Of Petals and Strings

La Douleur Exquise

****

Is this what love is?
Does it hurt the more you do it?
The more I get closer to you
My feelings grow bigger
It scares me

****

 

The only light that can be seen inside the dark room was coming from the television that has been continuously rolling the credits from playing a well-known renowned film in Korea. The movie has long been awaited by viewers to be released on TV as it has been a blockbuster film since it has been shown in cinemas.

 

The movie has already ended but the thing that keeps on replaying on Chanyeol’s head like a broken record is the news that came in between the movie’s commercials.

 

And as if on cue, a loud and somewhat deep cough was the only sound that has surrounded the giant’s room.

 

For the nth time---Chanyeol has already been tired of counting---distinct red rose petals filled his room. Petals colored with the shade the same of blood and love are scattered all around his place and he has already stopped counting how many times this has happened. The male is fully aware that he should put a stop to this. Just like what everyone says…just like what his parents, his older sister Yoora noona, his bestfriend and comrade Baekhyun tells him to do…

 

But Chanyeol just…couldn’t.

 

He even thinks at the back of his head on how absurd his family and friends can be telling him to end this all when they have all been aware of how long he has been harboring this special feelings until this point that this might actually even kill him.

 

Okay yeah, maybe he is the one who’s absurd.

 

But Park Chanyeol just couldn’t find it in himself to put a stop to this, to just act casually and forget the feelings even though all it has brought him is pain…Chanyeol knew he just couldn’t.

 

The door of his room opened along with a heave of deep sigh from Baekhyun upon seeing the same situation in front of him over and over again. It just frustrates the male on how stubborn this Park Chanyeol can be but Baekhyun could not blame him. They surely are best friends as they both are in the same situation.

 

The only difference is that Chanyeol got a little bit more unlucky and got that disease.

 

“Yoda, seriously, just how many times would you like us to tell you to do the surgery! Doctor Jung has already told us that your hanahaki disease is already on it’s most critical stage. How long are you going to be so stubborn about this?!” Baekhyun frustratedly rants at Chanyeol.

 

The giant just smiled although Baekhyun could even see it with both of his eyes that the smile didn’t even reach the male’s gigantic ears. His eyes were tainted with such deep loneliness and longing---longing for a love that they both knew is way long too impossible.

 

“I----I seriously don’t even know myself, Baek.”Chanyeol sadly answered, “Don’t you think I am scared too? I am fcking scared with all of this s***t. I even got to the point that I ask why of all people in the universe I just have to belong to that small percent of people who has this?! Why does it even have to be me?!”

 

Chanyeol frustratedly brings his palms to his face, “I am fcking scared, Baek. I am, I really am.”

 

“I hear a but..”

 

“And that fcking BUT is what keeps me from doing that surgery. I wanted to live, Baek. I still wanted to see EXO rise from top of the charts and be known all around the world. I still wanted to continue my dream of producing my own album, writing songs, collaborating with good artists, doing drama and so much more. I still wanted to see my dream coming true…”

 

Chanyeol halted for a second before continuing, “---but no matter how much pain this may cost me, it has never even crossed my mind to forget this feelings, to forget that I love her, to forget that for once, I have become special to her even though I know that is all I can be to her.”

 

Baekhyun sadly watched as a lone tear escaped from Chanyeol’s eyes. It was even an understatement to say that he is stunned as he was dumbstruck to see their group’s “Happy Virus” at this current state. If only he can do something, if only he can turn back time.

 

Baekhyun sat beside the giant male and looked intently at the petals scattered under his feet, “Chanyeol, we both know that you will soon need to do it even if it is just for your sake. No matter how much painful this may sound but----we both know that it’s the only way.”

 

Chanyeol just nodded his head, “I know, Baek. I know but please just let me suffer this until that time, eh?”

 

Baekhyun could do nothing but to shake his head, “You are one hopeless case, Park Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol just gave him a smile as he look at the red petals all around his room.

 

****

Such a precious person to me
That person, who won’t ever come again
That’s it for me, that’s enough
Just the fact that I love you

****

 

“Okay everyone, that’s a wrap!” their director, a young and strict lady on her early thirties, shouted.

 

The cue was followed by rolls of cheers and laughter from everyone in the set of the movie. Finally. Finally they were able to finish and wrap up the movie that has almost took them three months to do the convincing and finalizing and another nine months to shoot. Well, it has all been worth fit as the movie is the first collaboration of two of the big 3 entertainment agencies in Korea: SM and YG Entertainment.

 

Chanyeol widely smiled as he watched his co-stars and the movie’s staffs and crew almost giddily cheered and congratulated one another as they were able to finally finish the movie. A tug on his arm caused the giant to look behind him and was welcomed with a sweet smile he would definitely always like to see.

 

“Channie, we finally did it!” his muse, the sole reason for his disease, the person he didn’t want to forget his feelings for, cheered lively at him.

 

He managed to smile, “Ne, Dara-noona. Congratulations to both of us!”

