13.

Royal fools

"You wanted to see me?" Joonmyeon asks from the door to Jongin's study after a servant called him over, his loyal companion as always beside him.

 

"Yes, there are some things I need you to arrange for me" he says, signalling for the door to be closed to keep the conversation private.

 

"Banquet preparations are underway, something small, as you asked, both the Park and the Choi are sending representatives to sign the trade route agreement Kyungsoo brought back" he reports, while the other noods signaling he's paying attention even though he looks like his mind is elsewhere "Have you talked to your husband at all these past week?" The oldest asks, snapping the other back to attention "You missed him so much, but he could be missing again and you wouldn't know the difference".

 

"I see him in passing and have added a third guard and a new maid to his entourage, ones that I can trust, he won't sneak past me again" …he hopes.

 

"Only a matter of time before he wins them over and they'll lie for him like the old ones. There's something about him…" he trails off, but the king nods his agreement because he has seen first hand the appeal of Kyungsoo's softness, as well as the allure of his firmness. If only he could captivate political advisors the same way he does staff and nobles, all would be well.

 

"About that, there's something more I need from you, for tomorrow's meeting" he preambles with a serious determined look that Joonmyeon doesn't know whether to feel reassured or intimidated by. He gives off the feeling of a man with a plan to do what needs to be done, and the former crown prince can only hope it is the right thing.

 

 

The throne room is bustling with noise, the agitated whispering of the council merged into an unintelligible buzz of voices as everyone waits impatiently for their monarch to arrive so the meeting can commence. A guard had already been sent to retrieve the King after a respectable 10 minutes of his tardiness had been excused and 5 more had passed without word from him.

 

"It appears my brother is otherwise engaged" the prince announces upon the arrival of the messenger, alone "I suppose it can't be helped, we'll start without him. I'll make sure next time he plans to be absent he announces so in advance so our honourable council won't needlessly wait for him"

 

"Prince Joonmyeon, with all due respect, we can't have this meeting without the king" one of the elders said in a bow.

 

"True, but the king is right there" he says, and some elders look to the door expecting to find Jongin, not noticing where the prince's gaze falls as he says this "Or have you forgotten? This kingdom has two rulers of equal authority. You've had many of these gatherings without king Kyungsoo present, so now you can do it without king Jongin".

 

The room remains quiet, not a word against his logic even if their apprehension is obvious. Kyungsoo looks at him with confusion and a hopeful spark in his eyes, shyly letting a small smile show on his heart shaped lips and form a voiceless "thank you" to the prince before he squares his shoulders and clears his throat to address the council. His council.

 

 

The day of the banquet arrived, to celebrate a war avoided and a new commercial alliance formed. The crowd was small, only important guests present, all dressed to impress and dancing merrily, relishing the prosperous times they were living.

 

For once, Kyungsoo wasn't off in a corner, talking intimately with one person, but in the center of a circle of men and women, listening attentively to what he had to say. It was overwhelming but equal parts exhilarating and he discussed with them a range of serious and vain topics, sometimes debating opposing views and some other times laughing at funny remarks.

 

He wasn't fool to believe that they all magically liked him, but they were making an effort to be liked by him, acknowledging him as the key political piece that he was, as a powerful king of the realm they all wanted to be favored by.

 

He danced with Joonmyeon's wife and with his niece, ate delicious food served in moderation, and had more fun than he had ever had in one of those events.

 

He watched his husband have fun too, also surrounded by nobles draping him in attention, dancing and more importantly, staring at him constantly. Their gazes would meet so often, they may as well never look away from one another, and every time, Jongin would smile, Kyungsoo would blush and avert his eyes, and Jongin would smile wider.

 

 

With the party over and the guests sent away, each monarch went back to their own room, on opposite ends of the palace like it had originally been arranged by the staff and never been corrected, until now. With timid resolve, the king orders for his belongings to be packed, as he will be moving to a room much closer to his husband's chambers and with a knowing smile, his trusted maids get to work as he excuses himself, followed by his three guards - too many, he still believes - into the opposite side of the palace.

 

The man stationed at Jongin's door knocks for him and lets him in after announcing it is him. He walks in and finds the man he married still fully clothed, sitting at his desk.

 

"Thank you" he says without preamble.

 

"Is what I should have done from the start" he admits in self deprecation knowing exactly what the other is referring to "I apologize for taking so long to keep my word to you".

 

"But you did, and I thank you" he repeats with a soft smile, stepping closer.

 

"I accept your gratitude, but keep in mind that I didn't do you a favor. You don't need favors from me, or approval, or permission. Whatever I have the power to do, you can do too" he insists with a look full of determination, trying his best to convey reassurance, like he has many times before, hoping this time he'll be able to keep the promise he keeps making and breaking.

 

"I-"

 

"But there is something I want your permission for, as my spouse" he interrupts, stopping the other's words and the short steps he was taking into his personal bubble. 

 

In a millisecond the smile drops from Kyungsoo's lips. Permission from his spouse? His mind races to the one thing that he had firmly asked Jongin not to do, something that would otherwise be the queen's duty to arrange: A harem of concubines. It would be a smart move that could lessen some of the dissent in the kingdom against Kyungsoo for his involvement in cutting short the Kim lineage with his inability to provide a male heir. But somehow, even reasoning that it is for his sake, he can't forgive even the suggestion of it.

 

"You want… concubines?" He asks in a small voice, stepping back only one step before the other grabs his wrist and pulls him close enough to embrace but doesn't. His breath is coming short, tears forming in his eyes and heart beating fast in expectation.

 

"No, Kyungsoo" the other reassures with a calm smile, heart pounding just as fast if not harder "... I want to kiss you".