BYE

Goodbye
"You're in luck today, Doctor Jung."
 
The beautiful woman clad in a long white coat looked at the nurse confused. "Why is that?"
 
"I heard there's a hero among the patients." Hero, huh? "Apparently, he saved a dog and injured himself."
 
Chaeyeon looked amused by her statement. "It is rare to see people like that these days," she smiled softly, leaving the nurse to go to the Emergency Room. Usually, she won't be in charge there but half of the staff was sent to a rescue mission two hours away and she was left out due to her protective boss.
 
She stepped into the Emergency Room and noticed that there weren't much critical patients, only a few people with the flu. She attended to some of them but they had gotten the treatment from a nurse earlier. Remembering about the patient the nurse mentioned, Chaeyeon spotted the hero. It was a man dressed in a black suit. She couldn't see his face as his back was facing her.
 
She took large strodes and reached for latex gloves. She glanced at the man who looked handsome, even just by his back.
 
"So, you're the hero. I heard you saved a dog," she took a stool and put it beside the bed.
 
Once she took a look at him, her lips parted but no words came out. She was surprised and even stunned, seeing the person in front of her in many years.
 
"Chaeyeon?"
 
"...Jaehyun," his name rolled off her tongue so smooth that she remembered the time she used to always call his name before. A feeling of nostalgia washed upon her. He looked good looking as usual, now more refined, and mature, of course. He had gotten older the past six years.
 
"You're a doctor," he commented, eyeing the white uniform she had on. She cleared and nodded, taking a seat on the stool. She was currently seated across him, making eye contact with him and he was staring at her.
 
"I am," she replied, a tad bit late as she leaned close to his forehead where she noticed the injury. Jaehyun had bent down to matched her height and tugged onto his hair, freeing his forehead. His wide clean forehead now has a wound about three centimeters long but not much blood lost.
 
"I see," the atmosphere was neither awkward nor comfortable, it had a slight feel of everything. He hasn't lifted his gaze from her and she noticed this but shrugged him off. He stayed still the whole time she examined his injury. She treated his wound softly, afraid of making too much contact with him.
 
Chaeyeon disinfected his wound in silent while Jaehyun on the other hand was contemplating whether he should say something or not. When she accidentally dabbed on his wound too hard, a low wince came from him. She stopped for a second out of shock.
 
"Sorry," she gave him an aplogetic smile and continued swabbing away the blood. He could only stare at how focused she was in her job and admired her looks. She grew up to be such a fine woman. He was honestly surprised that he had met her so fast after arriving back to his hometown. Jaehyun had been studying and working overseas for the past six years, making this day the first day he was back.
 
He was happy he rescued a dog's life from an accident and he was proud of himself. Now that he met Chaeyeon again, his head was in the clouds. Nothing can explain how much he missed the lady in front of him. She looked so pretty and became much more gorgeous from the last time he saw her—during Graduation Day. Jaehyun's face fell as soon as he recalled what happened on that day.
 
"What's wrong?" Her voice snapped him out of his thoughts. It was almost like a deja vu. She had asked him the same question during their school days when he was bothered with some problems. She had such a worried expression that he calmed down in no time. Guess Chaeyeon did have some power over him. He was able to let his guard down without being judged and that's what he loved the most being with her.
 
"It's been a long time," I haven't even forgotten about you once,
"You look the same," If not, much more prettier.
"How have you been?"
 
Hearing how awkward Jaehyun was trying to act comfortably made her laugh. She finished treating his wound and wrapped it with a cotton bandage. He stared at her bright face, one he didn't get to see at the end of their school year.
 
"W-why are you laughing?" He was a bit confused as to why she suddenly laughed.
 
"You can just be normal with me. We were friends, weren't we?"
 
Deg!
 
Chaeyeon's question tugged his heartstring and also made her own stomach churned.
 
"We were, and still are, right?" He asked back. Without replying him, she touched his wound and he winced.
 
"I think you need stitches," she told him.
 
"Do I have to?"
 
