Through the Chasm

Through the Chasm

                There was a sickness in him. Inside all of them really. But he had only been able to see it recently. And for that realization, he had much to account for. Taking a deep breath, he looked around and saw the hordes of others in the area. Darkness reigned and he kept his thoughts quietly to himself. Such words would be his downfall, he knew. But he was already doomed. They all were. Except a very few who could escape.

                If he hadn't seen it with his own eyes, he wouldn't have believed it. There were always rumors and he was not foolish enough to believe them. But it was hard to deny something you experienced with your own eyes.

                It had been a battle like any other. They were always fighting. Other creatures, each other, their own demons. It was part of them. This time, their foes had been another faction. Just pitiful devils that had no chance against them. There was nothing remarkable about them at all, with one exception. They'd had a prisoner amongst them. And not just any prisoner.

 

                Clear bright eyes met his. A trail of blood seeped from the corner of his mouth, but that did not keep him from smiling up at Seyong. The expression was quickly banished - for his sake, he knew. But there was no denying that Insoo was glad to see him, even if they were on opposite sides.

                He was supposed to be dead. He'd been lost in one of their battles, like so many others. But Seyong never would have imagined that he could be one of them. The others. The side that they could never be and that no Infernal would ever consider allying with. And yet, there he was. Completely bloodied and bound but a Celestial. His wings were beautiful, even in their stained glory. And he looked happy, relieved even. No more did the dark shadow of his fallen status weigh on him. He was bright and at peace. Captive but not worried.

                The other clan didn't know who or what exactly they had, which was the only reason he was still alive. As soon as Seyong's side wiped out the resistance, his old friend stood no chance. They both knew it. And all he could do was watch in agonized confusion as Insoo's wings were rent from his back, accompanied by laughter from his twisted companions, before the Infernals delighted in separating the Celestial from his head.

 

                He'd been in hundreds of battles and none had ever made him feel sick before. At least until then. It had been over a month ago and Seyong had tried so very hard to forget it ever happened. But he couldn't. Especially since he'd managed to snag one of the pure white feathers himself. It was stained with a bit of blood, but such items were often "trophies" of their successes. No one questioned him having it and only he knew the real reason he'd grabbed it.

                "What if...?"

                The damning question wouldn't leave him alone; it didn't matter if he was looking at the feather or not. If Insoo could do it, could he as well? And how had it happened in the first place? He couldn't very well ask anyone here. They would either think he was crazy or worse, think he was serious and take care of him just like they'd done Insoo.

                So the thought continued to plague him as they continued to go on their usual treks of carnage and warfare. It was a never ending battle. No one ever expected to truly win. There was no point. They generally enjoyed fighting too much. But... Seyong found that he was beginning to tire of it. And that was something he had never thought possible.

                Day after day of dreary battles and darkness, haunted by the briefly smiling face of Insoo, he finally realized he had to make a change. But he was terrified. He'd never been to the boundaries of his realm and had only heard stories of what lay beyond. Other parties had traveled over and returned, but his clan was too near the center of their realm. They protected the interior. They stoked the fires of war and sent reinforcements when needed, but they did not stray far from home.

                Which was why he had never really seen a Celestial up close. He was beautiful, and not just because he'd been Seyong's friend before. Pensively, the Infernal glanced down at his dark, clawed hands, frowning at the dusky skin. He flexed his shoulders and then pulled a black skeletal wing into view. It had never bothered him before, but now it seemed ugly and foul. It was hard to the touch and he knew they shouldn't work like wings but for the magic of this place.

                "I don't belong here anymore, do I?" he mused aloud, the quiet whisper breaking the relative silence of his tiny room. Letting go of the wing, it clinked back into place and Seyong stared at the dark wall, his black eyes seeing well even in the dimmest of light.

                It wasn't until later that he would discover that was the single most important sentence of his life. That was how Seyong found himself at the edge of everything he knew and on the brink of life and death as he knew it.

 

                The Chasm of Creation was a natural formation at the crossroads of all worlds. Through it, one could get to any other realm, but to do so, you had to be courageous, pure or utterly true in purpose. He was none of those things, but he didn't know where else to go. It seemed as if every time he closed his eyes, he could see Insoo again, and that knowledge tortured him unceasingly.

                It wasn't that Insoo had been anything more than a friend, but they'd been close. They'd been Infernals for centuries. It was Insoo that had trained Seyong and helped him to become the fighter he was today. And he'd been okay when he thought he'd lost him the first time. That happened. It was part of their life. Nothing new. But this... Learning he was alive and had been utterly changed... that had been the real issue.

                "Soo," Seyong sniffed, swallowing once as he wiped at leaking eyes. "Why didn't you take me with you?" he demanded, feeling alone and lost and completely stranded.

                It was only a matter of time before someone else found him. If they did, it would be a death sentence for him. Another clan would love to put him out of his misery and should his own clan discover him, a deserter such as him would meet a slow and painful death. He desired neither, but he was too afraid to cross the bounds of the chasm.

                Hunching down, Seyong grabbed at his ragged sleeves and tried to make himself small. The depths of oblivion beckoned but he was too scared to take that step, to take that chance. "Fire shards," he scowled, angry at himself and just sad and lost. For a long moment, he was tempted to sit down and wait for his end to come, but then a shift in the air warned of a change.

                Black eyes snapped up and focused on the horizon. Darkness reigned but he could see figures in the gloom: other Infernals. There weren't too many of them, but they were chasing something. Even with his sight, he couldn't tell what it was, but the trackers were obviously excited.

                Curious and still unsure, Seyong stood up, his right hand drifting to the black blade at his side. "What are you?" he whispered, squinting into the gloom. A sharp breath stuck in his throat when he eventually realized it was something else - not from this realm. He didn't know what it was but he was positive that it would die if the Infernals caught up to it. Standing up, his wings flared slightly and Seyong felt nervous excitement pool in his belly.

                He didn't know what the man sized thing was or where it came from, but the Infernal had a sudden and inexplicable desire to fight. Seyong pulled the bloody feather out from under his tattered shirt and stared at it, twisting the light thing between his fingers. It felt oddly warm and he smiled before stuffing it back inside.

                Launching himself into the air, the chasm pulled at him from below as he soared over it, adrenaline already pumping through him. The small group of Infernals had managed to surround the stranger and Seyong could see they were happily taunting him. But the man thing was not without his own tricks. Wind seemed to come to life around him while the earth picked him up and shifted him out of range.

                Elementalist?

                As soon as he thought it, Seyong watched the creature stumble. He was exhausted. How long had he been fleeing for?

                Summoner then. But not a human. What was he...?

                Not that it mattered. Seyong's mouth quirked up at the side and he shivered in preemptive delight. The black sword came free of its stained scabbard with a low, hungry keen and he flexed his left claws. "Watch over me, Soo," he whispered as he streamed towards the crowd.

                Whether because they had not noticed him or because they did not care, the group paid him no mind as they closed in on the failing summoner. His defensive powers could barely keep them at bay and there was a distinctly panicked expression on his too soft face. He did not belong in this realm...

                A great hunger took root in Seyong's belly and he snarled through bared fangs as he banked hard to arc behind the nearest opponents. The blade of his sword cleaved flesh and bit into bone with no remorse; screams followed in his wake and he felt the antagonism of his foes descend upon him.

                There was no command to attack. There was only a collective rage that ripped the group in half, sending some to chase Seyong and the others to tangle with the remaining creature. "Come on!" he taunted, flying up for the high ground. He shook the blood off his blade to use it as a mirror, eyeing the pursing six who trailed him in the dim metal surface. They hadn't closed the gap between them so Seyong turned, pulling his legs under him so he could point his head and sword down.

                Two stalled at his shift, the others blindly flying after him. Enraged, they attempted to rush the lone Infernal, wings and claws and swords flashing in a frantic display of energy and hatred. Seyong's blood howled in his ears and he waited, falling slowly until he was close enough to make his move. Flapping hard with a heavy grunt, he careened past them, deflecting a sword from the nearest as he aimed for the remaining two. They were the real threat after all...

                He saw the two exchange a look and knew he was in for a fight. Closing the distance, his first exchange proved him right.

                "Fire shards," he hissed through clenched teeth, a burning tear weeping down his left arm. A quick glance back showed one was missing a limb but it had been a near thing for him too. But now he was back on par with the ground and his original target was in sight once more. "I'm coming," he promised, jittery from his decision.

                Another fly by strike cleaved an Infernal head from unready shoulders, and then Seyong was past. But he hadn't counted on his own chasers diverging back towards the man creature. "Ah, flame fury," he spat, tucking his wings to flip and roll in the air. Bony appendages snapped open and he gasped at the shock, but his feet brushed the ground and Seyong used the surface to stop fully and lurch forward. "No you don't," he scowled, feeling the feather burn hot against his chest.

                He saw one of the Infernals raise a sword to strike at the stranger. Distracted with fending off the others, he didn't even see his danger. But Seyong did. And the ones beyond... But that did not stop him from running into the attacker without slowing. His sword punched through bone with a sharp twist and he coughed at the impact of running into his target without slowing. Using the dying body as a spring board, he planted his feet and kicked the Infernal off his blade, hurling him towards the other opponents.

                He cried out when a surprise strike ripped his side open making him spin in the air. In that instant, he came briefly face to face with the stranger. A youthful face, kind eyes and a mouth that looked like it smiled often met his. A shock of light colored hair arched forward over his face while dark, shorn sides revealed him more clearly. He looked just as surprised as Seyong felt. But then those bright eyes creased and dropped to Seyong's chest, almost as if they could see something he couldn't.

                The stranger reached a hand out like he was stretching for something, his face becoming a mask of concentration as he commanded, "Come forth!"

                As if it was happening in slow motion, Seyong looked down to see a ghostly, white hand extending from his chest. His eyes widened in mute surprise and his stomach dropped when the hand moved further out, dragging a body free in the process. White ethereal wings flapped in his face and he was snapped from his stupor when the sound of swords clashing brought him back into focus.

                From the back, the apparition looked eerily familiar, but Seyong did not have a chance to stare. He clapped a hand over his oozing side and brought his own sword to bear, catching a counter strike against his hilt before he threw it off. Off balance, though, he bumped into someone from behind; only the breath of power that whispered against the back of his neck told him it was the stranger. And all he could do was hope the other didn't to kill him. They both had bigger problems to worry about.

                "We should move," the soft but tired voice encouraged in his ear, making him shiver in surprise.

                Seyong didn't question it. He flashed his wing out to snap another Infernal in the face, wincing quietly when two of his tips were lopped off in the process. One hand pushed at him from behind and he felt power surge, shoving him forward with unnatural strength. Only belatedly did he realize he was being used as an impromptu shield as he and the stranger careened towards the Chasm of Creation.

                "Wait!" Seyong gasped, feeling fear tickle his senses anew as oblivion yawned before him.

                "Hold!" the stranger called out plaintively, sadly, one arm stretched back.

                Desperate to see, Seyong looked over his shoulder and felt his heart clench in pained memory. "Soo!" he screamed, reaching over the stranger's shoulder towards the living spirit of Insoo.

                The semi-see through Celestial looked up to meet his eyes one last time, the smile warm and genuine. He saluted casually with one hand, expression never faltering, even as he was swarmed by the Infernals remaining.

                "Insoo!" Seyong howled as he was pushed backwards, entering into a frighteningly numb free fall as he lost sight of everything familiar.

                "Hold on," the stranger's voice whispered close by, his presence felt more than seen in the nothingness that swallowed them.

 

                This was it. This was how Seyong was going to die. Fading away into oblivion. He supposed it was better being beheaded or ripped apart, as was just as likely if he'd been captured by the Infernals. But still... He'd rather hoped he could find something better than this. At least he had gotten to see Insoo one last time. Or maybe that had just been a hallucination. He couldn't be real, could he?

                "Oh, he was real alright," a familiar but surprising voice whispered in the darkness.

                "Who's there?" Seyong asked immediately, knowing it wasn't really that important compared to the question he followed it with right after. "How?"

                "He wanted to be summoned so I summoned him," the man murmured in amused delight.

                "Who are you? Why can't I see you?" Seyong asked, brow furrowing in his confusion.

                "Give me your hand," the other man smiled, his voice soft and reassuring.

                "How?" the Infernal wondered, hardly aware of his own person.

                "Just reach," the other assured, his voice promising serenity.

                Seyong didn't know if he could. He wasn't even sure he had a body anymore really, but there was still a warm feeling in his gut and a slight ache in his side. Those alone told him he probably wasn't dead and if he wasn't dead, he had a chance of living, didn't he? The Chasm had swallowed him and though he didn't have courage and he had no purpose and he was certainly not innocent, could he at least try...?

                It took everything he had to will himself to raise his hand. He wasn't even sure if it happened. But then, he felt something touch it. Feather soft and oh so gentle and warm, it covered his palm and began to spread down the rest of him. Seyong thought he should have been afraid, but he wasn't. He was just glad for the sensation... As it neared his head, he closed his eyes and held his breath, waiting for whatever was happening to end.

                Light bathed his closed lids and he took a trembling breath at the realization. "Open your eyes," that same calm voice instructed.

                Shaking oh so slightly, Seyong peeled reluctant eyes open and winced at the brightness. It was too much for his black orbs and he raised a hand to shield them, but was immediately frozen in place when he noticed it was different too. Pale. Too pale. And his claws were gone. Looking past the splayed fingers, he saw the stranger from before, now kneeling beside him with a satisfied smile on his face.

                "Welcome to one of the worlds of light," he greeted, gently resting his fingertips against Seyong's lower leg.

                With one glance down his body, the Infernal noticed that his clothes were still tatters but now they too were white. "What happened?" he blinked, half afraid and half excited of what he would see if he turned his head to glimpse where his wings should be.

                "You passed through the Chasm of Creation," the stranger explained gently. "It saw you wanted to change and allowed you to do so, if you so chose," he added, gesturing next to Seyong.

                Unable to help himself, he finally turned his head and immediately felt tears prick his eyes as he saw beautiful white wings pinned under him. He covered his mouth with one hand and laughed brokenly, unable to find the words to speak for a long moment.

                "It's alright," his newest companion murmured, reaching out to give a careful hand up.

                As soon as he was upright, Seyong reached out to grab both of the man's shoulders, holding tight as he leaned his head against the firm chest. "He was right," he cried, swallowing the lump in his throat.

                "Your friend?"

                "Insoo," he nodded, his lips. "I didn't think it would be possible..."

                "And yet here you are," he encouraged, giving a semi-awkward pat to Seyong's shoulder. "I'm not sure if they'll consider you a full Celestial but you've definitely got the look," he chuckled. "Maybe you can tell me your name so I can introduce you when they arrive," he added, making Seyong look up.

                He blinked in surprise to see a small cadre of Celestials approaching, their expressions concerned, though one was infinitely more worried than the others. "Seyong," he murmured in a whisper, unsure if this was real or a dream now.

                "Well, Seyong. It's nice to meet you. I'm-"

                "Jaejin!" the particularly worried Celestial with weirdly curly dark hair called out as he got close enough. "Are you okay? Who's this? What happened? Why are you hurt? Where did you end up?" he blurted in a stream of panicked questions.

                "I'm fine, Hongki," Jaejin waved back, carefully standing up so he could pull the other man to his feet too. "This is Seyong. I found him in the Infernal realm," he gestured with a shrug.

                Frantic worry and anger and relief flashed across Hongki's face in a rapid wash of emotion. "Infernal realm?! What in the stars?! How did that happen?! Shouldn't he be...?" he trailed off, pointing at Seyong as he got close enough to look over Jaejin to make sure he was okay.

                "He was ready to change and the Chasm let him," Jaejin beamed, reaching out to cup Hongki's face.

                "Fine, but don't you ever scare me like that again!" he pointed an accusatory finger at the slightly taller man. Jaejin opened his mouth to respond, but was ultimately silenced when Hongki pulled him in for a relieved kiss.

                "Oh... Okay," Seyong nodded, immediately understanding where the frantic energy was coming from.

                "Go on, Hongki. Take him back and get him checked out," one of the other Celestials instructed as he wandered close to the three.

                "Yes, sir," Hongki gave a hurried salute before he looped a protectively possessive arm around Jaejin's waist and started moving off.

                "See you around, Seyong," Jaejin looked back to wave, immediately moving to reassure Hongki when the other man made a disgruntled sound in the back of his throat.

                "Well met, Seyong," the newcomer greeted, holding his hand out politely.

                "Um... sure," Seyong nodded, gingerly accepting the gesture. "And you are?" he prompted, his lips now that his only 'friend' had deserted him.

                "I'm Commander Kyujong," he smiled, the gummy expression disarming and confident. "Welcome to Celestia," he greeted, stepping aside to gesture behind him.

                In the distance, Seyong could see a great shining city beckoning to him. Curiously, he looked back and flinched when he saw the yawning Chasm of Creation nearby. "Urgh!" he flinched, stepping away nervously.

                "Don't worry, Seyong. It found you worthy. You've no need to fear being lost to its power anymore," he promised, patting the hand he was still holding reassuringly.

                "But I was an Infernal," he murmured in quiet confusion.

                "And now you're not," Kyujong smiled again, clapping his hand on the shorter man's shoulder. "You may have been born in and of darkness, but something in you wanted to see the light," he winked. "It may take some getting used to, but I'm sure you'll fit right in. The Chasm makes no mistakes in that regard." His expression was carefree and warm, but his tone was so solemn, Seyong almost felt as if he couldn't doubt it.

                Still, he had to look one more time. Something in him wanted to change did it? His hand rose up to touch the spot under his shirt where a bloody feather had recently rested. "I suppose so," he murmured, feeling his lips pull up into the first genuine smile he'd felt in a long time.

 

a/n: I hope this is acceptable! I wasn't feeling up to a more romantic pair and there's hardly any fluff, I know, but I do hope that you enjoyed it (@my SS requestor). Granted, the same goes to everyone else who has gotten this far. Thank you for taking the time to read and I hope you have a great day! ^_^