Rejection is an opportunity for your selection (Seulgi)

A CHAPTER ON MY YOUTH

"Oh, okay. Then see you later! Fighting! " I said to Wendy as she will go to Yoongi’s oppa apartement. She smiled back at me and I waved to her before I turn around and walking to the campus.

Today the wheather is not so bad. A little bit chilly but not that cold like before. Or maybe its because I still dress up with so much layer today. Hahaha.

Ah, March means we will get to see all the cherry blosoms bloom beautifully every where in Seoul. I smiled as remembered our last picnic in a park full of cherry blosoms with the grils. What a nice memories. I hope this year we can come to there again.

As I entered my departement areas, there is alot of people that I recognize. Whether its my sunbaenim, my same years friends, or even all the juniors. For the last ones, I just greet them back while flashing a smile because I dont really know them yet. I just know a few of them. So when they all greet me and seems to know me I’m just a bit speechless.

“Waoow, youre as popular as ever, Seul! “ I felt a tap on my right shoulder. I turn and see a tall girl with colourful hair smiled at me. Her round big earing moving right and left as she moved.

“Ah, Moonbyul unnie! “ I said while giving her a hug. “Long time no see... I miss you, “ I said cutely.

“Ya, ya, yah! What are you doing early in the morning? All the male student will jealous of me because Miss Perfect Kang hugs me, “ She joked.

“Unnie! Stop with the ‘Perfect Kang’ Joke! You know that I hated it! “ I pouted.

“Arraseo, sweety, dont be mad early in the morning, hummh? Your luck will go away! “ She said while pinching my cheek.

“So how’s your holiday? Something good happend? “ She smirk.

I shake my head. “More like a horrible vacation ever, unnie. “ I say sadly. We now walk side by side to our first class this morning.

“Huh? What happend? “

“Nothing. Just some bad thing, “ I said, hestitated to talk.

“Honey, let me give you some lecture here. A break is supposed to be spend happily. If you spend your break horribely it will affect your college’s life for a year. You should get a lot of energy and happiness on our break so that you can survive the depressing one year of university’s life! “ She explained.

I laughed frantically hearing that. Moonbyul unnies is the best when come to entertain people. Somehow I’m feeling better now by her side. All the negativity that I thought this morning suddenly go away. Yes I need to be more positive. This is the new semester. The new begining. I also have a lot of friends who I can depend on. Why should I be depressed for just a boy?! My life is more than that!

“Unnie~ become my guardian angel this years! Give me some guidance and positive energy! I think I lack of it because of my horrible break! Teach me a way sensei! “ I said while leaning closer to her.

She laughed. “Arreseo! Become my pupil and you shall see the light of happines this year! “ And then we both laughed together.

---

“Okay class ended, “ Said Mr. Kim, our professor, when the clock on the wall screaming its 4 pm now. “I hope you all will more excited to study this years! Second year is when all the fun begin! “

“YES SIRR!!! “ All the student shouted. The professor laughed hearing that. “Okay you all can go first. “ He said. All the student then moved from their sit---excitedly come out from the last class for this day. “AH! “ Mr. Kim said suddenly. And the student freezed in their movement. “I forgot! Miss Kang Seulgi and Miss Park Jihyo, please come to my office after class. “

 

“What do you think Mr. kang want from me? “ I asked Moonbyul confusedly. “Did I do something wrong last semester? “

Moonbyul shake her head.. “Of course not. You are the teacher favorite! I bet you will get some reward or something. And Jihyo also come! She is the most diligent student in our class! “

“Really? Hum, I hope so,” I said.

“Come on, just lets go. “ Moonbyul said. “Ah, I forget about her! “ She added while pointing at a girl that sit in my right side.

“Waow... she really can sleep so well everywhere. She literally sleeps from the start until the end of the class, unnie, “ I said amazed.

“Its not some thing you should be amazed at, seul! “ Moonbyul said. “Hey, YooA, wake up! Class already ended! “

The girl moved her small head a little so that her beautiful face can be seen. She is a beautiful girl that has a big round eyes, small lips and nose, and a really fair skin. She looks just like a doll.

