Chapter 03: Runaway

The Crown Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day had passed and turned to night. Seulgi looked up to the balcony from her desk. She had been seating there for almost three hours, writing her speech.

As the day turned to night, now she had realized that she was exhausted. She stretched out her hands into the air then she shifted her stare to the laptop screen, she read it carefully to each words and sentences, after that a little smile released from her lips. She felt satisfied.

"Tomorrow will be remarkable day." She mumbled to herself as she walked to her balcony. Seeing how serene her beloved city from up there was giving her chills down to her spine. She would like to see her beloved city up close. To mingle and knowing her people more closely, what her people looked like or even do.

So, the idea came cross her mind. She would runaway. Just for a night.

So, she rushed to her closet to get her casual clothes. She needed to present incognito. Although she conflicted whether their people truly aware of her existence or not.

It wasn't need too much time for her to dress up, she had been ready, with an oversize stripe shirt and blue jeans she looked pretty much like an evenly normal girl. She smiled at her reflection as she put a cap to her head.

At that time she had to think real hard as she walked in circle about how to get off from this Palace all alone and very secretly. That was when she reminded her conversation with Miss Joy a couple days ago, about the south gate of the Palace. The south gate was supposedly used as a shortcut entrance to enter the Palace back in the 90s because it was closer to the main dinner room in the south wing.

But after a couple of renovation, the south gate now was being used as the loading gate for the kitchen supplies, because it was directly linked to the kitchen. So by any means, it was such a perfect place to escape.

Seulgi grinned as she stepped outside from her room. But before reached to the south wing, she needed to put some acting to her guard.

"Your Royal Highness," They had bowed their head as they realized Seulgi's existence. "What makes you up this late, ma'am? Do you need any help?"

Seulgi gulped, she wasn't sure why she felt this nervous in front of her own guard.

"Well, I am..." She paused her word to think which area that was closer to the south wing. "I am going to the library to get some books. I can't sleep so, I intend to read some books there."

"Shall we come with you?" They asked.

She started to freak out. "No, no, no please! You should remain here just in case people were searching for me. I can go alone."

"Well understood, ma'am." With that word, Seulgi felt relief as she continued her mission tonight. She knew it may be caused trouble, but it didn't mean she couldn't prevent it. So, she promised that she would return before the morning comes.

It took a five minutes walk for her to reach the south wing from her place in the west wing, now she had arrived to the dinner room and was observing carefully toward the central kitchen area.

Because it passed midnight already, there were not many people in the kitchen. Only a few workers were present, unloading some supplies.

Seulgi joined them, holding a box of vegetables. She pretended to be the loading workers. Her heart was about to burst, she might get caught but she needed to remain calm.

And for the first time, she had realized how tough a life could be for some of her people. Seulgi felt an agony and discomfort somewhere in her heart, where she lived, eat, sleep in the most comfortable place in her country, there were some of her people that were still working in the middle of the night like this.

Seulgi kept helping the workers to unload the supplies from the truck.

"Are you a new worker here, miss?" Said one of the junior palace chef. He didn't recognize his Princess.

Seulgi hesitated to answer him, scared that she would get caught. "I... Yes, I am." She finally said while trying to hide her face under her cap.

"It's such a tough job for a woman to do this job."

"It is indeed hard, but I have no choice. It must be hard for you too."

"It is hard but we need money to live." He laughed as he patted Seulgi's shoulder. "Keep a good work." He said then back to do his job.

The supplies had done to deliver, with a swift movement Seulgi had sneaked in and jumped to the truck. Her smile was so wide as the truck had started to ignite and accelerated. She made it to runaway from the palace.

She wanted to scream so bad but she was holding in. The wind brushed her hair, finally she could see the beauty of Aberdeen up close. The well-constructed and infamous building in town, The Orange building which strangely wasn't even orange. People called it as The Orange Building because it was being owned by The Orange Corp, one of Everdeen's largest private company.

She shifted her gaze to the other place where she spotted a huge banner of hers. A picture from her investiture ceremony was being shown in the huge screen, in the heart of the city. She smiled as she finished reading the sentence behind her picture, "Gloriana HRH Crown Princess of Everdeen."

Seulgi squaled as the truck stopped so suddenly, she hit her head with the wooden boxes as she looked around of her surrounding, she decided to get off of the truck.

She jumped off the truck that had stopped due to traffic light and run to the pedestrian area beside the main road. For a moment, she felt amazed. Aberdeen seemed quite too busy even at night.

