Episode 11

Youth: Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Running, Running Just to Keep My Hands On You

 

Holiday is coming and it’s the first time that Mrs. Kang suggests to go for a trip for 2 days 1 night with the family and the boarders. They’re gathering around in the kitchen because Mrs. Kang has something to tell them at night, it’s a time when she can see them all. She tells the boarders. Mr. Kang, Haneul, and Hareum already knew about this, but Hareum joins her friends in the kitchen. She’s listening and comfortably eating her snack. Sungwoo sits beside Chaera this time.

Since the day he was in the hospital, no, since the day he’s been suspecting on Chaera’s relationship with Haneul, he tries as natural as possible to keep himself close to Chaera and observes them when they’re interacting. Because of this, the friends have always been trying to make a situation where Sungwoo get helpless and finds himself in confusion about Chaera and Haneul. They bet Sungwoo has fallen in love with Chaera but he hasn’t gotten that idea yet. He doesn’t realize himself yet so the friends are trying to make him realize of that as well.

Hareum told Haneul about how Sungwoo is right now to Chaera. Haneul said, “Ya! I have a girlfriend!”

They were in his room. Haneul clicked her tongue, seemed Haneul was so stupid to get the real idea behind of it. “Who said you have to be Chaera’s boyfriend?” Hareum sighed and shook her head. Her brother didn’t get her. “You just need to act like you usually do! Chaera doesn’t want you to be her boyfriend either!” she spoke harshly and firmly the truth and he pouted because of how she said it. “Anyway, it’s like that. Because we want to make them together,” and she laughed evilly.

“Is there something going on between the two?” Haneul asked as he had no idea of them.

Hareum rolled her eyes. “How could you not notice anything between them?” she said and Haneul just shrugged. Then, Hareum started telling their stories.

So, this holiday thing is perfect for them to execute their plans. Somehow it will be fun, especially Hareum and Minhyun are excited about this. Dowoon is half-excited and half-afraid if they are getting caught since Dowoon is Chaera’s family, but as he thinks further that it’s okay to do that between families. Hareum whispers to Dowoon whom is sitting beside her. “Ya, just relax. Got it?” and Dowoon nods. Chaera glances at them, she’s curious but she tries not to as Mrs. Kang starts the briefing right away.

Mrs. Kang wants to bring the whole team to Gunsan because she heard there will be a history night festival. It will be filled with food stalls, games, and more exciting things that she doesn’t want to miss. It’s been a long time that they haven’t had a proper holiday with the whole family.

They go on Saturday. Sungwoo brings his mother’s car which he picked it up on Friday evening since the distance to his house is the least far among four of the boarders. They had their breakfast already and now they’re putting their things into the car. “Here, Hareum-a,” Chaera passes Hareum’s bag to Hareum. They don’t bring many things since they just stay for a day. The boys are going back and forth to put the things and settle it.

The family uses their own car and the rest of the boarders are with Sungwoo. Minhyun sits beside Sungwoo and the other two are in the back. Sungwoo checks everyone from the rear mirror and he glances at Chaera whom is already putting the seatbelt. “Okay, shall we go?” he says and starts the engine. He waits until the car in front of him moves first so he can get going.

It will be a long ride so they start leaving from early in the morning so they can arrive there early and have a little rest on the guest house. Mrs. Kang intentionally reserved a guest house so she can interact with people there and she makes a space for the boarders to make some friends. She thinks they’re still young and she doesn’t want them looking so anti-social with their lives.

Unfortunately, the one who can drive is just Sungwoo on that car. Minhyun just gets his driving license like months, almost a year ago but he doesn’t have any chance to drive. “If you’re tired, just tell us,” Minhyun says and the other two behind are nodding their heads, agreeing on what Minhyun says.

“It’s okay,” Sungwoo says and Chaera clicks her tongue.

“Don’t say it’s okay if you’re not okay, Sungwoo-ya,” she tells him again and Sungwoo is just silent. He doesn’t want to give burden to his friends but they don’t want to see him struggling alone. They don’t want a thing happened again since his sickness.

They take a stop at a rest area. “Wake up, Chaera-ya,” Sungwoo says as he stops the engine and takes the key out. Chaera opens her eyes, stretches her arms and yawns. Minhyun and Dowoon get out from the car first, with Chaera next and Sungwoo is the last until Chaera comes out. The family also out from the car and they enter the food court area right away.

“Oh, you slept?” Haneul asks Chaera as he finds her face is still in sleepiness. The friends glance at them, especially Sungwoo. Haneul walks beside Chaera, she looks at him and nods. Haneul chuckles and pets her head. The friends didn’t expect that Haneul would act like that. No, Sungwoo-ya, you shouldn’t worry. Sungwoo reminds himself and he decides that despite being worry, he’s just being so cool about it and just being himself.

“What do you want to eat, Chaera-ya?” Sungwoo asks and Chaera raises her eyebrows at him. Well, it’s not the first time he’s asked that to her but Chaera still finds it rare for him to ask her.

The others are exchanging looks and secretly smirk. “What? You want to treat me?” Chaera answers just like how she answers. Sungwoo shrugs, but Chaera smirks. She takes this as a chance to get a treat from him. “Well, who’s with me?” she’s getting excited and inviting the others to go with her and let Sungwoo pay for their treats.

“No, I’m good,” Minhyun says right away and the others follow with their nods.

Chaera nods and glances at Sungwoo. She takes a lead to go to a food stall she wants. “Let’s go,” and Sungwoo follows her from behind. They walk side by side and the four of them didn’t think that Sungwoo would take an action like that.

The others are going for a lunch. Mrs. Kang asks to Hareum where Chaera and Sungwoo are so Hareum just simply answers that they buy for other food.

“I want to try a famous bakery in Gunsan later, so no sweets,” Chaera talks to herself and Sungwoo just nods following her. She stops suddenly and it makes him stop as well. She turns to look at him, he looks at her back. He raises his eyebrows wondering what she wants to say. “What do you want to eat, Sungwoo-ya?”

“Why? Suddenly?” he asks and smirks because he’s flustered by her question. “I’m the one who wants to treat you. Why do you ask me back?”

She shrugs. “Just because,” she answers vaguely. “I’ll go to where the food stall you want to go. It’s okay, anyway,” she simply says and Sungwoo is lost for words. She realizes it, smirks, sighs and folds her arms. This guy can be so frustrating. “Ya,” she’s back to the gangster side of her and he’s startled by that because he didn’t do anything wrong. “I get it that you care for your friend, but later you have to drive again and I know, we know that you’re tired. So, eat a food that you want and I’ll eat with you,” he’s touched. The more he knows her, the more he realizes that she’s actually a warm person and kind of tsundere sometimes. She looks cold on the outside but she’s actually warm in the inside.

He makes up his mind. “Okay, if you say that,” he says and she makes a way for him. He’s happy, but he’s more relieved in the terms of being grateful. How roomy his heart is that he doesn’t want to waste this opportunity, to prioritize himself right here right now. He walks fast to the food stall he already set and Chaera makes sure to match his steps well.

“Oh, it’s Sungwoo,” Dowoon says when he sees both Chaera and Sungwoo appear in the food court. Haneul takes a glance, but Hareum and Minhyun look at them. “They didn’t buy anything,” Dowoon says.

Sungwoo wants to eat warm food in this hot weather. It will be autumn next week, he doesn’t want to miss this chance to spend the final summer this year. Sungwoo orders and Chaera orders the same. He looks at her in confusion, “Why did you order the same thing?”

“Why? Is it prohibited?” Chaera talks back and Sungwoo has no answer to that. They take their orders and go to the seat where the family and their friends are after Chaera sees them from a far. Sungwoo, once again, is like putting a guard between Chaera and Haneul but he realizes he doesn’t need to act like that. Wherever she wants to sit, it’s her choice. He always reminds himself to be not so protective about her life. It’s her life, not his. He realizes that he has his own life to take care of.

“You didn’t buy snacks?” Minhyun asks them who are sitting beside Dowoon and Hareum across each other. They just reply him by shaking their heads.

And later, they start going to Gunsan again. Dowoon is sitting beside Sungwoo now and Minhyun is on the back with Chaera. Minhyun massages Sungwoo’s shoulders as his support to give his friend a slight strength, even though he can’t help much.

They arrive at the guest house. It’s filled with people from other part of Gunsan and the province staying the night there. It has a backyard where there’s a set of benches, bonfire, and a grill. “Hello,” Mrs. Kang gets inside with the rest following behind, the owner greets her and they shake their hands. Politely and kindly, the owner guides them to their rooms and introduces them to the other customers.

“It’s very lively here,” Minhyun whispers to Hareum and she nods looking at the minimalist decoration and how lively the backyard is. They go to the backyard following the owner where they can see people around their age are hanging out there, talking. Chaera, Dowoon, and Sungwoo are bit shy with new people but Sungwoo is the type who gets out from his comfort zone. He tries his best to talk with them. Haneul, Hareum, and Minhyun are introducing themselves to the youth there with the remaining three are following their actions. Hareum links her arm with Chaera’s to accompany her meeting new people. She knows how shy Chaera is.

“You’ll be fine,” Hareum tells her and sees how Chaera tries so hard to smile and Chaera nods looking to those people.

“There are still customers staying here,” the owner explains. “But they already went around the neighborhood until the night festival.”

Haneul tells the younger ones behind him, enthusiastically but kind of give a force to his words. “We have to go to the night festival together later,” Sungwoo thinks Haneul is once again with his idea of having a get together with the boarders and Chaera thinks the same, but the rest four are nodding their heads firmly. But for Chaera, hanging out with the boarders for now are the best. She can’t mix with the strangers that well on the first day.

Then, they go to their own rooms. Hareum and Chaera are satisfied with their rooms. The view is great, it’s facing the backyard and they can see the crowded neighborhood. “Wow,” Chaera says as she’s looking out to the window. Hareum joins her in and sees the scene. “I’m kind of excited for tonight,” the crowd for the festival attracts her more. Hareum just smirks seeing Chaera like this. She knows that Chaera wants to meet new people and that’s a good thing.

Hareum, then, sits on the floor and opens her bag to settle her things. She takes out her cosmetics to be put on the make-up table in the room. “Where should we go after this?”

Then, a knock is heard and the girls are looking at each other. Chaera goes to the door right away and opens it. “Oh, you guys,” she says as there are four men in front of the door, standing there like waiting for them. “Where are you guys going?”

“Let’s go for a lunch,” Haneul says.

Chaera observes the situation in front of her and those boys. She turns her head and tells Hareum, “Hareum-a! Let’s go for a lunch!”

“Wait a minute!” Hareum is still organizing her things. She has this kind of habit of being organized, more organized than Chaera do to her own things.

The youths are going outside for a lunch leaving Mr. and Mrs. Kang behind. Haneul insisted that his parents should have their own time which means he intentionally didn’t want them to join the group of young people. They go around the neighborhood by walking and they see that there are still people who do the set up and else, the festival isn’t started yet.

“I heard there’s a delicious beef and radish soup around here,” Minhyun says as they are going downstairs.

Sungwoo notices that Haneul is behind them with Chaera, talking like, “The festival will be so fun, right?”

“Yeah,” Chaera shortly answers.

“How about beef and radish soup?” Sungwoo stops and asks to both of them. Haneul is surprised first and Chaera later, with the remaining three are exchanging gazes toward each other. They stop and are flustered at sudden Sungwoo’s movement. The three are watching this with an interest. Sungwoo is just talking to them because he finds it a bit annoying to hear both Chaera and Haneul are talking while Minhyun is talking himself.

“That’s okay,” Chaera answers. “Shouldn’t we get going? We’re blocking the way,” she tells them as they see two girls are going upstairs and they make a way for them.

One of them unintentionally bumps Minhyun as she looks so hasty going upstairs to her room. “Oh, sorry!” she says and glances quickly to Minhyun, quickly nods her head to him as her apology. She already goes away without Minhyun have to say anything. He just stares at her black ponytail hair blankly.

“Let’s go, Minhyun-a,” Hareum says as she notices that her friend is staring too long at that unknown girl. Maybe he doesn’t realize it himself.

“Oh, right,” and they leave to their own adventures.

They arrive at the famous restaurant which is well-known for its beef and radish soup. Chaera sits between Sungwoo and Hareum. This happens because Chaera and Hareum chose their seats first and Sungwoo saw it. He looked to Haneul and he naturally sat beside Chaera, but the remaining four realized that there was a specific reason for Sungwoo to sit there. Haneul is having fun executing the plan created by Hareum and the kids. He just finds it funny.

They order five portions of the soup. The girls aren’t sure to empty one portion by themselves, so they order five instead. If it’s really delicious, they will buy for the parents.

Sungwoo takes out the chopsticks and passes it over to all of them, and first to Chaera before Haneul takes his move. Not because I’m possessive to her, just because I sense something strange between them, especially Haneul. He brainwashes his own mind. Sungwoo just thinks that Haneul has someone but he’s being good toward Chaera, but he’s not sure on this so he keeps on guard to protect Chaera if there’s anything happened.