“Ugh, what? It ended already? We can go home? “ She said while rubbing her eyes.

“Yes, sleepy head! “ Moonbyul said. “Come on, it is just us in here, “

“Umh, okay, okay unnie~ “

---

"Ah, I'm headed here," I say as we're in the campus hallway. "I have to see Mr. Kim in his office. You guys can go home first, hehe, see you later in the dorm ~ "I added with a smile.

Moonbyul nodded. "Okay, see you on the dorm, seul. Be careful on your way home, okay? And be careful with that old man too! Ha ha ha ha, "

"Yes, unnie! "I laughed.

"Huh? What? You are going to Mr. Kim’s office, unnie, but why? "YooA suddenly asked.

"I dont know why but since he asked me to come so I'm going of course," I explained to her.

"So that is way YooA, you should listen in class, do not just sleep. You’ll miss all the information, "Moonbyul said.

"Unnie ~ Why ~ I'm so sleepy hearing his voice after not for almost 3 months," YooA said while pouting. Moonbyul can only shake her head to see the girl's cute behavior.

"Okay then, see yaa! I need to hurry up before late, "I said, waving at them.
 

---


I jogged along the hallways, hoping no lecturers or staff caught me because if I did I would have been scolded. Taking a deep breath, I finally reached  Mr. Kim's office.

Thank goodness I do not seem to be late. In front of the office, a girl with round glasses and braided hair already waiting in there. "Jihyo! " I call her still breathless. I hold my stomach. My breathing is still irregular. "Ah, Seulgi! " She replied, looking at me in surprise.


"Ah, hahahaha, thanks God I'm not late," I exclaimed with a small laugh. "He has not come yet? "I asked, nodding toward the office door. Jihyo shook her head. Ah, Jihyo always talks a little. Even though I had known her for a year as a classmate, I was not too close to her yet. It's a shame, I really want to know her more. She seems to be a hard worker and a sincere person.

Before I could say anything more, a voice startled both of us. "Ah, you two have come? Great, let's go inside! "We both nodded and followed him into his office. I looked around the room and was quite amazed to see that his office had changed 180 degrees since she'd been here-yes, precisely before the winter break.

"Come on, come on, sit down the two of you," he said after he managed to sit in the big chair behind the table full of beautiful ornaments. I glance at Jihyo and then sit on one of the two chairs in front of the table.

"Well, good, good. "He said when he saw us sitting down. Trying to be as comfortable as we can. "So are you wondering why I invited you here? "The man asked us, smiling broadly. With his thick white beard, he gives the impression of a Santa who with his big smile ready to share many gifts. 'Will both of us get a prize? 'I asked jokingly to myself.

We both shook our heads. "No, sir," we both answered almost simultaneously.

"Hahaha, of course not, eh? "He said laughing happily. I frowned. This one Mr. Kim is different from the others. He is too unique.

"So, I'll give you an exciting announcement. There will be a scholarship program for student exchange for one year with University College London. That's one awesome university for Art and Design major in London, "he exclaimed excitedly. I also heard a loud breath from the chair next to me. Ah, it seems that Jihyo is just as excited as Mr. Kim. "The program will run from September this year and we will send one person to represent the campus. This is a new collaboration with University College London, so this program is an experiment for further cooperation. So I gave you both a chance, Miss Kang Seulgi? And Miss Park Jihyo? As you are top two in your class, I offer you a chance to join this program. I will judge you and decide who will follow the program by looking at your performance in this semester. So I hope you guys will be more passionate this semester after knowing that there will be rewards if you can get through it brilliantly. "
---

Soon we were both outside Mr. Kim's office. I sighed. At least not something bad, I told myself.
"Hahaha, I thought it would be something bad, thankfully it's just a scholarship programs," I said, opening the conversation to the girl next to me.

Jihyo nodded. "I also wonder why he called us here. But what a nice suprise, right? "Replied Jihyo excitedly. His eyes shone brightly. It seemed like the news was like a gift that suddenly fell off from sky for her. I can only nod as I smile at her. To be honest I was not too interested in the program. But how could I be a party pooper at the moment.

