Chapter 2

Underground Tutoring Program

Last semester. June 30, 2017.

 

A beep from his phone woke Taehyung from his trance.

Ever since returning the swapped phone for his, Taehyung had devised a cunning plan to spend some time with his favourite sunbae.

So with very little hassle from the scholar, Taehyung quickly handed in his application for his extra subject for the upcoming semester. Taehyung figured that his application for 'SoSci101: Introduction to Social Science' would be processed rather swiftly. After all, a scholar shouldn't have any problems in enrolling within such a foundational unit of a subject.

It wasn't a surprise for Taehyung to receive his granted application in only a matter of days. With a little bounce in his steps, Taehyung walked over to Jimin's a couple of houses next door to deliver the good news.

"My dear Jimin-ah rise and shine," Taehyung sang as he busted in his friend's room in grand fashion.

"Eugh, live me alone. I think I might vomit from all the flower vibes you are emitting early this morning," Jimin grumbled from under his blanket. "What got you in such a mood this time Taehyung?"

Taehyung giggled as a reply causing the pink-haired boy to crack an eye open to catch the said boy performing what looks to be a pirouette.

"Did you finally found a way to sneak Yoengtan into the university?"

"No my dear Jimin-shi," Taehyung twirled closer to the laying boy, scooping his friend's cheek into his palm as the other fished his phone from his pockets. "Even better take a look"

Jimin quickly snatched Taehyung's phone into his own as he gagged from Taehyung's show of affection, "What? You are this happy about Social Science?"

Taehyung nodded enthusiastically as his hands cupped his own blushing cheeks.

Jimin finally moved to a sitting position as he continued to scroll through his friend's phone with great confusion, "I didn't know that Social Science was needed in Engineering."

"It's not."

"So you're telling me that the Taehyung that I know, willingly enrolled into a completely unrelated unit just because?" Jimin raised his brow, "Who are you and what have you done to Taehyung?"

"It's my ticket to finally be with my Joohyun-noona," Taehyung swooned as he flopped himself across Jimin's bed.

"Sorry to break it to you but you're a little too late. Joohyun-sunbaenim already completed that unit two or three years ago."

"No, but I think she is tutoring students flunking that unit," Taehyung replied with a sparkle in his eyes.

"So you are telling me that you the scholar-who-fought-his-teacher-in-middle-school-because-of-he-marked-you-down-for-your-lousy-penmanship is going to purposely enrol himself in a unit only to fail it so you can be tutored by your campus crush?" Jimin flailed his arms in the air, "Yep, not gonna work. I can already see your GPA crashing and burning from here."

"Gee, thanks for the concern," Taehyung rolled over to Jimin's leg.

"Yeah, whatever," Jimin pushed the boy away as he began his morning routine, "just don't come crying to me when this is all over."

"It won't," He claimed over his shoulder as he left his friend's room.

 

 

---

 

 

1st Semester, Week 9. May 21, 2018.

 

Within the comfort of his own bed, Taehyung eyed his laptop as he once again re-read over his electronic application.

It had taken him a few hours to complete the application as he attempted to sound as desperate as he could. With a mark of 37 in his previous Social Science exam, Taehyung was placed within the large pool of students who are eligible to apply to become tutored by one of the infamous underground tutors.

It was said that the application process for eligible students was long and difficult as the underground tutors are tasked to validate the legitimacy of each applicant.

This was said to be due to the growing number of fake student applications being submitted on behalf of the university officials who have been attempting to crush the Underground Tutoring Program.

However, students know better.

Students say that the added security around the application process was put in place to prevent a repeat of a previous famous attempt to identify the underground tutors. They say that the names of the tutors were almost ousted but was never confirmed due to the sudden disappearance of the undercover student.

So now, eligible students seeking to access the services offered by the Underground Tutoring Program was required to fill in an application form and wait for a reply from the infamous tutors. Depending on the reply given, people say that a non-disclosure contract is also given to protect the identities of the tutors. However, students have also said that the tutors would often blackmail their clients into silence.

Yet after 3 years since its launch, the Underground Tutoring Program remains to be operational.

Knowing the Underground Tutoring Program's meticulous screening process, Taehyung was greatly worried. His identity as a scholar was a piece of easily accessible information to those who were looking. It wasn't really a well-kept secret that Taehyung was some kind of an eccentric genius when it came to Mathematics, Science or Physics.

Curse his extremely smart and y brain.

With one last scan over his application, Taehyung uttered a silent prayer before clicking on the send button.

 

 

 

 

 

Name: Kim Taehyung        Date: May 21, 2018      Student number: 5307792

Age: 25   Course: Bachelors of Engineering       Year of Further Education: Second Year

Unit of Subject needing tutoring: Social Science 101: Introduction to Social Science

Previous marks on said unit: 37/100 within the previous exam

Additional Notes for tutors:

I am usually very good with my studies, however, I just can't wrap my head around the unit's contents. I really don't want to repeat a semester because I failed on one of my elective units. I am a scholar so my fortnightly allowance is dependent on my grades so failing is really not an option. I really need help and I was told that this tutoring service has a guaranteed passing rate so I figured this was my best option. I have never gotten a 37 before, so I really need all the help that I can get.

How have you heard of our Underground Tutoring Program?

I was looking for a tutoring service which can help me with my current dilemma and happened to cross your website. I also knew from the rumours around that there was an infamous tutoring service outside the campus which had a higher rate of passing with a lower price range. I figured as a struggling scholar student, this was my best option. So I have completed an application. I must note I am quite impressed with the rumours I have heard about the Underground Tutoring Program and its secrecy, I do hope that the fact that I requested for a tutoring service will also remain a secret to the university officials as my scholarship may be in jeopardy if the word comes out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello everyone, I am alive in case you guys are wondering.

After what has happened around the world I have suddenly found myself with a lot of time in my hands. With strict staying at home orders from the government, I have decided to take up my previously forgotten stories. I figured that the world could do with a little bit of a distraction from all the grim things happening around the world. Though, this may be not the distraction everyone needs I figured this is the least I can do for my readers who have been waiting years for an update.

I would also like to announce that I have plotted majority of the course of this story so do not fret, I have some sort of vision on where this storyline will lead us. Be very excited because I really am too!

Please leave a comment on where do you think this story is going to go?