Chapter 3

Underground Tutoring Program

The mint haired boy sighed as another ding from his laptop informed him of a new unread email. It marked the 15th email he had received since he logged on this morning.

 

"Yah, another one arrived," he called over his shoulder to the boy by the desk on the corner.

 

"What subject is it?" the man asked in reply.

 

"Social Science 101."

 

The boy lifted his head from the file he was reading to turn to the mint haired boy, "Please print it for me Suga hyung and bring it to the conference room for our selection process."

 

"Wait, I just said Social Science," Suga doubled back fearing he misheard the younger boy.

 

"Yeah I know," the boy sighed as he ran his hand through his thick and shiny grey-haired boy.

 

"So who is going to be the tutor for that? You?" Suga asked nonchalantly.

 

"No," the boy took the files on his table and proceed to move towards the door to head over to the conference room. "But I think it's about time we utilise all our tutors."

 

With that being said, Suga printed the attached document on the email and followed the grey-haired boy to the dimly lit conference room where 3 other people waited. Once all 5 were seated, the dark oak door was closed shut as the meeting for the application committee commenced.

 

 

"So far, we have received 78 applicants for this semester alone." Suga yawned as he read of his laptop. "And out of all those 78 applications, 48 were from the university officials."

 

"Don't they ever learn that we won't fall for such a blatantly lame trick anymore," a dark-haired boy shook his head as he flipped through the files in front of him.

 

"Well, I guess they can dream," Suga smirked as he typed into his laptop.

 

"So out of the remaining applicants how many have disqualified themselves?" the blonde girl asked as she writes into her notebook.

 

"Well based on Suga hyung's research, 7 of the remaining 30 were not really at risk of failing on their subjects." The grey-haired boy replied.

 

"Damn hyung, I still can't believe you hack into the university's site to gather 'research' on all our applicants. Remind me to never get in your bad side." The dark-haired boy laughed nervously.

 

"It just means don't piss me off?" Suga smirked evilly to the dark-haired boy. "Why J-hope? Do you want me to dig through your online information and uncover your dark secrets to everyone?"

 

"Ahh, no thanks hyung," J-hope smiled awkwardly.

 

"So how many does that leave us with Suga?" The black-haired girl spoke gracefully cutting between the chatter.

 

"23 so far noona," Suga replied seriously, "All 23 of them seem genuine but I think we would benefit from gathering other types of information."

 

"Alright, can we assign you, Wendy, over gathering intel on the remaining 23?" The grey-haired boy showed his dimple smile as he flipped through the papers of the said 23 applicants.

 

"Sure Oppa, when would you like to have the information on your desk by?" Wendy replied with a smile as she scribbled into her notebook.

 

"As soon as possible Seungwan-ie," the black-haired girl smiled sweetly.

 

"Sure Unnie."

 

"With you getting information through your sketchy slash borderline illegal hacking and Wendy's 'almost' stalking skills, it's no wonder you guys are dating." J-hope laughed as he shut the folder of his files closed. "I just worry that maybe one day you might run out of people to find information on. Then what would you guys do to bond?"

 

"Shut up Jung Hoseok if you don't want your unhealthy obsession with Kimchi to be broadcasted to the whole campus." Suga scoffed as he also shut his laptop closed.

 

The 5 began to rummage through their items preparing to conclude the meeting when their female leader began to speak.

 

"I've read through the remaining 23 and noticed that we have 2 students requiring our services for Social Science 101. I am thinking that it's probably for the better to accept these 2 applicants." The black-haired girl smiled as she began to stand from her chair.

 

This caused the other leader to widen his eyes.

 

"Oh, are we finally going to let Yerim take more than 1 client this semester?" Suga smiled remembering their newest recruit.

 

"No, I was thinking of putting the girl with Yerim whilst the male applicant will be with someone else," Joohyun smiled as the heels of her feet began to click as she walked towards the door.

 

"So who is going to tutor for the other one?" Wendy wondered out loud, "Are you unnie? Are you going back to your roots?"

 

"No, I think it's time we stop babying our younger tutors," Joohyun quietly replied.

 

"So who? No way, it can't be Jungkook! He doesn't know anything beyond physical education and basic biol…" Before Jhope can continue babbling, Suga slapped Jhope's head in reply.

 

"Of course not you ," Suga darted his eyes to the two leaders who seemed to be glaring at each other, "It's her."

 

"Do you think it's the best idea given her track record?" The grey-haired leader stood up from his chair as he ran his hand along his hair in frustration.

 

Yoongi, Seungwan and Hoseok all stood still as their eyes once again dart between the leaders of the club. Disagreements are not a normal occurrence between the members much less from the two soft-spoken leaders.

 

"You know as well as anyone that she is independent and stubborn just like you. So we can expect that she will not remain quiet and obedient for long," Joohyun looked behind her shoulder. "Besides, it's only a matter of time until she explodes and demands us to treat her the same way we treat everyone else. Don't you think so Namjoon-shii?"

 

 

 

---

 

 

"Joohyun-shii a word please," Namjoon ushered the older girl into the empty room within the club building away from the idle tutors.

