Chapter 06

The Opposite of Solitude [REVAMP]

Once the door opened and Chanyeol's best friend was revealed, Baekhyun's mood immediately faltered. Why is Minseok at Chanyeol's house, and for how long have they been this close? The introvert had a hundred more burning questions to ask but decided to keep them to himself at the moment. Though he wanted Chanyeol to be his boyfriend, he didn't intend to invade his privacy and pry on the various connections of friends he had. He strongly believed that love should be based on trust.

After entering the apartment, Baekhyun's first impression of it was neat and well-organised—which honestly surprised him as it was Chanyeol’s house. It had a vintage feel: warm colours and flecked with wooden decor. Baekhyun and Minseok settled down on the couch, while Chanyeol busied himself in the kitchen, preparing some drinks for his visitor.

“Wow. After seeing you up close, you do look handsome and cute,” Minseok praised. 

Baekhyun scratched the back of his neck, nodding, and whispering a soft thank you. He was still shy when receiving compliments from strangers. He sort of hated talkative people as they were the ones who usually cross the boundary and ramble on and on, making him feel discomfort. However, Minseok was not that type of person. After seeing the introvert to be more on the soft and quiet side, hyperactive Minseok stopped talking and fished out his smartphone and browse the web.

“Xiumin. Don't ,” Chanyeol shouted from the kitchen. He clearly heard what his best friend said. 

“I’m not!” Minseok replied.

“I don’t see how calling someone ‘cute’ is not considered teasing,” Chanyeol said when he approached them with a glass of ice-cold water. He handed it to the introvert before naturally taking the spot beside Xiumin, sharing one couch.

Baekhyun would be lying if he said he wasn’t jealous at all. The two close friends were always seen together and have something to talk about. Thus, he kept quiet while the two best friends talk about their common topics, mostly criticising other teachers and the dreading lessons in school. 

Instead of saying that the introvert was completely left out, it was Baekhyun himself that didn't want to add on to the conversation. There were instances when Minseok asked for Baekhyun's opinion and whether would he like to chime in, but he shook his head, continuing to enjoy his solitude.

The two of them are always so close as usual! And why I am even here? Come on, Baekhyun, just say something random and join the conversation. Baekhyun thought. Being an introvert, he can't help but keep his mouth shut. Words didn’t naturally leave his mouth.

“You want to play Billiards tomorrow?” Chanyeol asked his best friend. 

Minseok pondered for a while.

“Let’s watch a movie!” Out of the blue, Baekhyun blurted. Both Chanyeol and Minseok looked at the former instantly with a curious expression. Wait, what? Byun Baekhyun, what nonsense are you uttering! You are not someone who pays to watch a movie at a theatre. And definitely not someone who likes to watch movies either. 

Sensing the sudden change in mood, Baekhyun apologised, “Um, sor—”

“No problem!” Minseok clapped his hand, excitement was evident. 

Baekhyun originally thought that his ‘no problem’ meant that an apology was not necessary. However, it was wrong. His ‘no problem’ meant that watching a movie wasn’t a problem

The cat-like human excitedly added on, “I've purchased a DVD earlier in the afternoon. Shall we watch it together then? It's the horror film, Annabelle: Creation!”

Mozzarella cheesecake, what have I done! The mention of ‘horror’ made Baekhyun’s face darken. He hated watching this genre ever since he became bullied. There were occasions where he dreamt of being attacked by a pack of werewolves after watching the movie Howl. Apart from that, wasn’t horror films targeted at couples? 

“I learnt something new today,” Chanyeol looked at the introvert. “I didn't know you are a movie person.”

An awkward laugh escaped Baekhyun’s lips. It’s absolutely false. He wanted to tell the truth, or even just leave right now, but energetic Minseok was already there closing the curtains and unwrapping the CD from the plastic wrapper. 

Chanyeol stood up and grabbed a handful of snacks from the kitchen, acting as a substitute for popcorn. All this while, Baekhyun remains seated, staring blankly at the two. God, just save me from this misery!

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun tried his very best to contain his emotions when the movie began playing. Heck, I don't want to be judged as a scaredy-cat and make a fool out of myself by screaming hysterically. He took furtive glances at the two other people sitting beside him. 

Chanyeol was hugging a square pillow and sometimes moved them up to cover his eyes when a scary scene approaches. From time to time, his deep voice echoed across the entire room, yelling when the horror scene plays. Minseok on the other hand was just there opening packets and packets of potato chips, not really engrossed in the movie. Looks like Minseok isn't a movie person either.

“Xiumin, stop crunching the chips so loudly,” Chanyeol hissed, a little annoyed. “Just enjoy the movie and stop acting as if you have not eaten lunch.”

Minseok retorted, “I can't help it. This is my third time watching the movie.”

Ignoring the bickering between the two best friends, Baekhyun concentrated his eyes at the glowing wall clock, wishing that time could fly faster. They were now half-way through the movie and he had yet to scream and embarrass himself. 

