Pray You Catch Me

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

It didn't feel the same. 

Gone were the days where his kisses felt like a taste of heaven. Instead, his kisses felt like acid, burning her lips with every touch. It didn't help that there were times that he came home later than usual, always drunk and mumbling incoherent sentences out of his mouth. Sometimes, he didn't come home at all, claiming that there was work needed to be done in the office. It didn't help that they kept fighting a lot more often than usual, even with the pettiest things like the dishes and the remote for the television, but it always turned into something serious to the point that they would need to sleep on different rooms without apologizing to each other. She wanted to remain rational, that maybe his job is taking a bit of a toll on him, but how can he explain the strong scent of Coco Madamoiselle on his shirt sometimes? The scent that overpowered the Jo Malone perfume that she gifted him in their first anniversary? How was he going to explain the times she found subtle stains of red lipstick on his collar, like it was meant to be brandished against his clothes? How was he going to explain the times he couldn't even talk to her and he kept looking at his phone more than he looked at her? The sudden feeling of anger and insecurity settled in her chest, and it didn't help that he was late for their own dinner for their first one thousand days as a couple. 

Great, their one thousandth day as a couple, and he was nowhere to be found. 

The time ticked by, and it wasn't helping her nerves at all. She even tried her best to cook the meal that was laid out on the table right now, but it feels like it's about to go to waste considering that it's almost midnight, and he still hasn't come home. She was about to put the meals in some sealed containers when she heard the sound of the door opening. She didn't even bother to look at him. In fact, if he even breathed beside her she might scream at him once again. 

"Anything fancy happening?" He asked, observing the set-up of the table.

"You tell me." She muttered towards him, not looking at his direction. She placed the food inside the refrigerator a little harshly, which made Ji Wook feel alarmed. 

"What's wrong? Did anything happen?" It was a clueless question in his part, but the words felt like it cut right through her heart when she heard it. Did he forget about us? The thought became the gasoline to the fire in her chest, and she was ready to flare up. 

She closed the refrigerator harshly, the contents inside clattering. She turned towards him with a stoic expression, but deep inside she was ready to hurt him. "You don't know do you?"

The question seemed to confuse him. "What do you mean?"

She gritted her teeth in anger. "Happy one thousand days, jagiya." The last word sounded like poison, and she was ready to go in for the kill. 

Ji Wook's eyes widen in horror. "Oh my God." He chants this phrase like a prayer, and he knew the time was up for him. 

"Where were you? Why were you out this late in the night? Why—" She was cut off by the sight of something on his collar. Yet again, it was a dark shade of red, but it seems as if someone wiped it clean, but the color still remained. That was the final nail in the coffin for her. The tears started to form in her eyes. She didn't want to believe it, but her intuition never failed her once. It didn't take her that long to put the pieces together. 

"How long?" She started, her tone cold and bitter. He didn't respond, his mind reeling in the answers he wanted to say to her. 

"How long were you planning to keep this up?" She asked him, her words getting colder by the minute. Ji Wook couldn't look her in the eye this time, his eyes trained on the floor. 

"When did you start seeing her? Who is she?" She asked again, her tears choking her up. Her nails were pressing into her palms. She didn't care at all if it would puncture her skin; it didn't compare to what she knew about the love of her life at that moment. 

"Why do you keep lying to me?" She said, her tears finally breaking her walls down, and suddenly, it makes Ji Wook look up at the scorned woman. 

"When will you stop lying to me? Why do you have to keep everything from me?" She asked, pushing his shoulders, making him stumble back. Her anger was taking a toll on her. She didn't know which one hurt more: the moment she found out Hee Joon cheated on her? Or the fact that history was repeating itself, this time with the man that saved him from former? She wiped her tears, trying to be strong right in front of him, but she couldn't help it. She shoved him away, and he took every blow she gave him.

"Why won't you tell me? Why do you keep lying to me?" She screamed at him, but he was still silent. The anger inside her kept rising, and the silence was even more deafening. 

"I can't do this anymore! You keep lying to me no matter what, and you can't even tell me why!" She sobbed to herself, looking up at the ceiling to keep herself from breaking down completely. 

"I...I'm sorry." Ji Wook whispered to her. His words felt like a knife that plunged deeper into her heart, and it's like she couldn't even believe what she's hearing right now.

"You're sorry? You won't even tell me why you cheated on me in the first place!" She taunted. "Wow, I can't believe someone like you would also cheat on me. What? Am I not enough? Am I not pretty enough? Am I not smart enough?" 

Ji Wook couldn't look at her, a few tears falling from his eyes. She shoved him once again, punching his shoulders like her life depended on it, but he wrapped his arms around her figure, trying to stop her from hurting him further. She wanted to move, but his grip on her got tighter as she fought him.

"Why won't you talk to me? Why do you have to lie to me?" She sobbed into his shoulder. 

"Bong Hee—"

"Why—"

 

__

 

"—Bong Hee-yah!" Noh Ji Wook shakes his girlfriend awake. The moment he heard her sobbing uncontrollably beside him, he knew she was having a nightmare. She suddenly started punching his shoulders, and he didn't know why. When he called her name, her eyes flew open in surprise, a gasp leaving her lips. Her cheeks are stained with tears, and she wrapped his arms around her man, her grip tightening as she sobbed into his shoulder. He calmed her down by hushing her and kissing her forehead, assuring her that it was just a nightmare. She pulls back and gives him a soft kiss on his mouth, still testing if it was still a dream or not. He complies to the kiss, assuring his woman that everything is alright between them. 

"I'm sorry. The nightmare just felt so...real." She said after she calmed down, her head on his chest as they laid down on the bed once more. She looked at him as if she was afraid that he would disappear. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" He whispered, looking at her. He saw the fear in his eyes, and he was ready to whatever showed up in her dreams to make her react that way. 

"Well...it was our one thousand days..." She trailed off. "And...we fought. That's all."

He sighed as he kissed her forehead. "What about?"

She contemplated a bit before she spoke. "You were...unfaithful."

This caught his attention, turning towards her with his eyebrows furrowed at her. "You know that I won't ever do that to you, right? I love you more than you'll ever know."

She nods into his chest and sighs in relief, trying to shake off the feeling she had from the nightmare. "I love you too." She whispers.

Minutes pass by, and the two of them almost fell into deep slumber, but not until Bong Hee was awaken by his phone lighting up due to a notification. It didn't help that his phone was at the side of her bed, and it didn't help further that her curiosity got the best of her. She didn't mean to look, but what was written on the screen was enough for her to look at her man and pray that he catches her wishing that her nightmare won't turn into a reality. She closes her eyes in fear, the text message flashing in her mind that made her sleepless that night.

"1 text message:

Na Ji Eun: When are you coming over?" 

 

__

A/N: So...I hope you guys don't hurt me on this one. Please forgive me for the minor inconsistencies on some parts. Hope you enjoyed (??) this one too!

Also I'm very aware that Ji Wook is not the type to do something like this, but this is a place where I could answer my "what ifs" and how it would happen. I hope you will understand.