"It's a shame, such a handsome face." She mumbled under her breath.
 
"You think I'm handsome?" He asked, a grin on his face. She froze for a second and cursed in her mind for saying that out loud. She composed herself and smiled casually.
 
"You've always been,"
 
"Even from before?" He asked.
 
"I guess you don't really need stitches, it'll heal soon enough. A month or two. I'll prescribe something for you," she turned around to write down her prescription.
 
He sighed silently as she ignored him again.
 
"Alright, sir. I'll pass this and make sure to take it after this. If it hurts or anything, you should meet a doctor," she said.
 
"So, I can meet you?" He looked up at her with a hopeful expression.
 
"You can meet your personal doctor. No need to come here," she smiled while cleaning up the cotton and throwing it away.
 
"Why can't I?
 
She ignored his question, yet again while sitting back down to bandage his wound. She taped cotton onto his forehead and stood up.
 
"Here," her hands unconsciously brought out a lollipop from her coat pocket and gave it to him. He stared at the sweets then to her slowly blushing face and back to the lollipop.
 
"Sorry, it was out of instinct, I take care of kids so, I just have this with me." She was about to keep the lollipop back when he reached for it.
 
"Thank you,"
 
"You eat...sweets?" She asked, confused since the Jaehyun she knew didn't really favor sweets.
 
"Ahah, something like that," he smiled to himelf while keeping the lollipop in his coat. She stared at his actions sadly as a thought paced through her mind.
 
It's been years. He's probably married and has a kid.
 
"Okay, I guess that's it. I'll be taking my leave now," she bowed down and excused herself. Chaeyeon tried to control her expression which was turning sour.
 
"Goodbye," he managed to say before she was gone. He stared at her until she disappeared into a corner. A sigh left his lips. Things were easier when they were younger. The sad reality of the them being adults already made him realize just how much of his life was wasted.
 
Just when she thought things could go right for once, it never would.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Click.
 
Click.
 
Click.
 
Chaeyeon kept on clicking on her ballpen as she stared into space. She was free at the time. No patients to treat and no surgeries scheduled.
 
She was frustrated at herself because the only thing that had been running across her mind for the past month was one man.
 
Jung Jaehyun.
 
She disliked it when her thoughts were distracted. She hated not having work because it lets her to wander off and remember him.
 
She convinced herself he was married and she was nobody to him. She didn't heard any wedding news so he probably got married quietly. She clicked her tongue dissatisfied.
 
Why was she thinking about him again?
 
"Jung Chaeyeon,"
 
She glanced at the person and wondered how she didn't hear him enter. She sighed silently. "Yes?"
 
"How dare you sigh in front of me? Just because I adore you doesn't mean you can act like that."
 
"I didn't ask to be adored by you, oppa." She said.
 
"What's with you? It was just a joke," he nudged her shoulder.
 
"I know," she replied nonchalantly.
 
"Are you okay?" He asked, looking a bit concerned.
 
"No, nothing's wrong. I'm just..." she sighed again, thinking back to what happened.
 
"Whatever it is, you can tell me, okay? I'm always here," he smiled as he ruffled her hair playfully.
 
"I know, you're like a shadow."
 
"Not for long, the engagement party is in a few days."
 
"No need to remind me," she clicked her tongue and ushered him to leave. He chuckled amused by her sudden change of attitude.
 
"I'll see you later," he said then left her alone in her office.
 
The engagement party.
 
It was as big as the hospital's annual party. A lot of people were sure to come. Especially because the only heir to N Hospital was going to be engaged. His company owns a lot of businesses. People are bound to be interested.
 
Talking about business reminded Chaeyeon of Jaehyun again. He was also the heir to his family's company. If she was sure, N Hospital and Jung Group have been working for over than fifteen years.
 
It reminded her why she never saw him after they graduated. He studied abroad. Maybe that's the reason he didn't attend the hospital's annual party. It made sense.
 
She was going to meet him, this time maybe she'll see his wife and kid if he was attending. She can't back out of the party just because of him. She was an important person in the party after all.
 
