Back

For Life

"Three "Happiness" Bouquets please!"

"Coming right up!", you dabbed at the tiny beads of sweat forming on your forehead and got ready to prepare the next order.

It was a really busy day. Especially with Valentine's day around the corner, new orders were consistently swarming in and you barely had time to breathe. On a daily basis, this was your favourite pasttime. Sure, it was your part-time job, but there was something about the vibrance of the flowers, and the constant sweet scent, that made you love what you were doing. Today though, you just couldn't wait for the day to be over, as the workload was becoming draining, slowly but surely. Realising that there was a fresh bouquet of Baby's Breath that was just delivered earlier on this morning, you ran back to the back of the shop, wanting to maximise effiency as much as possible. However, you saw black as your face collided with a solid chest.

"Ow, watch where you're going... I'm pretty sure God gave you eyes for a reason!" A pair of hands grabbed you by the shoulders and gently pushed you away, and you looked up, trying to identify who it was. 

A pretty V-shaped jawline, sparkling eyes lined with eyeliner and a permenant smirk embedded into his face.

You did a double take, pretty sure you wern't seeing right. Your best friend since elemantary school? Standing right in front of your eyes? How was it possible? Wasn't he in Japan for University? All this work must have gotten to me. 

"Was that so big of an impact that you can't even recgnonise me now?" The smirk deepened. 

"BYUN BAEKHYUN!!! What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in ages!" You immediately reached out and enveloped him in a huge bear hug. He returned the hug, ruffling your hair as he did so. I've missed you so much.

"How have you been? You look like an embodiment of death itself. Have you not gotten any sleep?" He pushed you away once again, in an attempt to look at your face. 

"Yah, will you stop man-handling me? I can't believe this is the first thing you say about my appearance after all these months. To think I thought Japan would have changed you." 

You felt his soft, slender fingers on your cheeks as he pinched them, with an annoyingly high pitched voice squealing "Aww kawaiiii, I love it when you're angry." He dragged the word, knowing that it would infuriate you even more. 

"I don't have time for this, I need to go back to processing the orders.. See you later?" You rolled your eyes at him. Although you were upset (on the inside, of course) that you could barely spend time with him, work was your ultimate priority. 

He nodded, but stayed where he was. 

You walked past him, internally cursing at him for being an obstruction at your work place, but he immediately followed behind you. Just before you could reach the bouquet of Baby's Breath, an outstretched arm beat you to it and you scowled. 

"Stop playing around Baek, I mean it. I need to work." 

"And I'm here to help you!" The annoying smirk was replaced with crescent shaped eyes and his signature square shaped smile. You internally melted at his cuteness, but of course, you wern't going to show it. 

"Well, make yourself useful then." Tossing an apron at him, you walked back out to continue arranging the bouquet you were previously working on. Baekhyun put on the apron and started work at the back end of the shop. His long, thin fingers delicately placing the roses in place before adding a ton of Baby's Breath. You glanced towards him and smiled. I'm glad he's back. 

 

Four long hours later, your legs felt like they were going to give way, and you huffed as your bangs got into your eyes for the millionth time, in an attempt to blow them out of your field of vision. This was the final bouquet. One last one and you'd be done with work! At least, for today. 

As you looped the ribbon and gave a gentle tug to pull the bow into place, the final bouquet was completed. Untying the apron and tossing it on the counter, you walked back to where Baekhyun was. You couldn't wait to catch up with him, after months of not seeing him. Although he was possibly the most annoying guy on earth, he was still your best friend and greatest confident, and all these months without him really felt like torture. 

He was sat on a chair, facing the mountain in the far distance. Initially, it seemed like he was merely enjoying the view, but as you walked closer, you realised that he was fast asleep, drool creeping down the side of his mouth as he snored softly. His black bangs just barely reached his eyebrows and he looked like a sleeping puppy. He must've been exhausted after the flight.

You were just about to put your sweater over him, so that he could at least be slightly warmer, when he stirred.

"Where am I....?" He rubbed sleep out of his eyes and stared confusedly at you for a few seconds before he got back his senses. It was your turn to smirk at him, as you whispered, "Good morning, sleepyhead". 

"Why is it so... dark in here though." Baekhyun had a mysterious look in his eyes, as though he was slightly bothered by something, but you attributed it to post-sleep confusion. 

"Must be the lights." You flicked the switch and the entire room was taken over by a ray of yellow. Working without rest every other day, you had nearly forgotten how pretty the shop looked with flowers in different shades and vibrant colors. Your favourite were the roses of course. Red. A deep red that went so perfectly well with the pastel pink and white Baby's Breath flowers. Baekhyun preferred the Baby's Breath though. He always thought that they went well with everything. "Just like me, with my easy going personality." 

You could almost hear his voice repeating that as you remembered the line he never failed to mention when he looked at them. You were daydreaming again. "Wait..."

Baekhyun's voice pulled you back into reality. He was staring at you, with the said confused expression. 

"Amazed by my beauty, Byun Baek?" You smirked at him and waited for his witty comeback. All that came back was, "The colours. They're gone."

 

 

Soft clinks could be heard as the barista prepared the coffee you ordered, but it seemed louder than ever with the silence that was between you and your best friend. He was looking around the shop, with both awe and shock, as though he couldn't believe what was happening. You couldn't too. 

"Was it in Japan?"

"I'm not sure," he replied. "I felt traces of colour disappearing when I reached the bus-stop right in front of your shop today, but I merely associated it with the lack of sleep." 

"Great job Byun Baek, you had one shot at finding your soulmate but you just lost it like that." You shook your head as you flicked him on the forehead teasingly, "Why am I not surprised?"

On the inside though, you were slightly concerned. What if he finds her and I'm not his first priority anymore? He won't ditch me for his soulmate would he? This was replaced with another voice inside your head. Why would you even think that? 15 years of friendship don't account to nothing, stop being a worrywart. 

You shook your head to get these negative thoughts out. "Who do you think it is though?"

Baekhyun still looked very amazed as he looked around, trying to adapt to his new vision. "I'm not sure, but she's bound to be nearby. It can't be that I haven't even gone for a date with her, yet I've already lost all the colours right?"

According to what you have heard from your friends, colours only disappear once you've officially went out with your soulmate, or if they were in extremely close proximity. However, the ultimate choice was up to you, should you choose to stay with the person for life, you would lose your sight of colours forever. It was a test of true love, whether you were willing to sacrifce for the one you loved.

You made a sweeping glance across the room. "Maybe she's in this very cafe right now!"

"Possibly!" His eyes gleamed with excitement. You haven't seen this look on his face since he announced that his scholarship for the Japanese University of his dreams got approved, but you were definitely happy for him. When will this day come for me?

"Enough about me though, how has your life been while I was away?"

"Hey, this is a crucial time in your life right now, we can always catch up later, let's just find your soulmate first!" Although you were touched that he still prioritised you over everything else, you knew that this moment couldn't be missed. 

"Nah, I believe that fate would bring us together even if we didn't try to search. Don't change the topic! Have you found yours yet?"

"Not even close."

"It's okay, I'm sure it'll come soon. And when that day comes, I can't wait to meet him so that I can warn him about what a nasty person you are, to give him some mental preperation for what he's signing himself up for."

"Yah." You kicked him under the table, trying to hide the smile on your face. You couldn't wait too.