mornings

and i, for you

 


 

There’s nothing better than the feeling of waking up after a well-deserved sleep. It was already mid morning; the sun was high up in the sky and the bed room was well-lighted. The morning breeze gently tapped against the window, hoping that it would be able to wake up the occupants in the room.

 

Kang Seulgi turned and tossed around in bed. The rays of sunlight shone on her eyes and she was slowly being awakened by the song of a promising day. She stretched as she yawned. Her eyes fluttered opened to see the face that she loved waking up next to everyday.

 

He was still fast asleep. His face was completely at peace. His plump lips slightly open, his eyelashes resting on his cheek, his hair completely a mess. Always a sight Seulgi welcomed.

 

The sight of Park Jimin.

 

She rubbed his cheek gently with her thumb as she looked at him. It was sight she had only dreamed off when she was younger. She never imagined that the boy who lived across from her, the one she would play with as a child, the one who became her first kiss, the one who was her best friend, the one who drifted away from her, the one who was her crush throughout highschool, the one who moved away during senior year would someday become the guy she would awkwardly bump into at the office, have a reunion with, start dating, and eventually get married to.

 

The road to that single moment of waking up next to him was long and full of twists and turns. Time and time again, they had been victims of wrong timing. They always kept missing the person who was right in front of them, looking around to others for the love that they wanted. Little did they know it was always right there. When they finally did, everything seemed right. Despite how hard it got, despite their disagreements and fights, knowing that they had each other by their side brought them both strength and comfort to face anything that came their way.

 

Jimin’s eyes fluttered open to the sight of his beautiful wife. He rubbed his eyes as he smiled at her. Her presence was as bright as the sun and as gentle as the morning breeze. He felt warmer just being around her.

 

“Good morning,” he greeted.

 

Seulgi melted at the sound of his morning voice, all y being hoarse and deep but still adorable with his light lisp. He moved a strand of her hair out of her face and she smiled.

 

“Good morning,” she greeted as she kissed his forehead.

 

“How are you feeling today?” he asked her.

 

She smiled as she rubbed her belly. “The little one’s getting hungry.”

“Well, that can’t do,” Jimin said as he jumped out of bed. “I supposed I’ll have to make breakfast for this hungy pregnany lady right here.”

 

Seulgi giggled. “You’re going to make me fat with everything that you’re cooking for me.”

 

He winked at her. “What can I say? You love me because I can cook hella well.”

 

She rolled her eyes at him. “No, I love you because you’re a dork.”

 

“Who cooks well,” he added as he waved his eyebrows at her. “Come on, just admit it. You can’t resist a good plate of deviled eggs Park Jimin style!”

 

She laughed at him. He was too cute to resist.

 

“Fine,” she said with her hands up in the air in mock defeat. “I’ll admit I married you for the food. Food is truly the way into anyone’s heart.”

 

He winked at her. “Atta babe. You’re learning quickly.” He then gave her his hand to help her stand up. “I’ll cook the eggs and bacon while you make kimchi rice and pancake, how’s that?”

 

She smiled at him and nodded as she stood up. Being a naturally thin person, Seulgi wasn’t quite used to the extra weight on her abdomen area. She had a hard time balancing herself. Then there were the episodes of morning sickness that left her feeling weak and dehydrated. She was glad that Jimin took care of her well.

 

The two of them worked in the kitchen. It was a saturday so both of them were quite easy-going and comfortable. They played as they worked and teased each other. By the time they were finished cooking breakfast, Jimin’s face was covered with flour and Seulgi’s nose was graced by a streak of ketchup.

 

“You’re a complete mess,” Seulgi remarked as she looked at him while shaking her head.

 

“Says the one who’s to blame for this,” he retorted as he wrapped his arm around her waist. “There’s a little something on your face.”

 

“Huh? Aside from the ketchup?” she said as she touched around her face trying to find whatever Jimin was talking about.”Can you wipe it off? I can’t seem to find it.”

 

“My pleasure,” Jimin replied with a smirk on his face as he wiped Seulgi’s lips and leaned in closer to kiss her.

 

“What a liar,” Seulgi replied as he pulled away from her. She hit him playfully on the chest. “If you wanted to kiss me, you could’ve just asked.”

“Where would the fun be if I did?” Jimin told her as he winked. She rolled her eyes at him but smiled at his flirtatious tactics. He was an idiot but she loved him regardless.

 

They finished their breakfast as they discussed about the baby. There was so much to consider: room decor, cribs, trolleys, car seats, clothes, and more. They were both excited in their discussion. They wanted to know the baby’s gender so that they could decide on names and clothes. They wondered whether it would take after it’s father or mother. They talked about the future they wanted for their child.

 

Needless to say, their breakfast discussion became into a liesurely afternoon discussion as they finished their food and washed plates. Then they decided to lie down on the couch and have a binge watching marathon. As the two watched Eleven and Mike finally reunite after so long and have a proper first kiss, they couldn’t help but be reminded of themselves.

 

“Remember our first kiss?” Seulgi asked.

 

Jimin chuckled. “How can I forget? You were crying behind the tree because your parents were fighting again.”

 

She sighed at the memory. “Yeah… it was really scary back then because they were on the verge of divorce. They were saying such horrible things to each other.”

 

“I could tell. I had never seen you cry that much before. Nothing seemed to calm you down. You only talked when you told me to promise to never leave you,” Jimin said.

 

“And you promised with a hand on your heart. Then, your flirtatious thought it would be sweet to kiss me at that moment.” She snorted and rolled her eyes. He didn’t change at all.

 

“Kang Seulgi brings out the best of me,” he joked as he put his arm around her. “I fully intend on keeping that promise ‘til the end of time.” He put his hand on her stomach. “I never imagined living the way I do with you… and despite my lackings as a father, husband, and man, please never doubt that I only want what’s best for you and our child.”

 

Seulgi smiled warmly at him before leaving a soft kiss on his forehead. She then snuggled into his warm arms and lay down comfortably.

 

“I love you, Park Jimin.”

 

“And I you, Park Seulgi.”