 

Dara, as always, full of enthusiasm nodded her head, “Awww, my little Channie is being humble this time! Yah, don’t be shy to take credits, young man! It was mainly because of you and your great acting skills! Daebak, daebak! To me, Yoon Jae would not have any better portrayer compared to you!”

 

Chanyeol unconsciously bit his lips to stop himself from blushing too hard hearing such compliments from Dara. The truth is, he really did put quite an extra effort in playing the movie’s lead role---opposite to Dara---as he does not want to be a burden to her and further embarrass himself. Though, he was quite a bit sure he did as it has been an inside joke to everyone on how much he blushes everytime they have to do a kissing scene.

 

The giant male was cut from his thoughts as he felt Dara pinch both of his ears, “Da---Dara noona!”

 

“Eeeehhhh, mianhaeyo Channie but I just can’t help but pinching this cute giant ears of yours! Hihi!” Dara giggled like a child, “Oh I forgot, what is Baek’s nickname for you?”

 

“Noona!” Chanyeol was now as red as a ripened tomato.

 

Dara laughed, “Ah! I remember! Yoda! That’s right! HAHA! So cute, Channie!”

 

Chanyeol could just pretend to be annoyed when in fact he knew deep inside he will never be annoyed with Dara. He just smiled as he watched Dara laugh while enjoying herself pinching his ears. It was because of this that his ears he used to hate is something he now loves the most.

 

The two was cut from their playfulness when their director and producer called everyone for an all expense paid post-dinner buffet to everyone as a celebration. Dara, together with their co-actresses and Chanyeol’s hoobaes from Red Velvet, Irene and Joy, got into one car with their director while Chanyeol settled himself with his sunbaes, SeungYoon and Hanbin, in another car with their producer.

 

At the hotel, everyone was truly having the time of their lives as unlimited supply of soju, different kinds of snacks and foods were served for free. Of course as expected, Chanyeol was the lead photographer for the group’s selcas and photos. It was Chanyeol’s own way of sneaking stolen pictures of Dara.

 

It was during dinner that an unusual topic has been brought up.

 

“Red strings of Fate? Eonnie-ah, do you even believe in those?” Irene asked Dara as it seems like she was the only one to believe about the rumor inside their circle.

 

Just like his Hanahaki Disease, there has been rumors that a certain percent of people could actually see the “red string of fate” of anyone including themselves. The “Red String of Fate” is a legendary myth that the end of a certain red string is tied on a person’s pinky finger which is connected to his or her soulmate. Chanyeol heard stories that no matter what happens, the strings will never be broken.

 

If only his’ is connected with Dara’s then maybe..just maybe, he no longer needed to do the surgery.

 

But then again, it was all his wishful thinking…

 

Dara nodded to Irene, “Ne, I believe in it. How could I not when I can actually see it?”

 

“EHHHHHH?!”shocked gasps were automatically heard upon everyone hearing Dara’s answer. Even Chanyeol was surprised himself. He did not imagined Dara would belong to that small percent of people.

 

Like he would not imagine he would also belong to that 20% who has the Hanahaki Disease…

 

Joy enthusiastically turned to Dara, “You mean eonnie-ah, you can actually know who is the soulmate of another and even yours?”

 

Dara nodded casually as if it was actually not a bother to her, “Ne. I already saw who’s connected with mine. Wae, Joy? Bet you wanted to know who your soulmate is huh?”Dara even playfully moved her eyebrows up and down to tease the young idol.

 

Chanyeol might have just imagined it but from his peripheral point of view, he saw Joy looked at his direction. It might just be his imagination for when he turned around, he saw Joy with her full attention on Dara. He just shrugged it off and continued listening to their conversation.

 

Joy was almost as red as the color of her hair as she turned to Dara, “Eonnie-ah, stop teasing me!”

 

Dara just laughed, “Aish, wae? Everyone wanted to know who their soulmate is, right?”

 

As if this has been a cue, the crowd has gathered around Dara trying to ask her who their soulmate is. Dara just laughed it off as she tries to answer each question while not fully revealing the answer. Chanyeol just watched Dara enthusiastically answer their group while remaining on the side. Truth be told, he did want to know who his soulmate is but it just might cause him even more pain knowing his own situation.

 

The male just decided to be alone for sometime. He turned his direction to the beautiful veranda of the hotel they were in and was amused of the scenery that appeared to him. The calm sea and the dark night sky seems to welcome him in his silence. He breathed the fresh air of the sea and calmed his thoughts. His thoughts on whether he should finally approve to do the surgery.

 

“Channie?”

 

Chanyeol was broken from his reverie of thoughts as he heard his name has been called. He turned around and saw Dara on the door frame. Dara silently made her way on his side. A wide smile painted on her lips as she saw the beautiful scenery in front of her.

 

“WOAH! OMO! OMO! This is so beautiful! Didn’t know this hotel is hiding this beautiful scenery from us! You’re quite lucky to have found this, Channie!”

