Chapter 1

The Bet

It was the second Thursday of the school year during lunch period and Jeonghan, a junior at K-Star Academy that focused on singing and acting, found himself sitting as his usual table in his usual spot with the rest of his friends, all of them sharing pleasant conversations while Jeonghan stared off dreamily into another direction.

"Dude, stare anymore and they may just notice the hearts in your eyes." Said Joshua, a transfer student from L.A. that came to the school to study music who also happened to be Jeonghan's best friend.

"Shut up! What if one of them hears you?" Jeonghan said in a hushed tone while trying to cover Joshua's mouth as the boy laughed out loud.

"I don't see what the big deal is or why everyone is so obsessed with them? They're just a bunch of stuck ups who think they're better than everyone else." Said Woozi, another junior that had a bright future ahead of him as producer, said as he flipped through his lyric book that he always carried around.

"Yeah, but they're also the most rich and talented people in the school and the most likely to get into the best colleges around the world. Everyone knows that if you wanna be someone then you need to be a part of their group." Said Dokyeom, a sophomore with one of the brightest smiles you'll ever see and one of the best vocals you'll ever hear.

"See! Dokyeomie gets it!" Jeonghan said. "Almost everyone wants to be in their shoes."

The group that they were all talking about were the elites of K-Star Academy. The school was already known for being the lead in sports, music, business and even medicine and every student that attended the high school already had promising futures ahead of them as the leaders of the next generations to come. The school was extremely prestigious and only the best of the best could attend. And just like most schools, even the best had their top elite that basically ruled everything and everyone around them. The group of boys called themselves EXO while the group of girls referred to themselves as Girl's Generation. It was weird that they actually named their cliques but it was a way for people to know who they were. And almost everyone in the entire school looked up to them and tried to join them but they were also super selective of who got to hang out with them. Most people couldn't even go near them because they felt unworthy of being in their presence and that just added to their appeal that much more. 

They were the kings and queens of the school and known throughout the entire student body...hell they were even well known among other competing high schools and just being associated with them could guarantee a spot in a promising college. Because they were known for having the highest grades as well as movie star good looks and Jeonghan, just like many others, was drawn to it all, and more importantly, drawn to a certain member of said group...That member being Oh Sehun.

Oh Sehun was rich, handsome and those that had the privilege of dating him in the past described him as the best they'd ever had in terms of a relationship. He was absolutely perfect and Jeonghan had his eyes set on him since he was just a freshman and the other was a sophomore. He still remembers accidentally bumping into the other in a rush to get to his class on the first day of school and the other had kindly directing him to the right room, all while wearing a devilishly handsome smile on his face. A smile that Jeonghan could still picture to this very day.

"Jeonghan.....Jeonghan!" And when Joshua realized he had lost his friend to another one of his daydreams, he slammed a textbook onto the table.

"Huh! What?" Jeonghan said in shock.

"You were thinking about him again, weren't you?"

"And if I was? Sehun is hot. I'm allowed to appreciate his good looks."

"I'm starting to think the only reason you even want to join their stupid clique is because of him." 

"Don't call them stupid! They're all great and amazing people and we would be lucky to be friends with them." Jeonghan said defensively.

"Actually...they asked me sit with them a couple of times but I turned them down." Woozi said while he was busy writing something down.

"They what?!" Jeonghan said loud enough to get the attention of a few tables around them. "Are you telling me that you actually had a chance to sit at their table and you just said no?!"

"Yeah...seemed kinda boring and I already have you lot as my friends. I don't need any more."

"Woozi, you idiot! You could've been my in!" Jeonghan replied dramatically.

And just as Jeonghan was in the middle of his dramatic act, four more boys approached their lunch table. The first pair being Chwe Vernon Hansol, another transfer student from New York who aspired to be a future rapper, and Boo Seungkwan, a talented young singer who was thinking about going into musical theater or pop music. The two were sophomores and they had been dating ever since their freshmen year and were practically inseparable. The second pair was made up of Jeon Wonwoo, a junior who was also interested in lyric writing and rapping, and Kim Mingyu, a tall and handsome sophomore that was interested in both rapping and acting as well as having a slight interest in business studies. Those two had been together since before even entering the academy and everyone knew they were going to be together well into the later parts of their lives.

The four boys had sat down and stared at Jeonghan with confused expressions on their faces as they watched the other sulk and lazily hit Woozi on his arm.

"Is he okay?" Seungkwan asked.

"Yeah...he just found out that Woozi rejected several offers to hang with the 'it' crowd." Joshua said with an amused look on his face as Jeonghan kept missing his attacks on Woozi's arm.

"He just found out about that? I'm surprised he didn't catch on with the rumors that spread around about Woozi after he first said no." Wonwoo said while opening a bottle of water.

"What rumors?" Vernon asked while eating.

"Basically, they told everyone that Woozi was super controlling because he thought he was better than everyone with his producing and song making. Practically described him being like a dictator or something like that." 

"They really said that?" Seungkwan asked looking shocked.

"Yeah but it's not like any of those rumors lasted long. It wasn't anything juicy and about a week later Sooyoung started dating someone on the football team so it became old news." Mingyu replied.

"Still, it's kinda scary that they would spread a rumor just because someone said no to them. Kinda makes me want to keep my distance from them." Dokyeom added.

"You guys are exaggerating. The guys in EXO are too good to spread any petty rumors like that. It was probably someone else that was just jealous that Woozi was on the receiving end of their kindness only to have this dummy turn them down." Jeonghan said in their defense as he retied his long blonde hair into a low ponytail.

"I think you think a little too highly of them sometimes." Joshua said which earned him a smack of his own on the side of his head. 

"You just don't respect them like you should." Jeonghan said while sticking out his tongue. "Anyway, where is my baby Dino?"

"I think he's still in the dance studio with Hoshi, Jun and Minghao." Dokyeom said.

The four that Dokyeom had just mentioned were the leaders of K-Star Academy's boy's dance team. Hoshi was the main leader while the others helped him come up with new choreographies that had won the school countless medals and awards. Minghao, and sophomore, and Jun, and junior, were both transfer students from different parts of China and the two had connected instantly after being the only ones in the entire school that had come from China. And Dino was the newest member that Hoshi had taken under his wing after discovering that the younger was extremely talented in the art of dancing and that he was also a quick and eager learner. 

"I hope Hoshi isn't working my little baby too hard." Jeonghan said with a pout.

"First, just because he's a freshman and he's our friend doesn't mean he's your baby. Second, don't blame Hoshi for being an amazing choreographer and Dino wanting to learn as much as he can from him." Woozi said. Hoshi was also a junior as well as Woozi's not-so-secret, secret crush since the last summer.

"Oh, protecting your boyfriend I see." Jeonghan said with a smirk.

"We're...not like that." 

"Yet." Seungkwan added.

And just as Woozi was about to throw a breadstick at the singer, they all heard Dino calling out for them from across the courtyard and following behind him were the rest of their dance group.

"Jeonghan hyung! I'm so sorry I'm late for lunch. But Hoshi was teaching me this really cool dance move and then Minghao and Jun were working on this really cool couples dance with a ribbon and I just had to stay and watch." The younger said excitedly.

"It's okay. As long as my baby didn't forget about me." Jeonghan said while attempted to pinch the younger's cheeks.

"Hyung, I already told you not to call me your baby! I'm a man!"

"You're a man but you're still my baby! Dino whose baby are you??"

"No, please don't make me do this."

"Dino....whose baby are you?"

"Don't fight it man. Just say it and Jeonghan will leave you alone." Dokyeom said with an amused look.

"This is why Dokyeom is my favorite!" Jeonghan said. "Dokyeom, whose fool are you?"

"Jeonghannie's fool." Dokyeom said with a bright smile which earned him an affectionate hair ruffle from the older.

"You could learn a thing or two from Dokyeomie. Now...whose baby are you?" Jeonghan asked again.

"Jeonghannie's baby." Dino said with a sigh of defeat. And just as he had said that, a group of seniors had walked by and overheard what the freshman had said, causing them to laugh. The others at the table laughed too and Jeonghan just looked proud.

Soon after that, the bell had rang indicating that lunch was over and that it was time for everyone to get to their next class.

"Dino, let me take you to your next class!" Jeonghan said.

"But hyung, it's already the second week! I'm pretty sure I can find my class on my own this time!"

"And I would believe you if you didn't get lost yesterday and had to call one of us to come find you."

"Yeah, dude how did you even end up on the roof?" Jun asked while trying to stifle a laugh.

"Hey! I was confused and I asked for directions and some senior told me that those stairs would lead me to my class!"

"And you believed him? The door clearly has a sign that reads 'Rooftop - Do Not Enter' and you still took them! Freshmen are so cute and gullible." Vernon said while laughing so hard he almost doubled over.

"Shut up Chwe!" Dino said while blushing in embarrassment.

"Okay, stop laughing at our youngest and walk me to class." Seungkwan said.

"Do I get a kiss first?" Vernon asked cheekily and Seungkwan just chuckled before giving his boyfriend and peck on the cheek and then grabbing ahold of his hand and heading off to their next class.

Seeing the act of cuteness, Jun turned towards Minghao with a suggestive look but Minghao just put his hand up, blocking Jun's incoming kiss and told the older something in Chinese which caused a blush to quickly spread over his entire face. After that the two quickly left and the others had a sneaking suspicion that the Chinese boys had no intention of going to their classes on time since they were heading in the opposite direction towards the nearest bathroom.

Dokyeom, being the naive ball of sunshine that he was, asked what everyone meant by that but Joshua just told him to forget about it and ushered him off to class with Hoshi and Woozi following behind them. 

Jeonghan was about to follow them with Dino when he noticed that Wonwoo and Mingyu had not left their seats. He had turned around to tell them to hurry when he caught sight of the two boys sharing a rather passionate kiss as they stayed seated on the lunch table. Dino was about to turn around as well but Jeonghan was quick to cover his eyes.

"Oh gross! No PDA in front of my baby!" Jeonghan said as he dragged Dino with him to get the younger to his class. Just as they were about to leave the courtyard and enter the building, he saw a staff member heading towards the direction he just came from. So being the good friend that he was, he turned over his shoulder and yelled "teacher" so that both Mingyu and Wonwoo would have enough time to collect their things and run before they were caught making out outside while classes were about to start.

By now the hallways were almost empty except for the select few that would be found trying to skip. Usually punks that didn't care for their academics and just wanted to kill some time with their friends instead of making use of the education that their parents were spending a lot of money on. In Jeonghan's head, he was lecturing all of them about how they should really be in class, when he was stopped in his thoughts by Dino asking him a question.

"I'm sorry Dino, can you repeat that?"

"Yeah, I was just asking if you knew a Choi Seungcheol. Some kids were talking about him in my morning class and he sounds like bad news. How come I've never seen him around?"

"Because Choi Seungcheol is just like what those kids described and he probably skips all the time so that's why you've never seen him. He's bad news Dino, and I don't want you mixing with him if you ever run into him, okay?"

"But why? What makes him so bad?"

"I'm sure you overheard how he's basically the outcast of the entire school. He's one of those guys that are always looking for trouble and I heard that he's even gotten into his fair share of physical fights over the past couple of years and I'm pretty sure I've heard that he goes around stealing parts for his bikes and . I've also heard that he's incredibly rude and an absolute . No one really wants to be his friend and he doesn't even try to make any! He likes keeping to himself and everyone else is fine with keeping their distance."

"He sounds...lonely." Dino said thoughtfully.

"It does sound lonely but it doesn't matter when it comes to Choi Seungcheol." Jeonghan said in a tone that told the younger that he was done talking about this particular topic. But Dino had one more question to ask.

"Hyung, do you really hate him that much?"

Jeonghan was caught off guard by the question and took a moment to think about it before he spoke. "I've never actually had a conversation with the guy but I've seen him around school over the past 3 years that I've been here. He doesn't give off good vibes and his reputation is enough to keep me away."

"But-"

"No buts, we're already at your class. Now be a good boy and learn something new!" Jeonghan said as he pushed the other through the classroom door. He stayed back just to watch Dino take his seat before he glanced at his watch. "! Only 6 minutes to get to class and it's upstairs on the opposite side of the building."

And with that, Jeonghan dashed through the empty halls. Within just 2 minutes he was already halfway there and he thanked his quick legs for being able to run so fast, perks of being one of the best players on the school's soccer team. He was about to turn the last corner that would lead to his classroom when he tripped over his own foot and fell. 

He expected to meet the hard ground but instead he was pressed up against a hard chest with a strong pair of arms wrapped around him. He glanced up slowly, already planning to let out a bunch of sorry's and thank you's but they all died on the tip of his tongue when he saw who he was being held by.

And of course it just happened to be the school's number one outcast. 

Choi Seungcheol.

"Yoon Jeonghan." The raven haired boy said.

"What?"

"You're Yoon Jeonghan, correct?" The other asked after letting go of the younger boy.

"I am....you know my name?" Jeonghan asked, completely shocked that the other knew who he was.

"Everyone knows K-Star Academy's angel." Seungcheol said as his cheeks became slightly pink while he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "I...Umm...Are you okay? You're not hurt are you?" he asked with his deep voice, sounding a lot quieter than Jeonghan had expected.

"I'm fine. But what are you doing? Why did you catch me?"

"You were falling and I didn't want you to hit your head." Jeonghan looked shocked for a second and Seungcheol shifted on his feet. "What?"

"I...I just thought that you would've let me fall and then had a good laugh." Jeonghan said and he swore he saw a look of hurt wash over the slightly taller boy's face. 

"...right. Well, I guess I wasn't feeling up for a laugh. Something tells me watching you fall wouldn't be all that funny to me." Seungcheol sounded sincere but Jeonghan couldn't believe it. They other had to be making fun of him and the thought made Jeonghan's blood boil. 

"Oh how wonderful that you decided to spare me the embarrassment because you figured I'm not entertaining enough." Jeonghan spat back. 

"What?" Seungcheol asked sounding confused at the other's sudden anger directed towards him.

"You heard me! Just stay away from me!"

"Look, if you're going to be an then fine. I was just trying to be nice." Seungcheol said, he voice slightly rising.

"Oh...I didn't know you knew how to be nice! I thought the entire concept was foreign to you considering all of the fights you've been in along with the reputation you hold."

Seungcheol didn't reply. For a split second Jeonghan thought that he had pissed the other off too much and that he would end up with a bloody nose or a black eye. But instead Seungcheol bent down and picked up his fallen books, handing them to Jeonghan.

"Whatever....don't be late to class." Seungcheol said before finally heading in the opposite direction.

Jeonghan was left standing in the hallway, completely confused about the entire encounter he just had and swore that he had to tell his friends about it later. But for now, he shrugged it off and ran to his class as he heard the 1 minute warning bell ring.

Little did he know that someone else had witnessed the little encounter as well and the entire thing brought a smile to this persons face as a plan formulated in his head.

 


A/N: Remember how I said I wouldn't start this fic until I was close to being done with DWC? I'm a damn liar LOL I'll try to work on both the best that I can!

I'm still super busy since it's hell week (exam week) but Hurricane Irma is supposed to affect my city so my classes were cancelled for Tuesday. Lowkey kinda scared for the storm but the cancellation of my classes gave me some more time to prepare for the exams which is the only reason I found time to update. Anyway, stay safe out there guys!!

Also, please remember to subscribe and comment! Let me know what you guys thought about the first chapter! Was it good? Was it bad? Stuff like that....and yeah, bye for now!