GOOD

Goodbye

 

 

Chaeyeon covered her face with her blue scarf up to her nose. The reason being the cold breeze and her runny nose, so she had rubbed it until her nose turned red. She huffed. The weather was insane. At least to her, since she remembered yesterday rained until dawn then it was scorchy humid in the afternoon but now, it was chilly again. Probably going to rain any soon.

Not like she minded anyways. She loved rain. 

She shifted her weight on her left leg after standing on her right leg for too long. When she tried to brush her hair from her face, she had caught sight of someone near her.

"You're not leaving yet?" His voice sent her to warm deep ocean waves that takes you without notice and just makes you disappear. She loved his voice.

She smiled at him, though he couldn't see it due to her scarf.

"Not yet," she mumbled, putting her hands into her jacket's pockets.

"I'll wait with you then," he stood beside her, straight and tall.

"You don't need to," she glanced at him.

"Who are you waiting for?" 

"No one,"

"But you're not going back?" He asked with a tilt of his head.

"I want it to rain,"

"Rain?"

"Yeah, it looks like it'll rain soon. So, you better get back home."

"I'll walk you home,"

"No,"

"Why are you even waiting for rain?"

"It's the best way to make me feel happy," 

He didn't reply but he did stared at her. She noticed this but didn't react to it. She scratched her itchy runny nose and sniffed.

"You're not trying to make yourself sick, are you?"

"I'm not that stupid,"

"I know," he said, softly smiling at her habit of scrunching her face of annoyance and dissatisfication.

"Why are you out so late though?" She glanced at him.

"Were you waiting for me?"

"No,"

"I was busy with the student council stuff,"

"As usual," she smiled. "President Jung is always busy,"

"Now you're calling me that?" He raised an eyebrow at her.

"Well, I wasn't going to call you captain anymore since I no longer have the same title. It won't be fun,"

"Fun, huh?"

"Yup!" her eyes turned into crescents as she smiled happily. These days, he realized her mood has always been so good and she seemed bright every day. He can't help but feel energized seeing her like this. It was rare of her to act this way, especially in front of others.

The Jung Chaeyeon he knew was straight faced and didn't have much to talk. She was quiet and enjoyed not interacting. Though, he noticed that she was a little bit different with certain people. This also included him.

Jaehyun felt special.

He knew he was. Out of the students in school, he could proudly announce he is one of her friends which she didn't have that many in numbers. Proof? He was the only male student in the whole school who has her number. If that didn't prove it, he wasn't really sure what would. She didn't hang out much. He barely even sees her outside of school.

Jung Chaeyeon was unpredictable. 

She was unpredictable, yet at the same time, her actions are predictable. He knew this from all the staring he does. He was unsure why he stares at her, but he unconsciously has his gaze on her when he had nothing to do. Well, he sure didn't have much going on in his life because he knew all of her habits by now. 

He liked staring at her. It gave him a sense of calmness despite how scary the girl can be when she's angry. Her defense armour was amazing, he had to agree. She was exploding with charisma and aura. He was also a bit intimidated to even talk to her when she was in a bad mood. That reminded him of that one time she got mad at a vending machine because it stole her money. The thing was broken and she didn't take notice of this. The situation was handled right after she shook the whole vending machine with all her might. 

Jung Chaeyeon may look small, but girl was strong.

The sight of her kicking and hitting the machine ran through his mind. It sent him into amused chuckles.

"What you laughing at?" Her voice shocked him. He forgot she was right there. He turned to her with a soft smile and shook his head slightly. 

"Nothing, I was just remembering something funny,"

"It must be me, huh?" 

"Why?"

"You just laughed after seeing my face. I think I know what that means," she scrunched her face again. Her habit. Her eyes narrowed and her lips pursed. Suddenly, she sneezed. She groaned dissatisfied with her currently worsening condition.

"I think you should get home now," he told but the girl stood still, getting ready for another round of sneezing. Right at that second, she was into a sneezing fit. She covered and nose so gracefully—it was the first time he saw someone looked elegant while sneezing.

Without realizing, Jaehyun had held her wrist from touching her face and pulled down her scarf from her face slowly. Chaeyeon lifted her gaze into his eyes then they stayed in the position for a while. She wondered why he did that and he was wondering the same damn thing. His hand unconsciously did that, he even regretted for a second. 

He looked at her reddening nose and brushed his thumb on it. She was still frozen on her spot. Not knowing what to do. 

