episode v

LAW & ORDER: EXO UNIT

e p i s o d e   v

“Morning sunshine!” Jongdae calls as Yifan slowly trudges into their conference room, “Looks like someone didn’t get his beauty sleep, huh?”

“Not right now Jongdae, I haven’t had my coffee yet,” Yifan grumbles.

Jongdae throws his arms in the air. “Again! I get absolutely zero appreciation!”

“I appreciate you Jongdae,” Yixing pats their tech genius on the shoulder as he enters the room, a blueberry muffin in his other hand.

“Thanks man,” Jongdae thumps a fist to his chest, “I appreciate you too. We don’t need the rest of these jerks.”

“This ‘jerk’ can have you doing paperwork without a computer for the next couple of days,” Yifan threatens as he plops into his usual spot at the front of the room, pulling out the files he’ll need for the meeting.

“You can tie me up with paperwork, but you can never tie up my freedom!” Jongdae crows, shaking a valiant fist in the air as the remaining three make their way into the conference room.

Minseok places a mug of freshly brewed coffee and Yifan smiles gratefully at the elder. “Thanks Min. I don’t know what I’d do without your coffee skills.”

“Probably die,” Yixing helpfully supplies.

“Rhetorical question Yixing, it was a rhetorical question.”

“But you didn’t even pose it as a question.”

“I- You know what, I’m not caffeinated enough to deal with either of you two just yet,” Yifan says, sending a pointed look to Jongdae and Yixing before taking a quick swig of his coffee and clearing his throat. “Alright guys, focus up here. As you know, we need to take some time to address some recent events regarding the deaths and its relation to K’s activity…”


Knock knock.

“Come in,” Jongdae sings, swiveling around in his desk chair to greet his visitor.

Zitao tentatively peeks his head in. “A- Am I disturbing you?”

“No, no,” Jongdae beckons the intern in, leaning back in his seat and picking up his cellphone. “What do you need, bud?”

“Your text,” Zitao looks behind him nervously, as if someone was going to show up out of nowhere to yell at them. “I got here as fast as I could after class but then we had that meeting. Did- Did something happen that I didn’t hear in the meeting? Is everything okay?”

“No,” Jongdae says gravely as he holds out his phone to show Zitao the screen, where Jongdae is… playing a game? “I’ve been stuck on this level for an entire ing week and it’s pissing me off. Yixing told me that you’re a master at this game so you were my last hope.”

“You- what?”

“I know it’s a weird request, but I just really want to pass this level and keep on playing.”

“You…” Zitao lets out the breath he was holding ever since he received the text for help. “You just needed my help… for a game?”

“Yeah,” Jongdae looks up at him, confused. “What’d you think?”

“I- I thought you were in trouble, I thought-” Zitao stammers, blinking in disbelief. “You know what? Nevermind, I was just- I was just overthinking things.”

“Happens,” Jongdae shrugs, holding his cellphone out a little further and Zitao takes it from his hands to help pass the level. “It’s no wonder you’re a ball of stress since you’ve been shadowing Yifan around the field recently. That guy’s a high strung workaholic.”

“He’s not- I mean he sort of is, but-” Zitao squints at Jongdae’s phone as he tries to play and verbally defend who he practically considers his career idol.

“Not necessarily in a bad way,” Jongdae’s quick to reaffirm, standing up to see how far Zitao has gotten. “Holy Yixing wasn’t lying, you’re playing it like a pro. I’ve never even made it that far in the level. But yeah, Yifan’s a good guy, but different people have their own unique ways to work at their best. Duizhang’s just happens to be more stressed and swear word filled than others. I know you’re supposed to learn from him but you have to branch out in your own strengths, right?”

“Yeah,” Zitao nods, tapping at Jongdae’s phone screen the last few times to ensure a victory before handing it back over. “There you go.”

“My hero,” their tech genius fakes a dramatic sniffle to show his gratitude. “I’ll never forget your noble deeds from today.”

“Is that really all you needed?” Zitao fiddles with his fingers, taking the time to look around the elder’s office. It’s probably the first time he’s been in Jongdae’s office. Come to think of it, Jongdae is generally never in his own office, preferring to wander around their building and bother others. How the does he get his work done?

“Yup,” Jongdae locks his phone and leans back into the chair, looking far too satisfied with his accomplishments for the day which were… well, nothing really.

 “Don’t…” Zitao stares at his carefree coworker. “I mean, do you not have anything to do today?”

