The Timer

Cold season inside stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Eunhyuk´s pov

 

 

The Timer

 

 

I tried not to feel too humiliated when I arrived back to the old town I grew up in. I was one of those people that run away the first time they had the chance to a big city. I did school, did part-time and then worked in a company for two years. After that I got fed up with the city. I´ve always believed that I was an up to date guy who loved people and being busy, but I was wrong. During my time in Seoul I terribly missed the calmness of the countryside and the mountains. In the end I decided to return with the tail between my legs, hoping I wouldn´t be made fun of too much.

“Oh, the city guy is back!” It was my sister who jabbed me first.

“Did you miss me?” I asked, grimacing.

“Of course,” she chuckled and I entered the house hesitantly. My father was expecting me with a sly smile on his face and I could see what was coming.

That was how I simply and naturally became the grocery shop manager, taking over my retiring dad. It wasn´t my dream job but then again, it was probably the best job around. Somehow it was overly easy falling into this town´s stereotypes. One day I arrived and the next day I was already a part of the community. In only a few days I was even settled behind the shop´s counter and sipping from a hot tea. That was the greatest difference between the city and the old town. I´ve never settled properly in Seoul.

 

It was autumn already, I came back just in time for the bad weather. Sitting in the quiet shop and looking out of the show window, I wondered if I made a good choice to return. Raindrops were hitting the ground and I was about to turn on some music when the doorbell rang. I looked sleepily up but then blinked my eyes. New face. This guy isn´t from here.

“Hello,” he greeted me. The accent, yeah, definitely not from here.

“Good afternoon,” I responded and with my eyes watched the newcomer dive into the shop.

It was a man, around thirty years old with chestnut hair and lonely eyes. His skin was still tanned, reminding me of the hot summer I spent in the concrete jungle. Somehow I couldn´t take my eyes off of the man, he didn´t look really exotic but he obviously didn´t belong here. I was quite focused when he came up to the counter with a bottle of milk he probably ran out of.

“Are you new here?” I asked before I could stop myself. I never held back when I wanted something.

“I guess five years is still considered new,” he answered calmly, “and you?” The question came out probably only out of politeness.

“I´m from here but I was gone exploring lately,” I chuckled, “I´m Eunhyuk.”

“Donghae,” the chestnut haired man gave me his name and cash before taking the milk under his arm and turning away.

“Let´s have a drink together sometime!” I called after him. It was only a matter of time before I would become bored of my hometown, being friends with Donghae could help me stay entertained. He seems a little odd but comfortable in a way.

“That´s not a good idea,” Donghae stopped in the doorway. I began persuading him but he only gave me a solemn face and left.

Now, that sounds like a challenge. I grinned as I was watching Donghae through the show window. He walked with his back bent like other people do when it rains and they don´t have an umbrella. I smiled when I found out that Donghae dove into a workshop across the street. So he´s a carpenter? My mind quickly began putting various pieces to gether until it found a way to visit the worshop. As an up to date man, with image that I still wanted to uphold, the place I was living at was saddeningly uncool. I would welcome a new cupboard, what a great chance to visit! And I didn´t wait too long before putting my plan in motion. I like when things don´t stall, I like when something interesting piques me.

 

“Hello? Are you still open?” I barged into the workshop right after closing my store. There were two big rooms as for what I could see, both smelling of fresh wood and brightly lit. Hardware and pieces of wood were lying all over large heavy desks and various finished or unfinished furniture was standing in the corners. I found a freshly made cup of coffee on one of the desks and decided to wait next to it. And as expected, the cup´s owner returned not long after.

“Eunhyuk,” he was surprised to see me and I was pleased that he remembered my name.

“Hello again! There´s something I wanted to ask. I just moved back into our house and got the old flat on the first floor that belonged to my late grandma,” I began telling my story to the unsuspecting carpenter, “it´s nice to have my own place but it´s so damn old. I would use a new cupboard.” The conclusion to my speech was as sudden as my visit.

“I see,” Donghae nodded and his expression showed something similar to pain. I was confused.

“You think you could make it for me? Do you have time?” I leaned against the desk and moved the cup of coffee aside.

“Yeah sure, bring me the measurements and we can talk the price,” Donghae gave me his learnt phrase but no real smile.

“Alright, I will take your number,” I pulled out my phone, instinctively searching for a similar shiny object around the workshop. I located it not far from me and went to grab it quickly because it seemed like Donghae would want to stop me for some reason. “We can talk it out over a beer too,” I added to the chagrin of Donghae.

“I didn´t agree to go for a glass with you,” Donghae failed to stop me from exchanging numbers.

“Great, let me know when you are free,” I pocketed my phone and pushed myself away from the desk, “if you don´t call, I will be the one to choose when we would go.” I said definitively. Against stubborn and introverted people like Donghae, one had to be pushy. In the end, I didn´t want to do anything but to be friends with him.

“You will be sorry for talking to me,” Donghae said in a quiet voice. It wasn´t a mean jab, more like a careful threat.

“I don´t think so,” I retorted but gave Donghae a cheerful grin. “See you!”

 

But after leaving, I couldn´t help but feel strange. Why were Donghae´s words so ominous? Giving me an impression that something bad would happen, it was a little worrisome. Yet not enough to make me give up the newly found attraction, perhaps all the more I wanted to get to know Donghae. I decided to ask my folks about him, perhaps they would know more. And to my luck, there were even the neighbours sitting in the living room when I opened the door. More people means more information.

“Ah, if it isn´t our little Seoul man!” Ugh, I forgot about the teasing. Sigh, never mind.

“Hello,” I greeted politely, “I´m lucky, just when I wanted to ask something, I find the fountain of wisdom in here.”

“What do you need to know young man?” Seven pairs of eager eyes were only waiting to spill all the rumours they have gathered. Asa!

“Lee Donghae,” I began and saw both excitement and uneasiness, “isn´t he strange?”

“That,” my father began but mom shushed him. I gave up on the old man and turned to others that were more eager to tell me.

“He´s a nice fellow that Donghae,” the introduction was mild so far, “but he might be as well a grim reaper.”

“That´s going too far!” My mom scolded. “Donghae only has this kind of vibe.”

Please log in to read the full chapter