I hope things go well.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
"Welcome,"
 
Chaeyeon greeted the guests who just arrived with a bright radiant smile. Her beautiness for today was much more than usual. She looked happy. The guests were nostly stunned by her shining aura and can't help but to smile back.
 
Her cheeks were hurting from over smiling but she had to do it anyways. Her job wasn't to sit down and look pretty even though she would rock that job.
 
She sat down to take a rest after almost an hour of standing amd welcoming the guests. The event would start soom. She straightened her legs and stood right back up.
 
"Chaeyeon,"
 
She turned around and kept her poker face as she saw her parents. It had been around five months since she last saw them.
 
"Hello," she greeted politely and bowed.
 
Her parents acknowledged her then headed inside. They literally have nothing to talk about. She still hates her parents and doesn't really talk to them.
 
She watched them go inside until they reached their seats. Seeing where they were seated, she cursed in her mind.
 
Damn you, oppa. You set me up again.
 
Jongsuk didn't say anything about inviting her parents to the engagement party. Although she was sure they would've been included, it still surprised her.
 
I hope they leave soon.
 
She was quite uncomfortable with her parents, still even after six years. She doesn't meet them that much and she rarely talks with her mother during work. For today, she probably has to talk to them.
 
"Hello,"
 
Chaeyeon looked at the recently arrived guest with a bright smile. Her smile faded when she realized who it was.
 
"Jaehyun,"
 
The dimpled man smiled at her. "Hello, Chaeyeon."
 
"Hello," she bowed slightly.
 
"Thank you for the invitation," he said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.
 
"Oh, yes. What about your parents?" She asked, looking around. And your family? No wife and kid?
 
"They're overseas today. I'm here on their behalf," he explained while she nodded.
 
"You came alone?" She asked.
 
"Yes," he replied.
 
Weird.
 
"Well, please, welcome in." She gave way to him and he stood there, staring at her.
 
"You look pretty," he commented, smiling.
 
"Thank you," she said while blushing. He didn't see her face since she avoided his gaze.
 
Jaehyun had left to his seat a while after and her eyes followed him. A scoff came from her because she saw him sitting at the same table as her parents. He had greeted them and started a conversation.
 
Chaeyeon, on the other hand, felt like knocking her head onto a door. Why does he have to be so friendly? Can he not keep quiet?
 
While staring at their table, she noticed how handsome he was today. He looked extra good looking and his side profile fluttered her. She knew she wasn't supposed to be having these kind of feelings.
 
It was wrong.
 
Without realizing, Jaehyun had turned around and their eyes met. Chaeyeon got flustered by his sudden action and flinched as she looked away. She could feel her pulse quicken.
 
I can't believe he caught me staring. What a fool.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
"Attention to all guests, may I please have your attention?" The MC in charge of the party announced.
 
Everyone was paying attention to him as he started to introduce himself. Jaehyun, seated near the VIP table, lifted his head from his food.
 
He scanned the room and found Chaeyeon standing near the wall, looking at the MC. He wondered what she was doing there and not getting ready. His eyebrows narrowed as his face scrunched and he silently excused himself.
 
Curiously, he made his way to her side. While passing through the small crowd, the MC continued talking.
 
"I'm very happy to be MC-ing for today and for one of my close friends. I'm glad he finally found someone to be by his side."
 
He stopped to give some respect. Even when he was listening to the MC, his eyes were still stuck on her. He noticed the bright smile on her face and he got more confused.
 
Why is she over there? And why's she smiling like that?
 
Is she not going up?
 
Or are they planning an extravagant entrance?
 
Jaehyun looked a bit displeased and was frustrated at himself. He felt like such a fool.
 
Why did I even come in the first place?
 
I'm just going to get my heart broken again.
 
"Please welcome our two special people for today, Lee Jongsuk and Park Shinhye,"
 
Jaehyun froze as he was stunned from the announcement. He saw the said couple walk up to the stage and his first instinct was to look at Chaeyeon.
 
Contrary to his prediction, she looked like the happiest person yet in the party. He got even more confused and the puzzle pieces started to match in his head. Though, one question remained and he took the chance to go to her side.
 
She was rather taken aback by his sudden appearance as her eyebrows raised. He didn't bother to explain and pulled her out of there. With his strength, she didn't resist but was still confused as to why he was pulling her.
 
They reached a distant place from the party and he let go of her hand. He covered his face while she tried to figure out the reason she was doing out there and not inside.
 
"You," he called out, his back facing her.
 
"What?" She replied.
 
"I...how did that hyung, how did he end up with that woman?"
 
"What are you talking about?"
 
"Jongsuk hyung, why is he getting engaged to her?"
 
"Why?" She asked back, not understanding his question.
 
"Yes, why. I thought for sure, for sure that you were...you were going to be—No, why are you even here?"
 
"Excuse me, mister Jung, you were the one who brought me here." She pointed to his hand. "And I'm the co-party planner."
 
"I mean, how can you? I thought that you would be the one engaged to Jongsuk hyung," he confessed.
 
"What?" She looked deadpanned surprised. "Didn't you check the invitation? Their names were listed." She said.
 
He sighed deeply and raked his hair back. "How come? You're the person who's been by his side like a worm for more than seven, six years!"
 
"That doesn't mean anything," she said.
 
"Then, why did you stay?" He asked, looking at her.
 
She went speechless while staring back at him. Her words got stuck and it was like a sudden realization to her.
 
"I was his..." she mumbled and trailed off.
 
"You were his what?"
 
"I was his moral support," she replied.
 
"His what?" His expression darkened and his eyes narrowed.
 
"I'm his moral support," she said again.
 
Now Jaehyun looked much more angrier than before and his breathing got heavy.
 
"Why would you even—I can't—Why?! How did you—What kind of bastard even does that?" He cussed.
 
She narrowed her eyes, not understanding why he was acting furious out of nowhere. "Don't talk like that about him," she said, adding fuel to the fire.
 
Jaehyun inhaled sharply as he turned around and left.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
"Where were you? You missed the ring exchange," Jongsuk told Chaeyeon once he saw her. She forced a smile on her face.
 
"Sorry, I had to go to the bathroom," she said sheepishly.
 
He stared at her curiously. "You look kinda stuffy. Do you feel fine?"
 
"Yep! Just a bit tired," she replied, putting on her exhausted expression.
 
"Right, of course you are. You helped me a lot, thank you," he said.
 
"No problem. I did it for Shinhye unnie too,"
 
"I know, you've always liked her more than me," he joked, slightly nudging her. She chuckled amused by his playful gesture.
 
"Congratulations, oppa. You're already an engaged man," she said.
 
The smile on his face got wider as he stared at Shinhye who was busy chatting happily with her friends. "I finally am," he mumbled. "Thanks to you,"
 
"Hm?" She looked at him curiously.
 
"Did you think I could've been here without your help? It's all because of you that I lived happily and that I met with Shinhye," he said.
 
She scoffed in disbelief. "I didn't even do anything, you were the one doing everything."
 
"Even with you doing absolutely nothing, I still owe a lot to you," he said, putting his arm around her shoulder. "I'll still be with you like you've done to me all these years,"
 
She laughed as she pushed him away and faced him. "No need to worry about me. Your attention should be on your family, which includes unnie so take care of her. Don't hurt her, you hear me?" She threatened him playfully.
 
He stood straight and saluted her.
 
"I'd never!"
 
 
 

 
 
 
When she finished cleaning up, she headed to her kitchen to quench her thirst. She took a water bottle from the fridge and drank it.
 
Putting down the bottle, Chaeyeon reminisced about all the events which happened earlier. From busy handling the party and greeting the guests to watching the couple cutting their cake. She was indeed content with today. A smile played on her lips as she can't help but to remember Jongsuk's bright smile.
 
