The Knights in Shining Platforms

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

Noh Ji Wook decided to have a little trip by the pub with Ji Eun Hyuk and Bang Eun Ho just for old times' sake. Since Eun Hyuk and Bong Hee took over the law firm after he was appointed into being a prosecutor again, he never had the time to relax and have a drink or two. Of course, he still feels that apprehension he had with Eun Hyuk, but these days, he felt like that anger was slowly dissipating after some time, to the point that even having a drink with him didn't irritate him as much as it used to. And so, he invited Eun Ho and Eun Hyuk (to his surprise, in which Eun Hyuk also admitted that he cried a bit when Ji Wook pursued him to come along), and headed out to the old bar downtown that he loved to drink in to loosen up and celebrate, since he has finally finished a case that had him sleeping in the office for a week now or so (much to his fiancé's dismay). And now, they were already eight glasses down in beer and soju, the three men were a babbling mess of whines, weird slurs, and wobbly footsteps. 

"Wook-ah!" Eun Hyuk yelled into the pub, before wrapping his arms around Ji Wook's shoulder, rubbing his cheek along his bicep. "You know how much I love you, right?" 

"Do you want me to kick you off your chair, you brat?" Ji Wook slurred towards the man beside him, but he was too tired to fight him off. 

"Even you two seem to love each other." Eun Ho sighed, before blowing his nose into his tissue paper. "I'm probably going to grow old in a retirement home while playing mahjong with the people there, maybe go for a knitting class or two." 

"You should take a knitting class instead." Eun Hyuk chuckled, placing his chin on his palm as he looked at him. "Aside from the fact that you're going to learn how to knit socks, you'll probably find a nice woman to sit with you and then you'll fall in love!" 

"It would be nice," the sobbing investigator sniffled. "But... It's just... I mean look at you two. You're basically getting married before I do, and I'm older than the two of you!" 

"Hyung," Ji Wook sighed. "You'll find someone soon, don't be too disheartened." 

"Yeah!" I mean, there are a lot of people out there, and you still have a lot of life in you! Don't worry about it!" Eun Hyuk exclaimed, but as he waved his hands around, one of them hits the side of a glass, the contents spilling on the person holding it. 

"I'm so sorry—" Eun Hyuk yelped, but when he came face to face with a bulky man that was giving him the death stare and was seconds away from beating the crap out of him, Ji Wook and Eun Ho swiftly pulled him by the back of his collar before they ran outside of the pub, the alcohol in their system dissipating slowly as the adrenaline rush kicked in while they ran for their lives. When they turned a corner after a few blocks down, the three sat by the side of a wall, panting as the blood rushed to their heads. Ji Wook looks back at Eun Hyuk before slapping the back of his head. 

"See, this is why I hate bringing you during happy hours." He muttered at him. 

"I didn't know he was going to pass by us!" Eun Hyuk argued. 

"It's a good thing that my footing wasn't off when I was running." Eun Ho huffed as he tried to catch his breath. "Sometimes, I stumble a bit too much when I'm drunk." 

"Yeah, I remembered." Ji Wook muttered to himself, before walking away from the two men, and them following suit. 

"Ya," Eun Hyuk spoke. "Did we pay before we ran for our lives?" 

"Prosecutor Noh already smacked the payment down the table and grabbed our things before we dragged you out of there." Eun Ho replied. "Imagine if we brought Mr. Byun with us, he'll probably get into a fistfight with him before we could even get ourselves out of there." 

"That's true." The two men nodded at him, but the haze of the alcohol was still there, and so, they decided to walk the alcohol out of their system by the nearby park. The men seemed to continue their bickering about their situations at court, until their phones started ringing. Eun Ho sighed as he watched his younger colleagues take out their phones with a grimace, knowing that their partners were calling them. 

"Hello?" The two men answered their phones at the same time, and in turn, questions and passive-aggressive comments started flooding through the earpieces, causing them to press their lips together in shame. They're going to be so dead when they come back home, Eun Ho thought to himself. 

"The park by Mapo-gu." The two men replied at the same time, and before they could even argue, the calls were dropped, leaving them to look at each other with dread in their eyes. 

"I'm guessing the women are angry at the two of you." Eun Ho retorted, only for the two men to look at him with a glare, and for the smile on his face to drop. The men hoped to find a bench to sit in as they waited for their partners to fetch them, knowing that they're going to be dead sooner or later. 

