I'm Home (Ficlet)

I'm Home (Ficlet)

 

 

++

 

 

The sky was beginning to turn dark. Woojin had slung his bag onto his shoulder, ready to go for a dance practice as he came out of his room and found his mother lighting up candles on the table.

 

Eomma, I’m going to go for practice.”

 

The middle-aged lady turned around, “Alright. Be careful, Woojin-ah. Try not to go home too late, or ask—”

“I’ll ask Jisung-hyung to drop me off if it’s too late, I know, Eomma,”

She curved her lips into a small smile.

“Don’t forget we have to go early tomorrow.”

“Yes, Eomma. Appa told you he’s coming home late tonight, didn’t he? Don’t forget to eat dinner.”

“Yes, he did. I’ll wait for your brother first,” she exclaimed—and Woojin let out a deep sigh.

“Okay. I’ll be going now,”

 

++

 

Mrs. Park sat on the table too big for herself with a bunch of home-cooked food—a pot of kimchi stew, small plates of side dishes and a plate of fried chicken, the dish her sons loved the most. The television in the living room was murmuring in a low voice when she heard someone opening the front door then closing it gently before the sound of footsteps approached the dining room.

 

Eomma, I’m home,”

 

She smiled brightly and turned around, to find her eldest son, Park Jihoon, standing behind her with his school uniform and his backpack still slung onto his shoulders. She got up and hugged the boy tightly before leading him to the dining table.

 

“You’re home,” she smiled, “Let’s eat dinner first, shall we? I cooked your favorite food!”

“Chicken!” Jihoon plopped himself onto the dining chair before picking a piece from the plate. Mrs. Park had scooped a bowl of rice for him before sitting down right across his son, watching him eat with a smile.

 

Jihoon loved the food she made the most. He even said she could cook for him forever, if she wanted to.

 

She wished she’d be able to.

 

Eomma, why are you not eating?”

“Watching you eat always makes me full,” she chuckled, but the sadness etched onto her complexion was evident. “Eat up, Jihoon-ah.”

 

Mrs. Park ended up skipping dinner that night as she brought Jihoon straight to the couch and played a movie. Jihoon had always liked watching movies, just like her, and she’d come home from work early once a week so she could have a movie night with Jihoon.

 

“I’m going to miss these movie nights,” he suddenly broke the silence, “and I’m going to miss your home-cooked food.”

Mrs. Park’s smile dissipated, replaced by a sorrowful expression as her lips started to quiver.

Eomma, you know I won’t be able to always come home,”

“Jihoon-ah…”

“I’m really sorry, Eomma…

“Jihoon-ah, it’s not your fault—”

She paused, unable to continue her sentence. She didn’t realize tears were beginning to flow down her cheeks.

Eomma, don’t cry,” Jihoon’s eyes were glassy, “It’s going to be harder for me if you keep crying, Eomma.”

“I miss you so much, Jihoon-ah,” she reached to hug Jihoon, “can’t you just—come home? It’s okay if you can’t stay, I just need to see you—”

“I’m sorry, I can’t,” Jihoon hugged his mother even tighter. “I’ll be fine, Eomma, you don’t have to worry about me,”

“Why is the world so cruel, Jihoon-ah…”

 

Mrs. Park was sobbing on Jihoon’s shoulder, unable to break the hug.

“I swear to God I will—”

“No,” he rubbed comforting circles on her mother’s back, “Eomma, you need to forgive and let go.”

 

But it’s been a year, and she hadn’t been able to let go. And maybe not next year, too. Even not the next five years, ten years—or even forever.

 

 

++

 

 

Body of High School Student, 17, Found After Missing for Three Days

 

A body of a male student was found in a ditch in Gung-dong, Guro-gu, Saturday morning (9/10/16) with a complete high school uniform. The body has been identified as Park Jihoon, 17, a student of Seoul Performing Arts School who was reported missing early Thursday morning (9/8/16).

 

Park was reported last seen Wednesday evening near the school area at 7pm. The missing report was received by the police by Thursday morning, in which a search was started off.

 

Signs of resistance, multiple incisions and stab wounds were discovered throughout the body, while the student’s belongings were nowhere to be found. The police had classified the case as homicide and are starting an investigation regarding the suspect; with a possibility of illegal organ trade being involved.

 

 

++

 

 

The date on the digital clock shows September 10th, 2017.

 

 

++