“Thanks,” Chaera says and the four secretly glances at their interaction with a smirk they bury inside. Later, the food comes and they start eating.

“It’s tender both the beef and radish,” Hareum says as she’s impressed and exclaims. “Wow, I don’t regret we’re having this for lunch.”

“I think we have to order one more, Hareum-a,” Chaera says, but Hareum shakes her head.

“No, I think one is fine. But if you’re still hungry, you can order one.”

“No, I’m not giving to you guys,” Haneul says it firmly and Hareum clicks her tongue.

“I don’t want to ask you either.”

“Let’s just have a peaceful lunch, shall we?” Chaera sarcastically stops them and they all become small because of her. Chaera likes to eat with a proper conversation rather than fighting and debating in a dining table because it can worsen the mood.

Because Chaera’s bowl of rice is empty, so is Hareum’s, they want to ask for more from their friends. “Wow, it’s delicious,” Hareum sneakily says as she’s salivating by watching the boys in front of her are so enjoying their food.

Chaera rests her head with her hands and turns it to right to see Sungwoo’s portion. “Are you done?” she asks when she knows that he hasn’t done yet, but the bowl is almost empty. She wants to eat a piece of beef and she’s been looking to the food.

Sungwoo notices it and says, “You want one?” he asks and she shakes her head but her eyes are still to the food.

Unlike Chaera who is a bit hesitating, Hareum casually takes a piece from Haneul’s and it makes him scold her. “Ya!” he frowns but Hareum is dancing as she’s happy with her dirty little effort. “Don’t disturb me while eating!” but Hareum just sticks her tongue out, being so mischievous.

“Here,” Sungwoo says as he’s taking a slice by his chopsticks and offering it to Chaera. She’s flustered as she’s looking at his hand is going toward her, but she casually takes a bite without any motive. We’re friends and that’s okay, she thinks. The others are surprised seeing this, but Sungwoo is the most surprised ones. They try to act natural and Sungwoo clears his throat and continues to eat. He decides to not saying anything because he’s afraid that it could make them awkward.

They didn’t think that Chaera is that comfortable with Sungwoo now but as they think about it, that fact is a bit saddening for Sungwoo that Chaera just thinks of him as a friend. But they’re sure that Sungwoo hasn’t realized his feelings yet to Chaera. They’re sure.

“Oh, you’re guys are back,” says one of the customers when he walks passing them, brings a big bowl of meat on his hands. “Just join us, it’ll be fun,” he’s hospitably invites them and they nod with a smile, are grateful for the invitation. They decide to join for a while and there they find Mr. and Mrs. Kang are talking with the others.

“Kids!” Mr. Kang calls them and they go to him. He’s talking with a person younger than him, maybe around 30s and they’re like talking happily. “Introduce yourselves,” and they get acquainted with that 30-year-old man whom is staying the night with his cousins. “He is working at an electronic company, from Seoul like us,” and they start the chit chat.

Night comes, the youngsters are gathering around the bonfire but some of them are grilling the meat. Chaera and Hareum are eating the piece one by one, Minhyun serves a plate full of grilled meat to the outdoor table there where the older ones gather and talk. Sungwoo is inside, washing some plates with an acquaintance who is studying at K University in Seoul, a sophomore. He’s done with the dishes and he’s about to go outside bringing one plate with him.

Before he takes his foot outside, he hears Haneul’s voice near him. As he looks by the glass door, Haneul is standing near the door and talking to his phone. Sungwoo is curious who Haneul is talking with and he stops, eavesdrops it even though he knows it’s bad and if Haneul finds him out like this he will get beaten.

“Yeah, it’s fun,” Haneul says happily and chuckles. “I miss you,” he says sweetly. Wait, what? Sungwoo is surprised by this. So, he has a girlfriend? Then, what about Chaera? His mind is running wildly and there are more thoughts of Haneul is cheating behind his girlfriend. “How are you doing there?” he asks and Sungwoo slides the door open and Haneul is surprised by his sudden appearance right then. “Oh shoot! Sungwoo-ya!” he talks loud to him and Sungwoo just casually bows to him as his sorry. Chaera, Dowoon, Hareum and Minhyun look at them and they see Haneul is calming his heart down.

Sungwoo walks to the griller and Hareum asks, “What did you do to him?”