She decided to walk to the Queen Mary street, which was known as the most packed block of this city. Seulgi felt immersed by the crowd that surrounded her, when she passed by to the end of Queen Mary street, her attention got distracted by the violin player who looked very talented for a street performance. He could make it to the royal violinist team. After he finished his last piece, Seulgi put some coins to his violin case.

"You're playing it very well." She said as she smiled and turned to see other part of this city.

She kept walking along the street until she spotted a place she had been curious about. It was a pub. Without hesitating, she had entered the pub.

A loud music was welcoming her, she could see how crowd the place was, just by standing from the entrance. She felt bothered by the scents of cigarettes that was filled the air, but her curiousness was higher than anything. She was completely aware of her limit, she wouldn't cause any problem—it was a promise that she made before entering the pub.

She walked slowly, observing her surrounding. There were a lot of men and most of them were completely wasted.

With a thumping heart, she took a seat in the bar area. The bartender greeted her warmly. "Which drink do you prefer, Miss?"

She looked up, hesitating. "Anything, but something light."

"A scotch perhaps?"

Seulgi wasn't sure of it, but she just nodded. It didn't take a long time for the bartender to serve her. "One scotch for a beautiful woman. Please enjoy your drink." He winked as he put down the scotch on the table.

Seulgi smiled as she stared long enough to the scotch before her. She never had alcohol since she had just turned 18 this year. She always wondered how it tasted but sometime she thought that alcohol could make you feel stupid. Like what happened to his uncle when he embarassingly had drunk in front of his ministries. Seulgi thought that she wouldn't let that happen to her, but she wasn't in the palace and probably no one recognize her. All she needed to do was being careful and everything would be safe.

After the longass internal debate, she took a gulp of the scotch. She squirmed as she felt was burning.

"This is awful."

"You shouldn't drink it if it was awful."

Seulgi turned her face to the man that had talked to her a moment ago. Her eyes examined him, he was a fine looking guy with a tanned glowing skin, a strong scent of mint and musk were overflowing distracted her smell.

"I was curious."

"Is it your first time?" He moved his seat a bit closer to her. She was almost flinched, she thought he wouldn't notice it but he did. She had never been this close to any man in her life than with her cousin or uncle.

"I've turned 18 this year, so I kind of curious of this, but surprisingly it tastes awful." Seulgi whinned, but the later found it funny and he laughed.

"You should stick with a tea, perhaps."

Weirdly, Seulgi smiled. It could be an insult, but Seulgi clearly knew he wasn't meant to insult her. He was teasing her and Seulgi liked this guy.

"Perhaps, I should never have an alcohol. My uncle turns to be overly stupid because of it. It's pretty embarassing."

"You can, but you can't drink alone."

And that was a time where their eyes had met for the first time. Altough, Seulgi's eyes were almost looking invisible because of her cap, he could see how clear her eye was. Her eyes were beautiful to the point that he might get into it. But somehow, she looked rather familiar in his eyes.

"You look familiar. It feels like I've been seeing you somewhere."

Seulgi felt a nerve was spreading to her entire body. It was nonsense he would recognize her that she was a Princess, but if he could, she had to get away from him.

"I think you're mistaken me with someone else. Maybe I'll just leave, too." Seulgi put the money under the glass and set herself to leave. But the guy was feeling something might be not right. Maybe he had done some mistakes with his word earlier.

"Why are you so rushed?" He tried to stop her to go.

"It's okay, I think I should comeback before it gets too late." Seulgi said and swiveled around, ready to go, but before it happened the later was already caught her wrist.

"It's 3 AM in the morning and you're a woman. I'll take you home before it gets too dangerous."

"How could I trust you that you're not dangerous as well?"

Mino remained silent as he stared to Seulgi for a few second, finally he released her. "You're right. We're just a stranger."

Without him could ever say good bye, she had disappeared from his sight.

"Hi, bro! Why are you standing here?" Mino glanced at the guy who had been latching and clinging on his shoulder.

"I think I'm hallucinating, Yoon." Mino stated, calling the tall guy with a blonde hair by his name.

Yoon couldn't understand it. "What? What drugs you're taking?!" He shrieked dramatically.

"I am not taking any drugs, stupid." Mino glared at him

"Then why are you hallucinating?"

"I think I had seen the Crown Princess."

"Right, you're hallucinating, bro." Yoon put down his arm on Mino's shoulder, "Her Royal Highness in this place? Well, she's probably sleeping in her castle!"

•••

Seulgi rushed herself from the pub, the thought of her was being seen in the pub by her subjects would put her position in the difficult position. For a moment, she regretted of her foolishness.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter