01.

Royal fools

PRESENT TIME

No one knows what it was; only that it didn’t appear to be contagious and proved very deadly. It cost queen Soojung her life at a very young age, a tragedy for her husband who had never learned to love her, but grown to cherish her as a dear friend; a tragedy for her daughter, an innocent 9-year-old girl, too young to lose her mother – but then, you can never be old enough, ready enough to witness the suffering and death of the woman who gave you life -.

It was a tragedy to the kingdom as well, for she had passed without giving the king a male heir to the crown.

It was a tragedy to her family who missed her dearly, but also her old home as their peace treaty was left on wobbly legs.

The young king had two options: He had to remarry, or he had to betroth his little girl to a prince he could entrust his kingdom on. He could do both, or he could do neither, say screw it all, let the princess find her own husband when she feels like it and if he dies before that, then just have her rule his people, because why should she be any less capable than a man for this job? He had been a first hand witness to Soojung’s wisdom as his advisor, Yeoreum could do too.

He was too sad over his wife’s death, too busy with the rituals that entailed and fussing over his crying daughter to address that issue.

It was king Do who, in a panic, came to him first.

Two days after the ceremony for his daughter’s passing, the king’s advisor had brought up the topic of the peace truce.

There was no clause stating it would be void if the woman were to pass, but she had left the king without an heir – a male heir – and that severed all ties between their kingdoms.

Even without a treaty, "Jongin is a good man, he won’t declare war on us", is how the king reassured his loyal servant, "but what if he weds the little princess to a prince and his new allies wish for war?" Is the counterargument he got.

It had been only a month after he became a widower that a message arrived offering a renewal of their terms, but King Do hadn’t been the first to consider the political implications of Soojung’s death.

The greedy king that had once attacked them had sent his right-hand man along with his eldest daughter to offer a truce. Jongin wasn’t a vengeful man, it had never crossed his mind to declare war on them, but it was good to know that all neighboring kingdoms feared his wrath.

The woman had been sent to be his second wife two days before the message from King Do arrived.

The idea of his good friend betrothing Yeoreum did not sit well on his chest. "I’m just being over protective with my baby girl, any father would be", is what he told himself, but a deep part of him knew that he hadn’t cared that Kyungsoo was betrothed to his princess, he was upset that Kyungsoo was betrothed. Period.

“You should accept their offering, however, I’m not too sure about the other one” his older brother had advised, referring to the marriage proposal that had been made to him.

“Tell your king” Jongin began over in the throne room, his wise brother and advisor by his side as he faced the right-hand man of his former rival “That if he wants peace he’ll have it, and if he wants a marriage to seal it, he’ll have it too, the specifics are up to me, can we agree on that much?” he asked, fooling the man into agreeing in a heartbeat without consulting his king first, but as an entitled representative, his verbal agreement was a binding contract.

Because Jongin didn’t want a second wife, he didn’t want a male heir, in the end what he chose was to screw it and let his princess become the first queen to rule a land on her own merit, if she fell in love and married in the future was inconsequential.

But that was before King Do’s letter arrived, and the offer was all too tempting; he was no fool, he knew that if he allowed Kyungsoo to be king, he’d do it well. But he managed to remain resolute when the man, 8 years younger than him, stood before him in the throne room, presenting his offer.

“I spoke with my daughter and she does not desire to be wedded to you” he lied, when in truth he had never spoken to her about the matter.

“Your daughter? A mere child, what does she know of politics? Why is her opinion being considered in this matter?” Kyungsoo replied. He was not happy to hear of his betrothal, and was saddened by the reason behind it, but it was his duty, he knew, so he had traveled a day after the letter had been sent to Jongin, to convince him if need be.

“It is her life after all, her future”

“Wrong, it is the future of both our kingdoms that is at stake, you can't be thinking of jeopardizing it over the selfish mumblings of an 11-year-old” he insisted, and while he had nothing personal against the princess and knew how capable he himself had been at that age, their marriage was crucial to the future of his people and he’d make sure to do his part.

“It is my daughter you so lightly speak of, surely you don't expect that I condemn her to a life of misery”

“For the sake of your people, I certainly do. As a king, it is nothing but your duty. Some sacrifices must be made in the name of ensuring the people's well-being” he countered.

“You speak so defiantly, but would you do the same in my place?” Jongin challenged.

“Do you not see me doing it as we speak? Aren't I condemned to the same life of misery you are so intent on sparing her of? Surely princess Yeoreum will make a lovely wife… in ten years! Yet I'm willing to shackle myself to her because I know it is what I must” he pledged seriously.

“It is not the same” Jongin countered “making the decision for yourself is brave, me making it for her would be cruel”

“Nonsense, she is but a child who doesn't know better, once she grows she'll understand”

“And if she grows to resent me? She is my only child, all I have left of her mother” he appealed sentimentally.

“Don't speak of my sister as if you loved her” Kyungsoo spoke, tone still respectful but anyone could tell he was ticked off by the mention of his dead sister.

“I may not have been in love, but I cherished her dearly, Queen Soojung shall be forever in my heart and selling off the beautiful daughter she blessed me with is not how I want to repay her devotion”

“You are not selling off her daughter, you are trading her to the most caring hands at the price of a peace treaty that will ensure both our kingdoms prosper” he offered, softening his tone and features.

“The most caring hands, you say” the king huffed incredulously.

“She is as much your daughter as she is my niece, she will be cherished”

“And soiled!” he shouted louder than he knew he should have. He knew he could trust Kyungsoo, but it was also his husbandly duty to produce an heir just like it had been his duty at the time of his own wedding night, and he didn’t know what side of that coin unsettled him more. The idea of his baby girl being taken so young?... The idea of Kyungsoo holding another?

“I would never lay a hand on her!” he defended, indignant.

“You say so now, but after you acquire the husbandly right to do so, I'll be hand tied to stop you”

“Trust me, I have no interest, I never will even if she blooms into the beauty that my sister was” he reassured the other. Jongin weighed his words and he knew he could trust him, but a nagging inside still told him it wasn’t right.

Yet a nagging outside, the voice of his brother, told him he had no choice.

“It's all pointless” he gave up with a sigh “I cannot refuse you without upsetting your father. I wish there was one more maiden in your house for me to take. I can have as many queens as the throne needs me to, but I do not wish to tie my daughter into an unhappy marriage”

“My father had the same thoughts when he had to offer Soojung’s hand, yet she wasn't miserable by your side. Who says Princess Yeoreum will be miserable by mine?” the younger tried to pacify softly.

“Do you wish for the benefit of the doubt? A senseless request after you've stated so bluntly your lack of interest” he challenged.

“Just because I cannot love a woman doesn't mean I'm a bad man! I'll care for her, she'll have the happy life my sister wished for her.”

“What did you just say?” the king asked, shock obvious on his face.

“I said: I'll make her happy” he repeated as per request, giving the other a weird look because he knew he had obviously been heard.

“Not that! Are you… one of those too? You lust for men?” he clarified, something he didn’t have a name for growing in his chest, a possibility.

“It was never a secret amongst my close family and as my father in law, I don't intend to keep it a secret from you” he answered casually.

“Don't speak to me as if I've already agreed”  was all he thought of replying to that statement, unrest tickling at his throat at the sound of that title.

“Your majesty, you must” Kyungsoo insisted desperately.

“Had you said this sooner…” Jongin began, voice soft, as if talking to himself, but the younger heard him.

“Don't tell me you now consider me inadequate, I give my word that I can be” he began, very offended by the idea that his friend could now have changed his mind about him over his uality.

“No, in fact, you may have given me the answer to this predicament” he stated vaguely, a small smile, one of those that Kyungsoo had missed so much, beginning to bloom on his plumb lips.

“What are you planning?” Kyungsoo asked, wary.

“I already said so and I stand by those words: for the well-being of my people, I'll make all the sacrifices needed from me” he pledges confidently “My daughter is but a child like you yourself claim, and should be left out of politics. If this is a matter I can solve by my own means, then that is precisely what I'll do”

“Your majesty cannot be implying that I…” the prince began, mouth agape in disbelief.

“Marry me, Do Kyungsoo”