The News

Be My Coach, Yuzuru!

At age 3, your favourite figure skater has been introduced to the world of ice. You watched almost all of his figure skating videos and kept being updated with his competition schedules on TV. Every year, you rooted for his victory at the Olympics and he has never failed to disappoint you. Now at age 22, he's a fully-fledged senior figure skater known all around the world. He is an idol amongst other competitive celebrity skaters and as it stands right now, he's training for this year's Grand Prix. How'd you know all of this? Your world revolves around the skater, Hanyu Yuzuru. Representing the Men's Singles in the Olympics. You grew up supporting him and eventually learned skating because of him. You idolize him and someday wish to compete against him once you reach the senior rank yourself. Now at age 23, you are just starting off your junior debut and training for the Nationals at the 2014 NHK Trophy. It's in a month and you are still having trouble mastering your landing for your jumps and landing your spins cleanly. 

"Be more stable! End off strong! Don't be so sloppy!" your coach said, sternly. He was truly furious at you today; moreso than ever before. That's because you aren't abiding by his instructions. You're out of focus and concentration today, but who can blame you? He's constantly yelling at you to do better. That, in itself is already damaging any focus and motivation you have left for practice. Right now, you just wish it to over as soon as possible.

8 painful hours later...

"Oh my God! My legs are jelly! Does he want to kill me? Geez! He's so stern and unjust! He's lucky I'm persistent in staying because I actually like ice skating!" You complained. Currently, you are residing in Russia because that's where your competition will be held in a month. You came early to get adjusted to the jetlag and the time difference so you can quickly get used to your workout schedule. You're resting back at your hotel, checking up on news about Yuzuru Hanyu. It's an automatic habit you developed because you look up to him so much and want to become him, literally. As you were scrolling, you weren't prepared to see what just popped up in front of you:

HANYU YUZURU ANNOUNCES HIATUS AFTER NATIONALS IN RUSSIA

Your heart literally stopped beating as you read the title. To confirm what you just read, you opened another tab and went to his social media page. Sure enough, a company representative responded to the news with a post message stating an apology to his fans for the sudden departure news and saying that it's a personal reason close to Yuzuru, so they didn't ask for further details. "So it's true. After Nationals, he's gone from the ice and I don't know how long he'll be on hiatus for." You worried. "He won't suddenly decide to retire like Takahashi Daisuke, right?" 

Whatever the case, you couldn't stop your thoughts from jumping to conclusions. You just shut off your laptop and went to sleep, hoping to forget all about it by tomorrow. You need to bring back your focus, but now with this realization about your idol taking some time off from the ice, it'll be hard for you to get your thoughts together and focus on anything really.