Chapter 05

The Opposite of Solitude [REVAMP]

The duo stared blankly while Bobby continued to approach them. Though Chanyeol considered himself as an extrovert, he did not have the courage to step up and talk things out. This was one of the rare occasions when he was into such a situation. He had never experienced being bullied before because of his overprotective parents. 

Chanyeol constantly exchanged eye contact with Baekhyun, not knowing how to react in this situation. But Baekhyun remained frozen in his seat and even stopped chewing his food. 

“Baek, do something! I thought you are not afraid of him?” Chanyeol whispered. Baekhyun shivered, too terrified even to move or talk. “Byun Baekhyun, I expect you to be braver than this. Didn't you act as if nothing happened when he hit you a few days ago?” 

As still as a statue, Baekhyun looked straight; he is on the verge of fainting. 

“Don't tell me, I am the main character now?” Chanyeol thought. He glanced to his surroundings—no bystander was around. , calling for help is not an option right now. Oh yeah, I can call the store owners for help! 

Chanyeol straightened his back, trying to use 186cm as an advantage to scare off the bully. Actually, the bully seemed short—like really short, probably the same height as Chanyeol when he was nine. Apart from straightening his posture, Chanyeol had his lips pursed and eyes squinted, trying his very best to look like a badass. With a stern voice, Chanyeol warned, “Leave us alone.”

Though he felt that he had done a marvellous job, it however, did not even intimidate Bobby. The bully laughed, the cocky and arrogant kind of laugh. “You're asking me, the Great Bobby to leave?” In a defying manner, the bully continued to draw nearer to the both of them. He completely ignored the tall giant and went after Baekhyun instead. “Now, my sweet Baekhyunee, where's your pocket money?”

The introvert did not even move an inch. He was too scared as if paralysed by lightning. He opened his mouth to speak, but only soft mumbles escaped his lips. Baekhyun placed his trembling hands on his lap, needing someone to comfort him. Though he seemed to pretend that he wasn’t affected by the bullies at all; in reality, they were false.

For the past four months, Baekhyun constantly lived his life in fear. He was always wary of his surroundings and didn’t even leave the house after 8pm. Every day after school, he would take a cab to rush back home, but today was different as Chanyeol—his boyfriend—kindly invited him out for lunch. His fear soon evolved into a trauma. The flashbacks of the terrifying traumatic experiences came back to him. Now, he was totally lost in his thoughts. 

Chanyeol was observing the whole time. Baekhyun had been ‘defeated’, and the only person he could trust was me. Though it was burdensome, he needed to at least think of a solution to get his boyfriend out of here—safe and sound. Mustering his courage, Chanyeol daringly asked, “Why are you always bullying—” 

Before he could finish his sentence, Bobby intercepted. “Of course to steal his money because I’m out of allowance for this week.” He smiled like a Cheshire cat.

Chanyeol was furious. He had no idea what motivated him to do it: then at there, he curled his fists and landed a punch straight to Bobby’s face. The bully stumbled backwards and hit against the opposite chairs after the huge impact. Whats on Bobby's mind? Is he even a human? Bullying is wrong, wrong to a substantial extent. 

Baekhyun was the first to react. He immediately stood up from his seat and rushed behind Chanyeol. He saw Bobby on the ground, screaming in excruciating pain. The punch was harder than it looked. Dark red blood trickled just beneath his right eye. But no matter how hard the punch was, it could not compare to a bully’s trained body. 

Slowly, Chanyeol raised his trembling hands. Ever since he was born, he had never physically assaulted someone. No matter how terrible and agitated he felt, he had believed in the ‘fighting is never the solution’ mindset. 

Just then, a lady screamed at the top of her lungs. “There’s a fight! Someone call the security!”

Chanyeol ignored the gathering crowd as store owners left their stalls and entered the scene. He cocked his head and stared directly at Bobby. “Baekhyun is never a toy for you to play with. You better remember that.” Pointing a middle finger, he mouthed, “Bye, er!”

He then held Baekhyun’s shivering hands tightly and ran. The duo left the food on the table and escaped the building, moving onto the main road. He called a cab when he saw one zooming by and fled away from the scene. 

Baekhyun was still appalled by what had just happened—Bobby coming to cause trouble and the main highlight: his brave boyfriend showed who’s boss by punching him in the face.

 

 

 

 

 

The cab was taking them to the location Chanyeol given earlier on. Baekhyun had no idea where that was, but he didn't intend to ask too. This was because, seated beside him was Chanyeol, who had his eyes fixated out of the window. Mimicking his actions, Baekhyun did the same. They both looked outside, having their own little worlds to themselves. 

It had been two hours since they both left school, but they were not tired at all. Baekhyun was the type of student to revise for his examinations till dinner, while once Chanyeol gets back home, he does all the random things—from sleeping to watching movies to playing game consoles. 

After around fifteen minutes from picking up the duo from the food court, the vehicle then came to a halt. 

“We arrived,” the cabbie said. Chanyeol thanked him and paid for the fare. On the other hand, Baekhyun had a dumbfounded expression. He looked outside the window, completely lost. 

Chanyeol quickly exited from the cab and helped to open the opposite door where the introvert was still sitting, treating him like a celebrity. He proudly introduces, “Welcome to my neighbourhood!”

The visitor gasped. Baekhyun was going to his boyfriend’s house? His face contorted in confusion and mixed with a tinge of worry. He wanted to excuse himself in a polite manner. But thought nothing of it as he realised it was too rude for him to leave, after being brought all the way down to the parking lot and what Chanyeol did earlier on.

Baekhyun sheepishly followed Chanyeol’s footsteps as they ascended the elevator. Apparently, Chanyeol’s apartment was the second unit from the elevator. They now stood in front of the closed door and the owner knocked on it frantically. 

“Open the door, I'm home,” Chanyeol said. Baekhyun stared at him in disbelief. Why does he even not have the keys to his house? Is that even possible?Chanyeol then faced the surprised introvert. “I left my keys in school, but don't worry, someone is at home!”

Exactly fifteen seconds later, a boy in a comfortable house tee, opened the door. “You are back Chanye...” His tone changed from happy and welcoming, to being astonished and dumbfounded. It was prankster Minseok at the door.