"Hehehe, let's fight together! Hope the best can get the scholarship! "She said, extending her right hand. I glanced at it for a moment-was impressed with Jihyo's attitude-and shook her hand.

"Hahaha, sure," I say loudly.

 

 After that we both part away because Jihyo will go to the campus library while I headed to the campus dormitory. I walked through the campus halls while enjoying the campus in the afternoon.

It was the first day of the semester so there were still not many students hanging around the campus at this hour. The university clubs are still not operating normally. So it is reasonable when the current campus was still quiet. Students must be comfortably relaxing in their dorms or even having fun traveling outside with their dorm friends --- of course while exchanging holiday stories. A musical voice rolling out of my bag made me gasp.

Hahaha, why am I so easily startled like this? I asked myself, laughing at myself. I reach for my phone and see YooA's name on the screen. Huh? Why is she calling me? I thought.

"Hello, YooA? Hum, yes, I've done here ... what? Oh, no, I do not see our Kakao group yet. Oh, okay, okay ... now, right? Alright, see you ~ "I disconnected the call and immediately checked my kakaotalk. "Oh My," I say when I see the notification. It turned out the members of my dance club was busy discussing the meeting that will be held this afternoon in kakaotalk’s group.

Hum, okey then, its time to go to the meetings then, I say finally, while changing my way towards the club building.

---

 

The air in March is still cold. Just today I go to college still wearing thick clothes. A black jeans, a gray turtleneck sweater, and a black long coat. Okay, maybe I'm covered to much but for me it is still cold outside. I cant stand cold really well. 

I entered the university club building. There are lots of rooms and my club room is on the second floor. I climbed the stairs in a hurry-feeling that I was too late. Fortunately this is the first day of the semester so the club has not started the activity and consequently this building is not as busy as usual.

As I turned after climbing the stairs, I accidentally hit a body. That figure seemed to be going down the stairs and not seeing me turning. We collide, I stumble to the side and the folder in my hand drops so that the contents are scattered. Oh My God! I cried silently while restoring my balance. I immediately looked down to pick up my fallen folder but the figure that hit me had already cleared it up. I looked at the figure who quickly loaded all the paper scattered into the folder. 'At least he was kind enough to help me,' I said.

The figure then stood, the folder in his hand and he handed it to me. "AH, I'm so sorry, I did not see you," he apologized sincerely. His voice sounded deep but there was a childish tone in it. Ah, wait, I knew him. "Here is your folder. Are you ok --- "Suddenly he stopped talking when he finally looked at my face. The look on his face changed in a fraction of a second. The hospitality quickly disappeared into a cold, flat expression. Huh? What happend? Is something wrong? I asked myself. I grabbed the folder which he gave me and smiled at him.

"Ah, Thank you. And it is okay, I'm also at my fault. Are you o --- "Before I finished my speech, the man in front of me had cut me by murmuring quietly --- either for me or for his self, I do not know.

"Ah, I need to go, " And then he ran down the stairs - just pass me by like that.

I stood there looking at his back that disappeared for 30 seconds in astonishment. What's wrong with him? I asked silently, shaking my head. I squeezed the folder in my hand. Recalling his goodness to tidy up the papers. "He should not be that bad,"I muttered for myself.

 ---

 

"Why did it take you so long to come here, unnie? "YooA protests to me when finally I've entered my club room.

"Hehehe ... just me being slow," I say with a grin. She gave me a look of disbelief. But before she could say anything else, Eunhyuk sunbaenim --- the elder in our dance club has cut it with an announcement. "So, as we've already discussed. For the problem of admission of new members, we will determine the limits of the people we recruit, the way of course with auditions. Well, anyone who wants to be the judge of this audition please sign up to our beautiful secretary --- Sunny. "Eunhyuk explained, pointing at a blond short haired with big s woman sitting in the corner smiling flirtatiously. "Well, she is beautiful and y- "he continued and getting a loud cheers by other members because of that. "Okay, okay, I know you guys love me, but lets continue... We will also hand over the task to hold a welcoming party to the juniors, okay? It is time for you guys to start being active! "

" Ugh! Another hardwork to do! "YooA complained. I wanted to react to her words but then there is an incoming call on my cell phone. I am shocked to find Jongin name in my cell phone screen.