“Mmm,” Jongdae hums in thought, heads behind his head. “I’ve been running searches on the most recent victim and his connections, but it’s been a rather slow day. Might go see if Yixing wants to grab lunch with me later. You want to come with?”

“Ah, no I’m okay. I think Duizhang said he had something planned for me later today.” Zitao wonders how those two haven’t driven Yifan up the wall with their lackadaisical behavior yet.

He gets his answer moments later.

“Jongdae!” comes Yifan’s roar. “Why was I just informed that all the computer monitors back at headquarters have had their display background switched to one of my old baby pictures?!”

Zitao snorts as Jongdae scrambles out of his chair and shuts his laptop close.

“That’s my cue to get out of here. Remember if he storms his way in here, tell him I’ve moved to Peru and I’m never coming back.” Jongdae snatches his keys, wallet and phone before rushing past the intern and dashing out the door. Zitao bursts out into a fit of giggles when he hears Jongdae’s overdramatic scream, probably due to being caught trying to escape by their team leader. It’s a nice feeling, a slight weight of anxiety and stress from the recent events lifting off of his chest. As if he’s letting out a breath he didn’t realize he’s been holding.

Perhaps that’s why Jongdae is so good at his job. Not just as their genius hacker, or a constant thorn in Yifan’s side, but as a crucial, relieving role in their team.

Jongdae is the very glue that keeps their team from bursting at the seams, no matter what the circumstances.


Kyungsoo doesn’t exactly run what’s considered the most average household.

“I’m back with dinner!” He calls as he steps through the front door of their condominium.

The pitter patter sound of footsteps is heard as Jongin rounds the corners, the boy all smiles as he takes the bags off of Kyungsoo’s hands as the elder shrugs off his coat and toes off his shoes. “Fried chicken?”

“If you sneak a bite before the others make it to the table you’re in charge of washing dishes tonight.” Kyungsoo warns.

“A sacrifice well worth my beloved,” Jongin murmurs as he scurries off to their dining room, a chuckling Kyungsoo following not too far behind.

“I smell fried chicken!” comes Baekhyun’s screech from the second floor. “Jongin, you better not hog all the drumsticks like you did last time!”

“There won’t be much left if you don’t get down here soon,” Kyungsoo’s eyes crinkle in amusement at the inhuman speed Jongin is unpacking their dinner. Usain Bolt has nothing on Jongin when chicken is involved. “He’s already agreed to doing the dishes for a head start.”

“Jongin, you !” Baekhyun lets out several more incoherent curses before he’s bolting down the stairs to protect his share of food. “You know that drumsticks are Chanyeol’s favorite!”

“It’s like I’m running a daycare,” Kyungsoo mutters to himself as he watches the two engage in a poke war, dinner momentarily forgotten. “Except all the children are on Korea’s Most Wanted.”

“Thanks for grabbing dinner, Soo,” Chanyeol throws him a soft smile as he comes downstairs, sliding into a seat far enough from the other two but close enough to grab two chicken drumsticks for his plate.

Jongin and Baekhyun are still jabbing fingers at each other by the time Junmyeon and Sehun return from whatever it is they were out doing and Kyungsoo finally decides to separate the two.

“Alright, alright, hands off.” Kyungsoo pinches both of them in the side, effectively sending them squirming back into their respected seats. “You both tied for most immature on the team, happy?”

“Yes, mom,” Baekhyun replies in a mocking, high pitched voice, quickly taking a bite of kimchi in submission at the look Kyungsoo sends him.

The rest of the night is mostly uneventful, filled with mostly small talk and TV watching. Baekhyun and Chanyeol have already snuck back to their rooms to do god knows what, and the maknaes have fallen asleep on the couch mid-show, their long legs tangled on top of the coffee table. Kyungsoo makes his way out onto the balcony where Junmyeon is standing, leaning against the guard rail as he looks out into the city skyline.

“Long day?”

“Not too bad,” Junmyeon replies, eyes trained on everything yet nothing in front of him as though searching for answers from the city itself. “Sehun and I went to go leave Yixing and his friends another gift.”

“I don’t think Yixing appreciates you dropping dead bodies for his team to investigate as much as you think he does,” Kyungsoo comments drily. “Actually, you know what, I’m going to rephrase. Yixing definitely doesn’t appreciate it.”