 

Chanyeol just smiled and silently nodded, “Dara noona, mainhaeyo for asking but why did you come here? Seems like you were much a crowd favorite back there?”

 

Dara cutely scrunched her face, “Aish, I didn’t expected those people to be that too much hyper! HAHA! I was bombarded with questions that I have to excuse myself and escape from them! I did not expect people to be that so much interested in knowing who is the person meant for them. Seems like more and more people are being hopeless romantics nowadays!”

 

The both of them laughed.

 

“You should have expected it, noona. Almost everyone will be interested to know who is the one meant for them and you were gifted with that kind of ability. I think you should even be thankful for it as you do not have to go through the pain of loving someone who is not even meant for you. You can just fall in love with the one you are meant to be with and boom! Happily ever after!”

 

Chanyeol thinks Baekhyun would definitely call him a masochist if he ever heard his words.

 

Dara nodded and turned her attention to the sea, “Happily ever after, huh?” he heard her ask. Just as he was about to ask what she means, Dara turned to him, “How about you, Channie? Aren’t you even a bit interested to know who your soulmate is? You know I can tell it to you for free as you are my favorite dongsaengie---well, at least next to Thunder.”

 

But much to Dara’s surprise, Chanyeol just shook his head, “Aniyo, noona. I don’t want to know and I never wanted to know.”

 

“W---Wae?”

 

Chanyeol just shrugged, “Let’s just say that it’s my personal way of writing my own story” or I don’t want to know that it’s not you. “I guess I belong to that small percent of people who doesn’t want to know who their soulmate is, huh?” Chanyeol just laughed to hide his pain and turned his attention to the beautiful dark night sky.

 

He avoided Dara’s eyes so much that he fails to see something that might actually save him…

 

Dara just hummed as a response.

 

Call Chanyeol a masochist even a noble martyr but seems like it was just natural for people to find ways of inflicting pain to themselves even more as he turned to Dara, “I was just thankful that you have that kind of ability, noona, and you were able to find GD sunbae-nim.”

 

This time, Dara turned his attention to him, “H--Huh?” a moment of silence before it has already dawned on Dara, “O---oh yeah….yeah…I was quite lucky huh?”

 

Chanyeol tried to smile just as wide, “Congratulations on your engagement, noona! And hoping for the best wishes on your wedding day! Send me an invitation, jebalyo?”

 

Dara just smiled at Chanyeol, “Sure!” suddenly, Dara got her phone from the pocket side of her jeans, “Omona! How come it has gotten this so late?! Mianhaeyo, Channie but I have to go now. GD is waiting for me at the lobby already. Can you please do me a favor and tell my goodbyes to everyone?”

 

Chanyeol just nodded as he watched Dara turned her back on him.

 

Just in time as he coughed vehemently and saw red rose petals scattered on the same exact place where Dara has been.

 

****

The one person who can’t see me though I am looking
The one person who can’t hear me though I am calling
Do you even remember me?
Do you even think of me?
Just once, please 

****

 

“I don’t know what I have done in my past life to deserve such a stupid, and a masochist friend like you. You are seriously frustrating the hell out of me, Yoda! Do you know just how much your parents, Yoora noona, manager-nim and the whole EXO is worried about you?!” Baekhyun frustratedly massaged his temples, “Are you even listening to a word I am saying?”

 

Chanyeol just smiled at Baekhyun as he continued munching on his food. Baekhyun just face palmed himself and got out of the room. Chanyeol was all wide smiles as he heard Baekhyun let out an angry rumble outside his room.

 

The giant was really thankful for his bestfriend for being always there despite of his stubbornness. He was also grateful for the vocalist for saving his life just in the nick of time.

 

Chanyeol was supposed to go to his and Dara’s film press conference when suddenly he felt a stabbing painful ache in his chest. Suddenly, beads of sweat are profusely appearing all over his body, his throat has become dry and a certain wave of dizziness consumed him.

 

He coughed terribly that he almost drowned himself with red rose petals. But the most alarming state of his situation, as soon as he was able to cough the petals, unlike before where it almost takes months for the petals to wither, the petals immediately wither after 5 to 10 minutes. Along with that, blood was also visible with the petals.

 

He was almost unconscious when Baekhyun, who came to check on him before going on his date, saw his situation and immediately rushed him to the nearest hospital. It was then that their members finally knew of his situation. Since he woke up, each one of them has been constantly asking him to do the surgery but all he answer them is a smile.

 

He also asked Baekhyun and their manager not to tell anyone involved in the film about what happened to him. As frustrating it might be, Baekhyun and their manager has been left with no other choice but to agree to his plea. Fortunately, the press conference has been canceled due to the stars conflict of schedules.

 

Chanyeol smiled as he saw Baekhyun sat on the chair on beside his bed and got the knife and the apple he was trying to cut into cute little bunnies. The giant was confused when he saw the serious look on his bestfriend.