 

His eyes flickered back to her eyes and so did hers. They stared at each other and he would be the biggest liar in the universe if he says he wasn't attracted. He always was. He just didn't try to make it too obvious. His lips parted while looking at her deep dark brown eyes. Chaeyeon who still didn't know what was going on but she didn't dare to move. Deep inside she knew what will happen and she wanted it to happen.

Jaehyun leaned into her quite fast than she expected, he was so close to her she could feel the tip of his nose touching hers. His hands shifted to touch her face and one held onto her neck. He was leaning forward so close that she gave up on opening her eyes. 

One.

Three.

Ten seconds. 

She waited. It didn't happen. She opened her eyes to see him stopping his actions as if realizing what he was actually doing and he let her go. He stared at her again, this time full of confusion and uncertainty. He mumbled a faint sorry before leaving her alone at the bus stop. 

He left her hanging.

He left her anticipating.

He also left her with a broken heart.

 

 
 
 

 

 

"So what now?"

"Nothing's going to happen," 

"Are you joking?"

"No," Chaeyeon heaved a heavy sigh. "His one action managed to drive me crazy. If he was already that close to kiss me, there was no reason for him to stop either." she brought her legs close to her chest.

"But, Chae, I'm sure that kid likes you,"

"Well, you're wrong for once, Yuju." she mumbled, staring outside the window. The weather was wonderful. It was sunny and a pleasant time to be out there to have fun. 

"Why don't you try asking him?"

"For what?" she spat. "For him to embarrass me and humiliate my pride?"

"You don't know until you actually do,"

"What?"

"Confront the boy, he must have a reason to do that,"

"And if he doesn't?"

Yuju hesitated to say the reply she already had. She stared at Chaeyeon's hurt and slight vulnerable state. She never saw her in this kind of state. How hurt was she to be like this? Yuju initially thought it was only a fling for Chaeyeon considering how close the two partners were. They've been friends from first year and they were each other's shoulder. Plus, Chaeyeon isn't the type to have a crush. Heck, her last relationship was over around a year ago. She thought Chaeyeon was still in love with her ex since he was her first love. 

Now, that Yuju is in front of Chaeyeon, she didn't noticed it before but Chaeyeon might have fallen for the basketball captain more than she thought she would.

 

 

 

 

"Forget about him then,

 



 

Without realizing, time went by so fast that it was already the day of their graduation. Chaeyeon and Jaehyun hadn't talked to each other about the incident on that day. They only exchanged a few words and greetings which were mostly school duty related. She was fine since she doesn't have to be the one to talk. The person who should do the talking—according to her, is Jaehyun, of course. He started the whole misunderstanding. She didn't want to go and ask him why. Her feelings were hurt and were more trampled on day by day considering Jaehyun hadn't even mention anything about it.

She concluded it was a mistake on his side.

There was nothing left to do than just give up. She had liked—probably loved too— Jaehyun for all those time yet she chose to ignore it and shrug her feelings off. There was no benefit on telling him she liked him when he has his own relationship already. Yes. Jung Jaehyun was in a relationship and it took her a month after that to know about the news. She wasn't sure if it was because she didn't pay attention to him or rumors anymore or because nobody bothered to tell her.

Yuju was the one who found out from Chaeyeon herself. She was shocked as she was and they spent the weekend together doing anything that would take her mind off of her heartbreak. Good thing Chaeyeon wasn't that pressed on the subject and moved on quite fast. Some feelings and affection still lingered but there was really nothing she could do.

On the day of the graduation, Jaehyun—the student president, had prepared a speech.

Honestly, Chaeyeon had her mind elsewhere during his speech though her gaze settled on the handsome man. She didn't hear anything he said in those whole six and a half minutes. 

When they received their own certificates, Chaeyeon need not to hurry. No one came for her. Her parents were busy, as usual. She even forgot when her parents last came to anything involving her. She walked around the school for the last time, visited every place and finally stopped at her own class.

She saw how clean and neat the class was, reminding her it was her last day at school. Tomorrow, she doesn't have to go back here.

Tomorrow she won't be able to see him anymore.

Jaehyun won't be by her side.

She won't see his warm smile.

She won't see his deep dimple.

She won't see his tall frame.

She won't see his captivating eyes.

She won't hear his laugh.

She won't hear his voice.

She won't hear his chuckle.

She won't hear anything from him anymore.

Why?

Today is the last day she'll be seeing him anyway.

To think a three year friendship ended just because of one mistake, Chaeyeon can't help but burst into tears. 

There won't be any Jaehyun.

She'll by by herself, as always.

 

 

 

 

Well, goodbye it is then.

 

 


 

To Be Continued