After six years, she felt a burden lifted. With Shinhye by his side, Chaeyeon can finally relax. She, who somehow became a part of his family, was treated exactly like his own family. It was literally because she was always with him ever since his father passed away six years ago.
 
She still remembered vividly what happened on that day.
 
It was two weeks before graduation. Chaeyeon was still ignoring and avoiding Jaehyun after his mistake. She didn't want to confront him out of hurt. She was afraid of getting more hurt than she already was.
 
On the way back home, she was getting chased by Jaehyun and coincidentally or not—Jongsuk was standing in front of her school. She immediately recognized his sullen expression as a sign of something bad. Once, when his mother passed away and that time, she knew it was his father. Considering the elder was in such an ill state at the time.
 
During the funeral, she promised him to always stay by his side.
 
A sigh left her lips when she remembered something else. Jaehyun's face passed through her mind. Chaeyeon still can't accomprehend why he was so worked up because she said she was Jongsuk's moral support. It wasn't even a bad thing like a partner, she was only Jongsuk's emotion companion(?). She was there to listen to him and help him solve his problems.
 
Jaehyun's frustrated expression disturbed her to the core. She just can't get that scene out of her mind.
 
Suddenly, she heard a loud thud. She peeked at her door and someone had knocked or possibly bumped into her door. She prayed that it was nobody and they would leave. While she was waiting until the person out of her home to leave, she heard another thud. Chaeyeon neared her door hesitantly and with light steps. She peeked in her doorhole and frowned, realizing who it was at her door nearly at one in the morning.
 
She opened her door, startling her uninvited guest. Without being invited in, her guest had beaten her first and entered her home. She scoffed out of disbelief at how rude he was being. No matter how close the two were, he should've known that her home is her personal space. She glanced at him staggering his way to the sofa. He bumped into the table before landing on her sofa.
 
Is he drunk?
 
"Are you drunk?" she asked as she closed the door and headed to him. He didn't even lift his head and only intertwined his own hands. He kept silent and stared into nothing. She leaned close and the stench of the alcohol stung her nose. She scrunched her face and shook her head disappointedly.
 
"Why would you come here drunk?" she mumbled. "It reminds me of before,"
 
This kind of incident occurred when they were still in high school. He didn't came to her house but the bartender had called her, telling her that he had a drunken person and she was the first person in the call log. She remembered picking him up at the club and found him dead drunk. She asked him his address but he passed out before answering. It all resulted to her bringing him back to her place that one night.
 
Fortunately, they did nothing. He woke up the next day feeling sorry. She even had to carry him to her home. He was sorry for a whole week and did favors for her. She forgave him after he apologized for the hundredth time.
 
A dry chuckle left her lips. It was another bittersweet memory of hers. She didn't want to get into detail but she had looked after him the whole night.
 
"Do you want water?" she asked and went to the kitchen to fetch him a glass of water without waiting for his response.
 
She came back with his water while he was still staring blankly. She nudged his shoulder and handed him the water. Since he was still in a daze, she took his hand and made him grip the glass. He stared at the glass then to her.
 
"I'm sorry," he said while looking down. She sat down at the end of the sofa, ready to listen to him.
 
"This evening, I apologize," he muttered, his fingers fiddling with the glass.
 
"You're drunk, yet you're still sane." She said, amused at how calm he was being despite his drunk state.
 
"I was mad, not at you but myself actually. There are just too many things I wanted to say. Finding out that hyung was engaged, I thought it was you, for sure. I didn't tthink it could be someone else," he said.
 
"I told you, I was his moral support." she said. "He loved me, but nothing more than a sister. That's what I look to him now,"
 
"Moral support, huh?" his tone dropped dangerously low. "And you just let him do that?" His grip on the glass got tighter.
 
"Jae..." she called him, noticing how tense he became.
 
"Chaeyeon-ah, I love you. I didn't get to tell you that six years ago. I hurt you and avoided you. I'm sorry, it was wrong of me, I didn't mean to," he revealed.
 
Stunned, she sat straightly. He didn't say anything further and burried his face in his hands. With the lights on, she could see the tip of his ears turning red and she felt hot all of a sudden.
 