 

"No need for the formalities Namjoon-shii," she replied nonchalantly.

 

Before the girl could even take a seat, Namjoon turned around to release a frustrated sigh.

 

"I don't appreciate you going behind my back like that Irene," Namjoon glared at the girl frustratingly, "You know as well as I that we were almost found out when we gave her a male client last time. I wouldn't want to risk it again just because you think she is somewhat ready!"

 

"Well, I don't appreciate you questioning my decisions like that in front of everyone," Irene replied with her venom laced words. " Do you think I have forgotten about that fiasco? Of course, I worry that this might cause a repeat of some unfortunate circumstances but I know her, maybe not as much as you do, but I know her."

 

"What are you trying to say, Irene?" Namjoon's voice dared in a quiet voice.

 

"I'm saying I know for a fact that she knows she made a mistake and would do anything to prove to everyone and to herself that she won't fall for it again." Irene smiled solemnly. "Look Namjoon, I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers. I know she is important to you and you want to protect her, but I think now she is old enough to handle things on her own without her Oppa protecting her every step of the way."

 

"I know that Irene," Namjoon sighed once again. "I just want to help her because I know if she makes a mistake again she wouldn't forgive herself this time. I don’t want to risk losing her and I know the other members wouldn't want to lose her either."

 

"We don’t," Irene patted Namjoon's shoulder as she walked past him towards the doorway ready to leave. "But if you keep on sheltering her, you will just end up driving her away from all of us, including you. I know you have already noticed that she can't look into your eyes anymore."

 

Namjoon nodded his head as he looked into the ground in defeat.

 

"Do yourself a favour Namjoon and push to accept that application."

 

With that, the female leader of the infamous Underground Tutoring Program left the room leaving her now torn fellow leader.

 

'Maybe she's right,' he thought as he looked at the application of a Kim Taehyung.

 

 

---

 

1st Semester, Week 10. May 27, 2018.

 

Kim Taehyung sat nervously inside a quiet corner in the library with his laptop resting on his lap.

 

A tab was open in his laptop with an unread email from an unknown sender. Today marked the day where all UTP applicants will know the results of their application. Taehyung had been losing sleep over worrying about the results.

 

Taking a deep breath with one eye peeking through his fingers, Taehyung clicked on the button and awaited his results. With bated breath, Taehyung began to read in a low whisper, "Congratulations your application to become a client to the Underground Tutoring Program has been accepted."

 

It took Taehyung a few seconds before he busted out in loud cheering, thus, earning a few glares from surrounding students.

 

Taehyung quickly fished out his phone from his pocket as he packed his stuff into his bag ready to leave the library. Quickly dialling the number of his best and only friend, Taehyung began to skip happily along the campus ground waiting for him to pick up.

 

"Guess what?" Taehyung happily sang.

 

"What?" Jimin replied in a tired tone.

 

"Boo," Taehyung teased, "I said guess."

 

"I just finished 2 hour-long lecture, don't test me Kim Taehyung."

 

"I'm going to ignore that you just said that and pretend you actually care," Taehyung laughed nevertheless. "My application got accepted!"

 

"Congratulations on your useless achie…" Jimin stopped himself and woke from his trance, "UTP accepted your lousy application?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"I wonder what made them stoop so low?" Jimin laughed.

 

"Yah!" Taehyung screamed to his phone, "Sometimes I wonder why you're my friend."

 

"Maybe they were really short on cash," Jimin laughed as he could practically see his friend's pouty face, "Besides where can you find a friend who can be better than me? I think you should be grateful that I even spend time with a peasant like you."

 

"Well thanks for everything o' great one," Taehyung strayed off, "I was going to invite you to go for a coffee with me as I celebrate my successful application but now I don't think I would be worthy of your presence."

 

"Your treat?" Jimin's attention was quickly grabbed. Nothing beats free caffeinated drink to a broke and struggling Physical Therapy student.

 

"Yeah."

 

"I'm coming lover boy." Taehyung laughed at Jimin's reply as they headed over to their favourite coffee spot wherein a quiet corner, a lady with long brown hair is sitting quietly reading an astronomy book.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Hello everyone, I'm back again! I have been really busy plotting the story out and I'm so excited with what this story holds for us! We will be introducing a lot of new characters so look out for that! Comment on the new characters you would like to see and then maybe I will drop you some hints along the way.

 

Right now in our story, we have introduced some of the UTP lead tutors who are also part of the application committee. So far we have Namjoon and Joohyun who are the UTP's club leaders. We also have Yoongi who is the tech specialist of UTP and member of the club's application committee, he is in charge of gathering information on the applicants through hacking university's computers. Seungwan who is also part of the application committee is an informant who somehow gathers pieces of information on applicants through speaking to others (aka. stalking). Lastly, Hoseok is the final member of UTP's application committee. He is recently added due to his uncanny ability to observe and identify people despite his somewhat 'childish' personality.

 

I promise we will be getting our main girl in the next chapter!

Happy reading!