Chapter Three

From the Other Night

A week passes since that night, and Hyungwon grows fairly certain that the beautiful man from said night has moved passed the thought of calling him up. He’s gotta admit, he’s a bit disappointed as that’d been one hell of a night—or, at least, judging from what he can pull from his drunken memories—but he’s not going to fall apart in despair.

Sure, he’d have liked to see the man again, perhaps even build up some kind of friends-with-benefits thing, but what’s done is done. No harm, no foul…

 

At least, that’s what he thinks when he walks onto the set, the flashing lights of cameras and the whirring of fans easing him a bit. He glides from wardrobe to hair and makeup, his now-pink hair only reminding him a little of the man of whose name he absolutely refuses to say, much less think. He hadn’t wanted to dye his hair, especially that color, but this shoot in particular was paying a -ton, and they had practically demanded Hyungwon’s manager to book him.

So, after suffering through the painful experience of having bleach sitting on his sensitive scalp, he’d been given a hair color a bit too similar to Kihyun’s for his own liking.

Dammit, Hyungwon thinks, retracting even further into himself as he breaks his own rule… again. At least it’s only for the second time that day. He’s definitely making progress.

The chains on his clothes rattle as he leaves the makeup noonas, doing his best to keep his expression neutral. At least the shoot isn’t asking him to wear anything outlandish, he supposes. It’s a bit of a simple outfit, though it drips with elegance. The fabric of the suit is quite luxurious, and the chains hanging from his neck and waist glitter under the lights.

He plays on his phone, distracting himself with this social media and that group chat, just waiting until he’s finally called up.

 

“Hyungwon-ssi!” a voice calls after almost an hour of just him sitting there. He looks up tiredly, his eyes feeling incredibly fatigued from staring at the digitized screen for so long. The model gets up with minimal difficulty, only a slight sigh slipping passed his plump lips, and he moves towards the set. He takes his place under the lights, glancing towards the photographer with a prompting brow.

A brow that immediately falls, however, at seeing whose standing behind the camera.

His hair’s changed to a brighter sort-of pink, looking more like a strawberry pink than the dusty pink it had been, but it’s unmistakable. Hyungwon’s heart falls to his feet as the man lowers the camera in his hands, revealing an impossibly bright smile.

“… Well,” Kihyun says, straightening up from his kneeling position on the floor. He quirks up a brow, resting his hands on his waist as he comes forward. Hyungwon’s throat goes dry, and he gulps thickly as he does his best to remain cool and suave on the outside despite his stuttering heartbeat. “This is definitely a surprise~”

“You uh… never mentioned you were a photographer,” Hyungwon says numbly, nervously chuckling at Kihyun’s growing proximity. Kihyun yelps out a laugh that takes Hyungwon back to the laugh he’d given that night in the bar, and the taller quite literally feels as if he can’t breathe.

“It’s not as if we had much time to talk that night,” Kihyun defends. He pauses then, his brow furrowing as he takes the final step to be close enough to Hyungwon for only the model to hear what he says. “Sorry about not calling you… I’ve just been so busy with, well, this,” he says, waving around the set, “that I haven’t had a chance to even eat a proper meal, much less call you to… talk.” He waggles a brow, and Hyungwon can’t help but laugh at the suggestive smirk.

“Don’t worry about it,” Hyungwon assures him, though he’s inwardly sighing in relief at the other’s words. Kihyun hums, glancing around at the others. A staff member catches his eye, and she tilts her head in silent question. Kihyun immediately steps forward, reaching up to straighten Hyungwon’s jacket in an effort to have a reason to stay close a bit longer without raising suspicion.

“If you don’t have anything going after this,” Kihyun murmurs, his voice low and careful, “then we should go get some coffee. You know, to talk.”

“Talk or… talk?” Hyungwon can’t help but ask, the tone in his voice making it clear he’s up for either possibility. Kihyun chuckles airily, dimples appearing at the tops of his cheeks, and Hyungwon decides he likes this laughter just as much as the other he’s heard.

“Real talk,” Kihyun replies. “Then, maybe later, we can head back to my place…? You know, depending on how coffee goes.” Hyungwon hums himself, nodding before even thinking about the proposition. Kihyun smirks, a breath in through his front teeth. He pulls his hands away, and he steps back to give Hyungwon a once-over. “I honestly think I prefer you without the suit~”

Hyungwon chokes on his breathing, scowling and muttering defiantly something about overly-confident men being such a turn-off. Kihyun rolls his eyes, able to tell by the blush on the taller’s cheeks how much he doesn’t believe it.

 

Hyungwon’s portion of the shoot ends in record time. He’s always had a knack for finding the best lighting, all the greatest angles. He poses almost effortlessly in the clothes, making the outfit seem regal. Kihyun doesn’t even have to say much aside from the occasional “Good” or “Keep that position a bit longer”. This is honestly the easiest he’s ever had it with a model before.

Usually, if a subject is this good, they’re way too smug for their own good. Kihyun’s even had to throw a few off the set before as they’d been entirely too difficult to work with. Insisting they know best, even though they could only do one pose that only looked good in only one lighting or one outfit. But, Hyungwon proves to be the exception, and Kihyun couldn’t be happier about it.

 

They finish soon enough, and Kihyun only hovers around long enough to pack his equipment and for Hyungwon to get back into his street clothes. The two then head out together, under the guise of discussing other possible bookings when asked by the other staff. They do their best to act as casual as possible, knowing the last thing either need is a rumor to start about any potential scandal.