 

“Baek…”

 

Baekhyun looked at him, “Park Chanyeol, don’t be dumb with me this time. I am fully aware that you are already awake when Doctor Jung told us about your state. You are already on the most critical stage of Hanahaki Disease. Rose thorns has already starting to appear on your body. I know that you are also fully aware that the rose petals are now easily withered unlike before and blood has already been visible. Chanyeol, you have to do the surgery once and for all!”

 

Much to Baekhyun’s surprise, Chanyeol nodded, “I will.”

 

“GREAT! I’ll now call Doctor Jung to----”

 

“But after the film’s promotions.”

 

“PARK CHANYEOL!” Baekhyun angrily shouts at Chanyeol but the giant just sternly looked at him as if there is no one who can change his mind.

 

Chanyeol avoided meeting Baekhyun’s eyes, “Please, Baek. Please. I will do the surgery no questions asked but just after the film’s promotions. Let me be with Dara noona even for the last time. Let me experience special moments with her even if I know I won’t remember any of it after the surgery. Let me promote this movie that many people including you has worked hard for. Please, Baek.”

 

“But----”

 

“Just let him be, Baekhyun.”

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun both looked surprised at the group of persons that appeared in front of them. It was the whole EXO even including Luhan and Tao. It was Kris who called their attention. All of them have smiles and pity for the situation of their group’s “Happy Virus”. Kris and Suho both walked on Chanyeol’s sides as if supporting him.

 

“But Kris hyung----”

 

Suho just smiled, “Let our Yeollie be happy even just for a while, Baek. The memories that he’ll have with Dara noona will be his rock while doing the surgery. Besides, now that we all know of his situation, it will be easier to support him, ayt?”

 

Baekhyun has left with no other options but to nod. He looked at all the members and finally smiled. Guess it would not be that hard this time.

 

“So, EXO?” Kris cued.

 

Everyone smiled as they all shouted together…

 

“EXO SARANGHAJA!”

 

****

The only thing I can do is cry but
Like a fool, I am waiting
Please come to me now
Come to me just like this
My last wish is that one person, you

****

 

No matter how much EXO and their management, SM Entertainment, tried to hide what happened to Chanyeol, different rumors and scandals has spread like a wildfire about what really happened to the main rapper of the famous k-pop boy group. Unlike what they have expected, it took Chanyeol a month and a half to recover and another week was asked by Doctor Jung to fully examine and prepare him for his upcoming surgery.

 

Because of the situation, SM Entertainment finally decided to break their silence and honestly tell the media about Chanyeol’s situation although lying that he has only a waist and knee injury that needs surgery. It’s not actually lying as the whole side of the Parks and even EXO both agreed to keep the truth about Chanyeol’s situation to their management.

 

It was the day before his check out in the hospital when an unexpected visitor came by to visit him.

 

“Joy?!” Chanyeol surprisingly called his hoobae from Red Velvet Joy who came to visit him.

 

Luhan and Sehun who are currently both tasked to take a toll on him knowingly both exited the room leaving him and Joy alone. Joy put the baskets of fruits and flowers on top of Chanyeol’s bedside table and sat on the chair in front of it.

 

“Oppa, how are you? Director-nim told me about your situation and I came as soon as I heard the news. Irene eonnie and the others will head out here as soon as they were fully-rested from our flight.”

 

Chanyeol scrunched his brows in confusion, “What do you mean by that? You went here straight ahead after your flight?!” Joy shyly nodded, “Aish, this saengie! You don’t need to do that besides I will be out tomorrow to continue promoting our movie. You should have just rested----”

 

“BUT OPPA I WANNA BE THE FIRST TO SEE YOU!”

 

Chanyeol admits that he was kind of startled at Joy’s outburst but most of all at how Joy looks at him, full of determination on her eyes, “Oppa, I know the truth behind your illness. You have Hanahaki Disease, right?” this surprised Chanyeol even more and just as he was about to ask, Joy continued, “I---I accidentally saw you coughing out petals at the back of our set when Dara eonnie went out with GD sunbae-nim. I know even before that you like her but I didn’t know that it will come to this point.”

 

“Joy…”

 

“I heard from Suho oppa and Sehun that you’ll be doing the surgery after the film’s promotions. Oppa, I will patiently wait for that time and once it was done, I’ll make you fall for me this time!” Joy determinedly stated as she exited out of the room.

 

The male rapper was just left startled about everything. If only he can turn his feelings to Joy, things might not be this complicated but he knew, the heart can never be taught.

 

“Mianhaeyo, Joy. But I failed to tell you that after the surgery, I won’t even know how to love again.”the male rapper could do nothing but to whisper this to the wind.

 

****

To you, I’m a small person
Just someone you know
That’s it for me, that’s enough
Just the reason of love

****

 

Chanyeol silently watches the dark night sky from the windows while trying to catch his sleep. He was all alone inside his room. He asked this from EXO and his family to let him be alone even for this night as he knew they also needed to rest and he needs the time to think about things thoroughly.

 

He got his own personal music sheet and a pen in hand as he continues to admire the deep dark night sky which has been lit up with stars and the brightness of the moon. The male rapper thinks of what might happen after his surgery. Will he really forget Dara? Will he really be able to forget his feelings for her and the happiness it has brought him? Will he also really forget how to love?

 

Is this excruciating pain he experiences with his disease also the same with the pain of dying?

  

Chanyeol unconsciously put a hand on top of his left chest. Doctor Jung already gave him a background on what was going to happen with the surgery. The doctors would need to take out the bloody red rose that grew inside his heart. Aside from that, they would need to cleanse his body to cut the thorns and fully heal the part where the rose has grown. With all these having said, it may be easily refer to as fully taking away all of his romantic feelings.

 

This has been the reason why after the surgery, he may totally forget how to love or worse, forget that love has even existed in the first place.

 

The giant thinks deeply through it---will I really be able to live without these feelings?

 

He was almost drowned in his thoughts that he failed to notice his door being opened. He was returned to reality upon hearing a not so subtle cough. Chanyeol turned his head and was surprised of his unexpected visitor.

 

“D---Dara noona?”

 

“Annyeong, Channie! Did I disturbed you?”

 

Chanyeol could not help but to panic but was able to shake his head. The young idol was dumbstruck as he tries to think of reasons why Dara was visiting him. It has been months and almost all of his co-stars and the film’s crew were able to visit him except for this one person who is now in front of him.

 

Dara settled herself sitting on the vacant chair beside Chanyeol’s bed after putting the basket of flowers, mini rilakkumas and chocolates on top of the bedside table. Chanyeol could not help but to smile upon seeing the weird yet cute combination inside the basket.

 

“Well, I know most of the patients’ visitors got them either a basket of flowers or fruits but I know you might have been so tired of having those so I got you that. Yah Channie, am I so daebak?! Look at those mini rilakkumas! I even got those straight from Japan!”

 

Chanyeol thankfully nodded his head, “Ne, Dara noona is daebak, daebak!” the both of them just laughed, “But noona, how come you got those from Japan?”

 

This time, Dara has an apologetic smile painted on her beautiful face.

 

“Mianhaeyo, Channie-ah, if I was only able to visit you now. The moment I heard the news about your hospitalization and surgery, I really intended to come back here in Korea straight ahead to visit you but I cannot back out on my commitments in the Philippines then after in Japan. Mianhaeyo, Channie-ah…Dara noona is a bad sunbae-nim and noona~!”

 

Chanyeol immediately shaked his head. The male idol could almost feel his heart from bursting from too much happiness knowing that his muse, his Dara noona thought of him even just for once. He could not help but to smile widely at the thought.

 

“Aniyo, noona! You don’t need to apologize. I understand that you may have a busy schedule and I was very very grateful that you even thought of me and even came by here now to visit me.”Chanyeol smiled but then a sudden realization dawned on him, “Noona, don’t tell me you went here straight ahead from your flight?!”

 

Dara has no other choice but to nod, “Ne. I just need to visit you. Truth is, I just took a two way trip here from Korea to Japan. I need to go immediately as I need to catch my flight back to Japan.”

 

“EHHH?! Noona-ah! Why do you have to go through that much?! You could have just visited me after since I’ll also be checking out tomorrow. You are exhausting yourself, noona. Mianhaeyo…”

 

Dara just smiled sweetly as he shook her head, “Aniyo, Channie-ah. This time, I’ll be the one to tell you that you don’t need to apologize for anything. It was my choice to visit you and want to see you.”

 

“Noona-ah…”

 

Chanyeol could only feel his heart almost bursting from happiness. Being like these with Dara, having these moments with her and being able to feel these kind of feelings, it was enough for Chanyeol. It was enough for him despite the painful fact that his feelings will never be requited.

 

That night, after Dara left and Chanyeol was left alone in his room, he coughed again vehemently but this time, to his surprise, it was not red rose petals that he coughed but rather petals of…

 

pink daisies.

 

****

The one person who can’t see me though I am looking

The one person who can’t hear me though I am calling

Do you even remember me?

Do you even think of me?

Just once, please

****

 

“Thank you for answering my question, Chanyeol-sshi, Dara-sshi.”one of the media reporters thanked Dara and Chanyeol. The both of them are currently in their film’s press conference and some media reporters were able to ask the on-screen loveteams different kind of questions.

 

The emcee nodded, “Thank you, Mr. Kang from CBN Entertainment news. Next is may we call on Mr. Jeon from ABC Entertainment Buzz.” he called as a young reporter in his 20’s stood up and got his mic from one of the event’s crew.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Dara-sshi and Chanyeol-sshi. I just wanted to ask, how was it being shipped with each other? Before the film has begun, we have all been aware that there has been a lot of bashers from the fans and supporters from both of your sides. But after the film, it was just crazy on how much your fanbase---people would like to call as ChanDara and the fandom as Vitamins---grew! It was even internationally acclaimed and if I’m not mistaken, your loveteam will be receiving an award for the upcoming Golden Drama Awards. So, how was it?”

