Faded

For Life

Three months. It's been three full months since Baekhyun was back. Every day was spent with him, be it at the theme park, various cafes or even his house. Sometimes, you doubted fate. Maybe he was your soulmate. Why couldn't it be him? It would have saved you so much time, so much trouble. Not like you've been spending a lot of time looking, though. You just wanted to spend more time with him before he left for this next semester in Japan. 

"You're late again...." Baekhyun shook his head as you pulled the chair opposite him and took a seat. On the table was a cup of matcha latte, less sweet. Just the way you liked it. You were thankful that he knew you so well. 

"I'm sorry that I actually had work to do, unlike someone that's been rotting his days away since he returned." Rolling your eyes at him had become such a habit that you were amazed your eyeballs wern't permenantly fixated like that. "What's up though, why did you call for an earlier meeting, you're reaaaally needy. This friendship is too high maintenance..."

Baekhyun merely did the thing with his eyes, where they turned into half crescents. "I think I found her."

"Who what when why how???" Although it wasn't your soulmate, but you were curious about how it happened, especially since he was your closest friend that got a soulmate. You wanted the details. 

He swept his bangs out of his eyes and gave you a teasing smile. You could see the smirk forming at the corner of his lips again. "What if I don't tell you?" 

The next second, he was doubling over in pain, clutching at his foot. "Fine, fine, I'll speak." 

His eyes lit up with an emotion you have not seen before, as he recalled his first encounter with the said soulmate. Internally, you were slightly jealous that this feeling was for a girl other than you, yet you said nothing. 

"I stayed in the cafe for a little while longer yesterday, after you left," You nodded for him to continue, you had to rush off for a dinner appointment with Chanyeol, your colleague. "I didn't tell you then, but somehow, I had a feeling something was going to happen, and it did. Must've been fate." 

A dreamy expression clouded his pupils and a smile was slowly etched onto his face. "It was then, I saw her. I knew it the minute our eyes met. It wasn't her eyes I saw at first though, it was her brown and slightly pink hair that caught my attention."

"Hold on, haven't you completely lost your coloured vision?" 

"Nope, it had been going on and off for a couple of weeks now. Shut up and listen, stop interrupting me."

"As I was saying, somehow the colours stood out to me, extremely brightly. I was a little curious, so I turned my head a little and this was when she turned back to look at me. The minute I looked into her eyes, it was like I was hit with a truck. BOOM. Colour loss. I could see it in her eyes too, the look of shock and disbelief. It was such a pity though, I couldn't even take note of the colour of her eyes, all I saw was her hair." 

"Did you get to speak to her?"

"I think she was too succumbed by shock to process the situation. All she did was give me an embarassed bow, before walking off quickly."

"Well, that was awkward.."

"At least I know what she looks like now though, so if I ever do see her again.."

"What about the colours?"

"I was blinded by the surge of colours the minute she left. It was then that I knew, it was definitely her."

You were genuinely happy for him. He finally met the one. Though it was only temporary but at least he knew she existed somewhere near him. You, on the other hand, you didn't even know if your soulmate was here, or somewhere far away on another part of this earth. Only time would tell.

You became aware that you'd been dreaming again, while Baekhyun was continuously talking about his other half's beautiful hair and sparkling eyes. It was amazing being able to watch as his soulmate story unfolded in front of your very existence, yet something within you was also hoping that your chance would come soon. As you stared into Baekhyun's eyes, you couldn't help but realise that it seemed duller than usual. Were his pupils always black? 

You rubbed your eyes and looked into them once more, yet they were a light chestnut brown, something you were used to seeing since Elementary school. Must be the lack of sleep... Shrugging it off, you attempted to focus on Baekhyun's slightly low voice, and what he was talking about. 

 

A week later, he found her. It must have been fate. They walked into each other on the streets, he said. Or more like, she walked into him. He recgonised her eyes immediately, and her hair of course. They were inseperable ever since. You saw less and less of your best friend, but it wasn't like you had time to meet him either. Work (and school) were taking a toll on you and you barely had enough time to sleep, let alone socialise. You knew that he'd be heading back to Japan in a week, yet it was too physically exhausting for you to make time to meet him, especially since he always seemed to be busy with his soulmate anyway. What is a best friend when you have a soulmate. You were forgotten. 

Most of your time was now spent in the flower shop. It was your means of escapism, and it brought you a sense of peace that nothing else could. It was where you coped with Baekhyun's departure to Japan, where tears endlessly flowed down your cheeks when you didn't do well for the exam, where you sought comfort when you experienced your first breakup. It was your safe haven. Vision blurring from the lack of sleep as you smoothened the edges of the rose petal, it suddenly dawned upon you that it looked slightly... pale? Was it always this pink?

Making a mental note to visit the optometrist the next day, you thought nothing of it and proceeded to embed the different colours of Baby's Breath into the bouquet. It was your favourite one as of yet. The red of the rose stood out vibrantly against the the blushing, baby pink. The pastel blue was breathtaking, adding a hint of alternate color to the seemingly overly pink bouquet. The light purple gave a touch of elegance and the white neautralised it all, giving the bouquet a healthy, mesmerising glow. Roses and Baby's Breath. Your favourite combination.

Closing your eyes, you took a deep breath and the all too familar sweet scent of the roses brought you into a state of bliss. You felt at ease again, in your own little happy bubble. The tinkling of the windchimes brought you back to reality, signalling that someone lightly pushed the door open. It felt like a blindfold that was placed over your eyes were removed. You squinted a little to re-adjust to the brightness and you were hit with the realisation. The colours. They're gone

The floral shop lost it's original glow. It was scary, to say the least, everything was dark and all you could see was black and white. The flowers you held in your hands, the ones that brought you joy and happiness, now seemed dull and boring. The pink, red, purple and blue were transformed into different shades of gray. It was like a scene out of a horror movie, with uncertainty of what could creep up to you from a corner. You were immediately wary, cautious even. Your safe haven no longer felt safe anymore. Unsure of what was happening, you could feel tears welling in the corners of your eyes. Baekhyun. I need Baekhyun.