He looks at the girls whom are looking at him. Chaera is still eating her meat and Hareum as well. “I unintentionally surprised him,” and he gives them a forced chuckle. “Hehe, my bad,” and he puts the plate on the table beside the griller. He goes to Dowoon whom is gathering with other customers, sitting and playing the cajon.

Dowoon notices Sungwoo join in to the circle and he looks at his expression. Sungwoo takes his seat and quietly watches the performance. “Why are you so quiet, Sungwoo-ya?” Dowoon talks a bit louder so Sungwoo can hear his voice in the midst of people singing. The vocalist right now is glancing at them, he doesn’t want to be disturbed at the middle of his singing. He just wants to make sure everything is okay.

“Nothing,” Sungwoo answers without looking at Dowoon and watches the vocalist sings a perfect song for a bonfire.

Chaera sits alone around the bonfire. Well, technically she’s not alone. There are people sitting around it as well, but they are sitting pretty far from Chaera and they are talking. Unlike her, it’s the perfect time to be alone.

Sungwoo, then, focuses his sight to Chaera whom is sitting alone with her head looking to the sky. What is she looking at? And he does the same. Well, the clear night sky gives a wonderful and beautiful view of stars and a moon up there. He’s looking at her staring at those for long. Then, he looks to Haneul whom is joining Hareum and his mom. Without further ado, he stands up. Dowoon looks at him and says, “Where are you going?”

“Just there,” he says with his head points to the bonfire. Dowoon sees Chaera is sitting there and he nods to Sungwoo. He still wants to jam with the guys, but then he tells Haneul, Hareum, and Minhyun via the group chat about it.

“Hey,” Sungwoo says to Chaera and she glances at him. He takes a seat beside her and looks to the stars. “Moon or stars?” he says suddenly and she looks at him, raises her eyebrows. He looks at her back. “Just asking,” he simply says and shrugs. “One, two, three.”

“Moon,” they say it at the same time. “Ooh, I don’t know that you’re a fan of moon,” she says and looks to the moon again.

“Yeah. Somehow it’s captivating,” he says and looks to the same thing as her.

“Yep, you’re right,” even though it’s not a full moon, it’s still beautiful for them. It’s breathtaking and the light it gives, it’s stunning. The stars are even seen around. “It makes you speechless, huh? The moon,” she says.

“It’s a beautiful creation,” Sungwoo says and Chaera nods. “It’s fun seeing at it for a long time. It reduces stress, you know?”

“Yeah,” she says and he looks at her. “I haven’t seen the moon properly like this. Glad that we’re going on a holiday,” she says and chuckles.

“Glad that I can have a normal conversation with you sometimes,” Sungwoo suddenly says and she looks at him, wonders what he’s going to say. “Even though you’re pretty annoying sometimes,” and he laughs a little.

She clicks her tongue. “Do you want me to beat you or what?” she says flatly. “I didn’t even think that you’re going to talk normally like this. Usually you’re crazy.”

“Is that a mock? Cause I heard it like that.”

“Whatever you heard,” and she smirks.

He looks at his watch and says, “The festival is started,” and Chaera looks at him. “Should we go now?” and she checks the others. Sungwoo does the same. They are still busy with their own activities, but Dowoon is done already with his jamming session. “Let’s make a bet.”

“What?” she furrows. She scoffs. “You’re not the type of person who makes a bet of something.”

“You’re not as well,” he says.

“Then, why suddenly?”

“Just for fun,” he grins. “It’s been a long time since we haven’t challenged each other.”

“Okay, you’re exaggerating,” she rolls her eyes and he just chuckles with that victory smile on him. “And you’re being cocky,” she’s a bit annoyed seeing that expression from him. It’s like she wants to so bad and makes his mood get down low. “Let’s make a bet.”

“Great,” he says and then Haneul comes to them. Sungwoo pays attention to him and his smile comes off. Both of them raise their head to look at him. “What is it, hyung?” he asks.

But Haneul says it with looking at Chaera’s first, then the thinking comes again to his mind. No, I shouldn’t have that kind of thought unless it has a proof. “Let’s go to the festival,” he says and Chaera stands up first, Sungwoo follows. Dowoon comes to them without being called. “Minhyun-a!” Haneul calls him whom is tidying the griller. Hareum is already waiting on the front with the parents. The customers start going out one by one from the guest house, even the owner.

It’s a culture night festival and there are f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter