1/4

A Little Thing Called Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What do you like to do during your free time?"

"Well, I love to stay at home and invent new software and computer programmes that can benefit the world. My mum said we should be nice and do a part to make the world a better place as much as we can."

I nodded. My fingers wrapped around the wine glass and I brought it closer to my mouth to taste the fine wine. I scanned the guy sitting opposite from head to toe and sigh inwardly. Everything about him screams geek! I would totally love to fix his hair parting and get rid of that thick black rim spectacle that is hanging loosely on his face. I, Choi Jinri, have never thought that a person like him would be my blind date. Look, I mean, I do not have prejudice against guys who have out-of-the-world intelligence but we just can't click, like magnets with same poles repelling each other. I had no idea what he was talking about when he explained about his job, which involved the subject that I hated since young - Science, although I pretended to be interested in his sharing, which actually got him talking non-stop. I admired his capability and knowledge but I can't see myself living with this guy for the rest of my life. There is so much about life aside Chemical equation. 

"Oh, I think I have talked too much."

Glad you know, smarty pants.

"What do you do Jinri-ssi?"

"I work as an Editor for a Fashion magazine called High Cut."

He nodded, although I doubt my job is interesting enough for him to continue probing. 

"That's cool. It would be nice if you can do coverage on the latest Chemistry discoveries in your magazine."

I am so close to losing my . Boy, do you know what is fashion?

"Chemistry and fashion are two different things," I replied nicely.

Just like you and me. Urgh.

He chuckled, "That's true. My bad."

I wish a black hole me in right now so I don't have to face him anymore. 

"Jinri-ssi, my mum said alcohols are bad for health. You should stop drinking so much red wine."

I clenched my fist under the table. Does he know anything other things aside those that his mum told him?

"I don't drink a lot but thank you Woo Hyun-ssi." 

He froze and his smile faltered. 

"My name is Do Kyungsoo."

 

"So how was it my bestie? Kyungsoo is a pretty good catch, isn't it?"

I entered my car with a completely dampened mood while I answered the call from my best friend.

"Are you kidding me Jung Soojung?? He is a complete freak!!" 

I yelled into phone, venting out my anger and embarrassment, for confusing my blind date's name.

"Is he that bad?"

"My dear Soojung, you know my ideal type and Do Kyungsoo definitely don't fit into any of my criteria, well except that he is smart and he has a stable job. But," I frowned and tried to cool myself down with the air-condition in my car, "We have no common topic!! I trust that you would find me a suitable candidate. What happened?"

"Jinri, your expectations are too high! I tried to search for a suitable match among all the guys who are single in Jongin's social circle and even though Kyungsoo can be a little weird, he is nice. At least, you don't have to worry about your kids! If you and Kyungsoo get married, I am sure your kids will have a smart brain."

I rolled my eyes, "I am not going to marry him! Tell your husband to stop hanging out with that nerd before he turns weird, like him."

Soojung released a chuckle, "Jinri, you are not getting anymore younger. Didn't you hear the tick-tock sound of your ovaries?? You are thirty-three and you have to get married and have kids soon!"

Suddenly a loud cries emitted from the other side of the phone and I sighed. It must be Soojung's baby girl calling for her attention.

"I will try to look for someone that fits your criteria better alright? I got to go! See you soon love!"

"Thanks Soojung, love you."

The call ended and the screen turned black. Soojung is right. I am getting old and the older I get pregnant, the higher the risks of the pregnancy and that's not what I want to experience. But, I haven't found a suitable guy ever since my last relationship a decade ago. It was the hardest relationship to let go and I wondered if I would be happily married to my then boyfriend if I didn't insist on pursuing my studies in another continent that is miles away from Korea. 

Well, everything happens for a reason and I hope my true love will appear soon.

 

"Good morning, everybody."

Walking into the office with a Grande size Latte, I greeted my magazine team and my daily routine of meetings and proof-reading of articles begins. I love my job, and I love my team, although at times interns who are lost and confused can be the death of me. 

"Morning Editor Choi!" 

Meet my team. Joy, the happy pill of our office who never fails to spread her positive vibes. She is the Ms Know-It-All when it comes to make up and skin care products, which I trust her to handle the reviews of the cosmetics from sponsors. Heechul, probably the oldest in the office; single but a huge flirt. He may love to idle a lot at work but he puts in his 100% when it comes to Arts and Culture. You be surprised about his massive passion for Arts Exhibition. Daehwi, one of the youngest members in the team but his knowledge for Fashion surpassed everyone in the office. His life motto: Never wear the same thing twice. Not to mention, he has really expensive taste, which got me wonder if he really came from a wealthy family that is able to sustain his fashion collection because he i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter