Two

Sleeves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jongdae rounded the corner that led him to the library, his fingers busy punching numbers and letters on his phone, before sending continuous text messages to his girlfriend, a small frown taking place over his face.

Once he reached the gates of the library, he lifted his head from his phone and tucked the device in his jeans’ pocket. He wandered inside and almost immediately, his head turned around to search for the girl he had been talking to for ages now. 

He marched the table she liked to occupy most of the time, the exact one in the middle of this giant and vacant library. The sight of dozens of books stocked in one place all over the walls of this humongous place freaks the out of him. He was never fond of libraries. 

He found her sitting alone, more than three books strewn over the table, most of them half opened with her bronze-colored eyes flickering over the pages, a permanent frown on her delicate face. There were also lots of colored pens and pencils thrown carelessly, and Jongdae wondered if she were even using them to begin with, it seemed that she was only scribbling notes with the pencil currently in her hands.

He stalked towards her and heavily dropped himself on the chair besides hers, immediately rounding his fingers around her bicep to bring her shoulder close to him, so that he could rest his chin there and nuzzle his nose to her cheek.

She flickered her eyes to him with outmost boredom, the frown on her face straining away to reveal nothingness. After she made sure it was her boyfriend there, she cocked her head back to her books. 

“Who visits the library in their free time when they should hang out with their friends?” Jongdae mumbled sourly, annoyed with her lack of response to his presence. He also found himself detaching his chin from her shoulder, straightening himself on his chair. 

“Good students who don't want to fail their tests?” She answered cheekily, although there was nothing on her face to tell if she were joking or not. Jongdae peeked at her notes, almost at the sight of her beautiful hand-writing. He had always been fond of her hand writing. 

“Besides,” she added, opening a new page in the book she was currently having her nose stuck into, “I have an assignment by Friday and I literally have so many things I need to do, I have little time left.”

Jongdae felt bad instantly, because he was here in the library to fetch her away in the first place, because he had wanted to take her out to eat something together since his friends were finally not breathing down his neck. She had told him not to come, actually, that she’s really busy and she doesn't have time to hang around him, but he didn't believe her and wanted to drag her away. Now that he was seeing it with his own eyes how busy and disturbed she was, he burned from inside with discomfort. 

“Do you need some help?” He offered somberly, despite already knowing she was from a different department than his, and knew literally nothing of her subjects. 

She snorted with a small smile, “We all know you at math,” He smiled too, albeit a bit forcefully, because he didn't like getting reminded of that. “Not like I’m any better, but two flops would make a perfect disaster, don't you think?” This time, he was positive she was joking.

He stood up slowly, leaning down to smack a small kiss on her cheek, “I’ll go bring you something to eat and we can have our small date here. Have any preferences?”

She looked at him with a twinkle in her eyes, her whole face softening enormously that it made something warm churn in Jongdae’s stomach.

“That would be nice, thanks, and I’d like anything, just make sure to bring me be a very cold soda.”

“Well noted.” He smiled, rounding his arm around her shoulders so he could lean over her to kiss her head gently, before leaving her to her stuff.

-

Jongdae remembered the first time his eyes laid on his girlfriend. 

It was four months ago and she bad been beautifully ethereal sitting on a bench outside the campus of his school. Her hair was on a rampage and he remembered feeling amused with how disheveled she were and how exhausted she appeared. There were rings of black under her eyes and she had been holding three gigantic books that terrified him a lot.

He remembered staring a lot, and he remembered feeling a soft prick of attraction in his heart, because he liked hard-working students (he hadn't thought that concept would be a problem to him in the future and now, he thought; was so wrong to think that) He recalled his friends teasing him about liking a completely unattractive girl in appearance but still encouraged him to go for it because they didn't want him to fall under first impressions and that she might be great.

They’ve never been so wrong.

He remembered feeling quite ecstatic when he realized she was attending his college when he saw her ordering a cupcake from the cafeteria he and his friends were hanging around. She had been a lot more presentable, with her hair wrapped in a pretty ponytail with bangs, her clothes were short and elegant, and her heels were something that he never thought the hard-working student he saw would wear.

She was hard to get at first, and he didn't know why he hadn't noticed how unapproachable she was like everyone else’s perspective was telling him. He had been so whipped that he didn't care about anything else. 

He remembered the disgust in her eyes whenever he spoke to her, or the utter annoyance when he begged for a chance, or the mortification in her eyes when he announced loudly that he wouldn't stop until she said yes. 

She gave him a chance after two months of torture, and each day that passes Jongdae thought she’ll get better, that she’ll open up to him and laugh with him more. But it had been four months now and only slight changes were starting to appear. Jongdae knows he needs a dozen lot of patience to deal with her because she was guarded, aloof, and everything but open with him; but he’s not sure if he has that sort of will-power within him.

His friends had given up after two months, and they wanted him to, too. They told him she wasn't worth it and that she wouldn't relent at all now that she hadn't relented from the beginning. He remembered when they were first bestowed with her presence, and how each and every one of them grimaced at her tough barrier, at her dry sense of humor, and her constant blank stares.  They told him after that they’ve always thought Jongdae would attract a happy-go-lucky girl, someone whose just as bubbly as he was, a girl that would laugh at his jokes and ride on with his spontaneous trips.

Not.. this.

Jongdae hadn't cared then, didn't even believe that he didn't deserve her, that it's only time before she warms to him and act like a proper girlfriend. Mei didn't even care if he was sick (or he liked to believe she didn't. He hadn't really fallen sick ever since he was taken by her that seriously before, but he liked to believe she wouldn't care, because it was in her nature to be blatantly careless) he hadn't thought about it then.

But now he might just start regretting things.  

From across the only shared class they both had, Mei noticed the burning stare Jongdae had on her, and shifted to send him a glar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter