have a decent conversation, and what a good topic to starter.

 

Byulyi sitting relaxed in her seat, leaned closer to the choir girl. “There's a lot of people here today,” She began.

 

Yongsun not budging from her tense posture nodded in agreement. Byulyi sighed returning to her position realizing that was about the extent their conversation.

 

“Christmas is just around the corner so I'm not surprised.” Yongsun finally replied startling Byulyi. She collected herself and responded.

 

“I never understood why they only come around holidays and not the other three hundred days of the year.”

 

“Right!” Yongsun shouted turning her seat to face Byulyi. She regretted it as soon as it happened. Looking at Byulyi this close up was a death sentence. She was unconventional beauty in Yongsun's eyes, comparable to a piece of art. She didn't dare to look away, and the look on Byulyi's face said the same.

 

Byulyi's lips turned into a coy smile, “You're a good girl Yongsun. You come every Sunday without second thought.”

 

Something about the way Byulyi's smile , and how she called her 'Yongsun' despite their age difference, and the way she said 'good girl' lit a flame in Yongsun's body. She felt like a sinner again, turning a sentence so innocent into something ual without any hesitance.

 

Yongsun in a breath of air, feeling her cheeks turn red, “W-w-wouldn't miss it for the world.”

 

“I know you wouldn't.”

 

They didn't say anything after that as service finally began. Yongsun left her seat a few times to sing Christmas songs with the choir, taking Byulyi's breath away during each solo verse. She truly had a voice of an angel.

 

The service was over before they knew it. They exchanged an equally disappointed glance, bowing goodbye, and went separate ways.

 

“Hey Unnie, are you okay? You've been acting weird all day,” Hwasa, a fellow chorus girl asked Yongsun, holding her bible close to her chest.

 

“Yeah, I'm okay? Why wouldn't I be okay?” Yongsun wondered tugging at the ends of her cardigan.

 

“Maybe because Byulyi-Unnie sat by you today?”

 

Yongsun blinked in astonishment, “What is that supposed to mean?”

 

“I thought you two had a vendetta against each other or something. You never seem to be in the same proximity—I was sitting two rows behind you guys and you sat straighter than a ruler. I don't know,” She shrugged. “You seemed really uncomfortable.”

 

“I think you're looking too much into it.” Yongsun responded placing her bible inside of her handbag.

 

The two walked to the door. Hwasa didn't forget to mention her annual Christmas party, to which Yongsun assured her she'd always attend. When they reached the exit, they both awed at the marvelous snowy day.

 

The snow glittered onto the pavement from the cloudy gray sky. The Christmas lights hanging upon the church's rooftop reflected against the speckles giving the area a joyful atmosphere.

 

Hwasa said goodbye, stepped out the door, and opened a black umbrella disappearing into the fog.

 

The weather wasn't this bad when she arrived, why did it have to backfire?. Yongsun didn't feel safe enough to walk home in this weather in heels. Might as well stay and wait for the storm to pass before heading home.

 

A cold breeze hit Yongsun causing her to shiver and move from the door to a nearby window. She wanted to watch the snow but she wasn't a big fan of the cold.

 

A few familiar faces passed her.

 

“Yongsun-ah, when are you getting married?”

 

“Yongsun-ah, do you want me to set you up with someone?”

 

“Yongsun-ah, you would be perfect for my son.”

 

“Yongsun-ah, how much longer are you going to be single for? Aren't you lonely?”

 

Her smile never faltered. She knew no one in her church would understand her current situation. That's one of the main reasons why she turned to the church too, to feel a part of something. To be accepted. Sometimes God threw challenges her way and she had to learn how to handle it. Whether that meant being shunned from her church didn't matter, because God made her like this for a reason.

 

“I know you love church, but you can go home. I'm sure The Man will understand.” A familiar voice emerged from behind her. Yongsun jumped, absolutely convinced she was the last person here. She let out a breath of relief when it was just Byulyi.

 

“Moon-ssi, you scared me,” Yongsun pouted.

 

“Sorry,” Byulyi smiled, pleased with herself. “Oh and please there is no need to use the honorifics.”

Please log in to read the full chapter