The both of them were silent. Jaehyun was embarrassed because of the confession. Chaeyeon was surprised because she didn't expect for him to confess. She had thought his unusual behavior was because they haven't met in such a long time and he probably iwaa a whole different person.
 
"...A-are you really...not gonna say anything?" He mumbled shyly.
 
Chaeyeon turned to look at him while he took steady breaths to calm down. He drank his water and tried to sober up as fast as he could. She thought deeply for the best reply to answer him.
 
Slowly, Jaehyun put down the glass on the table and faced her. She still kept quiet and he felt his heart thumping so loud in his chest that he was afraid she could hear. He was scared.
 
He reached out his hand to her, hoping she would give her hand. She hesitantly held his hand and he smiled when she did. Not wanting to exceed his limits, he was content with holding her hand.
 
She took the courage to squeeze his hand, actually encouraging him that she was okay. Getting the signal, Jaehyun gripped her hand tight. His body slowly faced her.
 
"Reject me if you don't want..." he uttered as he leaned closer to her and their eyes met for a second. Their lips collided gently at first. The kiss felt innocent and dream-like. Both of them felt like their heads on the clouds.
 
It was their official first kiss.
 
She had forgotten about the accident when their lips touched. He was kissing her so tenderly, she had slightly forgiven him. After all, she can never hate him.
 
When lust kicked in, he started to kiss her roughly and neededly. He lost control of himself. He slowly pushed her down onto the sofa, making him on top of her. He made sure not to put his weight on her.
 
Their kiss was long and steamy. Feeling out of breath, Chaeyeon tried to push him away. Since he was still drunk and a bit weak, she managed to make him stop. Both of them panted heavily.
 
After catching his breath, he crashed their lips together and she couldn't resist him anymore. She finally gave in to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. His tongue slipped into , making the kiss sloppy.
 
Our of oxygen, she pushed him away again. He didn't even stop and kissed her again soon after. His hands touched her jaw and then roamed to her body. His warmh radiated to her. With his drunk state, she could feel his warm fingers touching her lightly. She was surprised when his hand slipped into her shirt.
 
Chaeyeon immediately broke the kiss as she held his hand from going further. He stared at her intently while she got out of the position. He stopped her and pulled her into his embrace.
 
"That's enough," she said and he swiftly pecked her lips as he let go of her.
 
With a chuckle, she stood up and made him lay down. She tucked him in with the blanket she had on the sofa. He was still staring at her with puppy eyes. She brushed his hair and carressed his cheeks adoringly while he slowly fell asleep.
 
"Goodnight,"
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
Jaehyun woke up with the biggest headache the next morning. He massaged his temple and opened his eyes. Noticing he wasn't in his own room, he quickly jerked up.
 
His eyes went wide as if realizing where he actually is.
 
It's been years, but I'm sure this is Chaeyeon's.
 
Speaking of the devil, he smelled the scent of food and turned his head. He saw a woman with her hair tied, cooking food in the kitchen. The sight of her familiar back tugged on his heartstrings.
 
He cursed himself for coming to her place. Especially when he was drunk. What made him much more furious is that he can't remember anything from last night.
 
Why the hell do I have to be drunk?
 
"You're up," he flinched when he heard her voice. She turned off the stove and set up the table. Jaehyun sat on the sofa awkwardly while rubbing his nape embarrassedly. A bashful grin stuck on his face.
 
"Go and wash up, we'll eat when you come back," she told him.
 
He nodded his head hesitantly while heading to her toilet. At first, he went the wrong way and was being embarrassed by hinself. He knocked his head lightly for being such an idiot.
 
When he got into the bathroom and look at himself in the mirror, bits and bits of last night flashed through his mind. He closed his eyes ashamed as he face palmed and a long sigh left his lips.
 
From all the stupid things I've done in my life.
 
This has got to be the worst.
 
Jaehyun stared at himself in the mirror, looking over his good looks. Contrary to his usual handsome face, he looks extremely pale. Must be because of the hangover. Just as he thought of feeling dizzy, he felt nauseous right after.
 
