Chapter 3: Consider Us Even

Star Light ★ Star Bright

 

Soohyun’s POV

                “Eomeoni, could you stop pacing for just a moment? You’re giving me a headache.” I complained, trying to eat my breakfast in peace as her blurry visage moved back and forth in the kitchen. She lifted her wrist to get a good glance of her watch before flinging her arm back town to her side with a sigh. Her anxiety ever since Sukyi left never subsided and I began to wonder if letting her go was even a good thing. For me, I guess it was since I don’t have to worry about giving her ungrateful self rides to school anymore.

                “I wonder how Sukyi’s doing…” She mumbled, now biting her bottom lip. She hasn’t even had breakfast and all she can think about is Sukyi.

                “Sukyi’s finally living her own life now. When will you be able to live yours?” I eyed her seriously for a second and then looked away. I never bothered to raise my voice at her before, but her over-worrying was starting to get on my nerves. It was stupid, and I couldn’t tell how much of it were lies. Neither of us were even her biological children, so to what extent could she actually claim that she loves us? All this time I just accepted it since it was better than living in poverty, but I never truly embraced the idea that I was living with two strangers. There had to be something better for me out there, and while Sukyi is out in Korea chasing her future, I’m still stuck here with an insolent woman who doesn’t even know how to look after herself. Wanting to leave the house as fast as I could, I slapped a piece of toast on a plate and slid it towards my mom.

                “Eat before you go to work.” I ordered, and then got up to leave. My car keys jingled in my back pocket and I grabbed them along with my jacket; time to head for the bank before class. As I passed my mom, it looked as if my words stabbed her like a knife, but at the moment, I didn’t really care. I’m out of here.

Sukyi’s POV

                “Sukyi! You left without me?!” Hyeyeong was huffing in front of me at the bus stop, holding onto one strap of her backpack. Did she seriously run all the way here from her house just now?

                “Your first class doesn’t start until noon today. I figured you wanted to sleep in.” I explained, trying to remember if I was imagining the right schedule. She smiled, regaining her breath and then shook her head.

                “It’s your first day of classes. I’ll just tag along today to make sure you’re doing okay. If anything, we have this,” Hyeyeong insisted, holding up her pink cell phone and waving it slowly in the air. Korean cell phones were definitely prettier than what I ever saw in America. iPhones and Blackberries were getting so overrated.

                “Gomawo,” I thanked, holding out my schedule. We already went over all my classes for today and she quickly showed me where each location was. It felt like I could rely on my memory to keep me on track, but it was reassuring having Hyeyeong here too.

                “Ooh, stats first thing in the morning…” Hyeyeong winced as she looked at the paper in my hand. She seemed like the type of hate anything involving numbers, but I on the other hand didn’t mind so much—as long as I was good at it.

                We talked so much—or Hyeyeong did—on the bus that we almost missed our stop. Conveniently, there were a lot of other students getting off there and we caught on before it left us. Just like yesterday, we headed to the west building made of glass and she escorted me right to my class.

                “Good luck on your first day!” She cheered as if this was the first time I’ve ever gone to school and left with a friendly wave. I’d imagine that she even forgot breakfast this morning and shook my head amusingly. It seemed that I was early for my lecture, but I didn’t mind the extra time. I took a seat near the middle back and began flipping through my old notebooks, the ones that I used in America. How different would the curriculums be? As I closed my notebooks, deciding that I didn’t want to start learning before necessary, I caught sight of a familiar face. It was only his profile that I got a clear view of, and it was a little strange that I would remember his appearance after just seeing him once, but there was no doubt in my mind that the guy who just walked into stats was Donghae. He was surrounded by a close knit group of friends who accompanied him to the opposite end of the lecture room and unlike the timid me, he sat near the front within perfect hearing distance of the professor. Perhaps I should sit closer to the front next time…

                Sociology was next, and I was actually kind of excited for it. I heard from Hyeyeong that my professor was a really animated speaker, and that no one got bored the moment she talked. If America was deprived of anything it would be common sense and good university professors. Despite my minimal knowledge of Korean, I had a pretty good feeling that it wouldn’t matter too much in this class.

                And a few minutes in to the lecture, I realized that Hyeyeong was absolutely right. It was fascinating how she could pull jokes out of the most seemingly uninteresting subjects. My hands were too busy writing notes to really do much else, so when my eraser fell onto the floor, I didn’t even notice until someone returned it to my desk.

                “Oh, gomawoyo!” I quickly thanked, seeing a hand place the eraser on my desk. My eyes traced the receding hands back to another familiar face who smiled back at me as if we’d known each other for years.

                “You don’t look like you’re from here.” He added, and immediately I felt cautious. Did I not look Korean? Did my clothes scream foreigner? Or was he just so popular that he recognized the faces of all four hundred people in his lectures?

                “Your hangul…” He pointed out, bringing my eyes back to my notebook, “You spelt over five words wrong in just your first sentence alone.” He was laughing now and I was too embarrassed to watch him sit down next to me. He brought out his own notebook and flipped it open to a fresh page and began writing some important phrases from the power point ahead. Now a little more self conscious, I wrote with my opposite hand slightly covering his view of my paper. Once in a while, I would hear a deep chuckle that broke the silence and knew he was probably laughing at me rather than the teacher’s witty jokes. This was when I decided to write all my sociology notes in English.

                At the end of the lecture, when our professor walked off, I quickly threw my pencil into its case and tossed it along with my notebook into my back pack. I was in a rush to leave before my face turned beat red, but his voice stopped me from taking a further step.

               “You never introduced yourself.” He pointed out, still seated where he had been but now with his notebook closed. He was waiting expectantly for me to give him my name.

                “I’m Shin Sukyi,” I finally introduced, realizing that if I ever wanted to make friends the least I could do was share my name.

                “Shin Sukyi… That’s a pretty name!” He exclaimed, whispering it a few more times to help him remember.

                “And you?” I was now curious to know whether he was the guy I thought he was or not. Unknowingly, my heart began to beat faster as he replied,

                “Yang Yoseob!” It was him! The guy at the airport with Donghae! I felt a little creepy for remembering the two so well, but I hadn’t met too many people since I got to Korea, “Nice to meet you,” He added a little moment later in English with the funniest little accent I’ve ever heard. I couldn’t help but burst out laughing as I shook his hand, and immediately he frowned. A sinking feeling of guilt began to consume me. Maybe I shouldn’t have laughed, but the mood was suddenly lifted again as he smiled,

                “I know my English is bad, but your hangul is hilarious!” From then on, I considered us even. It was only day two and it felt like I had made another friend—hopefully one who would stay.

A/N: Sorry for not updating in forever. It seems like second semester wasn't going to be as easy as I anticipated even though I don't have as many cores... I'm still having some struggles with this plot... I have the basis of it but barely any detail x_x hopefully it'll sail fine though~ I'm planning on writing a IU/THUNDER fanfic or a JINWOON/JIYEON... but I need a plot :P~ Anyway Please enjoy this chapter and i'll update again when I can ^^