 

Chanyeol let Dara answer first, “As you have said, yeah, it has been crazy yet fun. It was fun working with Chanyeol---as I would like to call him, Channie---and I got close as well to EXO who are really talented. At first, yeah, I admit I was kinda awkward at first mostly because people judge us because of our but how amazing it was that we eventually clicked. I have learned even before that you cannot really please everyone but for our fans who are continuing supporting us, ChanDara especially to our precious, Vitamins, thank you from the deepest of our hearts! Saranghae!” and Dara did a finger heart sign that caused almost everyone to squeal.

 

It was now Chanyeol’s turn, “Like Dara noona said, I admit it was really awkward at first. You all know how much I idolized and respected 2ne1 sunbae-nims and have a crush on Dara noona.”almost everyone squealed at Chanyeol’s words which caused the male to blush even more, “EXO and even my mom and Yoora noona were always teasing me about it even when it came to our set. Oh yeah, I need to take my revenge on director, producer and writer sunbae-nims for teasing me on the shoot!”

 

The three mentioned shouted together, “YAH!”

 

Everyone just laughed.

 

Chanyeol continued after giving the three mentioned a cute peace sign, “But kidding aside, it was a great honor to be a part of this film and to work with someone like Dara noona. As for the , I don’t think that is really necessarily a problem to us as Dara noona said, we eventually clicked together. And yah, Dara noona’s a vampire!”

 

“CHANNIE-AH!”

 

Chanyeol and everyone chuckled at Dara’s cuteness as red started to paint her face, “I am just really grateful for this one of a kind opportunity and chance to showcase my skills not just as an idol but as an actor as well. We don’t want to think about our bashers but we wanted to send our deepest gratitude to everyone especially our Vitamins who has supported us throughout this film. Saranghae!”

 

The reporter just nodded and gave his thanks to the two as he sat down. The emcee called for the next reporter to ask.

 

“Annyeong, Dara-sshi and Chanyeol-sshi. I am Min Hani from Allkpop news. My question is for the both of you but mostly for Dara-sshi. Sandara-sshi, it has been all over the news nowadays about your engagement with BigBang’s leader and your labelmate, Kwon Jiyong known to the Hallyu world as GD. How do you think this might affect the promotions of the film and for Chanyeol-sshi, what do you specifically feel about this?”

 

Dara was the first to answer, “Truth is, it was quite a shock to us that the news spread like that like a wildfire. I mean, I have no intention of hiding it, I just wanted to find the perfect time to tell it to everyone. I really hope this does not affect our film’s promotions as the film’s plot and story line was really good and a must for everyone to see. GD has been supportive to me all throughout.”

 

Chanyeol almost wanted not to answer but like he was trained for situations like this, he showed a wide smile as if it has mean nothing to him, “I was actually glad for Dara noona and GD sunbae-nim’s engagement. I think I was actually one of the persons who first congratulated them as soon as I heard it on the news. I don’t really think it will affect the film’s promotions as everyone has been supportive of their relationship ever since. For our shippers, please still continue supporting Dara noona and I.”

 

Both the two has been asked a few more questions and Chanyeol was really thankful for the training he got for situations like this or he might not be able to finish the press conference.

 

Dara and Chanyeol were on their way to their dressing room when suddenly they saw GD waiting in front of their dressing room holding a big bouquet of roses for Dara with a large smile on his face. Chanyeol tried so much not to be affected with the scene right before him.

 

Dara was about to walk to GD when suddenly Chanyeol got the courage and hold her hand to stop her.

 

“Noona…”

 

Dara was visibly taken aback with his actions, “Channie-ah…”

 

Chanyeol tried to stop his tears, “Noona, don’t. Jebalyo, kajima.”

 

“Cha--Channie-ah, wha---what do you mean about that?”Dara tried to be casual with everything.

 

But she got no answers from the male idol as Chanyeol just turned his head down and finally let his tears fall, “Noona-ah…”

 

“Channie…”

 

“Dara noona-ah, ju---just answer me this question first before I let go of you…”

 

Dara just hummed as a response.

 

“Do---does your red string of fate really connects with GD sunbae-nim?”

 

Chanyeol saw Dara nodded her head.

 

“Do---do you really lo---love him?”

 

People have some ways of inflicting more pain to their selves. Some think it was absurd, some think it was masochism but for Chanyeol, he thinks it was just his way of finally facing the truth and accepting pain as it has been served for him.

 

So as Dara nodded her head, Chanyeol knew.

 

Chanyeol knew it was finally time to let go.

 

“Channie-ah, look at me.”Dara enclosed Chanyeol’s tear-stricken face with both of her hands, “I don’t know what is happening but you know you can always talk to me about that whatever it might be, right? Let’s have a deal. I’ll just talk to GD for a while then let’s go to that cute cafe downtown that you have been bugging to me always and set this straight, okay? Just wait for noona, arasseo?”

 

Chanyeol half-heartedly nodded.

 

“Yah, Channie-ah, ju---just promise me, jebalyo.”

 

“I----I promise, noona.”

 

Dara smiled as he lets go of Chanyeol, “Okay, wait for me here and I’ll just talk to GD.” with that, Dara hurriedly walked towards GD’s direction.

 

But as people say, promises are meant to be broken.

 

And as Chanyeol saw Dara’s happy smile with GD, the giant could just close his eyes and let his tears fall freely from his eyes.

 

“Annyeong, Dara noona-ah. Kamsahamnida….”

 

And as he turned his back, Chanyeol could do nothing but to whisper his love for Dara.

 

“Saranghae, Park Sandara noona. Saranghae…”

 

****

That one person, you
You are my only love
My heart can’t let you go
Just as much as I love you
Each minute and each second hurts so much

****

 

Doctors are frantically running everywhere with nurses on their back assisting them. A young lady on her early twenties is beside her mom trying to calm her even despite the fact that she knew she wasn’t even calm herself. Her dad was on their side nervously looking at the door where the team of doctors went inside.

 

Byun Baekhyun, together with EXO, are with Chanyeol’s family praying so hard to all the gods they knew for Chanyeol’s safety. Yes, today was Chanyeol’s surgery. It was abrupt but was needed immediately.

 

EXO was visiting Chanyeol and was about to invite him for a barbecue dinner as a celebration for the sudden completion of their group when they saw a fainted and pale Chanyeol lying on his back on the cold floor with blood and withered rose petals scattered around him. They immediately and discreetly called an ambulance.

 

Upon arriving at the hospital, Doctor Jung informed them and his family---who arrived as soon as Baekhyun told them the situation----that the giant needs to undergo the surgery immediately or he would definitely not make it. Apparently, the thorns has started to occupy most of his body and the petals clogged his breathing. The Park family and EXO was left with no other choice but to agree for Chanyeol’s life.

 

Chanyeol was half unconscious as the doctors were now trying to remove the red rose from his body. He clenched his fists as he was slowly feeling the pain of the surgery. The male idol could do nothing but to let his tears fall and let sleep take him all before calling her name for the last time.

 

“Dara-noona…”

 

****

The one person who appears even when I close my eyes
The person who is next to me even in my dreams
Do you even remember me?
Do you even think of me?
I miss you, please

****

 

Dara was startled and was cut from her own reverie when she heard a glass break from the table beside them. She was just reminded that she was currently in a fine dining restaurant and having her usual date slash dinner with her fiance, GD.

 

GD held her hand with worry visible on his eyes, “Dara-ah, you are still not eating anything. Is there something bothering you?”

 

Dara could not lie anymore to GD as she knew it was unfair to the both of them. It has been three months after she saw Chanyeol and that heart breaking scene that keeps on playing on her head. She wanted to blame herself. If she just didn’t left Chanyeol that day, things might have been different. Things might have gone the way she wanted it to.

 

Dara knew it was all her fault. It was because she let her own fear and insecurities win upon her. Dara knew she was the one to blame for all of this. She could still hear Chanyeol’s words keep ringing on her head.

 

“...I think you should even be thankful for it as you do not have to go through the pain of loving someone who is not even meant for you. You can just fall in love with the one you are meant to be with and boom! Happily ever after!” 

“...I think you should even be thankful for it as you do not have to go through the pain of loving someone who is not even meant for you. You can just fall in love with the one you are meant to be with and boom! Happily ever after!” 

“...I think you should even be thankful for it as you do not have to go through the pain of loving someone who is not even meant for you. You can just fall in love with the one you are meant to be with and boom! Happily ever after!” 

 

And everytime she remembers it, she just could not help but to blame herself for everything.

 

Chanyeol has been right from the start. She was already given this special kind of ability, to see people’s soulmates through their red string of fate, and yet she still chose to complicate things. Hah! Love truly is not complicated but rather, people are. But can anyone blame her? Can anyone blame her if she was afraid? Can anyone blame her when her insecurity about their age got into her?

 

Yes, Chanyeol was her soul mate.

 

Yes, Dara knew it the moment their eyes met.

 

And yes, Dara lied to him about everything.

 

She lied on who her soul mate is. Choosing that maybe falling in love with GD is rather more convenient than with Chanyeol. How foolish of her, she knew. She knew Chanyeol will never fall in love with her or maybe he is but not romantically like what she wanted, like what she dreams of. How can he fall for her when he can fall in love with someone who is more beautiful, talented and younger than her? And so, Dara chose what she thought the easy way.

 

But things are now getting a revenge on her. Three months after the film’s promotions has ended, Dara was not able to see Chanyeol again. It was like destiny is playing with her as their schedules are always on conflicts. Aside from that, the young actress was surprised that her co-star, Red Velvet’s Joy was introduced to media as Chanyeol’s new on screen loveteam. Dara felt betrayed but most of all, she could not help but feel that excruciating ache in her heart.