He threw up in the toilet. Everything from yesterday's meals was vomitted. He had a spinning head and a worsening condition.
 
As he was busy throwing up, he didn't hear the door opened. He felt a hand massaging his back which urged him to throw up more. After a while, he stopped vomitting and felt better.
 
When he saw Chaeyeon cleaning up after his mess, he felt the urge to die. One after another embarassment just kept on happening. He only wanted to apologize, so how did it end up this way?
 
"Clean up," she mumbled and left the bathroom in a hurry. Jaehyun's ears turned red out of embarrassment. How was he supposed to face her?
 
From yesterday's scene at the party to last night's drunken lust to throwing up in the morning?
 
He cursed himself in his mind as he finished cleaning up. He went to the kitchen and saw Chaeyeon putting down a bowl of soup on the table.
 
"Eat this," she said and sat down across him. He stared at the many food on the table then to her. She looked calm and composed. Not one he expected, considering what happened last night. He sat down in front of her and smelled the soup.
 
"It's good for hangover," she uttered and he nodded understandingly. He picked up his spoon and fed himself.
 
After a long silence of eating, Chaeyeon lifted her head to look at Jaehyun who was still eating. She put down her utensils and stared at him intently.
 
"Do you..." her voice startled him. "Not remember anything?" She asked, making him gulp down his food quickly.
 
"Ah, last night?" He tried to act innocent.
 
She nodded and waited for him to continue.
 
"Um, I only remembered coming here late. I'm sorry about that. I troubled you," he apologized.
 
"That's...all?" She asked, a bit unconvinced. She frowned sadly, feeling disappointed.
 
Jaehyun didn't mean to but his eyes landed on her plump pink lips. He ended up staring at her lips which reminded him of last night. Instantly, his ears and also his cheeks flushed red.
 
"We kissed," she said casually which made him choke out of shock. He looked at her wide eyed but she ignored him and stood up to wash the dishes. He sunk into his seat dejected.
 
"I'm sorry, I remember kissing you." He mumbled, making her froze. "I also remember confessing to you. I don't know if my feelings reached you but I'll wait. I remember pushing you down on the sofa and almost ruined you. I'm sorry."
 
"I don't know your feelings for me. I didn't ask. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for kissing you. You must've felt uncomfortable. I just want you to know that last night was definitely not a mistake or an accident. I kissed you on my own will. What happened six years ago, I apologize. I'm sorry for hurting you."
 
Chaeyeon kept quiet through his apology slash confession as she continued washing the dishes. He sighed. Looks like he failed again.
 
When they finished breakfast, Jaehyun was ready to leave. He took his coat on the sofa and headed to the door. Chaeyeon rushed to him. He stopped to look back at her.
 
"Your collar," she pointed out and he noticed that his clothes were messy. He tried to fix his collar but she beat him to it. She fixed his collar and creased his shirt so he looks more neat. He could only stare at her with hearts in his eyes. He didn't want to hurt her so he was keeping the urge to touch her.
 
She met eyes with him and he faked a cough.
 
"We look like a married couple," she commented. He looked at her with an unreadable expression. 
 
He really doesn't understand her.
 
Feeling a little happy, he smiled at her. "Then, we should act like a married couple too, then." He said and leaned close into her. He held her face in his two palms as he kissed the crown of her head. He never felt this excited over a small kiss like this but he did now.
 
Chaeyeon, on the other hand, had closed her eyes to feel his touch. She savored the feeling of him holding her and his warmth. She was going to miss his warmth. His touch sent tingles to her body.
 
When she opened her eyes, she saw Jaehyun staring right back at her. His eyes fluttered from hers to her facial features—her nose and lastly to her lips. He always had the habit of staring at her lips every time they look at each other. Even from before, during high school.
 
He finally let go of her with a boyish grin. "Thank you,"
 
With one last glance, Jaehyun left her place with both of their hearts thumping fast.
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED