And Now

Roads We Go Down

They started back the next day. Jaebum held Jinyoung's hand as long as he could during the drive back to the busy city—after moments of hesitation. Everything seemed brighter on the way back, their eyes, the grass fields, and the sky were all lighter. The people greeted them with smiles as they would past them in the cars, riding through more small towns on the way before being thrown back to the loud city.

The hallway to Jinyoung's loft was a comfortable one, much different to the cold hallway of Jaebum's place. The lights illuminating it were a soft white and the doors covering it were a tint of blue. It reminded Jaebum of Jinyoung, a weird comparison that oddly worked. Jaebum squeezed Jinyoung's hand as he thought deeply and strolled down the corridor, lazily and in no hurry.

 

"You're coming inside, right? You're probably tired from all that driving." Jinyoung asked as he pulled Jaebum from his mind and began to unlock his door. He looked back over his shoulder at Jaebum with a cocked brow and pushed the door to his empty loft open. The sound added a slight ease to Jaebum's heart.

 

Jaebum turned him with both hands on Jinyoung's waist, pulling him into a tight hug, "Jinyoung-ah, thank you for coming with me on this trip and for accepting me." He mumbled against Jinyoung's shoulder before pulling away, he didn't let his hands linger for long, too afraid that he'd never let go, "But, it's late. You should rest." He added.

 

Jinyoung scoffed, "And you shouldn't drive."

 

"I'm tired, not drunk." Jaebum corrected, looping his keys around his finger and spinning them.

 

"Ah, same difference. Stay the night." Jinyoung reached for his hand, grabbing his duffel in the other. He pulled Jaebum into the loft and Jaebum let him, with a sheepish smile on his lips, and shut the door behind them. Jaebum gave in almost immediately.

 

"My bag is in the truck." He said.

 

"You left some sweats here a while ago and you can borrow one of my shirts. See, now you have clothes to sleep in. I know you're not staying forever." Jinyoung replied, beginning to tidy up his bedroom—though it wasn't exactly a mess, more of things being misplaced. That's how he'd explained it.

 

Jaebum squinted his eyes, "But, could I?" He tested.

 

"Could you what?" Jinyoung asked, paying no mind to the question.

 

Jaebum stood straighter then, "Stay forever." He mumbled.

 

"As long as we split the rent." Jinyoung said, tossing a pillow from the bed at him with a light laugh and Jaebum just smiled, catching it as it hit his chest.

 

Jaebum watched from afar, eyeing Jinyoung intently. He could stare all he wanted and not feel as if he'd broken a law, "You're a miracle." He blurted out but he wasn't ashamed of himself for saying it. The atmosphere was different that time.

 

"We haven't even been dating for a week and we're already at the sappy compliments stage?" Jinyoung chuckled and Jaebum's stomach flipped at the official statement. Jinyoung turned towards him for a moment, "And I'm not a miracle, merely a blessing." He waved his hands in the air as if showing a banner in front of him.

 

Jaebum dismissed the comment, "I don't have to date you to know you're a miracle." Jinyoung smiled at that as he finished making the bed. He stepped towards Jaebum and circled his arms around Jaebum's neck.

 

"I don't have to date you to know you're cheesy." He mumbled as he leaned forward to peck Jaebum's lips. Though, as he pulled away, Jaebum chased him, capturing Jinyoung's lips in a warm kiss. They stayed like that more several moments, taking each others lips.

 

Jinyoung had pulled away—fully—first, smiling as he pressed his forehead against Jaebum's with a  soft hum, "I'm gonna take a shower." He escaped Jaebum's tight grip and disappeared into the restroom.

As Jaebum laid on his back with Jinyoung's head rested on his chest, he felt at ease with a rush of tiredness sweeping over him. He swiped his hand up and down Jinyoung's back in comfort and Jinyoung shifted closer to him. Considering the last time they'd slept in the same bed there were complications, he felt this was a better act—it was right, he has comfortable, and he found someone that was almost as weird as him in different and accepting ways. He smiled softly as he stared at the ceiling, the bumps on it seemed to spell out the answer to all his problems.

 

'HIM.'

 

Sleep came easy that night, patting him on the back and wishing him happiness.