06.

Royal fools

The next morning Kyungsoo tried to dissuade the stubborn man standing outside his door, insisting that he needn't be a permanent guard before the wedding.


“Where to, my king?” Hongbin asked, jokingly offering the crook of his elbow for the other to hold onto to be escorted to his destination. What he hadn’t expected was for Kyungsoo to actually latch on with a bright smile.

“To Prince Joonmyeon’s bedroom, if you please” he replied in a feigned superior tone, unable to keep the laughter in after he said so, making the other smile widely.

Kyungsoo had already had his breakfast in bed, a treat from Hongbin himself, as he had asked the maids to bring it up to him. Kyungsoo had been surprised but warmed by the gesture. He was a good man, so Kyungsoo didn’t mind the stares he received for acting so friendly with a member of the staff.

Once they stood outside the room he had never visited before, he let go of the guard’s arm and told him to wait for him because it wouldn’t take long before softly knocking on the door. A second later, they were opened by Yifan.

Kyungsoo stood far away from the royal, thinking it inappropriate to get too close, that would make the height difference too noticeable.

“I spoke with Jongin yesterday, we had a bit of an argument and both our relationship and the image of our union stand on shaky ground. As things are, though harmless, it wouldn’t be wise to make a joke out of this matrimony, it is what everyone already thinks of it” he surmised with clear disappointment “I’m sorry, I know it was my idea, but you got excited about it too, didn’t you? I’m sorry I got your hopes up for nothing” he explained.

“On the contrary, Prince Do, please get my hopes up more often… I need that” he asked cryptically. Kyungsoo tilted his head in confusion while Yifan gave him a sad look. A moment later, realization seemed to click in Kyungsoo’s head, he knows what depression at the loss of one’s life purpose looks like.

“You’re a master swordsman, right?” he asked, surprising the pair.

“Yeah, not much use now” he pointed out the obvious.

“How about archery, are you any good?” he asked.

“It was never my thing, that’s more Jongdae’s field” he explained, unsure where the conversation was going.

“I’ve heard of his prowess, when there’s such a skillful master around, why did you never try to learn?”

“Well, the obvious” he said, gesturing to his unmoving legs “I’ll never be in a battlefield again, I’d be a burden” he said, averting his eyes before they water.

“I’ve never been to battle before, does that make me a burden”

“That’s not what I meant” he defended.

“Joonmyeon” he addressed informally for the first time, bringing the other to fully focus on his next words “Your sword has become rusty, my bow has gone stiff” he began, making the other instinctively look towards the wall behind his bed, where his trusty sword was displayed in glass casing. It was as shiny as ever, and he assumes Kyungsoo’s bow remains flexible, where was he going with this? “But those are good things, Joonmyeon, it means we’re not using them, that no blood is being shed. The reason you’re not in the battlefield isn’t because you’d be a burden, but because there’s no battle, Joonmyeon” he said, lowering the volume of his voice as he gathered the courage to walk closer “We’re at peace, happy and prosperous, and as the new ruler of this land, I exist for the purpose of keeping it that way” he finished in almost a whisper that was easily heard through the quietness of the room and the closeness of them both. He was close enough that Joonmyeon had to crane his neck to watch him, but for the first time since the accident, he didn’t mind.

He didn’t mind because Kyungsoo was physically towering over him, yet he didn’t feel looked down upon. Just like Kyungsoo had done when he entered, most people respectfully stood far away when addressing him; the ones he was close to, like Yifan and Jongdae, would crouch to his height. But there he was, looking down on him, directly into his eyes, and it didn’t make Joonmyeon feel less.

He had always felt useless because he believed war was the only thing he was useful for, and after he could no longer fight, he thought there was nothing to live for. But one shouldn’t live for war, but for peace. He’s useless as a general, as a fighter, but they should all be.

His purpose shouldn’t be winning wars, it should be maintaining peace.

“I would have never been half the king you will be” he praised, painting a self-conscious blush in the other’s usually pale cheeks “From this day on I, too, exist for the peace and prosperity of this land, and if that goal will be achieved through you, then to you I pledge my rusted sword” he pledged, grasping the younger’s right hand in both of his and bringing it to his lips, placing a short kiss to the back of it.

“My prince!” Yifan called in alarm at seeing the gesture “The both of you are engaged men, please refrain from such inappropriate displays” he explained in a calmer manner. The two men nodded in understanding and Kyungsoo took a step back to preserve a respectful distance.
 
“My job here is done” he announced with a beaming smile “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a meeting I can’t miss” he excused “In a royal family with no queen, someone has to care for the gardeners and we don’t expect Jongin to do it, right?” he asked with a knowing look. The other chuckled.

“I don’t, but if it becomes a bother, my future wife can handle it” the eldest offered. 

– I’ll judge her taste when I see her wedding gown, I’ll only let her mess with my garden if I approve of it – he spoke with feigned aloofness, causing the other to laugh out loud, which surprised the stoic tall man who watched quietly.

With a wide grin he bowed and gave his farewell before exiting the room. Yifan closed the door behind him and turned around to give Joonmyeon a piece of his mind when he saw the other struggling to push the chair by himself. The tall man rushed to help him, taking him to the desk in the opposite corner of the room and pulling out all the implements for him. As the man wrote, Yifan would read over his shoulder.
 


Dear brother,
You’re such a busy man, always going from here to there that I couldn’t be bothered to go looking for you, so here’s a letter

 
That made the tall man chuckle because it was mostly true. In the past both brothers had taken military duty as strategists and leaders of the kingdom’s tropes, the general and the Lieutenant general; but now there was only Jongdae, who refused to receive anyone’s help after ascending to General position with his brothers demote. Whoever was assigned to deliver that letter would have a tough time finding him first in order to do so.
 


As you know, our middle brother is marrying a man, and you also know how the general reaction to this news was a disapproving one. Whether it be people opposing the idea of two rulers or those who disagree with the possibility of there being a princess to inherit the throne, either way, his existence displeases a lot of people and I’m afraid of what they may do.
A lot of guests will be arriving within this week in preparation for the wedding, and I’m unsure if they can all be trusted. I’ve bowed to protect him but I’m aware of my limitations, so I ask that you assign your most trustworthy man to his side at all times,
And come visit me some time, I feel like I never see you these days, and we’re at peace for love’s sake! What’s got a general so busy in times of peace?
With love, Joonmyeon.

 

 

 

The letter was received much later, read and chuckled at. Jongdae took very few things seriously other than war; he would joke and laugh about virtually anything with zero tact; it was a blessing he hadn’t been the next in line for the throne.

But even while laughing, he called for Leo, the most trustworthy man he had in the ranks. He believed they were all equally skillful and capable of protecting the young prince, and Joonmyeon too hadn’t mentioned skill, he asked for one that could be trusted and that was with no doubts Leo.

The man was painfully shy, awkward and quiet, which caused him to be single even at his age. A man unattached is a man with no weakness, Jongdae firmly believes. With nobody to protect or provide for, Leo is one who can’t be swayed with threats nor gold.

The man had been in the middle of a spar, so he was sent to clean himself up “you’re on guard duty now”, the peer who was passing on the message told him with a snicker. Leo remained expressionless.