Chapter 02

The Opposite of Solitude [REVAMP]

Chanyeol was lost for words. He never expected Baekhyun to make such an unusual request. Awkwardness lingered in the air—or perhaps it was only Chanyeol who felt super awkward, while Baekhyun remained relaxed and confident. 

He didn’t know how to respond. Chanyeol just stood there, nonplussed. His eyes blinked far more than normal as he stared at Baekhyun. After a moment of silence, Chanyeol asked, “What... kind of l-lover do I need to become?” 

It was now Baekhyun’s turn to stare blankly. He had no idea what Chanyeol meant. He opened his lips but then closed it after a short while. Chanyeol’s reply had stunned the latter. He expected his answer to be either an ‘okay’ or ‘not okay’—simple and straight to the point. 

Chanyeol now felt more awkward than ever. , is what I said wrong? Do I need to rephrase my question? Should I change the subject? He swallowed a lump of saliva in his throat, and eyes fixated on the ground before he said, “But… I am a g-guy.” 

The comment only made Baekhyun sigh. He now took the next move by placing his hand on Chanyeol’s chin, daring him to see eye to eye. “I am a guy too,” Baekhyun said and continued, “What’s wrong with one guy asking another to be his boyfriend?”

Chanyeol was never placed in such a situation before. Throughout his entire life, he had received proposals from students—heck even strangers—before, but this was the first time a guy approached him. Baekhyun, who everyone knew was an introvert in campus, had hardly held conversations with Chanyeol. That further shocked him. 

“Don’t tell me, you are gay?” Chanyeol blurted.

Baekhyun heaved a second sigh. This time around, he cupped Chanyeol’s cheeks and gave a light squeeze. He then moved his lips closer to the latter’s face, as if wanting to land a kiss. 

Due to Baekhyun’s bold action, Chanyeol almost jumped by the sudden interaction. They were close to one another—even hearing and feeling the sound of each other’s breathing. The light shampoo that they both used when showering was also discernible in this proximity. 

With a serious look, Baekhyun said, “Do you want to accept it or not? I will reward you with easy cash.” Sensing no reply from Chanyeol, Baekhyun gave up. “Give me a reply in class today. We are now very late for school.” He then carried his backpack and fled from the scene.

Chanyeol stay rooted on the ground, catching the glimpse of Baekhyun’s silhouette. What the happened just now? Why is my heart beating so fast? Don’t tell me, it was love at first sight? no. He’s a guy, and I was never once interested in that introvert before. Relax Park Chanyeol, that weirdo might just be joking. Don't take it too seriously! 

“Oh my god. It’s late. Really late!” Chanyeol said after he checked the time. But how is Baekhyun going to school? Focus, Park Chanyeol! Stop thinking of that introvert. Getting your to school is more important now. 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol slid the classroom door with a heavy heart. He got grounded by the school’s disciplinary committee for being 30 minutes late for class. With a dull expression, he went to his seat, but a jubilant Minseok cheered him up.

“Chanyeollie, why are you late for class? You should have told me that you are coming late, so I could sleep…,” Minseok—who sat next to Chanyeol and his best friend—said.

“How many times have I told you to stop calling me by that name, Xiumin? I’m Chanyeol, not Chanyeollie or whatever you call it,” Chanyeol said.

“Why? I find Chanyeollie cuter,” Minseok joked. “Or should I call you Yeollie? Or Wall-E? Wait, if I call you Wall-E, it means you are a robot. Why not I call you robot man, or tall robot, or handsome robot—”

Chanyeol sighed and banged his head on the table twice. Minseok always called him ‘Chanyeollie’ since they were elementary school friends. He did not mind back when he was young, but as he grew up, he found it a bit childish. Minseok being Minseok, still couldn’t stop his bad habits and loved to joke around.

 

 

 

 

 

It was now break period. Whilst resting, that morning’s conversation with Baekhyun crossed his mind. He then decided to seek opinions from his best friend, though not expecting any decent or logical answers.

“Hey… I do not know whether is it awkward but…, have you ever dated someone?” 

“Why?” Minseok asked. 

“It’s just…, someone asked me out, yeah.” Chanyeol couldn’t believe he said it. 

“Really? Did someone ask you out? Aren't you used to the different proposals by now?” Minseok replied. “Don’t tell me, this time around she’s more pretty?” He raised his eyebrows, teasing his friend. 

Even Minseok thought it was a woman. I guess having a relationship with someone of the same gender is rare. 

“Stop sighing! It is making me tired,” Minseok comments. “Perhaps the girl has big s… or is she taller than you? Wait, this means she will be a giant.”

Grunting, Chanyeol stood from his seat and walked away, letting his friend continue to spout absolute rubbish. He still didn't know how to respond to Baekhyun’s request, and his best friend wasn’t of much help either. He became nervous and hoped that Baekhyun would never show up anytime soon. He needed more time to consider. Becoming someone else’s boyfriend was new to him. He didn’t even know what to expect.

“Wait for me…! Yah! Where are you going!” Minseok screamed across the canteen.

Gosh, I don't know him. He is making a fool of himself, as usual... Chanyeol went back to class, not looking back. 

 

 

 

 

 

The school bell tinkled, signalling the end of the lesson. The entire class dispersed within minutes. Some left for a date with their beloved partners, while others prepared for their part-time jobs. Even Minseok left the room after a quick ‘goodbye’ as he needed to be at home, babysitting his younger sister. Though most of the students were delighted, Chanyeol wasn't because that dreadful punishment awaited him.

He got up from his chair lethargically and arrived at Sofitel Garden to begin his cleaning duties. The institution had a spacious garden for students to chill and relax. The air was extremely clean and fresh, but rubbish littered everywhere. With a black trash bag in hand, he picked up the litter as that was his punishment for being late. 

“What the , who’s there,” Chanyeol cursed when someone tapped on his back. One of his biggest pet peeves was people scaring him from behind. He didn’t even hear footsteps.

“Oh, you cursed once more.” 

It’s Baekhyun. Chanyeol froze, not knowing what to do or say. “Err, what are you doing here?” Chanyeol asked out of curiosity. 

“I am grounded too—duh,” Baekhyun replied, holding a similar trash bag in his hands. “Have you thought of an answer?”

, Chanyeol cursed in his head. After a long pause, he then declared, “I accept your request, to be your boyfriend.” , just accept his request for now. I mean, it shouldn’t be too difficult, right? What do you think a shy and quiet guy will ask me to do? I’m just going to follow his orders and get myself paid for it. And if it’s too absurd or illegal, I will just avoid him for the rest of my life. That was everything Chanyeol had in mind. 

Baekhyun gave a sheepish smile and nodded his head in approval after he heard Chanyeol’s response. He then said in a cheeky voice, “Alright then, if you hug me right now, I will give you $200.”

“What?” Chanyeol was dumbfounded.

“In cash,” Baekhyun added. “The money is with me now.”