 

And that is why she has decided to set things right in their places.

 

Dara looked at GD, “GD, I---I have to tell you something..”

 

Dara can’t understand it when she saw GD smiled bitterly at her, “You’re backing out on our engagement, am I right?”

 

“GD…”

 

GD just continued, “I tried to, Dara. I tried so much to make you fall for me. I tried so much to turn your attention directed only to me but I guess I still failed.”

 

Dara sadly turned her head down, “Mianhaeyo, GD.”

 

GD shook his head, “Aniyo, Dara. You don’t need to apologize. It’s just fate telling me that the red string cannot really be broken.”

 

“Y---You knew?!”

 

GD nodded his head, “Ever since the way I saw you look into him, there’s a special spark in your eyes that lit up and that’s when I concluded---ah! I have already lost. Truth be told, I still tried making you fall for me and I was ecstatic when you agreed to my proposal. I know it was because of your insecurities eating you up again but I was nonetheless thankful not until I saw that young man in the hospital weeks ago.”

 

Dara’s eyes almost bulged out in surprise, “Chanyeol was admitted again in the hospital?!”

 

GD nodded, “I heard his co-members talking about something about Hanahaki disease and I tried to put all the puzzle pieces together.”

 

This time, Dara can’t help but let tears fall from her eyes as realization dawned upon her. Chanyeol was suffering from Hanahaki disease because of her. Her insecurities and fear caused the man she love to suffer from what he thought as unrequited love.

 

“Chanyeol…”

 

GD held her hand, “Dara, you now have to face your fears for both of yours and Chanyeol’s happiness. I may not know the man entirely but I know he’s so much in love with you. I’ll be letting go of you but please in exchange, make sure that you’ll be happy with him, arasseo?”

 

“Kamsahamnida, GD. Kamsa.” GD just smiled as he wiped Dara’s tears, “I’ll make sure to find a way to repay you for everything. I promise.”Dara stated as she stood up.

 

GD shrugged, “You could at least tell me who my soulmate is.”

 

Dara knowingly smiled, “I know you knew her you’re just trying to deny it.” she said her goodbye as she exited the restaurant and determinedly on her way to set things right.

 

GD whispered as he watched Dara’s back, “Maybe…just maybe.”

 

****

The only thing I can do is cry but
Like a fool, I am waiting
Please come to me now
Come to me just like this

****

 

Dara tried so much to ignore the knowing and accusing looks from people as she strides her way inside the SM Entertainment building. Good thing she got help from her friends, Amber, Henry and Donghae, so she easily got an access pass inside the place. Admittedly, SM is more extravagant looking than YG but she will still choose YG nonetheless.

 

It just took her more time than what she expected as she even had a meeting with SM’s CEO, Kim Young Min, who is still trying to persuade her to be part of the entertainment agency. It was quite fluttering to know of how much the CEO still admires her but she still rejects saying how grateful she is for YG and she will forever be.

 

The young actress and idol heaved a deep sigh as she was finally in front of the place she was initially planning to go to before her plans quite got ruined. She knocked thrice before hearing a word inside giving her the permission to open the door.

 

It was an understatement to say that EXO was surprised for they were starstruck-ed when all of a sudden, in the middle of their practice, a beautiful goddess-like appeared right in front of them as if showering them with blessings. Yeah, it was quite poetic to say but still they can’t all help but to admire Dara’s incomparable beauty every time they saw her.

 

“Dara sunbae-nim, annyeonghaseyo!”the boys all bowed before her as a sign of respect.

 

Dara just laughed, “Awww, you guys are so adorable! I told you to call just call me Dara noona! You are all still looking good, eh? As if EXO could ever look ugly to say the least.”

 

“Ka---kamsa, noona.”Suho utterly thanked her, “Uhmmm, sunbae----I mean, Dara noona, what brought you here?”

 

Dara looked at them one by one and scrunched her brows when she failed to see Chanyeol. She turned to Suho, “Suho-ah, I came here to talk to Chanyeol but it seems like he is missing. Do you know where he went to?”

 

Baekhyun was the one to answer her, “Dara noona, before we answer that, I think there’s something important we have to tell you.”

 

“What is that?”

 

Just as Baek was about to answer, Chanyeol came inside holding two large plastic bags of what Dara can assume as coffees. The giant male confusingly looked at her as if not knowing her before turning to Suho and Baekhyun.

 

“YAH! You didn’t tell me that we’re going to have a visitor!”

 

“Chanyeol, it’s just that----”Baekhyun was cut off again when Chanyeol, with his usual wide smile that reach from both sides of his ears turned to her.

 

But the words his lips ask is what Dara beyond her imagination could never ever think of…

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, I am Park Chanyeol-sshi, EXO-K’s main rapper and the group’s “Happy Virus”. Uhmm, mianhaeyo for asking but-----

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Who exactly are you?”

 

**** 

My last wish is that one person, you

****

 

-FIN-