Minseok was already cuddling the blankets, dozing off, completely uninterested in the movie. The latter slept with his mouth open, showing his two front teeth that resembled a rabbit. From the dim lights, Baekhyun could see that Minseok’s eyebrows were beautiful and delicate. His fringe rested on his forehead gracefully, and hands hugged to a pillow. 

Concentrate on the movie, Baekhyun! And your boyfriend is Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol, not Kim Minseok! He secretly took a glance at Chanyeol this time around. His eyes were still wide open and eyes glued to the screen. Did he even eat snacks? He was too immersed in the movie. 

Feeling a little cold just then, the introvert shuffled the area, intending to finding a blanket to warm himself up.

“What the flying ,” Baekhyun screamed as he felt a cold touch on his elbow. Oh . Did I just… curse out loud? He covered his mouth, in shock. I freaking thought Annabelle, the scary little doll in the movie, literally popped out from the screen, caressing my elbow, but to my relief, it was only Chanyeol. 

Chanyeol blinked a few times and gave an apologetic look. He quickly removed his hands from Baekhyun’s shoulder and mumbled. “O-oh sorry for holding you suddenly. That part was quite scary.” He then hissed softly—too soft the introvert to hear, “I didn’t know you are capable of cursing. Thats something new”

Baekhyun simply nodded, as if nothing happened. He quickly directed his eyes away and continued to shuffle the area to find that piece of wool to warm himself up. The room was too cold for his liking.

The scene got even scarier. The sound became even eerie and creepy. It then reached to an extremely high-pitched sound effect, causing Baekhyun’s heart to race tenfold. He stole a quick glance at the television but regretted: Anabelle’s face filled the entire screen. Blood dripped from her pale blue eyes, and her lips curved to a ghoulish smile.

The scene caused Baekhyun to scream once more, but this time around, ten octaves higher, similar to a dying whale—an ‘ugly’ and unpleasant one. His heart and body were not mentally prepared for that scare. His hands trembled and diverted his eyes away from the screen. It was at that moment he felt someone touching him. His boyfriend.

Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s shaking hands and pulled the latter to his side. That pull was strong—strong enough to send Baekhyun who was two metres away—right to Chanyeol’s lap. With his eyes now opened, it locked gaze with Chanyeol’s dark brown ones. A few strands of hair touched his eyebrows. 

The introvert’s head was on his boyfriend’s thigh and his legs stretched out across the sofa. His hands perched on his chest, trying to steady the rapid heartbeat. The Wilhelm sound effect played once more, and instinctively, Baekhyun moved his head closer to Chanyeol’s body and cuddled his legs like a furball. He felt warm. Chanyeol’s body was warm, like a walking flame. 

He could still feel Chanyeol’s gaze on him, but he tried his very best to ignore it. Then, he felt a pair of hands on his shoulder, caressing it gently. Baekhyun did not say anything but the message was clear: Park Chanyeol is protecting this puppy. It made the introvert squeal in happiness. Slowly, Baekhyun opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw was Chanyeol’s chin. It was evident that his boyfriend was now concentrated on the movie. Baekhyun craned his neck back to the screen. If he continued to stare at his boyfriend, his heart would explode and blood would ooze out from his nose—maybe that’s too much of a stretch, but anyway...

It was all rainbows and marshmallows till the introvert realised something: his head was still resting on his lap. Now how am I going to get out of this awkward position? Not that I hated resting on his lap, but I didn't want to bother Chanyeol who is so concentrated in the film. 

Baekhyun slowly stretched his legs and scuffled the sofa sheets trying to grab Chanyeol’s attention. It was no good. It was not making much sounds. How am I going to get Chanyeol’s to look at me? He placed both hands forward, like a walking zombie, but that stupid Chanyoke remains engrossed and was not even bothered by the former’s actions. 

Look at me, Park Chanyeol! Baekhyun wanted to yell. Or maybe, just maybe, he was ignoring me as he wanted me to remain in this position. Just the thought made Baekhyun a little happier.

Minutes later, the scene got lively and uplifting. Children were playing at the playground in broad daylight. Now’s my chance! Baekhyun groaned and slowly lifted his head from his thigh. 

“Odihdasckjsn” Baekhyun opened his mouth and spout a string of nonsense, making a sound to reduce the awkwardness. But, Chanyeol touched his head—more of ruffling it—and pushed it back to his lap. 

Surprised by his actions, Baekhyun looked at him once more, like a lost puppy. This time around, Chanyeol locked eye contact with his boyfriend and smiled. “Let's watch the movie together. I know you are scared.”

Aww… The sweet voice accompanied by that sweet smile hit all of the introvert’s soft spots. What a King. And I was right! He liked my head lying on his lap as much as I enjoy doing so. 

Baekhyun chuckled. Just the thought of remaining in this position was definitely by sheer luck. His head continued to rest on Chanyeol's lap and he continued watching the movie to the end. Nonetheless, halfway through the movie, he slept. Well, I got to admit... his thighs are so damn comfortable, and the cool temperature plus the cosy sofa sheets took me to wonderland. And my dream is all clouded with that man whom I have a crush on. Perhaps, I felt him tapping my shoulder, just like how a mum would do to her child to put him to sleep.

Sleeping had never felt this easy before.