“How else can I get him to notice me then?” Junmyeon finally looks away from the bustling urban landscape to stare at Kyungsoo. “I don’t know any other way. He found me before because he knew that only he could stop me. I just have to-”

“Jun,” Kyungsoo’s voice is gentle, but laced with a tinge of sadness for his disillusioned friend. “Why do you really kill?”

“I’ve already told this to Sehun,” Junmyeon looks away, “It’s fun. That exhilarating feeling when the light leaves their eyes, the look on their face when they realize that they’ve lost, it’s- it’s exciting. You know this world has been twisted the day we were born, Soo. We kill because we’re strong, we kill because we’re in control of the world.”

“Then why can’t you get Yixing?”

“That’s different,” Junmyeon snaps, mood clearly beginning to turn sour.

Kyungsoo knows it’s time to back off. He’s known Junmyeon ever since they were in diapers, but to this day, he still can’t quite pinpoint when Junmyeon changed and became a ruthless, calculating killer. But perhaps Kyungsoo isn’t one to talk. After all, though he has never had to kill anyone himself in all these years, he’s stuck by Junmyeon’s side the entire way.

Perhaps he's the real disillusioned one.


“Focus. Don’t waver your gaze and keeps your hands steady,” Yifan instructs as Zitao carefully holds the gun up, taking aim at the target standing at the end of the shooting range. Training the boy in handling firearms wasn’t originally on Yifan’s schedule for another couple months, but after their last run in with K members, he decided that it was essential for Zitao to learn to protect himself with a gun should the occasion require him to do so.

“Annnnd, now!”

Zitao pulls the trigger, the sound of the shot muffled by earmuffs to prevent ear drum damage. Yifan turns to look up to the television screen where they can get a closer look at the target. A clean bullet hole in the dead center of the heart. Zitao is a natural.

Yifan turns around, preparing to congratulate and praise his intern when he suddenly hears a sniffle.

Zitao is staring at the screen, eyes watering as he stares at his perfect hit.

“Hey, hey, what’s wrong kiddo?” Yifan asks, “You’re doing great!”

“I-I-” Zitao is quivering, gaze unwavering from the body target with a hole right through the heart. “I killed him!”

The boy begins to sob, and Yifan is at a loss for words.

“Tao, it’s okay,” Yifan cautiously reaches up, patting Zitao’s shoulder as if he’s approaching a wounded animal. “You know it’s not real, Tao. You did very well, I’m proud of you, I really am.”

The intern lets out a sniffle, trying his best to calm down. “S-Sorry Duizhang, I- I guess I just wasn’t ready…”

“You’re too soft, kid.” Yifan chuckles. “You want to save everyone, but you need to understand that you can’t protect yourself with just your martial arts and compromise.”

“I know…”

“K is more dangerous than we ever imagined.” Yifan says, eyes darkening at the thought of them. “I need to know that you can protect yourself with a gun if the situation arises.”

“I understand,” Zitao wipes at his eyes and gets back into position. He can’t let Yifan down. “I’m ready when you are, Duizhang.”

“This time, go for the right clavicle, as though you’re trying to disarm an opponent.” Yifan quickly puts his earmuffs back on.

Zitao nods and takes aim.

Bullseye.


Yixing is bored.

Jongdae has been banned from sneaking out for lunch with him and is officially on paperwork duty for at least a week due to his stunt earlier in the day. Minseok is busy with the autopsy of Kim Yooncheol, Lu Han is analyzing samples from the explosion debris with the rest of his CSI team, and Yifan’s taken Zitao out to the shooting range. He sighs as he spins around in his desk chair in the front of their building, staring at the same spot on ceiling to keep from getting too dizzy.

Being the receptionist can sometimes be such a lonely occupation.

He’s deciding whether or not he should stay overtime to keep Minseok and Lu Han company (read: protect a tired Minseok from a tired and loopy Lu Han’s advances) when the phone rings. Yixing pauses mid-spin to answer. “Hello?”

It’s quiet on the other side of the line for a moment, before a faintly familiar voice speaks. “Yixing? Is this Yixing?”

“I go by Receptionist Zhang during business hours,” Yixing dutifully informs the caller. “What can I help you with this evening?”

There’s another pause, before he finally receives a reply.

“Do you remember me? It’s me, Suho.”


Finallllllyyy back! Except now finals are coming up lol rip

Thank you for all the support and patience! I feel blessed to have all of you all as readers OuO

If you enjoyed reading, please subscribe, upvote, and comment!! It'd be much appreciated :D

Hope everyone has been doing well and Happy Monday!

Less than three,

PalmerPie