Doljanchi (돌잔치)

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

 Note: This is a drabble similar to "The First of Many", but this time, this is going to go on a different route, and by different, it's going on a traditional route.

Doljanchi (돌잔치) - the Korean tradition of celebrating the first birthday of an offspring; includes the ceremony of a child picking one of the different objects in front of them to determine their fate. 

Somehow, Eun Bong Hee called herself lucky that she got through four years of having one child, and a smart one to add too. But with the current situation she's handling, she forgot how she even got through those four years while juggling her workload as well. 

Exactly one year ago, a baby's cries broke through the silent air on the first day of summer, just as when the sun was peeking through in the horizon. But, when Bong Hee thought the situation was done, they had another one coming. After thirteen hours of labor, Eun Bong Hee gave birth to two adorable bundles of joy: Noh Hyun Ki, who looks just like his mother, and Noh Eun Ji, who resembled her father more with the shape of her lips and her nose. The fact that she even gave birth to twins is beyond her, and she was scared as she held little Eun Ji in her arms, not knowing how she can handle all three of her children like this, but all fears dissipated when Noh Ji Wook sat down by her squeaky hospital bed, holding little Hyun Ki in his arms and kissed the top of his head. 

"He looks so handsome." He cooed onto his son. "I must say, good genes really do run in the family." 

Bong Hee rolled her eyes at his comment, before leaning onto her husband's shoulder, while Eun Ji snuggled closer to her mother. She almost teared up at the sight, but the tears finally rolled down her cheeks when Ji Wook kissed the top of her head and sighed. 

"You did so well, my love. I'm proud of you." He whispered. "I know this is going to be a lot tougher now that we're five in the family, but we'll get through this together. I promise."

"Thank you, jagi." She sniffled, and Ji Wook kissed the top of her head once more to calm her down. 

Even little Hye Kyo was more than elated to finally have siblings (she had been begging to have a sibling for a while, since she felt a little lonely playing with her toys all alone, and that she's always alone in the house whenever her parents were out for cases and trials), and she almost squealed at the sight of two new babies in the arms of her parents.

But as they grew, Hye Kyo was in the mix of being happy for her siblings, and being annoyed as well. She always hated how Hyun Ki kept pulling her hair, or how Eun Ji made a mess every time she tried to feed her. But in the midst of it, Ji Wook and Bong Hee couldn't help but be proud of how their firstborn was trying to be a responsible sister for the both of them, even at a young age. 

Today's event, however, was a bit special, since this was due to the request of both of their parents: having the doljabi. Last time, they didn't really plan on doing this for Hye Kyo, but at the last minute, however, Hong Bok Ja brought out a small hanbok for Hye Kyo, and they immediately went through with the ceremony, with Hye Kyo choosing a pencil (much to Byun Young Hee's dismay however, he wanted her to pick up the small gavel). 

In all honesty, Bong Hee and Ji Wook would rather have a small birthday gathering for their children than do something as elaborate as their current situation. They both believed that their children's futures shouldn't depend on what they chose on their first birthday, and it was tiring either way to hold such events. But of course, the clamor of their parents got to them, which is why this will probably the first and the last time they would ever host a doljanchi for their children. But for now, the ultimate mission for this prosecutor and lawyer tandem would be how to get through this celebration without thinking of the many expenses they would be paying afterwards. Bong Hee shakes her head from the thought of the bills to pay, before focusing on the little angel on her arms. She has to confess though, her children are absolutely adorable in their hanboks, and Eun Ji couldn't stop touching her headpiece without letting out a few giggles, making Bong Hee's heart burst. 

"Ya, Eun Ji." Bong Hee laughed, taking out the headpiece from her daughter's grasp for the umpteenth time. "My love, stop playing with that. You're going to break it before your ceremony."

”Mama, am I like... that.. before?” Hye Kyo spoke, looking up at her mother. 

“Actually, you were quite the opposite.” Bong Hee pinched her cheeks. “You slept through your first birthday, and you were quite a crier.” 

“Mama,” she whined. “I wanna hold Eun Ji-yah.” 

“You might drop her.” She laughed. 

"How are my girls doing?" Ji Wook asked as he walked towards them, with little Hyun Ki passed out on his shoulder, his bright blue hanbok reflecting under the lights. 

"Eun Ji is about to break her headpiece at this point, and Hye Kyo wants to hold her." His wife sighed, holding the headpiece with one hand as she held her daughter. "Looks like Hyun Ki is already tired before the party's started."

"You know how he is," Ji Wook looks back at his son, an amused expression on his face. "I'm surprised at how fast he sleeps whenever he's with me. It's not even more than ten seconds and he's already passed out."

"It's probably because you're cuddly." Bong Hee joked, kissing her husband's cheek. "I can't blame our children if they find you comforting to be with. Come to think of it, you're like a huge bear, very soft and cuddly, if I may say."

"You're really describing the reigning Worst Prosecutor of the Year for seven years in a row, a huge, cuddly bear."

"And what about it?" She raised her eyebrows. "You may go too hard on the opposition, including me, but you're still the softest man I know. You will literally spare no thought for criminals and attorneys and rage at them if you can, but you were the first one to cry on our wedding day."

"Hey, the music they used was beautiful, and you looked really beautiful that day. I couldn't help it."

She rolled her eyes at her husband's excuses, but he stole a quick kiss on her lips before she could do anything else.

“Ew, Appa!” Hye Kyo interrupted, closing her eyes from the kiss before running back inside the hall, causing the couple to laugh at their eldest child. 

"Ya, I rarely show emotions like that to anyone, much more to my wife who's an attorney.” He continued on.

"Of course." She scoffed, before the couple walked towards the direction of the festivities. They invited mostly their close friends and a few relatives as well, and the small dining hall was filled with chatters from almost 40 people. 

"Anyways," he sighed, looking around the venue. "What do you think our children will pick later?"

"You're really asking this question?" She raised her eyebrows.

"It's just an intelligent guess." He reasoned. "Like... Maybe Hyun Ki wants to hold money, or maybe your Taekwondo belt."

"I don't know if he seems like the type to be an entrepreneur." She looked at the sleeping baby on her husband's shoulder, wiping away some of the excess drool that was falling on his white, buttoned shirt. "Maybe a scholar?"

"How about Eun Ji?" He gestured towards the little baby girl looking at him with wide eyes."Any guesses? Either she'll go on the artist route or be a doctor."

"How about being a lawyer?"

"Or a prosecutor?"

The couple had pointed looks on both of their faces. "Why do I have the feeling you secretly want our daughter to be a prosecutor?"

"I will respect her choices if she wants to be a lawyer or a prosecutor." He clarified. "But, I would be happy if she chose to take the prosecutor path."

"Follow her old man's ways to become the Worst Prosecutor of the Year?" She raised her eyebrows.

"And why not, if she wants to be?" He stared back at her. 

"...Wanna bet that our parents have other choices aside from ours?” 

“10,000 won?” 

“It’s on.” 

                                                ____

Gavel. 1,000 won. Microphone. Pencil. Prosecutor’s robe. Legal lapel pin. Stethoscope. Spatula. A taekwondo belt.  

Nine items were laid out in front of the twins, who looked at them all with wide eyes, and drool on their chins. Ji Wook adjusted Hyun Ki’s headpiece as the little baby claps in his arms. Eun Ji still couldn’t stop tugging her headpiece, and Bong Hee cooed at her little angel to make her behave during the doljabi. Fourty people watch in amusement, with their phones out, as they anticipated little Eun Ji’s choice as she was left alone in front of the item. She sits in silence, looking at her options, tapping the floor repeatedly with her hands, causing everyone to laugh at her adorable gestures. The parents, however, look at each other, eyebrows raised as they await for their little girl’s choice. Hye Kyo crouched down on her sister’s level, observing her carefully on what she’ll choose. Suddenly, Eun Ji crawls, her little red hanbok crumpling under her knees as she makes a run for it. And then... 

“She chose the gavel!” 

“I knew it!” Byun Young Hee yelled, pumping a fist in the air. Ji Wook readied his 10,000 won bill in his pocket as the people laughed and cheered for little Eun Ji, who was already making grabby hands at her mother as she picked her up. 

“You want to be a judge, my little Eun Ji?” She whispered as she kissed her temple, before making her way back to her husband, an eyebrow raised at him. Ji Wook puts Hyun Ki down, and the people observed as he giggled and clapped repeatedly as he looked at the items in front of him, and it took him less than a minute before he crawled on his knees and hands. He goes first on the direction of the stethoscope, but then, his hands hover on the legal lapel pin. 

“How do you think our parents are doing?” 

“For some reason, I can see your mom praying that he gets the stethoscope, while your dad is hoping for the lapel pin. My mom, however, is too occupied with taking a video.”

And after some time, Hyun Ki gripped onto the stethoscope, a surprise for a room filled with mostly people from the law field. Hong Bok Ja clapped with glee as she sighed in relief, before gesturing at Young Hee over something. Suddenly, he took out 20,000 won from his pocket and smacked it on her palm. In return, Ji Wook smacked 10,000 won over his wife’s palm, before grabbing the little man off the floor and into his arms. 

“Well this is...” 

“I told you so.” She rolled her eyes in amusement, before looking at her three children, with Hye Kyo clinging onto her leg. 

“My little angels,” she cooed, giving them each a kiss on the cheek. “Whatever you choose, we will always support you.” 

Ji Wook kissed his three children as well. “What matters is that you all grow up healthily and well, understood?” 

All the children could do was gape at him, and Noh Ji Wook chuckled to himself before giving them another kiss on the cheeks. “I love you, my little angels.” 

The sight made Bong Hee almost tear up, swallowing up her small sobs as she watched how much love they both have for each other and their family. Even though she felt so scared giving birth to them a year ago, all fears and doubts that she held onto were washed away as she began to let the moment sink in. That’s when she realized that no matter what, they will always have each other for their years to come, and whatever future that their children will take, she knew that they will go through it together, hand in hand, like they always do.