"Oooo ~ your sweet handsome and y best friend calling you, unnie ~ hehehe," YooA teased me with a smirk on her face. If only YooA knew that all her fantasies about me and Jongin would never come true. How sad.

I raised my hand and asked Eunhyuk's permission to pick up the phone outside. After he nodded, I walked out.

"Hello? "I started. The voice at the other end sounded surprised when I answered the call. Ah, he certainly did not expect me to answer his call. I'd ignored his call and text since winter break. He asks me question now. "Um, in my club ... dance club, why? ... Huh? You'll come? But why? ... Uh, okay, okay ... no, its just a meeting, yeah ... I dont know. Okay, sure, I'll wait for you! Yeah, yeah, hmm, byee, "

I closed the call and stood pensively in front of my club door for some time. I must be strong, stronger! I told myself, cheered myself. But that's hard! I whined. Just when I heard his voice I was still trembling, how about when I have to meet him? Am I going to faint? Oh My God Kang Seulgi! You should keep yourself together! Be yourself! Act like what you always do around him! He is nothing more than your friend now. Just like Joohyun unnie said, I need to deal with it as soon as possible. Thats right! Meeting Jongin this time will be my way of accepting my unrequited love and continue my moving on process.

"Uh? Are you okay? "Suddenly, I heard a voice asking. I looked up and find a man with mint hair looking at me worriedly. Ah? I must have stood there for too long to make people worried about me.

"Ah, I'm okay, "I replied as I smiled.

"Ah, thanks God, then! "He exclaimed. "AH! No, I mean, I thought you're sick or something ... "he added later as he explained - he looked embarrassed

"Aahhh, it's okay. I'm not sick, just a little bit shocked about something... a little hehe ... thanks for worrying ... " He nodded, looks relieved.

 And then there is a voice calling that man named. "Jimin-ah !! "

Me and the man in front of me turned and found a tall, handsome man looked at us both. Ah, it was the guy who had collided with me in front of the stairs. Jimin looked surprised when he saw the man --- he was like a thief who was caught stealing. He returned taehyung’s gaze and turned to me to say goodbye.

"Okay, thank you, Jimin," I said.

"Hahaha, sure," he replied.

"No, not just because earlier ... but also thank you for helping me in the last winter stage. I forgot my choreo and you kindly helped me."

Jimin stood there looking at me for a few seconds. He opened his mouth, then closed it again. So many times that I’m actually thinking what is he going to tell me that make him so anxious like that. But then, he finally decided to swallow all the words he wanted to say and just smiled and nodded.

--

 

When I returned, the other members of my club were getting ready to go home. I come over to YooA who is also prepared to go home. I patted her on the back and she turned back.

"Let's go home. The meeting is over. She said.

"Uhh, can you please wait for me a bit, YooA? "

"Huh? Why? You wont go home, unnie? "I nodded.

"Jongin will come here in a second. I can not leave now. "

"Oh, okay then. You want me to accompany you waiting for him? "

" Yes, and I'll go home with you after that, dont worry, "

" Uh, but why? You wont go home with Jongin-oppa? You usually do. "

" Well, I wont. He ... he probably has something to do so I'm not planning going back with him. So, please dont go home yet? "

" Arraseo ... okay unnie. "She said to me with a smile. I smiled back and give her a hug of gratitude.

"You are the best !! "

Actually I ask YooA to accompany me is as my fortress when I meet Jongin. I was determined to act as usual. But we do not know what our hearts will do next, so a precaution must be done, and in this case is YooA.

For a few moments YooA and I talk to each other about many things while awaiting the arrival of Jongin. Both of us mainly talked about our vacation. I told her about my holidays in Japan. About how I spend a few days at one of the top ski resorts in Hokkaido, Rusutsu.

 A few minutes later I go to the toliet. When the weather is still cold like this somehow I often back and forth to toilet. The toilet on the second floor lies somewhat about two rooms away from my club room. It is the only toilet on the second floor and consisted of a men's and women's restroom. I walk to the toilet.

After finishing my business there, I go back to my club room. Inwardly wondering why Jongin has not arrived yet. I walk around while playing the watch I had just wear off while I washed my hands. I swirl the watch through my fingers quickly-a game that I often do on every circular object, like a ring, a bracelet, a necklace, or a watch. I did not think that when I was busy playing and humming a song, the watch came loose from my fingers and thrown upward --- then snagged right on top of a tall rack left outside by the theater club.

"Argh! " I feel like an adult who acts like a child and is being caught-really embarrassing. Then, I thinking fastly to find a way to get my watch back. I looked around-no long objects I could use to grab the watch. Then I noticed a small wooden bench lying nearby. I picked it up and climbed it up-hope this way I can reach it. I stood on my toes so my fingers could touch my watch --- while I was concentrating, a figure was caught in my gaze. Taehyung passed me with a glance at me. But he does not say anything, his face remain cool and flat as he showed me earlier. I'm glad he did not laugh at me in this position. He does not even care, thank goodness!

As taehyung continued his walk towards the toilet, I refocus on my effort. "Okay, I can do it! I just need to jump a little and reach it! One, two, three !! " And I jumped. But unfortunately, not only was the clock untouched, but the side of my sweater caught on a nail. Oh My God! I panicked when I found out I could not reach the nail to remove it. Also when I move a little, I feel the nail will tear my sweater. Huhu, what a bad situation!

That's when Taehyung who came back from the toilet walks towards me. I looked at him happily. My helper! I cried to myself. "Hey! Excuse me! Hey! Can you help me, please? "I shouted at him from above. But he does not seem to hear me. He continues on his way and passed me. "HEY !! HALOO !! Help me please! I'm stuck in here! My sweater got caught on the nail! "This time panicked because taehyung gave no sign of listening to me. Seriously! What's wrong with that guy? I asked resentfully. "Hey! Are you ignoring me? I need help here! "I shouted as he walked away.

Suddenly he turned and said, "I'll get someone to help you! "While turning again and waving.

I stared back in disbelief. Why should he find someone else to help me? Can not he help me instead? I asked inwardly. "Hey, you can just help me! Why do you need to wasting time and --- AHHHHH !! "Because I was too excited or maybe because I was too upset with him, my whole body shook with anger, and as a result I forgot to balance myself on the little wooden bench --- I slipped and fell. God! I cried to myself.

As I slumped, as if in a slower version of the play, I see a figure of Jongin running towards me --- huh? Jongin? Did I dream? -I also see taehyung turn around --- there is a shock on his face.

Bruk! A voice that appeared when I fell and landed in Jongin's arms. "Are you okay, seul? "Asked Jongin frantically, looking at me who was in his arms. I was startled-I was not dreaming it was Jongin.

"Uh, I-I'm okay," I muttered.

"Oh my, thanks god. I'm so shocked by watching you fall! "He said relieved while my hair.

 I realized immediately that now I am in his arms. I immidiately shoved him and get out from his wrapped.

“I’m okay, jongin," I said as I stand up.

"Uh, WAIT! "Suddelny he shouted at me.

I was surprised to hear it. But then he took off the black jacket he was using and put it on me. "Uh, what for? "I asked confusedly.

"Just wear it! "He told me as he put the jacket on. "Your sweater is torn," he added later, nodding toward my back. Apparently due to the nail, my sweater ripped very wide --- from the right shoulder to the lower back, and show the back of my black bra and a little bit of my skin. I looked down in embarrassment. My face is like a boiled crab now.

"Ah, sorry,

"Hahaha, what are you sorry for? Silly, "he said.

I stopped him raising the zipper on the jacket. He looked at me in surprise. "I can do it my self," I say uncomfortably. Especially when I find a few people staring at us. Uh Oh, not good, not good.

He laughed and try to my hair again, but I back off and turn around. When I turned around, my eyes catch Taehyung’eyes. We looked at each other for a mili second before he turned and walked back to the modern dance room --- where in front of the room door there was Jimin who also looked at me. I smiled at him, but before I could see his reaction, YooA's noisy voice came up to me.

"Oh My God, unnie! What happen with you? Are you hurt? "

---

 

" I give it back to you, Jongin. "

" Huh, why? Just wear it home and give back to me later, "

" No, I have my coat here, look! "I explained, showing me my long black coat that I had put in the club cabinet.

"Okay, then," said Jongin as he grabbed his jacket that I handed out.

"So, what are you want to talk about? "I asked him.

"Uh? Can we talk in private? "He said. He then turned to YooA. "Sorry, but can I take Seulgi’s home? "

" Hey! What are you doing! YooA already companied me while waiting for you. I'm going home with her. "I protest.

" Ah, its okay, unnie. I'll going home with my boyfriend while at it. He is still in campus anyway. "YooA said. "Yes, you can take her, hehehe," he told Jongin.

"Thank you, YooA," Jongin said with a sweet smile at her. "Come on, seul. Let's go! "He said, pulling my hand away.

---

 

 "Oh I feel so bad about YooA. And it's all your fault! "I whined to Jongin when we are walking home together.

"What? She already said it is okay, what are you angry about? "

" Still! "I cried out resentfully.

"So how's life going? "He asked me.

"Fine, You? "I asked him back.

 "Me? Not so fine because of a certain person, "I frowned. 

"Who? "

" You, of course. Is it needed to ask? "He said with a small laugh. "Why are you ignoring me, hmm? "

I do not answer right away. I tried to sort words and manage my lies. "I'm not ignoring you. If I'm ignoring you then why am I here now-walking to the dorm with you? "

" Haha, maybe not now, but before. You clearly ignored my call and text. For almost 2 months! "

" Well... That's because ... "

" Cause of what? Are you making excuse now? "

" I went abroad for winter break. I went to Japan for vacation and LA to helped my aunt's photo exbihition there. I was so busy. "I explained to him. "And I also forgot to bring my phone. " Jongin frowns at my last lie. He seemed to know that there was something I was hiding from him but then he decided to give in.

"Really? "

" Really, "

" Really? "

" 99.999% REAL !! "

"Damn you! "

" What? "

" Nothing. "He said. "I miss you," He said then, smiling.

My heart goes thump thump hearing that. I need to control myself. I cant fall in love with him. I need to move on.

"You clearly fine without me." He mumbled.

"What? "

" Nothing, it's just you are not saying you miss me back, "He exclaimed. I frown at her. I then pretended to put on a face to throw up on him.

"Ugh, how cheesy! "I exclaimed.

"Well! "

" Hahahahaha, "I laughed at him. Talking with him is always this easy. He is really my childhood friend ... my precious friend ... "Actually, I'm a bit angry with you," I said suddenly to him.

"Huh? Why? "He asked confusedly. "See ... there is really something, right that make you ignoring me! "

"Well, it is different " I lied."You are the one who lied to me. You're hiding something from me." I said.

He stared at me for a few seconds. "What lies? "

I smiled at him. "I dont know. Why did you ask me? Ask your self! "I said. "

I just hoped you would tell me earlier. I will be happier, then. "

---

 

When I got to my room, Wendy was already there. "Ugh! You startled me wannah! Why did not you turn on the lamp? "I asked her.

As I entered, the room looked pitch-black and if it were not for the light of the afternoon light at the window of the room, I would not have known that there was Wendy sitting at her desk. "Are you even able to read in this darkness? "I asked her again.

I walked over to my study table side by side with hers. I put my bag down there, then took off the long coat I wore.

"Oh My God, seul! What is wrong with your sweater? "Wendy asked, looking amazed at the sweater.

 

" Ugh, it get caught in a nail and get ripped, "I said. "It's a long story... I'm going to tell you the detail later. I'm so exhausted now. I'm going to take a bath first, " I said again while stretching my arms.

"Uh, huh, go take a bath. Use the aromatherapy shower gel that we bought before. It'll calm you down, "Wendy gives me an idea. "Okay," I say, getting ready to go into the bathroom. "I deserved a long nice bath after all this mess,"

---

 

 To be continued.