Foxed up

Cold season inside stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

HJ´s pov.

 

 

 

Foxed up

 

 

 

“Don´t try to look tough, Donghae,” I said jokingly to my lover one evening, “to me you are nothing but cute.”

“That´s because I´ve been holding back, Hyukjae,” Donghae was apparently pricked by my words.

“Sure,” I mocked him.

Donghae was a fox. The real life Kitsune, if you want to use the folklore term, that could be pretty mischievous once in a while. I´ve been tricked by Donghae bunch of times since we´ve started dating, but half the times I saw right through him and the rest was quite mild. I didn´t have the wish for him to be fiercer, I loved him the way he was, only that I changed my opinion on Kitsunes. Since I´ve been dating a fox, I believed that they were a cute species.

 

“Have you heard about shadow people, Hyukjae?”

It was two days after the little scene about foxes. I have honestly forgotten about it completely because Donghae didn´t seem to be sulking at all. Until he asked me this weird question. I couldn´t but think that he was trying to scare me again. Should I go along with it or not?

“No, I haven´t,” I answered, continuing with the dinner preparation.

“They are something like ghosts but not really,” Donghae began explaining, leaning on the kitchen counter and watching me cut vegetables. “They lurk around, looking like shadows but having human or animal shapes.”

“Are they evil?” I asked, not really interested in shadow people but liking Donghae by my side.

“Not necessarily,” he shrugged, “but they can be. We don´t know much about them.”

I nodded my head to show him I was listening. Then I sent the cut vegetables on the pan to sizzle and started making the sauce. “And how do you know about them?”

“I heard about it from a friend and became a little worried about you,” Donghae dipped a finger into the bowl I was holding and I waited for his verdict. “Good.”

“I´m glad,” I smiled when the sauce passed the test. “Why would you be worried about me?”

“Because I went to a place where these shadow people hang out and that friend of mine told me that one of them started following me. But I can´t see it and I´m a fox, so it´s no big deal for me. You are more sensitive, though, I´m worried it will settle here and will bother you,” Donghae´s face was very serious. I guess this isn´t a joke then, or it´s a good quality one.

“Hm,” I frowned and looked thoroughly around, “I don´t see anything either, we are fine then.” I smiled at Donghae who simply shrugged. I finished making the dinner shortly after and we sat down to the table.

“You didn´t go to any dangerous places, right?” I didn´t want to sound like a nagging boyfriend but I couldn´t help but worry about Donghae. Where do shadow people hang out?

“Hyukjae,” Donghae rolled his eyes but I believed that he wanted to tell me what he was doing today. My boyfriend is a photographer and the job suits him well, only it makes me worried sick sometimes. On the other hand, he makes amazing photos. I always feel like looking into his soul when he shows me his work. Even the way he looks at me through his camera makes me feel all bubbly and loved.

“You don´t have to tell me,” I shrugged and tried to eat as if nothing, “I just wanted to know where you brought that shadow person from.”

“About that,” as expected, Donghae was all eager to tell me. “Most of the time shadow people appear in places with supernatural vibes like cemeteries or asylums. There are for example many sightings of shadow people in Chernobyl.”

“Donghae, I´m sorry to ask again,” I couldn´t find it in me to enjoy the food anymore, “but where did you go?” I must have looked especially worried because my lover didn´t tease me anymore and gave me a warm smile.

“Calm down, it was only a hospital,” he said, and in no way I felt any more relieved. “I went to visit a friend of mine that works in the morgue there. I needed an interview with a doctor and he offered to help me out.”

“I see,” I breathed out and felt a little embarrassed. I´m not acting too much like a mother, am I? Keeping my head down, I didn´t see the glint in Donghae´s eyes and I also didn´t see yet the new buddy in my apartment.

 

Donghae left early in the morning with a large backpack. I got up to see him go and to kiss him. Donghae had another business trip, this time for three days. I knew he was excited and expected he would make beautiful photos. I was a little down of course but still sent him away with a big smile on my face. Then I went to bed for one more hour.

Returning from work that day, I was being lazy. There was nobody expecting me and I wasn´t in mood for cooking either. I bought a take-out on the way and ate it while watching the TV. I felt slightly under the weather but I was always like that when Donghae left home, I didn´t pay my mood much attention at that point.

“Hey, how are you,” I leaned into the sofa with the phone pressed to my ear.

´Nice, the weather is no good but the accommodation is comfy,´ Donghae answered, the sound was unclear.

“I´m glad to hear that,” I hummed. We talked some more, about his day and about his tomorrow plans and he sounded tired so I wanted to hang up soon.

´By the way, Hyukjae,´ just before saying goodbye, Donghae sounded very serious, ´there really isn´t any shadow person with you?´

“No, there isn´t, silly,” I sighed, “I love you.”

´Okay, good night, love you too,´ Donghae finally hung up. What´s with him?

I went to sleep early as I had nothing better to do without Donghae. But the bad feeling I had the whole day only intensifi

Please log in to read the full chapter