"Wait," Eun Hyuk turned to Ji Wook. "You didn't tell Miss Eun that you went drinking with us?" 

There was a pause from Ji Wook before he quietly replied. "No." 

"I can't blame her for scolding you that much." Eun Hyuk muttered to him, before Ji Wook gave him a glare. 

"What about you?" He retorted. "Why was Yoo Jung angry at you when she called?" 

"...I told her I'd be home by ten." He muttered.

"Oh," Ji Wook replied, not needing further explanation. "Man, you're really dead." 

"I know—" 

"Long time no see!" 

The three men looked up to see a group of high school students, all with smirks on their faces and some with cigarettes between their fingers. 

"Didn't we tell you that smoking is bad for you?" Ji Wook snapped. 

"Who cares what you think, ahjussi? You can go yourself for all we care." One of them spoke up, but just as Ji Wook was about to snarl back at them, another group of students come forward towards the three, making Eun Hyuk and Ji Wook grimace with the memory of the last time this happened. 

"Ya," Eun Ho spoke up. "Have some respect for people who are older than you! And stop smoking! You're all in high school and your lungs might give out before you graduate!" 

"We're here for a good time, not for a long time, harabeoji." A different student snapped back. "Go back to your retirement home while you're at it!" 

Ji Wook was ready to charge at them, but Eun Hyuk held him back. "They're high school students and you'll be charged with violence against minors while you're at it. Let them charge at you." 

"As if I didn't know that by now?" Ji Wook whispered towards him, before pushing Eun Hyuk towards the men and running for his life. Eun Hyuk and Eun Ho followed suit, but before the could even get far, the men were already surrounded, and as soon as the first student swings a fist at them, all hell has broken loose. Some men were tugging at Ji Wook's hair and suit, and some were tugging by Eun Hyuk's legs, some were busy twisting Eun Ho's limbs. Ji Wook was in so much pain that he didn't even notice that one of them suddenly fell to the ground with a thud, a familiar platform shoe stepping by the side of his body, and just in time, he ducked down as Bong Hee kicked one of them square in the chest, before blocking and surging a punch towards one of them. 

Ji Wook tried to attack one of them with a punch, but Bong Hee was quick enough to kick away one of them that tried to charge at her fiancé. He looked over to see Yoo Jung doing an uppercut and a kick towards one of the students, with Eun Hyuk toppled over in one side. Eun Ho was also grovelling in pain as he held his groin in pain, and some students dragging themselves away from the scene before breaking out into a run, retreating themselves from the two women. They looked down at the men, sighing to themselves as they pulled them up by the back of their collars, looking at the bruises and the cuts on their faces. 

"Out of all nights you three chose to be idiots," Bong Hee sighed. "It had to be tonight."

"I'm pretty disappointed in you, Eun Hyuk." Yoo Jung snarled. "You had the audacity to even say that you'd be home by ten, but where were you?" 

"Yoo Jungie..." Eun Hyuk begged. "I'm so sorry—Ow!" 

He didn't have the chance to say anything because Yoo Jung twisted his ear as he stood up to shut him up, and she nodded at Bong Hee before dragging her boyfriend away from them, leaving Eun Ho alone with the engaged couple. 

"That was some stuff, Bong Hee-yah." Ji Wook nervously laughed at his fiancé, who was not at all pleased by the entire situation as he stared at him with a blank face. 

"Did I ever tell you that you look really hot when you're angry and while you're kicking ?" He tried again to cheer her up as he came closer to her and kissed her forehead, winding his arms around her, but Bong Hee in turn grabbed his arms off of her and twisted one by his back, causing him to let out a yelp. 

"I appreciate the compliment, jagi," she started. "But that doesn't mean I'm not angry at you for getting into a fight while you were drunk." 

"B-Bong Hee-yah..." He stuttered. "I didn't mean for it to happen—" 

"You can explain when we get home and after I fix you up." She snapped. "And you better explain yourself well on why the hell did you decide to even do something as irresponsible as this, also by the fact that you even failed to even inform me where you were in the first place." 

Ji Wook's yelps only increased as they walked back to the parking lot, and Bong Hee motioned Mr. Bang for a ride home with them as well, despite the pain in his groin that made him walk slowly with them. If there were two things that Bang Eun Ho would take away from this night, it would be to not do anything remotely stupid that could end up in a fight, and to always communicate with people, especially with your partners, or else they'll probably have your head on a silver platter while they're at it.