-1-

1 Street Away

Peeping out her window, Dahyun spotted a peculiar figure - an unfamiliar one - carrying boxes and bags into the level 2 apartment of the building opposite hers. 

I've never seen her before. New neighbour, perhaps?

She thought nothing much about it, and thus proceeded back to practising her favourite instrument, the piano. You see, Dahyun is quite a musically-inclined girl - she knows how to play the guitar, sing, rap and even dance - and to add on to that, she's pretty charming too. Her personality, gosh, her heart is made of gold. She's so nice and smart albeit foolish, but anyone would fall head over heels for her. 

 

Anyone would fall head over heels for her.

 


 

"GOSH. Why can't I get this part right?! It's not even ---" 

It is supposed to be B flat, but Dahyun kept on playing middle C.

Before she could even finish scolding herself, a light knock on the door interupted her.

Dahyun dragged herself reluctantly out of the bench and peeked through the peephole. This person standing outside... she doesn't know her. What she do know is that this random visitor is really, out-of-the-world, gorgeous. She looks like a real life angel, and Dahyun couldn't quite believe what she's - or who - she's looking at. And within a split second, the door flew open and there she have it, a human-sized doll standing in front of her. 

"Hello! My name's Minatozaki Sana, but you can just call me Sana. I just moved into a apartment right opposite yours! So uhhh, I'm just getting to know the neighbourhood and all. Here! Have some spring rolls! I made them myself but... it isn't organic vegetables..."

God damn.

Sana.

Minatozaki Sana.

 

 

Wait... wha...what did she ask me?

"Erm... hello? Care for some spring rolls?" Sana reinforced when she's faced with a non-responding Dahyun.

"Uhhh... yeah. Yeah sure!! Wow thank you for this... and erm... my name is Dahyun."

She gently picked up one spring roll and placed it in , but her eyes were never leaving Sana. She was basically boring eyes into Sana. Although quite a looker herself, Dahyun was still amazed and taken aback by how beautiful someone (or more specifically Sana) could possibly be. Sana shuffled awkwardly in her step. It's never comfortable having someone stare at you this intensely anyways.

Amidst the awkwardness, Sana spotted that to the far left in Dahyun's apartment, it seats a Steinway & Sons grand piano. And before you know it, Sana invited herself into Dahyun's apartment; even wihout her approval.

"OH MY--- You play the piano?!"

"Yeah haha... I--"

"GOSH. Do you perhaps know how to play River Flows In You? By Yiruma?"

"Yeah I played--"

"Would you mind playing it for me?"

Well, that escalated quickly.

No doubt, Dahyun had never been so nervous playing the piano; it was a talent she was born with. 

 

1. CALM DOWN

2. CALM DOWN

3. CALM DOWN

Are you calm yet. 

No.

Damnit.

 

Gently, she lifted the fallboard open.

Her fingers naturally found its positions.

Her right hand started playing:

A  G#  A  G#

and her left hand flows accordingly, with much coordination, and with slight tremble:

F#  C#

It was just the introduction of the song; it's barely 1/8 of the piece, but she's already pretty damn nervous. 

1. 2. 3. Take a deep breath

She steadied her hand on the keyboard and, started playing the music.

Sana was leaning against the wall - head tilted to the left, her right leg propped up against it. She closed her eyes to enjoy this piece of music.

 

It held a significant meaning to her. 


 

About three minutes later, Dahyun finally finished the piece of music. Sana was so engrossed in it, she was disappointed it ended so quickly.

"So... was I okay? I mean like, did I play it well?"

A gleeful smile spread across her face.

"It was really good! It actually brought me back to when... uhhh..."

Sana started looking flustered. She brought her left hand to her neck and avoided eye contact with Dahyun.

"Do you have something you want to say?" Dahyun prompted.

"Probably next time. Would you mind if I come over on some days to listen to you play this piece?"

"Of course you may. You're welcomed here."

"Thank you... Dahyun."

The way Sana said her name... Dahyun thought it sounded like the best thing ever.


 

Over the next couple of weeks, Sana came over at least twice a week; sometimes even thrice. She really loved the way Dahyun played River Flows In You. Also, through all these piano 'sessions', the pair got closer to each other day by day. Every time after she finished playing that song (Sana only ever asks her to play that song anyways, so Dahyun's used to it by now), they would sit down and have casual talks with one another.

 

"What's your favourite piece, other than this?" 

"I... Promise not to think that I'm weird, but I only listen to this classical piece."

Okay whatever. She's so cute.

 

They started having this sense of trust in one another. They would talk about how their day went, what they ate for breakfast, who made them mad today etc. You could even call it a bond; they don't know when it started - she don't know when it started - but Sana herself started falling for Dahyun; slowly, but surely. Dahyun, on the other hand, had always liked Sana very much, and would take the time off dancing - one of her favourite classes - just to be home to play that three-minute long music for her (of course Sana doesn't know about this, if not by now, Sana would've already been in love with her). 

However on one such day, Sana decided to approach that one topic she had always wanted to avoid talking to anyone about. She realised that through their conversations, there are so many loopholes in what she tells Dahyun, and Dahyun will look so confused every time she said something like "This piece means a lot to me" or "nothing's painer than---".

Dahyun finished playing the last note of River Flows In You when Sana called her over to sit on the parapet, next to her.

"Dahyun, have you ever wondered why I always and only ask you to play that... that piece of music?"

Yes. Every single time. Countless number of times.

"Yeah...? Yes, I did and I still do. Why the sudden question though?"

"Well... I-- I don't know if I can tell you this..."

Sana took a deep breath. 

She began telling her story.

"I trust you a lot Dahyun... you see, I'm actually not that... normal, as how I'll put it. Actually, around seven years ago, I started having this severe pain in my knee, which i later found out was Ewing Sarcoma. It's a type of bone cancer. It started in my knee and... yeah. It's not that deadly to be honest. The doctor said I have 60% chance of five-year survival rate and hey, look at me now! It has already been seven years. Anyways, throughout my chemotherapy, my closest friend whom I met during my sessions, Chaeyoung, recommended this classical music to me. She told me it soothes her mind and that I should give it a try too. And surely it did help me. A lot. But her condition was way worst than mine. She was in the fourth stage of lung cancer when I met her and..."

Sana paused for a moment. She sat a little more upright and breathed in hard, as if mustering up her courage; if not, holding back her tears.

"Unfortunely, she died not long after her battle with it. I was pretty beaten up afterwards, like, I got to survive mine but she didn't. It . So the only way to remember her is by listening to this piece and..." Sana looked up only to see Dahyun gazing at her softly, as if she's the most precious and fragile thing ever. "I thought you played it really well."

"Thank you for trusting me so much, Sana. I--- I'm sorry that I never took notice about your knee,"

That was the first thing I noticed when Sana leaned against the wall, on our very first encounter.

"or the way you would sometimes talk about cancer."

I just didn't dare to ask you about it.

Lies. Dahyun always pondered about that. It keeps her awake on some nights thinking about it even.

"It's okay Dahyun, it's not your fault. Besides, I'm much better now, and I don't want to talk about what happened in the past. So let's move on yeah?"

 

Dahyun, I really trust you a lot.

But you cannot know about this.

I'm sorry.