Fears

Arranged Marriage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been quite some time now since they talked. She didn’t even know the reason why they stopped talking. All she knew was, she couldn’t contact him right when the arranged marriage was announced.

She needed courage. She needed him. Yet she couldn’t reach him.

But maybe, this would be best for her. Maybe, it would hurt her more to see him be okay with her marriage.

Ji Hyo’s been in love with him, and she’s been hiding it from him since the day she realized her feelings towards him.

It was an ordinary day, really. Just the two of them taking a much-needed break from work. He decided to bring her to Bora Bora, to try and convince her to make a Bora-Bora inspired theme for one of her hotels. But she wasn’t really fond of the waters.

She likes to look at them, yes, she just likes to bask in the glorious view that is the ocean, but she doesn’t like going in the great sea.

That was why she regretted going with him at first. She didn’t know he planned to take her snorkeling out in the open sea.

Yet, she boarded the boat with him.

“You don’t need to know how to swim to snorkel.” He grinned excitedly as he drove the boat to one of the snorkeling spots.

She rolled her eyes, giving him a death glare. “And this comes from somebody who swims in his spare time.”

He laughed at her, “That’s it. If you start drowning, I’ll be there to save you.” He said, trying to reassure her.

When they arrived, he quickly removed his shirt, grabbed for a mask and jumped off the board. However, she only looked at him from the safety of the boat.

“Come on Ji Hyo, you’re going to miss out. You have float belts, you won’t drown.”

“I’m okay in here, thank you very much.” She told him, as she crossed her arms in defiance.

When she didn’t move, Dong Wook made it his mission to bring her down.

He climbed back into the boat, and went straight to her. Dong Wook forcefully removed her shirt to reveal her bathing suit, laughing as she protested all the while. Then, he made sure that she had her floating belt before he picked her up.

YAAAAH! Put me down. She said, as she started to hit him in his chest.

He only grinned, “You only live once Ji Hyo, learn to take risks.”

Then he jumped down the boat. Ji Hyo grabbed him tightly, shut her eyes close and screamed her lungs out.

Seconds after, she could finally feel the water. They’re in the water now. And she’s still alive.

“See, I told you. I got you.” She opened her eyes to find him smiling triumphantly at her. He tightened his hold on her, reassuring her that they won’t drown.

That was when she felt it. Maybe it took her fear of the water or him protecting her from her fear, either way, she felt the sudden change in her emotions. Her heart started beating fast, and she’s suddenly aware of their closeness. He’s shirtless, and she’s in her bathing suit. Then, she blushed. That was when she let go of her hold of him, assuring him that she’d be fine now.

Her fear of the water was replaced by her fear of losing him.  You only live once Ji Hyo, learn to take risks. His words echoed through her mind that day. She couldn’t do it, she can’t take risks if it meant losing him.

He’s the only real friend she’s got, so she didn’t want to confess. But, if she only knew that she would lose him anyway, maybe she’d have taken the risk.

Now, it would only complicate things.

She sighed heavily. Why does she have to lose him too?

Weeks passed since the rumors broke, and her father finally had a talk with her. He neither confirmed nor denied the rumors, he just looked at her and told her that it was inevitable.

It was sort of out of character for her father to do such a thing like this. Mr. Song cared for her happiness, often telling her to take a break from work and asking her if she enjoys her work in the company, but maybe business does come first if an opportunity comes.

One night she overheard her parents talking,

I thought we’ve talked about this? You shouldn’t meddle with her personal life. Her mom said.

It’s for her sake, really. Her father replied.

That was all she heard.

Feeling betrayed by her parents, she called him one last time. She wanted to share what she’s feeling over this arranged marriage.

But he didn’t answer again. She stopped calling him after that.

Maybe he had his reasons, or maybe he’s just too busy to deal with her right now.

Song Ji Hyo met Chen Bolin that following day. She’s with her father, when she met him. He’s handsome and well mannered. That’s all she could say, maybe she’d have fallen for his good looks, but she didn’t need to. When her father and Mr. Bolin exchanged a look, Mr. Bolin took out a small red box from his suit jacket, opened it and showed her a simple ring. She was shocked, but she remained calm. Ji Hyo looked at her father, and he only nodded at her. That was it. She was engaged. No sweet words were needed, it was a business marriage, after all.

They’ve agreed that she wouldn’t wear the ring yet until a formal statement was released, so Mr. Bolin had it put in a necklace before placing it over her. They’ve adjourned the meeting, then Mr. Bolin kissed her hand as a farewell.

It’s funny how they say things would change when you get engaged, they say you would feel the strong love from your partner during his proposal, but none of that was true. It’s the curse of the rich and famous.

Not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter